1. Post #19641
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    this is getting pretty ridiculous man.
    time to start appreciating games for what they are boss, electrons flowing through wires, science; yet people complain that they don't look uber realistic? god damnit this world is so fucked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #19642
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    14,755 Posts
    Why are you even here if you don't like the game?
    You're really sounding like an extremely shitty troll.
    this is a discussion forum and the thread's not called "Like Skyrim in this thread - No TROLLS allowed"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #19643
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,277 Posts
    Just found a quote off a site about the first review thats came in about Skyrim. It scored a 95% and heres one of the quotes that confuse me '' Atomic call the AI moment “mood breaking” and that Bethesda have created a “beautiful sprawling world” that is jaw-dropping. ''

Mood breaking? if that is a bad thing then it seems odd to throw in a good point in the same kind of sentence?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #19644
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    this is a discussion forum and the thread's not called "Like Skyrim in this thread - No TROLLS allowed"
    well true but of course people are going to get annoyed and tell them to fuck off if they behave that way in a thread for game discussion, it doesn't have to be all circlejerking about how "good" the game is, there is room for criticism, but when you start being nitpicky about every little thing, complaining about something you havn't even had a chance to play yet; you just come off as being a self entitled dick (not aimed at you specifically, obviously, you're cool)

5. Post #19645
    November 2009
    8,710 Posts
    According to that spec thread, I'll be able to run on medium — medium-low.

I'll survive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #19646
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,193 Posts
    Also, for comparison (regarding my argument that beatemups always looks good):

SOCOM III (released 2005 for PS2)

Soul Calibur III(same year for PS2)

Images aren't the best, but the differences are clear. With smaller spaces and less stuff to concentrate on, Project soul could easily make high-quality (for the time) models for their game, since only two would be on screen at one time.

SOCOM on the other hand had bigger areas, more stuff and more everything. It would kill the PS2 if it had the same graphics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

7. Post #19647
    November 2010
    928 Posts
    Except he isn't discussing the game, he's just shitposting and saying he hates Skyrim because it isn't Morrowind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #19648
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,193 Posts
    I don't know if the rule has been changed, but you used to get banned for example: Going into a simpsons thread and saying family guy is better.

the reason was trolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #19649
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,365 Posts
    Technically, TES gameplay have been basically the same since Arena, especially in terms of combat. So if you can't bare the gameplay then the game just is not for you. I, however have never had any problems, in fact I think it's ok until you get a really high level in oblivion and just buttonmash 30 minutes to kill an enemy, and if that is fixed in Skyrim, the combat is perfect.
    That's not true at all. The gameplay is not the same. It's more of an action game now than a RPG and it doesn't work. It's not a good action game, and now it's not a good RPG either. They tried to do a mixture of the two but it doesn't work. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #19650
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Also, for comparison (regarding my argument that beatemups always looks good):

SOCOM III (released 2005 for PS2)

Soul Calibur III(same year for PS2)

Images aren't the best, but the differences are clear. With smaller spaces and less stuff to concentrate on, Project soul could easily make high-quality (for the time) models for their game, since only two would be on screen at one time.

SOCOM on the other hand had bigger areas, more stuff and more everything. It would kill the PS2 if it had the same graphics.
    why are we even arguing about graphics for a bethesda game? I really don't get it, it looks better than oblivion, it has dynamic shadows, dynamic weather, the people don't look like potatoes anymore, but no people still demand crysis graphics at that scale because fuck the developers they aren't trying hard enough

Edited:

That's not true at all. The gameplay is not the same. It's more of an action game now than an RPG and it doesn't work. It's not a good action game, and now it's not a good RPG either. They tried to do a mixture of the two but it doesn't work. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    he said especially in terms of combat you fuck

Edited:

That's not true at all. The gameplay is not the same. It's more of an action game now than a RPG and it doesn't work. It's not a good action game, and now it's not a good RPG either. They tried to do a mixture of the two but it doesn't work. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    oh and on that note, god forbid the developers do what they want with the game because you're the only one that's important in the world, you're the only person they need to appeal too, am I right?

If the majority are more than happy with what we're being given, then they're obviously doing it right, fuck. Part of what makes the elder scrolls unique is that it ISN'T completely RPG, even morrowind was an action-rpg to an extent, sure it had more rpg elements than oblivion, but the combat was essentially the same kinda deal, I don't get what the fuck your problem is

11. Post #19651
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,365 Posts
    why are we even arguing about graphics for a bethesda game? I really don't get it, it looks better than oblivion, it has dynamic shadows, dynamic weather, the people don't look like potatoes anymore, but no people still demand crysis graphics at that scale because fuck the developers they aren't trying hard enough

Edited:

he said especially in terms of combat you fuck
    combat is a part of gameplay you twit and the RPG aspects govern that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

12. Post #19652
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,528 Posts
    Sorry if I get a little upset at Bethesda's halfhearted attempts at a good game. I'm really starting to think Morrowind was some kind of happy accident. It angers me that they can pump out these subpar mediocre games with little effort and people seem to be content with that. Skyrim has shown itself to be nothing more than a continuation of Bethesda's slide into mediocrity. I don't want another Bioware on our hands here
    HOLY SHIT GUYS, WE HAVE A SEER ON OUR HANDS.

