1. Post #321
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,940 Posts

The middle one shouldn't be that green, it was actually a different shade before i uploaded it to tinypic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #322
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts

The middle one shouldn't be that green, it was actually a different shade before i uploaded it to tinypic.
    It was made in CMYK right? CMYK tends to get the colors fucked up when displayed by browsers, make a copy of the image and switch it in photoshop to RGB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,940 Posts
    It was made in CMYK right? CMYK tends to get the colors fucked up when displayed by browsers, make a copy of the image and switch it in photoshop to RGB.
    Yeah that fixed it, thanks bro.

4. Post #324
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,100 Posts
    You can now :)
    I would just like to point out that Alcapwne was kind enough to provide his logo for free. He really did us a huge favor!

I would also like to thank the rest of you guys who made logos. Really nice of you and I'll be sure to forward people to this thread in the future when they are in need of logos/banners.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #325
    June 2011
    12 Posts
    Here is some of my most recent work. I've just started working in InDesign, and am building up a portfolio for sac state. These images are from a magazine (unpublished) that I created.

This one is a spread on Falselogic's photography!
    Feedback would be much appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

6. Post #326
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    okay so uhm yes this is some of my work! not quite sure what you'll think of it... it's not really logos or what some of you think graphic design has to be, but we cover a lot of bases on my course and i like that we do a lot of stuff. okay here goes!

no.1 wind
    right, this project was to help us 'explore mark-making'. yeah, it was run by one of our alternate tutors and we all fucking hated doing it, nonetheless i like my outcome. basically we had exercises for a couple of weeks to come up with 'marks' that visually described a wind. we were given a 3x A4 page list of winds and were told to set fourth and explore! we all thought this project was kinda bullshit (our tutor for this brief is actually from an illustration background, not graphics) but anyway, this was my piece. the wind is the kamikaza; the 'sickle wind' japan, cuts like a knife
    so here you have my 'mark' (which is actually a photo)

so the mark itself you're supposed to see the sickle shape (reference #1 sickle), when you look you realise it's a cut in card (ref #2 'cuts like a knife') and hopefully the 3rd reference you can see is that it looks like the japanese flag. so there's 3 references which take it from "wtf" to "oh okay cool" (hopefully!). the copy at the bottom is just advertising a (fake) series of lectures being held (the final piece for the brief was to create a poster advertising these lectures, using your 'marks'). i quite like this piece!

okay no.2 penguin!

originally the penguin is taken from a project we did last year, which was to create a set of 12+ visually consistent images on the subject of your choice. i've got a bunch of the animals saved somewhere around, but with this penguin i built the pattern around it up. and it also has the little 'fact'. i was going to use them as a set of posters advertising the WWF or something, my idea was that the patterns kinda look like mazes? like you get in kids books. and the text would say something like "Every year, hundreds of plant and animal species are being LOST to climate change". then i was gonna do a frog in green and it would be "LOST to deforestation" and i have an elephant in grey "LOST to illegal poaching". but i kinda lost hope with it. i like it as a stand alone piece although it doesn't really mean anything. for putting it in my actual portfolio i've put a little subtext at the bottom saying <-- that stuff but i didn't think i needed to show it here.

no.3 spaghetti

the brief was to take an item that is 'difficult' to package, and repackage it in a new and interesting way. i don't think my solution is particularly elegant or anything but it's kinda simple and quirky. meh

oh, and no i cannot draw spaghetti in photoshop!

no.4 mantanani turtle

if any of you know me fairly well you'll know i spent 3 months in borneo on my gap year before i started university. anyway, whilst we were there our camp manager on this island (mantanani) wanted me to design a sort of logo for them, so i did. they painted it on the side of the house, but i actually changed the design when i got back home, i think you'll agree it's an improvement on the first one. (but then the first one is painted on the side of a house on a tiny island off the coast of borneo, so that's cool, right? )

this is the old design, on the house

also can you see the KT in the back left flipper? thought i'd leave my little subtle mark!

no.5 star map

in this brief we were to work with words, and come up with a collective noun for a profession, and then explore this visually. i chose a constellation of astronomers as i've always been interested in astronomy, and then it all sorta led to this. originally i was going to get a big piece of dark blue/black acrylic and cut the holes out where the 'stars' are, and put little LED lights through so you could hang it on your wall/ceiling and it would look like the night sky... but i ran out of time and money and just did this instead. considering the amount of time i've spent on it i'm not really happy with the outcome, i know it could be a lot better, but i just don't have the energy to work on it any more. ah well, it was quite fun to do!

