1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,183 Posts
    [h2]Introduction[/h2]
    [release]Hi my name is The Political Gamer or TPG or whatever variation I need to use to fit the character limit, you may know me from such threads as Back from Valve - TF2 Edtion but today I have come to talk about 1 thing and one thing only. The stuff I could't say about Meet the Medic till now.

My viewing started by being taken into a dark room were everyone was working on Source Filmmaker related videos including what would later be the Portal 2 Investment Opportunity videos but that's not what I was there for. I was sat down on a couch along with Robin and another member of the TF2 team. The version of Meet the Medic I saw was not a complied version like what you all saw but a un-rendered version missing minor details. (Watching a "making of" a Pixar movie should give you a good idea what it looked like for me.) As the video went on I spotted all the things I just knew people would love such as the Spy in the fridge. As the video went on the jaw had a hard time keeping attached to my face as the one-liners and visual jokes hit me one after another. After the video was other Robin asked me what I thought. Naturally I responded that it was fantastic and that the TF2 community would love it but then things took a turn for the interesting.[/release]
    [h2]A time before TF2[/h2]
    [release]As some of you manged to figure out this was the Medic's first uber but that would mean that Meet the Medic along with possibly all other "Meet the" videos sans maybe Meet the Sandvich and The Mac update video take place in a world before the TF2 we have today.

Now I want you to think about that for a second, what would the TF2 world be like without an uber or possibly without other weapons. That almost all the stock weapons at some point had prototypes and the quick fix is one example.

Now this is were the TF2 Emporium and other model makers step in. Next time you are building a weapon and having a hard time coming up with an idea think back to this time. So go forth and shape what TF2 was even before the first Beta, before the "Meet the" videos. However, weapons were not the only thing was a blast from the past...[/release]
    [h2]The clones, the clones![/h2]
    [release]Now if anything stood out among the fantastic jokes its the large mass of soldier descending upon the hospital. This was the first time since the since the 2nd trailer that more then 1 class was shown multiple times on the same screen. Now back in the 2nd trailer this was just a way of making the guns look really powerful and at the time the TF2 team had no idea what was coming down the road. But this is 2011 TF2, a TF2 with a back-story where many of the unknown of release TF2 has been explained but not this.

So I asked Robin what I thought was the most logical explanation on why there are so many soldiers and while he didn't really give a defiant answer it promoted me to push harder at the idea of clones. Why do both teams have the same people on both sides, why is it that when you re-spawn your not a new person but identical to what you looked like when you died. The only logical explication... clones! Now I know some of you are thinking that I am looking to hard into this and I would agree with you if Valve didn't bring this back up again themselves. By putting this army of soldiers into a video like this Valve has verified that there is something more to re-spawning as the same person and I think I might know why.[/release]
    [h2]Theory crafting is in this year[/h2]
    [release]Before going into this section keep in mind this is my own speculation biased on what I saw at Valve and what I can guess biased on the back-story we have so take this analysis with a few grains of salt as Valve may pick to tackle this problem in their own way.

Now we know both BLU and RED are run by 2 brothers Blutarch Mann and Redmond Mann the twin sons of Zepheniah Mann. These 2 men have been going at it since the 1850s or possibly even before. We also know that Blutarch first assembled the BLU team before Redmond assembled his but this may be irrelevant. Now fast forward to the 1960s and the RED vs. BLU war is still going on. For years these companies have been fighting with a near limitless supply of men in clearly abandon bases, but how? As I indicated in my early chapter this was done by the use of clones but who makes these clones? My guess would be Mann co. as the Australians could theoretically have the the technology to produce clones while supplying the teams with identical weapons. So here we are in an endless war of men, clones vs. clones, an ever-changing war of hats and control points fueled by the innovation of Mann co. all created to please Blutarch's and Redmond's desires to crush the other brother and take over the world. So next time you spawn in TF2 think about this, did you just waste another clone or is something even more sinister afoot. That is something for Valve to create and for us to sit back and watch the fireworks.[/release]
    [h2]Pointless Trivia and Whatnot[/h2]
    [release][list][*]When I asked Robin if the new Medic backpack was the quick-fix he responded with a "could be."[*]The medigun and backpack looked less detailed then it does now.[*]The map Meet the Medic takes place on its a modified version of Badwater[*]The video ended with a few seconds left on the timer possibly hiding the F2P announcement.[*]The soldiers did not originality have hats on or different weapons, they were all the same.[/list][/release]

