1. Post #281
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    The one Alcapwne made seems to fit great on our future website and the one Dgg made could be great for perhaps an intro for when you for example, start a game.
    No comments on mine? :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

2. Post #282
    April 2010
    2,963 Posts
    why on earth did garry take them?! did he at least give a reason?
    likely because he stole them from Something Awful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    So guys, i've got some questions.
    I've gone to school for a bit for "Graphic Design" but sadly it was at a community college.
    Not anything against Community College, but the courses were a bit limited. I learned a bit about everything really, but not a ton. I learned about photoshop, a bit about Illustrator, and a bit about printing and running a printing press.
    So, i was wondering where is a good site to maybe get some good starting points to take what i know further.
    Things about typography, logo design, things of that nature that would be helpful for getting more knowledge under my belt so that once i finish school this semester i can get started on making a better portfolio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    I've gone to school for a bit for "Graphic Design" but sadly it was at a community college.
    Not anything against Community College, but the courses were a bit limited. I learned a bit about everything really, but not a ton. I learned about photoshop, a bit about Illustrator, and a bit about printing and running a printing press.
    So, i was wondering where is a good site to maybe get some good starting points to take what i know further.
    Things about typography, logo design, things of that nature that would be helpful for getting more knowledge under my belt so that once i finish school this semester i can get started on making a better portfolio.
    I've found this blog is really good:

http://www.davidairey.com/

They have a specific section for branding, typography, colour etc.

really helpful stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,066 Posts
    No comments on mine? :(
    Apologies my good man. I actually convinced myself that I did comment on it. I even showed it to one of the other guys.
    We both like it! The only thing would be if the feathers were in the other side of the hat and stuck in the "band" that goes around the hat.
    Graphically, it is very pleasing too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #286
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    woah so i clicked on that davidairey.com site and the first thing i see is this this business cards done by Moo. which i think sounds like a familiar company so i look on their website and i see their logo, which i know i've already seen somewhere else

[img]http://directory.ac/files/dumblists/.../logos/moo.jpg[/img]

a guy in the year above has pretty much the exact same logo in his portfolio, but as a logo for a dairy company and not for a design company.

and it's obvious that one of these is a rip of the other (i'd struggle to believe otherwise) butttt, this carl guy (from my class) is a quality designer and i don't believe he'd ever rip something off, let alone present it in his portfolio so obviously the same design as Moo Print. but then Moo Print were founded in 2004, which was definitely before he started uni (i.e. created that logo) so i don't know who's ripped who off. i like to think Moo Print had a rebrand and stole their logo then but it could be the other way around.

it makes me sad. welcome to graphic design, where plagiarism is a very real enemy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    woah so i clicked on that davidairey.com site and the first thing i see is this this business cards done by Moo. which i think sounds like a familiar company so i look on their website and i see their logo, which i know i've already seen somewhere else

[img]http://directory.ac/files/dumblists/.../logos/moo.jpg[/img]

a guy in the year above has pretty much the exact same logo in his portfolio, but as a logo for a dairy company and not for a design company.

and it's obvious that one of these is a rip of the other (i'd struggle to believe otherwise) butttt, this carl guy (from my class) is a quality designer and i don't believe he'd ever rip something off, let alone present it in his portfolio so obviously the same design as Moo Print. but then Moo Print were founded in 2004, which was definitely before he started uni (i.e. created that logo) so i don't know who's ripped who off. i like to think Moo Print had a rebrand and stole their logo then but it could be the other way around.

it makes me sad. welcome to graphic design, where plagiarism is a very real enemy.
    the two moos aren't that similar, I'm sure there are lots of logos that have a curvy kind of font

and I think the business card logo is meant to say 'COW' when it's upside down whereas his isn't supposed to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #288
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    (his is the business card)

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    (his is the business card)
    Oh, I don't think anyone copied anyone then
    your friend probably just used a nice font and added the break in the O/C letter

10. Post #290
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    hm, i still think they're too similar. ah well, not like it affects me anyway!

ugh i'm waiting on the post to arrive so (hopefully) my cyan and magenta inks arrive so i can print my portfolio, all the work is done i'm just waiting on this bloomin' ink. i ordered it on monday night :(

(i also don't like how tab + enter doesn't hit the Post button any more)

11. Post #291
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    62,540 Posts
    do my posters count. i sure hope so
    here are some i like best

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #292
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,198 Posts
    I really like your posters rusty, though some of your best are the ones where you break from the beige, low colour number grungy style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

13. Post #293
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    62,540 Posts
    which ones? i dont think i like many of the others ive done

Edited:

low colour number is good, so they can get printscreened
    that shit costs per colour man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #294
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,163 Posts
    the fight club one's hand looks a little weird but the actual logo is lovely, and the rest of the posters are wonderful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,360 Posts
    Anyone know what font this is?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

16. Post #296
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    hm, i still think they're too similar. ah well, not like it affects me anyway!

ugh i'm waiting on the post to arrive so (hopefully) my cyan and magenta inks arrive so i can print my portfolio, all the work is done i'm just waiting on this bloomin' ink. i ordered it on monday night :(

(i also don't like how tab + enter doesn't hit the Post button any more)
    Just wondering, what dimensions is your portfolio? annd what type of printer do you have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #297
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    it's an A3 portfolio, and i have this printer, an HP officejet 7000

it's a wide format printer, but i've never used it for anything bigger than A3. i lurrve it, although we did have a bit of a falling out earlier today.

18. Post #298
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Ahh, that looks sweet I really want a printer like that... I do love my laserjet though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #299
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    eep. laserjets are rubbish for good quality printing though :(

but they are mighty fast!

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    speaking of printers, are all inkjets bitches or just my one?

