1. Post #121
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    Yeah, Scönberg talked about the "emancipation" (liberation) of the dissonance; it should be just as important as the consonance.
    And you gotta admit, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities, when you aren't bound to the original harmonization.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    Schoenberg went from being a composer I was outwardly opposed to to being one of my favorites

His early tonal stuff is pretty good, too.

Edited:

Currently learning this by him:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    My favourite composers right now are Shostakovich, Chopin and William Byrd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #124
    April 2011
    1,041 Posts
    Debussy's Clair de Lune
    Good interpretation here:

5. Post #125
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Very tasteful performance, it's a shame a lot of people don't listen to Debussy's orchestral work and instead just listen to his piano compositions, he composed a lot of his most famous piano pieces when he was still just a student.

6. Post #126
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    Schoenberg went from being a composer I was outwardly opposed to to being one of my favorites

His early tonal stuff is pretty good, too.

Edited:

Currently learning this by him:

I think there is a quite similar major third running around in these two pieces...

Edited:

Just noticed I'm being an ass... Sorry, wasn't thinking.

7. Post #127
    April 2011
    1,041 Posts
    Very tasteful performance, it's a shame a lot of people don't listen to Debussy's orchestral work and instead just listen to his piano compositions, he composed a lot of his most famous piano pieces when he was still just a student.
    I've played 2 of his Nocturnes. For some trumped up reason the music institution that heads the program I was in decided not to hire a choir for Sirenes so I was only able to do Nuages and Fetes. :smith: I want to play Sirenes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #128
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    I've played 2 of his Nocturnes. For some trumped up reason the music institution that heads the program I was in decided not to hire a choir for Sirenes so I was only able to do Nuages and Fetes. :smith: I want to play Sirenes.
    Are you at a conservatoire or something? I've got to apply to music courses soon and I'm not sure what to go for.

9. Post #129
    April 2011
    1,041 Posts
    Are you at a conservatoire or something? I've got to apply to music courses soon and I'm not sure what to go for.
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: well, sort of. I wasn't in a conservatory as a college student, I was in the preparatory program of a conservatory. By the way I'm technically homeschooled, so the prep conservatory was only a weekly activity. I'm not exactly sure how music courses work as electives, and I'm definitely not sure how UK courses work.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: well, sort of. I wasn't in a conservatory as a college student, I was in the preparatory program of a conservatory. By the way I'm technically homeschooled, so the prep conservatory was only a weekly activity. I'm not exactly sure how music courses work as electives, and I'm definitely not sure how UK courses work.
    I'm guessing your ambitions are to become a professional classically trained musician?

11. Post #131
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    I'm guessing your ambitions are to become a professional classically trained musician?
    That would make two of us, then. Although I'm more interested in conducting/composing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    composed/recorded anything?

Get a soundcloud so I can follow :3:

13. Post #133
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    Well, currently I've only composed a few pieces, none of which are in a listenable state. I've considered getting a soundcloud before, I'll have to check it out.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    in a listenable state.
    :colbert:

Don't be like that... experimental is what I want to hear. And that is what you will give me. :smug:

15. Post #135
    April 2011
    1,041 Posts
    :colbert:

Don't be like that... experimental is what I want to hear. And that is what you will give me. :smug:
    I have several hundred unfinished music files. Most are under 5 seconds long, and the phrasing is terrible. (My main weakness is modal change. I cannot ever seem to be able to follow the classic Sonata form I V :|: V I. I end up staying in tonic forever :smith:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Were there any "conceptual" classical composers? Who were clear in what they were going to convey.

Like Shakespeare but in music form.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    I have several hundred unfinished music files. Most are under 5 seconds long, and the phrasing is terrible. (My main weakness is modal change. I cannot ever seem to be able to follow the classic Sonata form I V :|: V I. I end up staying in tonic forever :smith:)
    Modal transitions are fucking hard to get to sound good ;__;
    All I can manage compositional wise is between I and vi and between vi and V

18. Post #138
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Were there any "conceptual" classical composers? Who were clear in what they were going to convey.

Like Shakespeare but in music form.
    Well Berlioz's 'Symophonie fantastique' was one of the first major orchestral works that conveyed a vivid story with a programme, but Vivaldi's four seasons is a much more basic take on programme music. Sorry if this isn't the sort of thing you're after, but Berlioz is a great composer and orchestrator.

Edited:

I struggle with this as well, I started as a contemporary musician so my tonality was always really static but I've been trying to compose outside of that mindset recently, maybe try using 'romantic' chromatic chords to aid modulations?

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Listening to my Brahms - Bruno Walter compilation. Sounds friggin' awesome.

20. Post #140
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    What piece/orchestra?

Another conductor you should check out is Herbert Von Karajan, awesome guy.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    What piece/orchestra?
    urm... Symphony No. 1 in C Minor I think?

That's off the top of my head too. :D

22. Post #142
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    First symphony's good. Be sure to check out both his piano concertos, his third and fourth symphonies, and the tragic overture.

Edited:

Arturo Toscanini does a GREAT tragic overture, btw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Yes, I have Brahms' tragic overture by Bruno Walter. Can't wait to hear all the symphonies though, they're great listens imo.

24. Post #144
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    If you like Brahms, you should check out Antonin Dvorak. In particular, Stabat Mater, 7th symphony and piano concerto.

Wish I could recommend certain recordings but unfortunately with Dvorak I often don't have a preference :sigh:

25. Post #145
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I thought I'd finally follow up and post the slave songs that became what we now call blues and gospel. Obviously, as slaves sang these songs, as either secret codes to lead others on the way to freedom from slavery, or to keep them happy, they couldn't exactly write them down anywhere, since they hardly knew how to! So, I'll try my best to post versions that I find are very good versions of the songs. Most times, in the lyrics, you'll hear the coding. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot is obviously telling you to keep low, and carry on as the Underground Railroad will bring you "home" or to freedom. Follow The Drinking Gourd is about following the Big Dipper, which points to the North Star and meeting up with a mysterious conductor on the Underground Railroad known as Peg Leg Joe.

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot-(As sung by Etta James)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thz1zDAytzU

Follow The Drinking Gourd-(As sung by Richie Havens)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBOP8...eature=related

Go Down Moses- (Performed by...?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5Zd...eature=related
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    I don't think a classical thread would be complete without this piece:

It is truly narcissistic and pretentious, but at the same time it is the only piece in history that relies solely on the listeners interpretation of it.

27. Post #147
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    So horribly pretentious, especially timing the movements.

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Are there any classical artists that did unconventional things. Seems like a lot of what I'm hearing is too "complexly good sounding?"

29. Post #149
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    Schoenberg was very unconventional, he just later on reformed his methods.

Listen to Leo Ornstein, he rejected the idea that he had to write either dissonant pieces or "tonal" pieces and just wrote whatever he wanted. Also, Ligeti was a very unconventional composer, as was Sergei Prokofiev.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Awesome, care to post an album or two. Place to start?

31. Post #151
    March 2011
    1,858 Posts
    Well, here's Ligeti's Poem for 100 Metronomes which he wrote as a jab to his fellow Avant-Garde composers:

And here's Prokofiev's Suggestion Diabolique

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    592 Posts
    I like where this thread is going! Since we've gone through a lot more modern stuff, can we venture even further towards the present? If not then I'll put aside the James MacMillan and go way back with some Gregorian Chant! Not a great quality recording unfortunately but I love it's simplicity and it always leaves me with a very poignant calm feeling.

Since it came up earlier, I was wondering how many composers we have here on facepunch? I applied as a long shot aside a regular university application to study composition at UK conservatories and was universally rejected... Was wondering if anyone else has applied/is studying/would like to study at conservatory? Definitely need to broaden my compositional horizons and where I live makes it quite difficult for me to do so.

33. Post #153
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    While it is true that Schönberg revolutionized the way we compose music (the twelwe-tone method), he still tried to remain loyal to the great german tradition; he used the traditional forms: The adagio, scherzo, adagietto and so forth.

Contrary to Schönberg were composers such as Charles Ives, Edgar Varese, Erik Satie and Karlheinz Stockhausen. They all wanted to change not only the way we compose music, but also the way we listen, think and perceive it.
    They were truly reformists, though I'm to lazy to post examples of all... (Also explore the relation between sound and music - there is much to be considered)

34. Post #154
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I'm hoping to find some Minstrel's music to post here too. You know that during slavery, when Minstrels traveled about, they were at first all white and made fun of blacks, with many stereotypes. But, when there were some blacks who were free, who could sing well, or dance, or whatever, they would be accepted into Minstrelry groups. As accustomed, the white performers painted their faces black, but, get this, the blacks had to paint their faces too!

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    I can imagine in the 1800s them hillbilies plucking away.

I need some of that stuff :D

36. Post #156
    March 2010
    4,152 Posts
    album
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    A highly respected gentleman in Chernarus
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    Tchaikovsky is where its at
    Russian composition and music as a whole is where it is at. Then again, I love Western European music as well, but God damn the Rite of Spring is one of my favorite works.

Edited:

Are there any classical artists that did unconventional things. Seems like a lot of what I'm hearing is too "complexly good sounding?"
    There are plenty of composers throughout time that decided to break the rules. Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused a riot when it premiered at a French opera house. Atonal music, along with serialism, is something you should look into if you're looking for generally bat-shit insane music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I can imagine in the 1800s them hillbilies plucking away.

I need some of that stuff :D
    I've been trying to find some more. I've got some chicken-pickin' on a song from South Carolina called Bee Gum. It's hard as fuck to find anything relating to Minstrel songs. Bee Gum luckily is because of the banjo-chicken pickin'.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    I seriously cannot find any albums of minstrel music. It's dumb, maybe that guy could release a few? :)

40. Post #160
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    An awful lot of it was just unconventional for the time and really forward thinking like beethoven. Shostakovich was really interesting because he had to try and compose around the communist government but would often hide codes in his music and produced some pretty dissonant stuff. But it's not all fucked up avant garde which I guess is your thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)