A SEER THAT HAS ALREADY PLAYED THE GAME, NOT JUST JUDGING IT ON IT'S GRAPHICS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Qatar Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #19653
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,193 Posts
    In terms of "good old-fashioned RPG" Bethesda's never been good at that. The whole deal all the time has been that you level up by improving the skills you have, not by doing quests and exploring and the like. The one million skills present in arena and Daggerfall are mostly redundant and fucking useless. Yeah ok I guess there's a difference in using a longsword and a shortsword/dagger, but it's even confirmed that in the sword tree, there's perks that favours different types of swords. With the perk system, the skill sysetm will be even better than Oblivion this time around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #19654
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    combat is a part of gameplay you twit and the RPG aspects govern that.
    You're right, and the problem with oblivion was that it felt that your skills were meaningless because the world leveled up with you, and it's pretty much been confirmed that skyrim will be less of that. Your move.
    edit: I take that back actually, The skills didn't feel meaningless to me at all in oblivion, they actually still managed to have a life/death determination in a lot of cases for me. I couldn't finish the game until I rolled a character that suited my play style, I don't see how that ISN'T rpg skills governing the gameplay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #19655
    November 2009
    8,710 Posts
    Listen, and listen. If you think the game is crap, then here's a revolutionary idea...

Don't play it.

It's not that difficult. Heck, it's probably easier than arguing about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #19656
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,689 Posts
    Sorry if I get a little upset at Bethesda's halfhearted attempts at a good game. I'm really starting to think Morrowind was some kind of happy accident. It angers me that they can pump out these subpar mediocre games with little effort and people seem to be content with that. Skyrim has shown itself to be nothing more than a continuation of Bethesda's slide into mediocrity. I don't want another Bioware on our hands here
    I have a question, why continue posting in this if you know you will keep getting rated into (Excuse the pun here) oblivion? You are not going to convince people how shitty a game is on the thread for that game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #19657
    January 2010
    139 Posts
    After all these argument and ranting, I guarantee that all you people here are still going to buy the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #19658
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,528 Posts
    After all these argument and ranting, I guarantee that all you people here are still going to buy the game.
    Naysayers are trying to convince us to cancel our pre-orders, not sure why, since it benefits their fucking economy...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Qatar Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19659
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,365 Posts
    HOLY SHIT GUYS, WE HAVE A SEER ON OUR HANDS.

A SEER THAT HAS ALREADY PLAYED THE GAME, NOT JUST JUDGING IT ON IT'S GRAPHICS.
    goddamn watch the streams its not hard to see how the game plays
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

20. Post #19660
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Alright, stop. If you think TES games after Morrowind are mediocre, great, good for you, but everyone doesn't. I think Oblivion is bloody fucking awesome, probably my favourite game ever. And your reaction to this? "Ahaha that guy must have a shitty taste".

And now you've gotten to the heart of the problem: taste. I think the combat looks great. I think the graphics look good enough. I think the aesthetics and the atmosphere are more than good. You disagree? No can do. But stop trying to prove our opinions wrong like you'd be always right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #19661
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Naysayers are trying to convince us to cancel our pre-orders, not sure why, since it benefits their fucking economy...
    my pre-order was 10 bucks, I only placed it so I would get the game on release date. Pay the rest off when I pick it up, why would I cancel it at all?

22. Post #19662
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    You're allowed to have an opinion that's more subtle than "buy-or-don't-buy".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #19663
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    goddamn watch the streams its not hard to see how the game plays
    Because watching a game is equal to actually playing it, right. You obviously never had friends growing up, most boring part of going to someones house and watching them play a game that you found incredibly fun. They always made it look boring. Skyrim will be what you make it, just like oblivion, everyone plays it differently even if the gameplay mechanics are the same, and everyone will enjoy it for different reasons. If you don't enjoy it, well tough fucking luck, stop being so self entitled man

edit: good example is the older gta games, shit animations, models, textures etc (they looked good at the time, yes, but even those weren't the best graphics of their time), shitty controls to an extent. But fuck me are they fun to play to this day, watching someone else play it always looks boring and not so good, the fun comes when you pick up the controller, or place your hands on your mouse and keyboard, and actually start exploring the world and playing the fuck out of it yourself

GTA IV was fucking BORING to watch someone else play, especially when they drive around, but it felt so much better actually playing it yourself. I mean seriously, how can you judge how fun something will be without even playing it yourself? streams are not indicative of fun factor man, and that's what it'll be about, not graphics, not animations, but the amount of fun you actually have with it yourself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #19664
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    What's wrong with the UI? I think it looks brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #19665
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    What's wrong with the UI? I think it looks brilliant.
    it's fine for a console, but I can't imagine using it on the PC.. hopefully the pc UI, even if it looks the same, is more intuitive for mouse navigation rather than being shoddily ported from the xbox control scheme etc.

