1. Post #6161
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,065 Posts
    If I were to be using the id Tech 4 engine ("The doom 3 stuff") when it's GPL'd, would I be able to make games and sell them, and would I be required to give out the source code?
    You would be able to sell it and you would be obliged to give the source code to whomever buys it upon their request.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

2. Post #6162
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    You would be able to sell it and you would be obliged to give the source code to whomever buys it upon their request.
    But would that only include alterations to the engine? or also the game code?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #6163
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts
    Does anybody know anything about how TCP packets work, and why I would be getting a ERR_CONNRESET when too much data is being sent through? I wasn't aware there was a max size or anything along those lines..?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #6164
    December 2008
    181 Posts

Player gravity prediction (to predict airshots etc.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 20Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #6165
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    So, the creator of this game contacted us and accused us of stealing his idea. As professional indie developers we of course didn't get intimidated that easily so we politely replied that A) I started working on it earlier and B) it's the dorkly video which we got the idea from.
    But we couldn't have expected this!
    Nuts) <omfgnuts@gmail.com> posted:
    1 September 2011 15:02
    ok

1 September 2011 15:34
    i will sue you anyway

2 September 2011 22:38
    And i'm really serious, you cant use all mario stuff in your games
    As i'm employee of Nintendo of America, i'm really asking you to stop development, and delete all info from your website
    Gasp!
    After asking about details, he revealed that he's working at Britain Nintendo as a right hand for Rob Saunders and a part-time programmer. I guess as a part-time programmer for a huge concern you don't need to know how to animate a simple sprite.
    From the project page posted:
    i dont know how to code, if u can, show an example with any images animating in my game, i'm really stuck with animation.
    I've read several tutorials, but they wont work, so i'd be really happy if you could help :)
    But of course, maybe he's just pretending to not know how to program, because he's apparently working undercover for someone who left Nintendo 4 months ago!
    Clearly we were dealing with a mastermind.

After a little more back and forth, he decided to turn on spellcheck in an attempt to sound serious.
    Nuts) <omfgnuts@gmail.com> posted:
    Anyway, my google.code project is started earlier than yours, so just admit that you stole the idea.
    Or explain it somehow, and you'll be free, or you will get some emails from Nintendo directly

That's all.
    Best Regards.
    Tim Michael
    Nintendo: They're okay with you stealing their shit as long as you admit that you stole the idea of one of their employees.
    Then again, maybe this mysterious "Britain Nintendo of America" operates differently than the other Nintendos.

http://stabyourself.net/stuff/serious_business.pdf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 54Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6166
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,836 Posts
    I tried to be nice

Edited:

Okay correction: I tried to be nice at first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #6167
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    Which model formats would be good for supporting in my 3D game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #6168
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    collada?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

9. Post #6169
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts
    IQM is a great base for anything, really. You could easily roll that into anything you need with some modifications to the code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #6170
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Hooray, my mesh smoothing code worked first time!

Before:

After:

Normals are still a bit dodgy, need a better way to calculate them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Programming King Programming King x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #6171
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    I tried to be nice
    -snip- I'm confused and dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #6172
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts

Fixed all my bugs! High-five, please.

The client can now start off literally empty, with no assets like animations, scripts, levels, or images, and it can all stream in from the server with no issues. Hoo-rah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 8Winner Winner x 6 (list)

13. Post #6173
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,836 Posts
    You threatened to sue him using a spoofed email.
    You mean the part where it's the guy's email on top and it says my email after To: at the bottom?

Because that was sent to me.

Jeez.

Edited:

I sure hope you feel as stupid as that guy right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

14. Post #6174
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    You threatened to sue him using a spoofed email.
    it was the other dude that threatened to sue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #6175
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,065 Posts
    But would that only include alterations to the engine? or also the game code?
    It's GPL, so all code. If it was LGPL it would only include the alterations (Which... would be all of your code anyway, essentially)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #6176
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    It's GPL, so all code. If it was LGPL it would only include the alterations (Which... would be all of your code anyway, essentially)
    Ahh, also would he not have to release all code to anyone? (not just to the buyers?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #6177
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,065 Posts
    I believe the GPL only makes it mandatory to give source code to those who buy from you. The LGPL only adds the exception that the main product doesn't need to be GPL-compatible and only the source code to a modified library licensed with it has to be released under the LGPL and source provided at request.