no.6 typeface

this was a cute little project we did in 1st year. our second ever project actually. the brief was just to make a face using only letters from your initials. this piece kinda haunts me as all of my course mates say it's the first thing they remember about me, ha.

no.7 white rabbit

simple logo idea for a white tea company. i'd originally had this massive project that was all with alice in wonderland and the mad hatters tea party but i just got really lost in it all and this is the only "good" thing to come out of it. it's alright but there's not much too it

no.8 faces in places

another short project in 1st year; to go and photograph a set of 'incidental' faces. it's not a big piece of work, but i think it'll be a nice little ice breaker at interviews. and the french curve face always cracks me up

no.9 blue point

just another simple logo. it's for an oyster bar. bluepoints are a type of oyster hence the name and hopefully you can see the oyster in the B and the pearl in the i ? this was another lost cause really, it hasn't been pushed so it's just very basic. and everyone tells me it looks like a boob :c never mind, it was fun to do!

soooo that's some of my work. i've got a couple of other pieces lying around but i'll sort that out some other time, i am tired from that. i hope that you like at least some of it

Edited:

you've done really well to get the layout to follow the curve of the white here! but please, please, please don't hyphenate copy, it looks really unprofessional. otherwise i'm liking this, especially the 2nd and last ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    okay no.2 penguin!

no.4 mantanani turtle

if any of you know me fairly well you'll know i spent 3 months in borneo on my gap year before i started university. anyway, whilst we were there our camp manager on this island (mantanani) wanted me to design a sort of logo for them, so i did. they painted it on the side of the house, but i actually changed the design when i got back home, i think you'll agree it's an improvement on the first one. (but then the first one is painted on the side of a house on a tiny island off the coast of borneo, so that's cool, right? )

this is the old design, on the house

also can you see the KT in the back left flipper? thought i'd leave my little subtle mark!

no.6 typeface

this was a cute little project we did in 1st year. our second ever project actually. the brief was just to make a face using only letters from your initials. this piece kinda haunts me as all of my course mates say it's the first thing they remember about me, ha.

I really liked those ones! I'm a big fan of what you describe as 'visually consistent images' and the penguin looks amazing

turtle logo is nice too, and the typeface thing is really good as well

the other things aren't really the kind of designy stuff I like :(

8. Post #328
    June 2011
    12 Posts
    you've done really well to get the layout to follow the curve of the white here! but please, please, please don't hyphenate copy, it looks really unprofessional. otherwise i'm liking this, especially the 2nd and last ones
    Do you mean in the body copy of the His Camera His World spread? It was place holder text, so I wasn't too worried about it. Unless it is real content, you know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #329
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,171 Posts
    Very honoured to be in the highlights!
    Thanks for promoting me :P

Here is a poster inspired by Rusty that anyone who visits Creative Works That Don't Deserve a Thread might have seen it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 4 (list)

10. Post #330
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,091 Posts
    okay so uhm yes this is some of my work! not quite sure what you'll think of it... it's not really logos or what some of you think graphic design has to be, but we cover a lot of bases on my course and i like that we do a lot of stuff. okay here goes!
    The only thing I don't see as graphical design there is the faces.

Liking the spaghetti.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #331
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    Except for the faces in object thing I don't see how any of that isn't graphical design.

Liking the spaghetti.
    that is what i mean. i'm at university and i've just completed my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Graphic Design degree, and this is the work we produce, so i'm pretty sure what i'm studying is graphic design. so many of you just think graphic design is only logos and posters, when there's so much more to it than that. this is even the second sentence on a wiki (lol)

The term "graphic design" can also refer to a number of artistic and professional disciplines that focus on visual communication and presentation.

imo you have to be pretty close minded to think that graphic design is *just* logos and posters - time to open urrrr miiiiind, haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #332
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,269 Posts
    I thought that character and enviroment concepts fell under graphic design as well, I could be wrong though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #333
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,091 Posts
    I thought that character and enviroment concepts fell under graphic design as well, I could be wron though
    Nope, that's right. Mascot's for a company profile for example. Like the characters Steam made.

that is what i mean. i'm at university and i've just completed my 2nd year of my Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Graphic Design degree, and this is the work we produce, so i'm pretty sure what i'm studying is graphic design. so many of you just think graphic design is only logos and posters, when there's so much more to it than that. this is even the second sentence on a wiki (lol)

The term "graphic design" can also refer to a number of artistic and professional disciplines that focus on visual communication and presentation.

imo you have to be pretty close minded to think that graphic design is *just* logos and posters - time to open urrrr miiiiind, haha
    Yeah but I still don't see how taking a photo of something and crop it to show a face in it is graphical design.

