1. Post #1
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,979 Posts
    What's this new video of some egghead showing shit around in Windows 8?

Instead of improving NTFS (so that I don't get that stupid shit Windows 7 gave me after I rebooted during a bad, frozen write cycle), they "made it easy to slide photos and shit around".

They also made a (yet again) simpler UI. The good news is I don't have to lift a freaking finger to scratch my virtual friend's anus -- the bad news is that the average PC user IQ will drop from 85 (downs) to 13 (tuna sandwich).

Windows 8 can suck my dick.

Edit
    Sources, people! I shan't forget my sources!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgalasyn/arc...t-video-1.aspx: Same video, but in a more official domain (with shittier stream speeds), courtesy of Microsoft Developer Network.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny x 32Dumb x 6Agree x 5Informative x 2Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2010
    2,268 Posts
    It's a business, priority 1 is making money which means making it more marketable and appeal to a wider audience.

It's why open source is better, because priority 1 is to make it better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneckā„¢
    December 2009
    7,274 Posts
    Well, since they're making Windows 8 look like some horrible Rainmeter skin, I'll be staying with Windows 7/Linux...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree x 39Funny x 2Dumb x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    The current UI in Windows 7 is fine goddammit, now deliver that revolutionary filesystem you keep on postponing :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

5. Post #5
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,441 Posts
    Well, since they're making Windows 8 look like some horrible Rainmeter skin, I'll be staying with Windows 7/Linux...
    It's completely optional. Don't want it, don't use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 32Agree x 8Useful x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,447 Posts
    It's completely optional. Don't want it, don't use it.
    I feel compelled to rate every one of your posts "winner" because of your avatar.

Edited:

They also made a (yet again) simpler UI. The good news is I don't have to lift a freaking finger to scratch my virtual friend's anus -- the bad news is that the average PC user IQ will drop from 85 (downs) to 13 (tuna sandwich).
    I don't want to sound naive, but isn't simplicity and accessibility a good thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2007
    4,954 Posts
    this is an optional skin that will most likely only be used for tablets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2010
    84 Posts
    It's all about what it looks like nowadays, it seems. :|
    Need to be smooth, in design, but not in the core aspect!
    (sarcasm obviously)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I love how people judge an OS at face value and that's it.

"Instead of improving NTFS..."

Yeah instead of improving it, they're creating a whole new FS. But lets just shit on MS anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 11Zing x 2Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    I love how people judge an OS at face value and that's it.

"Instead of improving NTFS..."

Yeah instead of improving it, they're creating a whole new FS. But lets just shit on MS anyway.
    though truth be told, we don't actually know if that's a replacement for NTFS

unless we've learned more

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    though truth be told, we don't actually know if that's a replacement for NTFS

unless we've learned more
    Well from what I've read, it'd be awfully dumb of them to make this new FS which by the little info we have seems good and not use it for anything important.

And what Rafael found seemed to hint at replacement.

12. Post #12
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,625 Posts
    it looks pretty cool but an interface like that has no place on a desktop, OR a laptop for that matter

it belongs on phones and such
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,712 Posts
    it looks pretty cool but an interface like that has no place on a desktop, OR a laptop for that matter

you can always stick with the old interface
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,659 Posts

It's for tablets you goon. It can be turned off at the push of a button too from what I remember.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2009
    9,531 Posts
    It's for tablets you goon. It can be turned off at the push of a button too from what I remember.
    Bingo! Give this man a medal... Oh, but let's not let that stop us from exaggerating and forming a little "The Sky is Falling" cult.

Seriously, people, do a little more research. The new skin will be, from what we've heard so far, activated the same way alternate themes are activated today, through an appearance menu. They'll likely be recycling Windows 7's UI (with some improvements) as the base desktop UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,493 Posts
    This is what happens when gates retires. Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    He's still a chairman at Microsoft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    What happened? I've noticed nothing different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,880 Posts
    What happened? I've noticed nothing different.
    Well, a rather good OS called Windows 7 came by. Anyway, he probably have a big say in what the company should do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,659 Posts
    Bingo! Give this man a medal... Oh, but let's not let that stop us from exaggerating and forming a little "The Sky is Falling" cult.

Seriously, people, do a little more research. The new skin will be, from what we've heard so far, activated the same way alternate themes are activated today, through an appearance menu. They'll likely be recycling Windows 7's UI (with some improvements) as the base desktop UI.
    Yeah they seem to have done a lot of minimal adjustments to the Windows 7 Aero theme, sharpened the corners of windows and such. It looks pretty nice and is very clean still. Though if you do feel like it, you can always activate the tablet interface (Metro I think isn't it?).