Oh and last but not least have a video of Robin Atkin Downes recording his lines for Meet the Medic

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 51Informative x 6Disagree x 2Funny x 2Friendly x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    492 Posts
    Hmm... I feel like reading...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2011
    616 Posts
    I love your topics, political gamer, always very interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    2,247 Posts
    I think you thought about this too much, Political.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,716 Posts
    "Now we know both BLU and RED are run by 2 bothers Blutarch Mann"
    Typo

Interesting read btw.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,085 Posts
    That video was terrible (the recording one)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 66 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,447 Posts
    That whole cloning part reminded me way too much of the "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" TF2 story.

Other than that, it was a great read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    9,019 Posts
    Very interesing to read. Sadly, I was hoping for pics behind the scenes of meet the medic or some concept from the old updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    9,560 Posts
    Very interesing to read. Sadly, I was hoping for pics behind the scenes of meet the medic or some concept from the old updates.
    I doubt they'd let him take pictures.

10. Post #10
    May 2011
    1,915 Posts
    [*]The map Meet the Medic takes place on its a modified version of Badwater
    I still want it as a map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2011
    1,306 Posts
    The map Meet the Medic takes place on its a modified version of Badwater
    Wait, seriously? It looks nothing like any part of Badwater.

Edited:
    Would you happen to know which part of Badwater it is based on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,325 Posts
    Aw, I was expecting something revealing/new. Oh well, neato read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2010
    192 Posts
    Goddamn, use some commas. When I read this it reminded me of a bimbo chick who says everything in one run-on sentence in one breath.

The content is good, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2009
    1,766 Posts

Edited:
    Maybe the part near Thunder Mountain?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2009
    953 Posts

Edited:
    It's a reskinned version of the giant hill at the beginning of the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    3,165 Posts
    Well I'm guessing the cut/pushed back Dumpster Soldier pack would probably be the soldier's equivalent of prototype weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Now we know both BLU and RED are run by 2 brothers Blutarch Mann and Redmond Mann the twin sons of Zepheniah Mann. These 2 men have been going at it since the 1850s or possibly even before. We also know that Blutarch first assembled the BLU team before Redmond assembled his but this may be irrelevant. Now fast forward to the 1960s and the RED vs. BLU war is still going on. For years these companies have been fighting with a near limitless supply of men in clearly abandon bases, but how? As I indicated in my early chapter this was done by the use of clones but who makes these clones? My guess would be Mann co. as the Australians could theoretically have the the technology to produce clones while supplying the teams with identical weapons. So here we are in an endless war of men, clones vs. clones, an ever-changing war of hats and control points fueled by the innovation of Mann co. all created to please Blutarch's and Redmond's desires to crush the other brother and take over the world. So next time you spawn in TF2 think about this, did you just waste another clone or is something even more sinister afoot. That is something for Valve to create and for us to sit back and watch the fireworks.
    I thought of this as well. A Venture Brothers approach could work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Well I'm guessing the cut/pushed back Dumpster Soldier pack would probably be the soldier's equivalent of prototype weapons.
    That better not be cut.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,803 Posts
    Badwater is heavily modified then. It's pretty much the basic shape of the beginning but with everything completely different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2009
    4,181 Posts
    It would be cool if Meet the Pyro somehow explained cloning like MtM explained the Uber.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    January 2010
    3,165 Posts
    It would be cool if Meet the Pyro somehow explained cloning like MtM explained the Uber.
    Valve will just troll everyone and explain crits with Meet the Pyro, and then save explaining cloning in a movie afterwards or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,088 Posts
    the video was pointless, but the end was funny.