First and foremost because it's only that. It doesn't communicate anything, it only shows a face for no reason.

Slap some context in it and probably some words then it would be graphical design in my book. But just a photography of some faces in things don't do much on their own except for making people smile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,888 Posts
    Nope, that's right. Mascot's for a company profile for example. Like the characters Steam made.

Yeah but I still don't see how taking a photo of something and crop it to show a face in it is graphical design.

First and foremost because it's only that. It doesn't communicate anything, it only shows a face for no reason.

Slap some context in it and probably some words then it would be graphical design in my book. But just a photography of some faces in things don't do much on their own except for making people smile.
    If nothing else it could be a part of an exercise, so you yourself can also learn to incorporate other stuff in your design.
    Everything else is clearly graphic design.

The spaghetti box even more so as design is very much about functionality too not just appearance.
    That's why it's design not styling.

Please don't drag this on too long like you usually do, I like this thread and I don't want to drive people away by having long winded arguments about what design is.

Besides Autumn clearly knows her stuff and those are some talented and good looking designs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

15. Post #335
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts

actually it was just a short week project to evaluate and improve our photography skills

and thanks Nyaa! :D

16. Post #336
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    actually it was just a short week project to evaluate and improve our photography skills

and thanks Nyaa! :D
    I want to make something similar to your penguin poster as my personal logo/monogram, are there any particular techniques tips on achieving such an effect?

Thanks

17. Post #337
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,091 Posts
    If nothing else it could be a part of an exercise, so you yourself can also learn to incorporate other stuff in your design.
    Everything else is clearly graphic design.

The spaghetti box even more so as design is very much about functionality too not just appearance.
    That's why it's design not styling.

Please don't drag this on too long like you usually do, I like this thread and I don't want to drive people away by having long winded arguments about what design is.

Besides Autumn clearly knows her stuff and those are some talented and good looking designs.
    Why the hell are you dragging all the other works into this? Espcially the spaghetti box which I said I loved. Maybe you should of read the first post I made towards her work?

Kaching!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #338
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,888 Posts
    Why the hell are you dragging all the other works into this? Espcially the spaghetti box which I said I loved. Maybe you should of read the first post I made towards her work?

Kaching!
    I did read it, tho I apologize for not understanding it clearly.
    Don't be an arse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #339
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts

how's this for a personal logo for my site? is it a bit cheesy?

20. Post #340
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,091 Posts
    It's a bit too unreadable and busy IMO. Doesn't look bad though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

21. Post #341
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    It's a bit too unreadable and busy IMO. Doesn't look bad though.
    hmm ok, should I have fewer words then?

22. Post #342
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts

it's very very busy and a bit distracting. i like the button idea and the font is pretty neat (though maybe a little hard to read at first glance) but maybe make the background words a colour somewhere between the main orange and the background orange, or a mid grey or something, it's too dark as it is imo

Edited:

Maybe you should of read the first post I made towards her work?
    whoops, read it as

Except for the faces in object thing I don't see how any of that is graphical design.

which threw me off. my bad!

Edited:

I want to make something similar to your penguin poster as my personal logo/monogram, are there any particular techniques tips on achieving such an effect?

Thanks
    uhm not really, i'm afraid it's just my own sort of... style P:

Edited:

these are the other animals i did, sorry some aren't transparent, but it's just meant as a quick reference, not for proper show

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #343
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,091 Posts
    whoops, read it as

Except for the faces in object thing I don't see how any of that is graphical design.
    Oh!

AHAHAHA.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Well yeah.

24. Post #344
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts

How about you make the black words transparent/a bit darker than the background so that they're not so distracting...

Also, added imMonkeyGOD's support Japan shirt to the Highlights!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #345
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    265 Posts
    Hey, the OP says not to beg, which I want to say I am not right now. Anyway, I need a logo for a business I am opening. I am fluent in Photoshop and Illustrator but my creative juices aren't flowing. I have been trying to wrap my head around a design and can't come up with anything.