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    Eew no thanks. I'm using a computer, not a smartphine. I'll keep my desktop.

Edited:

I hope so, because this I couldn't imagine anybody using that ui for business or anything serious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,594 Posts
    The new interface should be named L'interface terribles

Edited:

The new interface is terrible, much like Internet Exploder (AKA Le navigateur terribles) is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2010
    807 Posts
    Looks fine to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Garb is the dry stuff in the corner of your eyes when you just wake up.
    May 2010
    2,032 Posts

Why do people like touch computer so much?

It's frustrating me that windows is taking a apple approach at windows 8. Looks like im going to keep vista.

Edited:

I suppose it would be okay on a slate, but a desktop, ehhhh....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    A highly respected gentleman in Chernarus
    June 2010
    2,094 Posts
    Oh God, that portrait in the top right corner made me think of the Xbox 360's interface. Please God, no.

26. Post #26
    August 2005
    3,985 Posts
    Looks neat, and something new for a change. And who knows, maybe it's easier to use than all these windows floating about on my screen?

if it's not, I'll not use the feature.

Does anyone remember Windows Media Center in XP? It looks similar and it's probably gonna be implemented the same way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,659 Posts

Why do people like touch computer so much?

It's frustrating me that windows is taking a apple approach at windows 8. Looks like im going to keep vista.

Edited:

I suppose it would be okay on a slate, but a desktop, ehhhh....
    Boy, sure is "didn't read thread so i'll make stupid posts" in here!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2009
    9,531 Posts
    Boy, sure is "didn't read thread so i'll make stupid posts" in here!
    This is why we need Intelligence Points and Bad Reading back...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,293 Posts
    holy shit this thread is full of people making a bunch of blind assumptions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    The new interface should be named L'interface terribles

Edited:

The new interface is terrible, much like Internet Exploder (AKA Le navigateur terribles) is terrible.
    It's "terrible". Not "terribles". As in, "Ta grammaire est terrible."

And IE9 isn't that bad now!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,441 Posts
    From what I've seen so far, it's just Windows 7 with a giant windows phone panel that you can bring up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    It's "terrible". Not "terribles". As in, "Ta grammaire est terrible."

And IE9 isn't that bad now!
    IE10 makes IE9 look bad though. Even if IE10's only on PP2.

Speaking of the Touch UI, I think it's best to use it before you make an opinion. It's the same as a desktop icon, only much larger with more information which is live. When I look at all the programs I use, very few I would actually need the old desktop. To launch a game, I could do it directly via the new UI. To browse the web, the same. WLM, Skype, etc I'm sure will have support for the new UI which I could use it there as well.

People keep complaining about the fact it's just a phone OS UI because all they're doing is seeing some screenshots. However if you look at it as a chrome-less desktop with more information, then it really seems to me that this UI could be amazing. Of course it would take a little time getting used to it, but that's true with any change like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,229 Posts
    I do have a feeling Windows 8 changelist will consist of this:

Changes to kernel: 5
    Changes to UI: 4563
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    I do have a feeling Windows 8 changelist will consist of this:

Changes to kernel: 5
    Changes to UI: 4563
    I'm hoping that sense there's multiple groups working on Windows, MSX is working on the UI and another group is going through and doing what they did in Windows 7.

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    i REALLY HOPE they don't bloat the os with more gimmicky shiny bullcrap

windows classic master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts

Windows Classic has been removed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    IE10 makes IE9 look bad though. Even if IE10's only on PP2.

Speaking of the Touch UI, I think it's best to use it before you make an opinion. It's the same as a desktop icon, only much larger with more information which is live. When I look at all the programs I use, very few I would actually need the old desktop. To launch a game, I could do it directly via the new UI. To browse the web, the same. WLM, Skype, etc I'm sure will have support for the new UI which I could use it there as well.
    I don't even use the desktop. I just have shortcuts in my quick launch start menu. They could change it to a massive dildo that does Soulja Boy's Superman and I probably wouldn't notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,293 Posts

yes improved design is bloat and gimmicky

???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,880 Posts

System requirements will be the same or lower than Windows 7.

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Thank god, Windows classic brings back horrible memories of Windows 95, with that sarcastic mocking error sound.... God I hated that OS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)