Ie. If someone buys it, you should just ship the source code with the product for the sake of clarity — it's mandatory that when a client asks for the source code of your product they need to have the possibility to get the source code for the exact version you sold them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #6178
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts

What's that? Worried about RAM constraints on your mobile device? (or too lazy to make new sprites?)

Have no fear, rotation works in the animation editor too now!

Today is like, get shit done day, isn't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #6179
    Hearts
    July 2007
    3,179 Posts
    it was the other dude that threatened to sue
    Sorry, I thought Murkrow was the guy that was threatening. I'm dumb. Oh bad reading, where art thou?

Edited:

You mean the part where it's the guy's email on top and it says my email after To: at the bottom?

Because that was sent to me.

Jeez.

Edited:

I sure hope you feel as stupid as that guy right now
    I do. It's that you tried to be nice thing. I was under the impression that you were the other guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #6180
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    In even less waywo related news, the video has just surpassed 1 million views! Maybe I'll get an invite into the secret "1M youtube society".

And Giantbomb will have some sort of live gameplay of Mari0 (including coop) on their site sometime between 4 and 5 PST. That's in about 25 minutes!
    I hope the game doesn't crash a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

21. Post #6181
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    If I were making a game that had a huge amount of success and publicity I would surely release a WAYWO exclusive (through PMs) demo of my game *hint hint*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #6182
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,836 Posts
    If I were making a game that had a huge amount of success and publicity I would surely release a WAYWO exclusive (through PMs) demo of my game *hint hint*
    Well waywo did get an exclusive of Illusionary engine iirc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #6183
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    We did?
    I must have missed that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #6184
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    If I were to be using the id Tech 4 engine ("The doom 3 stuff") when it's GPL'd, would I be able to make games and sell them, and would I be required to give out the source code?
    You can sell GPL'd stuff, but it remains under the GPL. This means that if you sell someone a copy of your game, they can (legally) make a copy for their friends without paying you. You also have to make the modified source code available.

I think you can keep your assets (textures, models, etc.) under an all-rights-reserved license, or any other license of your choosing. Any code that directly links with GPL code, however, must also be GPL'd (this is the main difference between the LGPL and regular GPL). I'm not a lawyer nor do I consider myself particularly well informed about legal issues, etc.

Edited:

Wavefront OBJ or ASE for static models.
    IQM for player models, etc.

IQM is really awesome, as you can basically just mmap() it and load the whole damn thing (or whatever chunks of data you're interested in) right into the appropriate vertex buffers without much processing. It also supports modern features like adjacency information for tessellation and other geometry shader effects.

Edited:

Hooray, my mesh smoothing code worked first time!

-- epic landscapes --

Normals are still a bit dodgy, need a better way to calculate them.
    Is this marching cubes/tetrahedra? Storage in a flat 3-D array or an octree? I really want to do my terrain that way, but it looks a little intimidating, particularly issues that arise with level-of-detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #6185
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Git.

[jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git log
    fatal: bad default revision 'HEAD'
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git branch
    fatal: Failed to resolve HEAD as a valid ref.
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git checkout config
    Segmentation fault
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

26. Post #6186
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,065 Posts
    Your repository is borked. It's not like git can do shit if there's no valid HEAD.
    (Well, okay, I suppose you could somehow try to switch HEAD to point to an earlier rev)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

27. Post #6187
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Your repository is borked. It's not like git can do shit if there's no valid HEAD.
    (Well, okay, I suppose you could somehow try to switch HEAD to point to an earlier rev)
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git reflog --all
    8941024 refs/heads/config@{0}: commit: findConfigFolder now supports Windows.
    .. snip ..
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git checkout 8941024
    Segmentation fault
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$ git fsck
    error: Invalid HEAD
    fatal: loose object c8beae2d34f9e07d7f48a0de891bd6b7a1efc9ea (stored in .git/objects/c8/beae2d34f9e07d7f48a0de891bd6b7a1efc9ea) is corrupt
    [jookia@jookia-arch trainscroller-MSVC]$
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #6188
    April 2010
    2,313 Posts
    In even less waywo related news, the video has just surpassed 1 million views! Maybe I'll get an invite into the secret "1M youtube society".

