1. Post #441
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    That's the joke.
    Let's stop derailing the thread, it's been too quiet for a while now.

I'm going to post a "walktrough" of a logo creation process (the way I do it). It might be helpful for someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

2. Post #442
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    It was being used as an exhibit so why would you not want it to stand out?
    it wasn't meant to stand out. it was meant to look like the student had a bottle of beer on their table, and only upon closer inspection was it realised it was actually a custom beer bottle label
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #443
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Here's a logo I did for some social marketing company or something:

I can't seem to move away from simple stuff - I can never do, or even think up something complex like the Starbucks logo for example :(

How should I get into more intricate stuff? I'm not great at art but I don't think you need to be good at drawing to be able to design things, am I right?
    The crown over the O thing has been done by crown paints:

So you might want to be careful with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #444
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    The crown over the O thing has been done by crown paints:

So you might want to be careful with that.
    hahaa I'm sure crowns on top of letters has been done many times before, particularly in jewellery stores
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,163 Posts
    Some logos I made for my media class in Grade 12. I've improved pretty substantially since. The reason there are 4 ZWITT logos is because we were told we had to take the name and make a logo for either snowboarding or cuisine and I was toying with both.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

6. Post #446
    May 2009
    1,524 Posts
    Some logos I made for my media class in Grade 12. I've improved pretty substantially since. The reason there are 4 ZWITT logos is because we were told we had to take the name and make a logo for either snowboarding or cuisine and I was toying with both.
    These are really good! I like the last Zwitt logo (The Blue one) It fits the snowboarding theme which I think you were going for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #447
    July 2010
    2,119 Posts
    I don't know were else to say this but someone should make out a wallpaper out of this lovely Fight Club quote:

Even a black-white text would work ok.

Just sayin'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #448
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    Make it yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    June 2011
    360 Posts

It takes skill to be this bad.

Edited:

I don't know were else to say this but someone should make out a wallpaper out of this lovely Fight Club quote:

Even a black-white text would work ok.

Just sayin'.

Enjoy mate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    July 2010
    2,119 Posts
    That's what I'm talking about. Thanks!

However, if you can make it 1360x768 I would love you even more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #451
    June 2011
    360 Posts
    Done, updated my post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

12. Post #452
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,582 Posts
    So, I'm working on this banner for a magazine, what you think?

Also on this ad for a fashion designer:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts

Did some logo mock-ups for a client, what do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #455
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    if anything i like the bottom left best, but you need to sort out your anti aliasing

i don't like the handwritten ones much at all, the 5/S looks really disjointed, and i don't like the little join in the 0/O either

and the top left one i don't understand why you've split it in half, it doesn't have anything to do with soup/50up :P

so going on that i would say the bottom left is the most relevant, and i like the type for the 50up/soup

i'm interesting in the company too, could you tell me a little about it?

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    if anything i like the bottom left best, but you need to sort out your anti aliasing

i don't like the handwritten ones much at all, the 5/S looks really disjointed, and i don't like the little join in the 0/O either

and the top left one i don't understand why you've split it in half, it doesn't have anything to do with soup/50up :P

so going on that i would say the bottom left is the most relevant, and i like the type for the 50up/soup

i'm interesting in the company too, could you tell me a little about it?
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I don't really know anything about the company, this was sort of like an audition task for me and 2 other people to decide who he hires to design the website for this company. In the brief he said that the company will be selling fresh locally produced soups, baguettes and lunchtime snacks, and that he wanted to aspire to be like innocent drinks and http://poncho8.com/ in terms of branding and style

17. Post #457
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    so is it called 50up.co or soup.co, 'cause i'm getting mixed messages here :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #458
    Thanks for the feedback :)

I don't really know anything about the company, this was sort of like an audition task for me and 2 other people to decide who he hires to design the website for this company. In the brief he said that the company will be selling fresh locally produced soups, baguettes and lunchtime snacks, and that he wanted to aspire to be like innocent drinks and http://poncho8.com/ in terms of branding and style
    http://www.no-spec.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    so is it called 50up.co or soup.co, 'cause i'm getting mixed messages here :P
    hahaa I think it's called The 5oup Co. (as in 'company')

20. Post #460
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    so why is the 5 there? 5oup doesn't make any sense.

Soup Co. makes plenty of sense. 50up doesn't make much sense, but certainly more than 5oup

(i know this isn't your decision, it's just confusing me a bit, hah)

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,487 Posts

Did some logo mock-ups for a client, what do you guys think?
    I personally like the bottom right the most, and I think it could be improved substantially if you changed the handwritten font to something that doesn't break like that does. You could also hand draw it and I'm sure it would look 10x better than it currently does.

That being said, I also like the upper left quite a bit for no real reason other than it's hip art deco vibe. I also like how the bottoms of the characters almost look like bowls of soup. Maybe add a subtle cartoon steam coming from the orange to enhance this effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    I personally like the bottom right the most, and I think it could be improved substantially if you changed the handwritten font to something that doesn't break like that does. You could also hand draw it and I'm sure it would look 10x better than it currently does.

That being said, I also like the upper left quite a bit for no real reason other than it's hip art deco vibe. I also like how the bottoms of the characters almost look like bowls of soup. Maybe add a subtle cartoon steam coming from the orange to enhance this effect.
    Thanks, I'll do that and see how it looks :)

Soup Co. makes plenty of sense. 50up doesn't make much sense, but certainly more than 5oup

lol yeah I have no idea why they have a 5 in place of an S, I thought that went out of fashion a while ago

Yeah I turned against crowdsourcing and the like when I realised I was just wasting my time, but I don't think this is quite the same because the client seemed sincere and legit when he said that he needs this done to decide between the 3 designers who he chose, and the 'winner' will get a job designing the website for this soup company.

