1. Post #81
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    This is so my kind of thread.
    Anyways, this is a selection of some of the classical music I like:
    Bach (the J.S):

I think it's very serene, peacefull (and played by a brilliant pianist).

Mahler: I love most of his symphonies, and in particular the third, fifth and sixth.
    This is the famous trombone theme from his third, well executed by Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra:
    As one might realise, when listening to Mahler he knew how to handle a large symphonic orchestra.
    Also, he was almost despised by the press in his lifetime, but he rose to new heighst of popularity in the sixties, because of such conductors as Bernstein.
    A famous qoute from Mahler regarding the purpose of a symphony:
    "A symphony needs to be a world in itself, it must contain everything".
    Apart from these two (very different) composer I like Rachmaninov (not sure i spelled that right), Prokofiev (another impossible russian name), Strauss, serialists such as Sc÷nberg and Weber and post-modernists like Stockhausen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Second Chopin album I have.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...o_pollini__f1/

Better than the other one imo, it's unbelievably good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Second Chopin album I have.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...o_pollini__f1/

Better than the other one imo, it's unbelievably good.
    I love live piano music, especially chopin, but I find it boring when recorded

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    You love piano concerts as compared to hearing it on a stereo?

Probably a given, I'd rather see the band play live too.

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    You love piano concerts as compared to hearing it on a stereo?

Probably a given, I'd rather see the band play live too.
    It's a bigger difference, I still like to listen to recorded metal but I don't like listening to recorded piano pieces at all

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    It's a bigger difference, I still like to listen to recorded metal but I don't like listening to recorded piano pieces at all
    Yeah I get you, it's cool "watching" music being played.

However I don't see the big difference when it's just piano. Maybe that's just me.

7. Post #87
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts
    Well, I'm sort of breaking the rules here, but here's an orchestral symphonic poem that I didn't know existed until a couple weeks ago:
    Sensemaya by Silvestre Revueltas in 1938.
    It's awesome. Percussion in here is spectacular.

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Yeah I get you, it's cool "watching" music being played.

However I don't see the big difference when it's just piano. Maybe that's just me.
    Well, pianists can be very expressive
    Some make more faces than guitarists using a wah

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Well, pianists can be very expressive
    Some make more faces than guitarists using a wah
    I beg to differ

10. Post #90
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    I beg to differ

I think they look about the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #91
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts

I think they look about the same.

This is a normal expression for Maxim Vengerov.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

12. Post #92
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    This is so my kind of thread.
    Anyways, this is a selection of some of the classical music I like:
    Bach (the J.S):

I think it's very serene, peacefull (and played by a brilliant pianist).

Mahler: I love most of his symphonies, and in particular the third, fifth and sixth.
    This is the famous trombone theme from his third, well executed by Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra:
    As one might realise, when listening to Mahler he knew how to handle a large symphonic orchestra.
    Also, he was almost despised by the press in his lifetime, but he rose to new heighst of popularity in the sixties, because of such conductors as Bernstein.
    A famous qoute from Mahler regarding the purpose of a symphony:
    "A symphony needs to be a world in itself, it must contain everything".
    Apart from these two (very different) composer I like Rachmaninov (not sure i spelled that right), Prokofiev (another impossible russian name), Strauss, serialists such as Sc÷nberg and Weber and post-modernists like Stockhausen.
    I don't know whether to rate agree or heart! We'll go with heart.

Mahlerites unite!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Any albums with this instrument?

14. Post #94
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    That's just a bong.

Also is this thread just albums or more 'classical' music styles in general?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    That's just a bong.

Also is this thread just albums or more 'classical' music styles in general?
    Bit of both. It'll be the ground for classical music discussion if it stays active. I'll make sure it does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    The Five are essential listening; very unique style that is often recognizable in their prolific Russian successors, and in my opinion, a lot of their work is much more interesting than their Western Romantic counterparts. I started with Pictures at an Exhibition.

[URL="

[URL]

And their piano stuff just makes me melt.

[URL]

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    It looks medieval

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    It looks medieval
    500BC it was invented. :smug:

19. Post #99
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Anyone here ever heard of Leo Ornstein? He mostly wrote piano music, but the music he wrote for it is absolutely amazing:

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...e_of_pyramids/

I'll get this album.

Maybe I probably should've put "World Music" in the thread title too. Oh well...