I would like the get the site up ASAP. I have everything else in order pretty much, now I just need a logo. Time is money right now and the sooner I get this taken care of, the sooner the money comes in. I am offering a paid job to anyone that can help. I would rather use someone here than go to one of those big companies where they outsource to India.

If you are interested in helping, you can reach me at evan.madore@gmail.com anytime. We can discuss more details and payment then. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #346
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    okay I'm too lazy to change that logo right now, but do you think it goes with the rest of my updated site design?

www.clickphilia.com/taimur/index.html

Also, any improvements I can make on that design/layout would be great too

thanks

27. Post #347
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,633 Posts
    Hey, the OP says not to beg, which I want to say I am not right now. Anyway, I need a logo for a business I am opening. I am fluent in Photoshop and Illustrator but my creative juices aren't flowing. I have been trying to wrap my head around a design and can't come up with anything.

I would like the get the site up ASAP. I have everything else in order pretty much, now I just need a logo. Time is money right now and the sooner I get this taken care of, the sooner the money comes in. I am offering a paid job to anyone that can help. I would rather use someone here than go to one of those big companies where they outsource to India.

If you are interested in helping, you can reach me at evan.madore@gmail.com anytime. We can discuss more details and payment then. Thanks.
    I don't need details, but what kind of business is this and at what level (i.e. high end or something small and mom-and-pop like, or something online only).

It would be a good idea to disclose this information as someone who is really good at logo design but yet has a style that favors a very feminine approach to the design might not be interested in doing a logo for some online machine shop company (for example).

28. Post #348
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    265 Posts
    It is an online PC building company called SimRigs. The PC's are built and marketed toward sim racers.

29. Post #349
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    no.5 star map

in this brief we were to work with words, and come up with a collective noun for a profession, and then explore this visually. i chose a constellation of astronomers as i've always been interested in astronomy, and then it all sorta led to this. originally i was going to get a big piece of dark blue/black acrylic and cut the holes out where the 'stars' are, and put little LED lights through so you could hang it on your wall/ceiling and it would look like the night sky... but i ran out of time and money and just did this instead. considering the amount of time i've spent on it i'm not really happy with the outcome, i know it could be a lot better, but i just don't have the energy to work on it any more. ah well, it was quite fun to do!

is this the beige one you posted earlier? the one which was on a square grid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events

30. Post #350
    December 2006
    18,444 Posts
    yeahh, changed it to a dark circle instead P:

31. Post #351
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    yeahh, changed it to a dark circle instead P:
    I wonder what genius suggested it to be rounder
    :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #352
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,405 Posts
    I made some graphics for our drift cars on the team. I made apparel and stuff too but I'm most proud of the cars

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #353
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    I love that Silvia :3
    Do you have any higher res images of it? (~2000x1000)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,520 Posts
    Made a little logo for an upstart computer repair company.

This is only appearing on receipts. Any thoughts?

35. Post #355
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Made a little logo for an upstart computer repair company.

This is only appearing on receipts. Any thoughts?
    I think for receipts you should stick to just 1 colour, and have something simpler than what you have currently - perhaps just text in a nice font with some subtle stylizing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #356
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,589 Posts
    avoid gradients and glows, make the logo as flat as possible if it's going to be for receipts...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,520 Posts
    avoid gradients and glows, make the logo as flat as possible if it's going to be for receipts...
    It's sort of hard to describe what the client wanted when he said receipt, but he gave me a sample and I sort of volunteered my services. He had a plain text title with some sort of Microsoft Word text effect applied. This isn't a massively serious operation by any means; it's just a little service run out of someone's house. the "receipt" is more or less just a piece of A4 with information printed on it using an inkjet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #358
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,520 Posts
    Well, I posed the idea that we'd both run two parts of the same group in our respective areas. That means I'm not a computer repair person. Lovely. Well, I mocked up a version of the logo for my own use:

I like this one a lot more (AND not because it has my name plastered on it). Any thoughts? This will most likely appear on all printed materials, including self-made ads (I'll be supplying flatter versions to the local newspaper when/if I progress that far).

39. Post #359
    July 2006
    10,125 Posts
    We each got a mythical creature or person and had to design a sports logo based from it. I got the Phoenix
    I chose ice hockey (don't really know why just thought it would be fun).

I might try and make it more Phoenix looking. But what does everyone think so far?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

40. Post #360
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,888 Posts
    Looks more like a hawk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)