1. Post #1

June 2011
    25 Posts
    HEy Facepunch
    im wanna buy garrys mod so i need an source game right?
    then i could download teamfortress 2 ( its free ) or?

mfg gallexme2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2011
    759 Posts
    As far as I know, the Source SDK (needed for GMOD) dosen't come with free games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3

June 2011
    25 Posts
    but before team fortress was free u could buy it with garrys mod but now not
    so if someone buy tf2 + gmod before it was free he cant use garrys mod anymore ?

4. Post #4
    June 2011
    2 Posts
    I bought TF2 and Gmod before TF2 was free, and Gmod doesn't start for me now. It only reaches the background screen, says loading the the corner for a few seconds, then crashes. I don't know if that's because TF2 is free now, or something else. I'll have to get CS:S or some other source game to find out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

5. Post #5

June 2011
    25 Posts
    thats crap ! for the people who has buy the game with team fortress 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,370 Posts
    thats crap ! for the people who has buy the game with team fortress 2
    It's the same deal as when Portal was released for free.

As nutnuts said, free editions of games don't come with the Source SDK Base, which is what GMod needs to work.

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    2 Posts
    Yea I'll post my results when I get CS:S.
    Hopefully it works.
    If not then :smithicide:

8. Post #8
    December 2010
    1,802 Posts
    In order to get the free TF2 you need to own a steam game. In order to buy GMod, you need to own a source engine game.

You need another game.

9. Post #9

June 2011
    12 Posts
    I rushed this update out. I had to merge in a LOT of changes from Valve’s updated code to make it compatible with the TF2 F2P engine update.
    http://www.garrysmod.com/

Does it works now or i need always to buy another game?

10. Post #10
    October 2006
    20 Posts
    http://www.garrysmod.com/

Does it works now or i need always to buy another game?
    What Flapader said was that irregardless of whether Garrysmod would work with it - TF2 itself requires you to own another game. That means you have to Buy another game just to get TF2 to download to get Garrysmod to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

June 2011
    12 Posts
    Excuse me, TF2 requires to own another game? And where is written? TF2 is a now a FREE to play game and it doesn't requires another games to play.

So can i buy GMOD and play with TF2?
    I have also another games on my account but this is not my question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2010
    1,802 Posts
    Excuse me, TF2 requires to own another game? And where is written? TF2 is a now a FREE to play game and it doesn't requires another games to play.

So can i buy GMOD and play with TF2?
    I have also another games on my account but this is not my question.
    In order to access the free TF2 you have to own at least one steam game. You can't buy GMod without owning one source engine game, meaning you need to buy at least one other game before having TF2 content.

If you had read my first post you would have understood that.

Edited:

I'm not 100% sure about needing to own a game to get TF2, but i'm pretty certain that's the case.

Edited:

Just checked; I was wrong about that. It should work.

13. Post #13

June 2011
    12 Posts
    ok thanks man :D

14. Post #14
    Support TheBroHouse!
    January 2011
    1,237 Posts
    If TF2 is free now and Garry's Mod doesn't accept content from promotional or complimentary games then..

How the fuck are players going to get models if they haven't bought TF2?

Correct me I'm wrong

15. Post #15
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,399 Posts
    If TF2 is free now and Garry's Mod doesn't accept content from promotional or complimentary games then..

Correct me I'm wrong
    You will get the models, sounds, maps, etc. I know this because I did it. I also nabbed' Portal when it was free and also got everything from it. You just cannot use TF2 as the 'Required Source Game'

16. Post #16

Correct me I'm wrong
    It's not a case of Garrysmod not accepting promo / comp games, it's a case of Valve doesn't ship them with the SDK Base. If you upgrade to a premium account you'll most likely (I have no idea about this, but I think this is the case) get access to the SDK and the SDK base.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2009
    30 Posts
    Seems like it would be a bit of a screw over on Valve's part to people who did buy the game, who would now get rewarded by being forced to buy another game just to use the ones they already paid for. I can't test it, but judging by what Flap said I guess that's not the case then?