21. Post #301
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    inkjets are superior compared to laser when it comes to printing quality work.

a laser will easily beat them in time and quantity vs. ink, but the quality isn't comparable, and if you studygraphic design you want a nice quality printer

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    inkjets are superior compared to laser when it comes to printing quality work.

a laser will easily beat them in time and quantity vs. ink, but the quality isn't comparable, and if you studygraphic design you want a nice quality printer
    ah ok

mine is incredibly unreliable and works about 70% of the time

23. Post #303
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    what model do you have?

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    HP Deskjet F4580 (all in one)

25. Post #305
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    ahh, i used to have the HP Deskjet F4200 (also all in one)

it did me fine though, can't say i ever had any major issues with it. what sort of problems are you having?

26. Post #306
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    I've never used a good inkjet before, all the ones I've used have screwed up the colours and smeared all over the place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    ahh, i used to have the HP Deskjet F4200 (also all in one)

it did me fine though, can't say i ever had any major issues with it. what sort of problems are you having?
    well a few weeks ago it was feeding the paper in wonky and always used to crumple it up and get jammed, but these days it just doesn't print randomly and I have to often unplug and reconnect the usb cable :(

28. Post #308
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    well a few weeks ago it was feeding the paper in wonky and always used to crumple it up and get jammed, but these days it just doesn't print randomly and I have to often unplug and reconnect the usb cable :(
    for the paper jamming, try using a thicker paper. before i got my printer i read several reviews that said that it used to chew and jam the paper when it was printing at A3 unless you used a thicker paper. general copy paper is 80gsm, but i bought a ream of 100gsm paper and i've never had a problem with it. also make sure you have the plastic guides set up properly to ensure it feeds the paper in straight.

29. Post #309
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    This comic really fits this discussion:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

30. Post #310
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    you should'a seen me earlier

managed to print out all of my portfolio bar one piece perfectly first time. got to this piece... it took me 8 times before it did it correctly. i'd already ripped up one bit of card in my rage.

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    you should'a seen me earlier

managed to print out all of my portfolio bar one piece perfectly first time. got to this piece... it took me 8 times before it did it correctly. i'd already ripped up one bit of card in my rage.
    when do we get to see :)

32. Post #312
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    probably when i get it whapped on my website!

it's a joke, i've had webspace and domain for just under a year, and have never finished it. always get half way then change my mind about the design and forget about it all. ungh

Edited:

or i might just upload it here. but i don't know what you'll all think, because it's not what i think a lot of you have in your mind as "graphic design". there's some branding (i.e. logos) but there's also some projects i think you'll go o_O at.

but i won't know until i show, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,198 Posts
    right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,524 Posts
    Sucks you had such a limited experience. I wonder how a community college managed to skip by such important design basics like Typography and logo designs? 2 years is plenty of time to squeeze instruction of that nature in.

My community college design experience was pretty focued. Despite being a "2 year" program, it actually takes 3 years unless you take an extra class each quarter and don't have summers off. Covered pretty much everything from the basics to the programs and to finish off our big capstone project involved inventing a company from the ground up building an entire brand (all the logo design, signage, pictograms, vehicles, building design, etc) for the company. I should say though for my degree, in order to fit it all in within 2-3 years they didn't require me to take hardly any gen-eds other than 3 english, and a couple of other random ones. As such when I transfer to uni this fall I'm pretty much required to do a years worth of gen-eds to get my bachellors, which kinda sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

35. Post #315
    May 2010
    1,301 Posts
    Sucks you had such a limited experience. I wonder how a community college managed to skip by such important design basics like Typography and logo designs? 2 years is plenty of time to squeeze instruction of that nature in.

My community college design experience was pretty focued. Despite being a "2 year" program, it actually takes 3 years unless you take an extra class each quarter and don't have summers off. Covered pretty much everything from the basics to the programs and to finish off our big capstone project involved inventing a company from the ground up building an entire brand (all the logo design, signage, pictograms, vehicles, building design, etc) for the company. I should say though for my degree, in order to fit it all in within 2-3 years they didn't require me to take hardly any gen-eds other than 3 english, and a couple of other random ones. As such when I transfer to uni this fall I'm pretty much required to do a years worth of gen-eds to get my bachellors, which kinda sucks.
    I wish it had been like that.
    It's a smaller community college, so the guy who taught the class was super cool, and knew a good deal. But his knowledge was mostly in the printing field, as he worked at Missouri University, and other big printing companies doing stuff like proofing, and running the machines.
    But aside from asignments where we were told to pretty much use illustrator, or photoshop, or sometimes indesign to accomplish something, we really pretty much just went at it with the little bit he knew of the programs, and what we gathered from the internet.
    I guess now's as good a time as any to start re-learning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

36. Post #316
    The one Alcapwne made seems to fit great on our future website and the one Dgg made could be great for perhaps an intro for when you for example, start a game.
    The one Alcapwne made is perfect, too bad we won't be getting it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    The one Alcapwne made is perfect, too bad we won't be getting it.
    You can now :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

38. Post #318
    dgg
    I ❀ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    25,917 Posts
    Well, I guess I haven't really dumped any of my stuff here. Some is from 2 years ago, some is from this year.

Anti-religion, Kunst & Håndverk brochure and Creation Awards is collaborations with other students. (In the brochure I was first and foremost the photographer)

I did not expect the thumbnails to be so fucked up. Damn variable thumbs and not constant ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #319
    October 2010
    740 Posts
    I guess it would hurt to put a little of my recent stuff up here.

These two are for a contest on LogoBids.com

For a personal Source mod of mine that never saw the light of day.

Logo for an (hopefully) upcoming creative studio of mine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovenia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #320
    not retarded or something
    July 2008
    6,111 Posts
    I absolutely love this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)