26. Post #19666
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,193 Posts
    TES rpg's aren't like other RPG's.

In the manual to Daggerfall, where most other games have an introduction, Todd had written "When players ask what the story to Daggerfall is, I imagine Macbeth asking what the story to Macbeth is before the play begins".

Yeah sure, all TES games has a main quest, and obvious boundaries, but it's still VERY different from games such as NWN, Diablo and Witcher.

TES has almost always been more of an action game than those more "traditional" RPG's. The only game to really feature true dice-rolling was Morrowind, with it's combat (and no-one liked that, did they?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #19667
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    ITT: Game sucks, I can tell by the graphics.
    On Release: OH GOD IT'S AMAZING
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #19668
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    Graphics =/= Aesthetic. A game can look good and be immersive if the aesthetic is defined. Graphics just improve the technical capabilities of a game. If you were asking me, I would say that games like Psychonauts, Borderlands, Ratchet and Clank, TF2 or even Minecraft are more visually pleasing than, say, Crysis, because they have a definitive style that serves a purpose other than to look real. I mean yeah, Crysis looks impressive but that doesn't really do anything for the game's immersion or style. Skyrim, from what I've seen, has that purposeful aesthetic. Personally I don't think that there is anything besides aesthetic that makes a game look inherently good. Skyrim mightn't be the most technically impressive game, but it doesn't need to be, its style is very much set in stone.

That's just me, though. It's why I'm totally fine with playing games with outdated tech so long as they look good beyond that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

29. Post #19669
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,102 Posts
    Hey, new graph.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 18Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #19670
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,021 Posts
    This thread makes me want to strangle a baby seal sometimes...
    If you don't want to play it, then don't. Simple as that. Now take a Midol and go post in the thread for whatever game it is that gives you a raging erection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #19671
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Graphics =/= Aesthetic. A game can look good and be immersive if the aesthetic is defined. Graphics just improve the technical capabilities of a game. If you were asking me, I would say that games like Psychonauts, Borderlands, Ratchet and Clank, TF2 or even Minecraft are more visually pleasing than, say, Crysis, because they have a definitive style that serves a purpose other than to look real. I mean yeah, Crysis looks impressive but that doesn't really do anything for the game's immersion or style. Skyrim, from what I've seen, has that purposeful aesthetic. Personally I don't think that there is anything besides aesthetic that makes a game look inherently good. Skyrim mightn't be the most technically impressive game, but it doesn't need to be, its style is very much set in stone.

That's just me, though. It's why I'm totally fine with playing games with outdated tech so long as they look good beyond that.
    I personally would have used fallout 3 as an example, it's actually butt ugly when you look at things specifically, but the overall feel is, to me anyway, amazing. I couldn't care less about how low res the textures are or how shit the animations are, I still fucking love that game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #19672
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Actually thinking about it now, but I think we keep worrying about graphics because that's the biggest thing that everybody has seen no matter what by now.
    Doesn't matter if you watched gameplay videos or not, you've seen the graphics.

That and we just want to play it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #19673
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Hey, new graph.

that breton looks hot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #19674
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,919 Posts
    I personally would have used fallout 3 as an example, it's actually butt ugly when you look at things specifically, but the overall feel is, to me anyway, amazing. I couldn't care less about how low res the textures are or how shit the animations are, I still fucking love that game
    I'd put it there too, you're right. Fallout 3 looks as good as it needs to, I don't give a shit about what it technically needs to do, the post-apocalyptic style is carried over to a totally appropriate extent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #19675
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    Actually thinking about it now, but I think we keep worrying about graphics because that's the biggest thing that everybody has seen no matter what by now.
    Doesn't matter if you watched gameplay videos or not, you've seen the graphics.

That and we just want to play it.
    no actually, the majority of us aren't worried about the graphics, it's just Rigged237 being a twat and complaining about every little thing, despite not having played the game himself yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

36. Post #19676
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,021 Posts
    no actually, the majority of us aren't worried about the graphics, it's just Rigged237 being a twat and complaining about every little thing, despite not having played the game himself yet.
    Quoting for accuracy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #19677
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,330 Posts
    Quote ninja'd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #19678
    November 2010
    7,935 Posts
    Well my post covers Rigged.
    The rest of us are pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #19679
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    I hope they have different inventory navigation on PC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Azerbaijan Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #19680
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    I hope they have different inventory navigation on PC
    Yeah, I like the inventory, but just can't imagine navigating it with a mouse at the moment, hopefully they set it up nicely on the PC to be very mouse friendly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)