23. Post #23
    March 2010
    399 Posts
    Re-Upload the video to youtube -.-, i think its usa only
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,088 Posts
    it shows Robin Atkins Downes saying 3 lines with cheap windows movie maker effects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,803 Posts
    I saw it and I'm UKish.
    But don't worry, it's fucking shite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,727 Posts
    Has anyone found out what magazine the Pyro was reading? No matter when I pause the video, I can't quite make it what the magazine says. At one point I was thinking that it said something about booty.

27. Post #27
    October 2009
    3,011 Posts
    Has anyone found out what magazine the Pyro was reading? No matter when I pause the video, I can't quite make it what the magazine says. At one point I was thinking that it said something about booty.
    I can make out hale's silhouette on the left side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,828 Posts
    I hope Meet the Pyro is as awesome as Medic's one, if not moreso. Also, if they do another Meet the Team after Pyro, I hope it's Miss Pauling, since she's typically the aide around the fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,762 Posts
    Seems to be a Saxton Hale comic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,095 Posts
    The fact Robin recorded the "Nein" makes me wonder... Maybe they did record other lines for the medic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,311 Posts
    I think it could be a Saxton Hale comic. Wiki says it's possibly the Jarate Master comic, but I'm not THAT sure

32. Post #32
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,762 Posts
    The fact Robin recorded the "Nein" makes me wonder... Maybe they did record other lines for the medic?
    Possibly yelling, in-German, at Archimedes.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    807 Posts
    The Insult That Made a "Jarate Master" Out of Sniper.

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Fi...omic_large.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2011
    2,948 Posts
    good read. a very good read.

35. Post #35
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    17,036 Posts
    Clones? Oh amn this is jsut like Monday Night Combat!

Talking about that, I never tought about that, , I mean, Why I should find a logical explanation? Respawn, identical classes, It's just... part of the game

Now that robin said that, what if they are working on a game mode like Left 4 Dead survival? in which you have to fight endless hordes of IA enemies

36. Post #36
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,762 Posts
    [release]2:49 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: I read your topic. Somehow I was not surprised by anything that was in it :v
    2:49 PM - The Political Gamer: good or bad thing?
    2:49 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: I feel psychic
    2:50 PM - The Political Gamer: :v
    2:50 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: seriously, I had the idea of clones quite a long time ago
    2:50 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: I remember drawing up concepts for a map, behind the spawnrooms were a bunch of tubes in which there are classes just suspended in them. Cloning tubes :v
    2:51 PM - The Political Gamer: :o
    2:52 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: I feel as if my mind is one with the Walker
    2:52 PM - [FAUCᴱT] Psychopath: except less australian[/release]

And prototype weaponry reminds me of Populus' Junkyard Justice pack which could be seen in the F2P promotional video. A shotgun concept that I've got a friend modelling too, it too falls under the category of "prototype weaponry." I look forward to what the community has to contribute now that the idea is out in the air.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    4,869 Posts
    My theory:

Medic revives all the dead mercenaries using technology either created by mann. co or by himself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    May 2011
    1,306 Posts
    And prototype weaponry reminds me of Populus' Junkyard Justice pack which could be seen in the F2P promotional video.
    Eh, I disagree, that doesn't seem like prototype weaponry. More like what he would make if RED/BLU/The Administrator deemed him unfit to go into combat, so that he could still fight. Of course, that wouldn't actually happen canonically, but he'd still get the weapons somehow. Also, nice find, I never noticed that before.

It's a reskinned version of the giant hill at the beginning of the map.
    Oh. I just rewatched a couple minutes ago, and now that you mention it, it does look kinda the same. With the sloping hill and the scattered rocks. But it is heavily modified.

39. Post #39
    February 2010
    2,734 Posts
    My theory:

Medic revives all the dead mercenaries using technology either created by mann. co or by himself.
    How does he revive mercenaries who have been gibbed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,325 Posts
    How does he revive mercenaries who have been gibbed?
    One part at a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)