18. Post #18

June 2011
    12 Posts
    I am pretty sure that the free Team Fortress 2 comes with Source Sdk Base. I have never bought or been gifted a game on steam. I did the ATI promo (half-life 2 lost coast, half-life 2 deathmatch), and the free Portal promo, and the free tf2 game. When i looked in tools, i had Source SDK, and Source SDK Base 2006. I know a little while ago (like a month ago) I checked and I didn't have it. So I think that the free tf2 comes with it. And I just checked valve's games that come with source sdk and tf2 is still in their.

19. Post #19

June 2011
    2 Posts
    i could run it just fine with only team fortress on my computer

20. Post #20
    October 2010
    11,774 Posts
    i could run it just fine with only team fortress on my computer
    Does it even matter? TF2 is barely used for anything on Gmod anyway, except for stuff like Machinima. CSS content is used a lot more often and on a lot more maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2007
    63 Posts
    Does it even matter? TF2 is barely used for anything on Gmod anyway, except for stuff like Machinima. CSS content is used a lot more often and on a lot more maps.
    Yeah right that's why 90% of the gmod content on youtube is TF2 related.

Also : It doesn't make any sense :

- You need to own a source game in order to play TF2... who told you that? Tf2 is freaking free, if you have a blank account you can download and play that without the need of another steam game. Else it wouldn't be free...

22. Post #22
    July 2010
    9 Posts
    As far as I know, the Source SDK (needed for GMOD) dosen't come with free games.
    Source SDK comes with the free version of TF2 because it is a valve-made game. Everything else is a demo or a user mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2008
    1,847 Posts
    Source SDK comes with the free version of TF2 because it is a valve-made game. Everything else is a demo or a user mod.
    No, it does not. Otherwise everyone who got nothing but the free Portal would have Source SDK according to you.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,370 Posts
    No, it does not. Otherwise everyone who got nothing but the free Portal would have Source SDK according to you.
    'Sup.

Do your homework before making authoritative statements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    boop
    July 2009
    2,177 Posts
    I still think its better for everyone to buy CSS and Gmod. You'll have to buy CSS eventually because most gamemodes seem to use it in some way, and its cheaper if you buy it off the bat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,370 Posts
    How is it cheaper if you buy it first

27. Post #27
    February 2011
    89 Posts
    Get tf2>Download Source SDK>make a new source mod>attempt to run mod>Steam asks for install of SDK base>install>Gmod works.

Edited:

'Sup.

TF2 SDK, not source sdk base.

28. Post #28

June 2011
    9 Posts
    Source SDK is free now, let me find it somewhere in my database of pictures...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,399 Posts
    Source SDK is free now, let me find it somewhere in my database of pictures...
    No it isnt. for the last time.

TF2 is not on the list, thus, you cannot use it to buy Garry's Mod.

Edited:

'Sup.

Search.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    8,881 Posts
    garrysmod is PAID either way.... garry would not be in buisness
    buy the garrysmod bundle already.

as for the guy that bought the bundle earlier and now can't run garrysmod....
    garrysmod should still work for you, i dont think it would even initialise if you were missing sdk base garrysmod runs on
    plus garrysmod hasnt run on the cs:s engine untill after they updated it because remember, garry updated gmod to run on the 2007 engine before CS:S was updated to run on that engine, before CS:S ran the HL2 engine from the start
    i had portal before i bought garrysmod and i couldn't run garrysmod until i bought it

31. Post #31
    June 2011
    82 Posts
    HEy Facepunch
    im wanna buy garrys mod so i need an source game right?
    then i could download teamfortress 2 ( its free ) or?
    Yes, you can use the free TF2, that is what I did.

mfg gallexme2

32. Post #32
    October 2009
    8,881 Posts
    it costs 2.99 now (durring sale) i can't find the article but i do remember reading that since garrysmod 11
    ( the engine switch patch) its sold with its own sdk base