23. Post #463
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    sounds kinda like the same thing, just on a smaller scale

the way i see it, you're putting effort and time into this project, when there's no guarantee you're going to be selected for the final work

24. Post #464
    Yeah I turned against crowdsourcing and the like when I realised I was just wasting my time, but I don't think this is quite the same because the client seemed sincere and legit when he said that he needs this done to decide between the 3 designers who he chose, and the 'winner' will get a job designing the website for this soup company.
    Yeah that's still the exact definition of spec work. Spec work is more than just crowd sourcing.

Edited:

Branding doesn't have to make sense. You can call your company whatever you want if you portray the image you're going for well and in a memorable manner. It's not like I'm going to name my design studio "Design Studio" lol.

25. Post #465
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    i'm not talking from a design point of view

just from a general perspective, 5oup Co. is a pretty rubbish name

Edited:

but w/e, it's not this guys fault

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Yeah that's still the exact definition of spec work. Spec work is more than just crowd sourcing.

Edited:

Branding doesn't have to make sense. You can call your company whatever you want if you portray the image you're going for well and in a memorable manner. It's not like I'm going to name my design studio "Design Studio" lol.
    Yeah, I suppose

27. Post #467
    i'm not talking from a design point of view

just from a general perspective, 5oup Co. is a pretty rubbish name
    I'm speaking from a general perspective too. It could definitely work if you brand it right (brand is much more than just how you design things).

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    I'm speaking from a general perspective too. It could definitely work if you brand it right (brand is much more than just how you design things).
    I agree, almost any name can be turned into an amazing brand

Edited:

although that's not an excuse to have a stupid name

29. Post #469
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    my only point was that it was a daft name, i wasn't trying to argue that it was unbrandable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    That's pretty subjective. What I was getting at is that the name can be made in to a clever thing if the rest of the branding is done in a way that goes along with it well. I don't think it's really right to judge a name based on the name alone in this context. There's a lot of companies with dumb names that aren't viewed as dumb names because of the way they have been branded.

Edited:

http://www.creativesoutfitter.com/Pr...rca-Refills/26 = neato

31. Post #471
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    yeah don't worry i get that.

but at least behance sounds like a word and it not just a weird combination of letters and a number

32. Post #472
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,638 Posts
    Maybe the 5 is meant to represent having 5 portions of fruit/veg a day. Not saying it makes sense, just thought it might be a possibility.

33. Post #473
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,215 Posts
    Maybe it's five because they have a unique working week system

why is this funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #474
    yeah don't worry i get that.

but at least behance sounds like a word and it not just a weird combination of letters and a number
    The behance thing wasn't related. I just got a pack of that paper and I've been using it to sketch website wireframes and it's neat haha. I guess it does work as a decent example though.

35. Post #475
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    If any of you have taken graphics for A levels would you mind telling me what you guys did during class besides coursework? I'm gonna be formally studying Graphics soon and other than the exam and coursework I have no idea what to expect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

36. Post #476
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    well uh... generally coursework and exam studying is pretty much all you do on a course :P
    and i think i remember you saying you're doing Graphic Design: Product Design (the same as i did), which for me had next to no (what i would consider) graphic work, and was pretty much just Product Design. which was disappointing for me.

but we visited the henry hoover factory!

37. Post #477
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    well uh... generally coursework and exam studying is pretty much all you do on a course :P
    and i think i remember you saying you're doing Graphic Design: Product Design (the same as i did), which for me had next to no (what i would consider) graphic work, and was pretty much just Product Design. which was disappointing for me.

but we visited the henry hoover factory!
    really? there are no "this is how you become a good graphic designer" lessons?
    or "sit down and draw this for me"

38. Post #478
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    well i can't say for definite, as

a) i don't know what exam board you're studying with
    b) i studied this in 4-5 years ago, so things might have changed

but no, in Graphic Design: Product Design there is sod all graphic work. i don't even know why they put Graphic Design as the first title on the course, what i studied was pretty much just Product Design. we did some isometric drawings, and some other technical drawings where you varied your pen size to get different effects and stuff... but generally no, it's a Product Design course, and that is what you will be taught.

before i came to uni i'd never used illustrator or indesign, i'd never done any editorial/layout work and had no idea what a grid system was. i didn't know what typography was, other than picking out a font from a list, and branding? well that's just a pretty logo right? seriously, the only thing that course taught me that's relevant to what i do now, is paper grammage. woop de doo.

i'm not saying it's a bad course, because it's not. it was taught well and i did learn a lot. but what i learnt that's actually useful to me now could be summarised on the back of a business card. i learnt so much more about colour, layout, composition etc. from my Fine Art and Photography courses than i ever did in Product Design. i guess the only reason i was disappointed is because it sounds like it's gonna be a Graphic Design course, and it's really not. i mean, for me, there was pretty much no graphic design in there at all.

BUT like i said this was a few years ago, and whilst the Singapore education system appears to mirror the UK system, i can't be certain that you'll be taught the same as i was... but if it's called Graphic Design: Product Design, it's likely you'll pretty much just be studying Product Design.

Edited:

really? there are no "this is how you become a good graphic designer" lessons?
    that's not really something you can sit a class down and "teach" them :P
    you learn by doing, and realising what is good and what isn't, what works and what doesn't

it's so completely subjective that you can't just write a list of rules, and if you follow them that's your sure fine way to be a great graphic designer.

well that might be slightly untrue, i've read a few articles/blogs that have a list of good rules to stick by... but it's never something i've ever seen being actively taught as part of a curriculum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #479
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    thanks, I guess the only thing that I have to worry about is the drawing bit

40. Post #480
    July 2006
    9,910 Posts
    Do any fellow aussie's study design at RMIT? Thinking of going there next year after I finish the course I'm in.

Edited:

Communication design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events