21. Post #101
    September 2010
    39 Posts

This is a normal expression for Maxim Vengerov.
    Generally I just like musicians expressing their feelings, of course up to a certain point - the point where I can't tell whether they are playing music or... Well you get the point.

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Generally I just like musicians expressing their feelings
    Yeah, I generally put my priorities for their expression rather than technicalities.

Someone can "produce" or "play really well", but it's about the heart they put into it that matters.

23. Post #103
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    I usually hate when soloists are really flashy, but I love it when a conductor looks like he's fighting an invisible army.

Case in point: Leonard Bernstein

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #104
    September 2010
    39 Posts

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/alb...e_of_pyramids/

I'll get this album.

Maybe I probably should've put "World Music" in the thread title too. Oh well...
    You know, I just wondered about how they saved the music they played. I mean, notes weren't invented until the 11'th century...? Do you have any idea?

Edited:

I usually hate when soloists are really flashy, but I love it when a conductor looks like he's fighting an invisible army.

Case in point: Leonard Bernstein

As said before: Up to a certain point.

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    You know, I just wondered about how they saved the music they played. I mean, notes weren't invented until the 11'th century...? Do you have any idea?

Edited:

As said before: Up to a certain point.
    The western world requires everything "written" or something for the evidence.

Traditions are passed down from generation to generation and then simply enjoyed in small cult groups.
    I don't think they had complex, precise compositions but merely a "state of mind" which they concentrate on and simply play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Anyone here ever heard of Leo Ornstein? He mostly wrote piano music, but the music he wrote for it is absolutely amazing:

Wow this is amazing, I've been trying to find more stuff like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    Some music I just listened to:
    I love Prokofiev and this movement in particular is wonderfully dissonant.
    (If you don't like opera, then cut to 4:00)
    Die Frau ohne Schatten hasn't been played a lot in history, but I saw it in The Royal Danish Opera two weeks ago, and it's probably the best concert I ever attended.
    This part is the end of second act, where the four main characters descend to hell. Richard Strauss requested an off-stage band to play that brass theme. And so they did. So they did...

28. Post #108
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Wow this is amazing, I've been trying to find more stuff like this.
    I'd also check out some of his more dissonant pieces, they're just fun to listen to :buddy:

29. Post #109
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Yeah what's the deal with that?
    malmsteen

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    Any more piano/romantic period albums anyone can recommend? Preferably "progressive" in style like a symphony or something.

Yeah I don't know what I'm saying, gimme more. :smith:

31. Post #111
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts
    Any more piano/romantic period albums anyone can recommend? Preferably "progressive" in style like a symphony or something.

Yeah I don't know what I'm saying, gimme more. :smith:
    Go for Rachmaninoff's C minor Piano Concerto. Horowitz or Rubinstein should be good. Maybe Bernstein too, haven't heard his.

Edit:
    Check out the Symphony for Solo Piano by Charles Valentin Alkan, best performer of it is none other than Marc Andre Hamelin.

Edited:

Or the Concerto for Solo Piano, also by Alkan and Hamelin.
    Dang how could I forget about one of my favorite composers. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Check out the Symphony for Solo Piano by Charles Valentin Alkan, best performer of it is none other than Marc Andre Hamelin.

Edited:

Or the Concerto for Solo Piano, also by Alkan and Hamelin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    I'd also check out some of his more dissonant pieces, they're just fun to listen to :buddy:
    It's funny how dissonance has developed, mozart's disonances is actually really sweety sounding whereas a lot of recent music is just plain twisted.

34. Post #114
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Not that there's anything wrong with that

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    I thought all music had dissonance?

36. Post #116
    April 2011
    1,040 Posts
    Technically yes. Bach hid augmented 4ths all over the place in his violin fugues even though in his time the chord was denounced as "the devil's sound".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #117
    March 2011
    1,824 Posts
    Music has varying degrees of dissonance. If you listen to music through the ages you see a more consistent use of dissonance being used freely as opposed to being harmonically resolved. Essentially, it's just the way it's used rather than whether or not it has it.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,547 Posts
    So experimentation in general is basically pure dissonance.

I guess you could give some modern classical composers too :3:

Gustav Holst was quite good.

Also I heard "The Lark Ascender".

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,764 Posts
    Basically, Bach. Its just a shame there are no recordings of his music from him, exactly as he intended it to be played

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    So experimentation in general is basically pure dissonance.

I guess you could give some modern classical composers too :3:
    Might as well turn this thread into an Art Music thread seeing as a lot of people have posted contemporary and 20th century composers already.

Also: