1. Post #161
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I seriously cannot find any albums of minstrel music. It's dumb, maybe that guy could release a few? :)
    I think that it was just a general "music of the times" kinda thing. By that I mean that once it was possibly to record music, it was just...outdated. It was the beginning of ragtime and other more conventional music styles. So Minstrelry was old and done with. Plus, capturing Minstrel music anywhere besides an actual outdoorsy "concert" it wouldn't have been the same.

2. Post #162
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    i don't know much about classical still but you might like to hear Giacinto Scelsi, AKz. Guattro pezzi is bgreat, microtonal stuff. lots of dissonance, and more focus on timbre than on notes
    i guess this is in the modern age though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    I think that it was just a general "music of the times" kinda thing. By that I mean that once it was possibly to record music, it was just...outdated. It was the beginning of ragtime and other more conventional music styles. So Minstrelry was old and done with. Plus, capturing Minstrel music anywhere besides an actual outdoorsy "concert" it wouldn't have been the same.
    Fair enough.

I do like Ragtime music a lot, but there are definitely going to be artists that stuck to traditions.

4. Post #164
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    Fair enough.

I do like Ragtime music a lot, but there are definitely going to be artists that stuck to traditions.
    yea people still record traditional music. I'm always into recommendations for that sort of thing :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    I'm fairly sure cigar-box guitars were around in the 1800s. Need more info.

6. Post #166
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    Thought I might give some input on the composers I posted before.
    Erik Satie was a French composer, who might not seem as important as Schönberg for an example, but when you give him a closer look, he actually seems ahead of his time in the sense that he rejected the traditional purpose of music; to inspire emotions and thoughts.
    Instead of a composer he saw himself as a "Sound-cleanser", he wanted music to be "furniture" in existence.
    A piece some of you might know, Gnossienes (a word he came up with himself) nr. 1:

I do find this piece enthralling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Stravinsky's rite of spring caused a riot at a premiere because it was particularly unconventional

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Although most of this is the guy advertising his banjos, these are pretty much what a Minstrel's banjo would've looked like, as well as just traditional music.

and a reenactment of a minstrel show in the 1950's.

9. Post #169

May 2011
    182 Posts
    Bach - Air is fucking amazing. Here's the best version I've found so far:

Edited:

Oh yeah, I also compose classical music. Should I put up a piece here? Agree for yes, Disagree for no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    There is no classical section in my nearest vinyl record store :-(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #171
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    There is no classical section in my nearest vinyl record store :-(
    Isn't one for me either, all my records I've either gotten from my parents or eBay.

Although once at a garage sale I picked up a 4 LP set of Mahler's first 2 symphonies for 50 cents :smug:

12. Post #172
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    You not allowed to be smug. :colbert:

Do you like any electronic styles of classical.

Switched on Bach for example?

13. Post #173
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    I love Switched-on Bach, it's one of my favorite albums. Wendy Carlos is a freakin' genius.

I generally adore electronic music, such as Stockhausen, Xenakis, etc.

14. Post #174
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Prokoviev's grandson, Gabriel, composed a concerto for turntables.
    I quite enjoyed it.

15. Post #175
    August 2010
    1,447 Posts
    You not allowed to be smug. :colbert:

Do you like any electronic styles of classical.

Switched on Bach for example?

Debussy + synthesizer = <3

Edited:

btw, someone recommend a good bartok album

16. Post #176
    Just a Homestuck OC with a massive dick
    April 2011
    2,521 Posts
    Eddie Morton. Midnight Crew. That is all.

17. Post #177
    September 2010
    39 Posts
    Personally I'm very fond of Sviatoslav Richter's recordings of Bartoks works for solo piano.
    I'll fetch you a recording:

18. Post #178
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    Piano Concerto no.1 in E-minor with Krystian Zimmerman and Pierre Boulez is quite excellent.

19. Post #179
    A highly respected gentleman in Chernarus
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    I think I'm at a point where I'm becoming more knowledgeable about orchestral music, and thus I'm at that stupid phase (I think) everyone goes through when they find a genre or artist that they thoroughly enjoy and becoming jealous when other people know about that particular genre/artist. But I'm quickly growing out of it, it just happened for a few weeks when people I came into contact with at a choral camp acted like the shit for knowing who Morten Lauridsen was.

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    I want something moving, and when I say that I mean on par with Schindler's List emotion. Go.

21. Post #181
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    Listen to all of Mahler's Symphony no.9 in D-major, it's the most moving piece I've ever heard. It is sad and regretful while being hopeful and forward looking:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Yeah Mahler is truly great. Modern composers too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    Well it's already been posted here, but Berg's Violin Concerto "to the memory of an angel" is a very moving piece. He wrote it as a sort of requiem for an 18-year-old girl who died from polio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

24. Post #184

May 2011
    182 Posts
    Come on, my classical brothers. We must keep this thread going.

25. Post #185
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Come on, my classical brothers. We must keep this thread going.
    Heil Pianee.

27. Post #187
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    rate me winners you fucks that sonata rules
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    rate me winners you fucks that sonata rules
    What is a sonata?

29. Post #189
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    it's a classical composition with a form of intro, exposition, development, and recapitulation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    Recapitulation eh?

Cool.

31. Post #191
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    well I guess. It's probably the most common song form of the romantic era next to quartets and concertos
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    March 2010
    4,152 Posts
    Just don't ask for an album of a sonata, Akayz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    well there are sonata albums.

Edited:

I have beethoven's piano sonatas, all of them, and his violin sonatas

34. Post #194
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    I can highly recommend the Ashkenazy complete recordings of Scriabin's sonatas.

35. Post #195
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,786 Posts
    I like Grooveshark's Classical station.

36. Post #196
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Just more random trivia about most black musicians pre-1900's and up till about the 50's. There was a section in time where the Piedmont Blues which originated from from the Piedmont area of North Carolina down to South Carolina, was fairly popular. A large percent of Piedmont Bluesmen held the title of "Blind Boy," "Blind Dog," or just "Blind." It's believed that there were SO MANY "Blind" musicians (like Blind Boy Fuller, for example,) because they were useless. They couldn't be slaves, they couldn't do manual labor, so they taught themselves how to play gee-tar and other instruments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    The Disabled Kid
    Dennab
    February 2011
    4,770 Posts
    I really like Beethoven's symphony's for homework.

38. Post #198
    May 2010
    425 Posts
    Figured this thread could do with more baroque.

Scarlatti
    Handel
    Vivaldi
    Bach

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,780 Posts
    well there are sonata albums.
    Can I have an album of sonatas pls?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    October 2009
    5,177 Posts
    I love the Classical era imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)