1. Post #41
    September 2009
    1,444 Posts
    This is what happens when gates retires. Fuck.
    He stepped down as CEO 11 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,893 Posts
    He stepped down as CEO 11 years ago
    Also known as around the year of 2007.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    September 2009
    1,444 Posts
    Wikipedia posted:
    Gates stepped down as chief executive officer of Microsoft in January 2000. He remained as chairman and created the position of chief software architect
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I like how you conveniently ignored the part about how he still worked full time at Microsoft until, guess when, June 2006. Funnily enough Vista gets released a few months later :D

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    I like how you conveniently ignored the part about how he still worked full time at Microsoft until, guess when, June 2006. Funnily enough Vista gets released a few months later :D
    funnily enough vista was in the works for far more than a few months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The current UI in Windows 7 is fine goddammit, now deliver that revolutionary filesystem you keep on postponing :argh:
    I wish they'd just add support for Ext4, Btrfs, or XFS or something so I can actually use my external hard drive in Windows.

Edited:

It's all about what it looks like nowadays, it seems. :|
    Need to be smooth, in design, but not in the core aspect!
    (sarcasm obviously)
    Yeah they keep on changing the UI, but the underlying ugliness of Windows stays mostly the same.
    For Windows 9 they should just switch to a Unix core like OS X rather than pushing Win32/Win64
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,609 Posts
    When I read the title: Hmmm, SMD, what kind of a feature is that...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Panama Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    funnily enough vista was in the works for far more than a few months
    And guess when most of the testing happens?

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,893 Posts
    And guess when most of the testing happens?
    You can't blame Vista not being flawless on release because of Bill Gates not working full time. Bill Gates probably haven't much to do with the tiresome work of bug-testing.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,070 Posts
    You can't blame Vista not being flawless on release because of Bill Gates not working full time. Bill Gates probably haven't much to do with the tiresome work of bug-testing.
    News flash: Gates didnt do anything on vista except green lighting things. Ballmer is doing the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Ray Ozzie (Chief Software Architect) and Jim Allchin (Co-President of Platform Products and Services Group) were the top people during Vista. Both of which are no longer at Microsoft (retired). Jim left the day Vista released, Ray Dec 31st of last year.

Either way you can't blame who ever's at the top. Jim bashed Vista prior to the reset (which lead to the reset most likely)

"I am not sure how the company lost sight of what matters to our customers (both business and home) the most, but in my view we lost our way. I think our teams lost sight of what bug-free means, what resilience means, what full scenarios mean, what security means, what performance means, how important current applications are, and really understanding what the most important problems [our] customers face are. I see lots of random features and some great vision, but that doesn’t translate into great products.
    I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft. ... Apple did not lose their way. ..."

No one person is to blame for Vista.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I'm not blaming anyone, I'm sure it's a team effort. I just thought it was funny.