And Giantbomb will have some sort of live gameplay of Mari0 (including coop) on their site sometime between 4 and 5 PST. That's in about 25 minutes!
    I hope the game doesn't crash a lot.
    Just tuned in, for everyone else here its literally starting right now

Edit:
    That was goddam awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #6189
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    How do you break git?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

30. Post #6190
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Is this marching cubes/tetrahedra? Storage in a flat 3-D array or an octree? I really want to do my terrain that way, but it looks a little intimidating, particularly issues that arise with level-of-detail.
    The voxel-to-mesh algorithm is marching cubes, but PolyVox takes care of that for me. It's stored in a 3D array whilst the mesh generation process takes place, but in terms of serialising to disk etc, only altered voxels are stored - everything else is generated from a seed on-the-fly.

As for LOD, the only thing you can do really with the current setup is generate the mesh as normal and strip out a few polys to increase FPS. Or try and adapt the system to use octrees, but I have no idea how you'd do that and it works fine as is so meh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #6191
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Maurice:

i will sue you anyway
    Assuming you haven't actually copied his code or his artwork, he shouldn't have any grounds to sue you personally for copying the "idea" of his game.

And i'm really serious, you cant use all mario stuff in your games
    As i'm employee of Nintendo of America, i'm really asking you to stop development, and delete all info from your website
    If I were you I'd tell him I'll remove all Nintendo copyrighted material if and when I receive a valid request from Nintendo's legal department. Random employees aren't authorized to make such demands (though he can notify the legal department in case they aren't already aware).

If Nintendo does complain, you don't have to stop development entirely, you just have to replace the graphics, music, etc. with alternatives that don't infringe Nintendo's rights. They have no right to forbid you from writing a generic sidescroller game with portals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #6192
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    GiantBomb knows so little about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #6193
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    That giantbomb live 4 player gameplay was the greatest thing I've ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #6194
    January 2009
    436 Posts
    Normally I'd stick with lurking unless I had content, but congrats Maurice and Murkrow!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #6195
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    How do you break git?
    Well, I was porting a function to a certain operating system which is prone to breaking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

36. Post #6196
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    If Nintendo does complain, you don't have to stop development entirely, you just have to replace the graphics, music, etc. with alternatives that don't infringe Nintendo's rights. They have no right to forbid you from writing a generic sidescroller game with portals.
    Super Tux0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

37. Post #6197
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,836 Posts
    Maurice:

Assuming you haven't actually copied his code or his artwork, he shouldn't have any grounds to sue you personally for copying the "idea" of his game.

If I were you I'd tell him I'll remove all Nintendo copyrighted material if and when I receive a valid request from Nintendo's legal department. Random employees aren't authorized to make such demands (though he can notify the legal department in case they aren't already aware).

He lied and he was a prick. If he'd approach us with a different attitude I'd probably link to his project saying "Hey look this guy also got the same idea so he tried making it on his own, check it out". But nope.

We'll be fine.

(In unrelated news, watching 4 guys aperture sciencing on a live stream was the best thing.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

38. Post #6198
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    If I was Miyamoto and some dude went to the legal depatment withthat I'd respond by commissioning a proper NDS. Port. The touch-screen interface really seems ideal for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #6199
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts

Fixed up my blending. Next big task that's looming ahead, proper lighting. Anyone got any ideas? Should I try Notchian lighting with a 3d texture (I lose normal mapping)? Ambient occlusion (will hit loading times of the segments pretty bad, and also lose normal mapping)? As many dynamic lights as a pixel shader can hold (Normal mapping and good performance, but very low light limit on any given mesh)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

40. Post #6200
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    If I was Miyamoto and some dude went to the legal depatment withthat I'd respond by commissioning a proper NDS. Port. The touch-screen interface really seems ideal for it.
    Still Alive DS already proved that it would be doable, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)