1. Post #121
    His wife, a native of Morris county, and a most estimable lady, died in 1869, at the age of 61.
    March 2011
    8,445 Posts
    DSOTM is the true gateway album for Pink Floyd it gives you a nice example of their definitive sound, and while being awesome it's not downhill from there going on to other albums. Tbh it just gets you hyped up for the other many albums of Pink Floyd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    Dark Side of the Moon. I consider it to be the most accessible. To put it this way, the average person is more likely to get into DSOTM than they are to Animals. Wish You Were Here would also be a good place to start granted that you don't mind long songs that are very instrumental. I know someone is going to suggest Meddle, but I really wouldn't suggest that as a first album.
    Yeah, it's better to "get to like" them before going onto more hard hitting stuff.

Animals is easy to absorb though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,804 Posts
    Dark Side of the Moon. I consider it to be the most accessible. To put it this way, the average person is more likely to get into DSOTM than they are to Animals. Wish You Were Here would also be a good place to start granted that you don't mind long songs that are very instrumental. I know someone is going to suggest Meddle, but I really wouldn't suggest that as a first album.
    yes, I do agree: Animals is less really reflective of PF style prog rock as WYWH or DSOTM. Furthermore DSOTM is so extremely popular that he's most likely to own it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    DSOTM is the true gateway album for Pink Floyd it gives you a nice example of their definitive sound, and while being awesome it's not downhill from there going on to other albums. Tbh it just gets you hyped up for the other many albums of Pink Floyd
    Agreed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #125
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,223 Posts
    I'd like to listen to Pink Floyd, but I have no idea where to start.

What would be a good album to listen to first?
    Step 1: Obtain every PF studio album (live and compilations are optional)
    Step 2: Listen in chronological order (I find it's the best way to really "experience" Pink Floyd)
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    yes, I do agree: Animals is less really reflective of PF style prog rock as WYWH or DSOTM. Furthermore DSOTM is so extremely popular that he's most likely to own it.
    I thought Animals and Meddle were prog and WYWH and Moon were more "art rock"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    November 2007
    11,804 Posts
    I dunno, Wikipedia has both WYWH and moon as simply "Progressive Rock".

Overall, however, I think the two albums would be the best introduction for a newcomer.

God I love Tubular Bells.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    Make your own definition of prog. Wiki is terrible at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,439 Posts
    Technical, slightly psychedelic pretentiousness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    So all prog is psychedelic and pretentious?
    No.

ELP and Yes are pretentious, doesn't mean they were the most prog.

I think it's the way the music moves that we have to take into account.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,439 Posts
    So all prog is psychedelic and pretentious?
    No.

ELP and Yes are pretentious, doesn't mean they were the most prog.

I think it's the way the music moves that we have to take into account.
    Sorry for making a joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    Pretentious hobo.

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,439 Posts
    Pretentious hobo.
    Leave Ian Anderson out of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,844 Posts
    According to my Dad, Prog is modern Classical music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,439 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,844 Posts
    Did you know Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin gave Monty Python money so they could make The Holy Grail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    September 2009
    4,396 Posts
    Awesome!

Edited:

Money well spent, seriously.

Why didn't they collab a song for the film :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

19. Post #139
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Was it a donation or an investment? I'm guessing donation, but think that an investment would be plausible.

Edited:

Animals is easy to absorb though.
    In what sense? Message wise, or musically? I can't see the album appealing to people who aren't use to long songs that are mostly instrumental. DSOTM strikes a good balance between vocals and music so that even if you aren't a big fan of more instrumental stuff, it is still tolerable. Maybe I'm mistaken in my perception about how a lot of people perceive music, because it seems to me that the average listener is most concerned with the vocals and don't like long parts without vocals. I think Animals is an easy listen to people who are already into more progressive music, but I can't imagine an average listener digesting it very well.

To be clear, I love instrumentals and long songs, but I'm trying to talk from the point of what I believe to be the average listener.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    August 2010
    5,382 Posts
    citizen_kane_applause.gif
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,439 Posts
    citizen_kane_applause.gif

For future use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,475 Posts
    I was talking to a guy on the bus about Pink Floyd yesterday (I was wearing my Wall Live t-shirt and he asked me if I'd seen it)

He told me that apparently Floyd recorded most of their concerts (even dating back to the Barrett era) as a form of "insurance" for when they could no longer make albums, and that they're all being kept in a big vault at EMI. So we may be seeing a series of Floyd bootlegs very soon.

Also the guy I was talking to had been to every Floyd tour since 1977, he was a pretty cool guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    Was it a donation or an investment? I'm guessing donation, but think that an investment would be plausible.

Edited:

In what sense? Message wise, or musically? I can't see the album appealing to people who aren't use to long songs that are mostly instrumental. DSOTM strikes a good balance between vocals and music so that even if you aren't a big fan of more instrumental stuff, it is still tolerable. Maybe I'm mistaken in my perception about how a lot of people perceive music, because it seems to me that the average listener is most concerned with the vocals and don't like long parts without vocals. I think Animals is an easy listen to people who are already into more progressive music, but I can't imagine an average listener digesting it very well.

To be clear, I love instrumentals and long songs, but I'm trying to talk from the point of what I believe to be the average listener.
    By average listener you mean a dullerd?

But I get you about the "not used to long songs"

However I don't see difficulty in putting on an album someone recommends wholeheartedly to you, if they don't want to hear it then don't force it.

24. Post #144
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    By average listener you mean a dullerd?
    More someone who listens to mostly pop. I don't really despise pop music or its listeners, but with most pop there focus is on the voice and far less focus on the musical elements. You may consider these types of people stupid or musically inept, but I think they just have different tastes and many people don't want music that challenges them. I can make a comparison to a lot of TV shows that people love, yet in reality the shows aren't creative and that are rather two dimensional. The fact that people enjoy these shows doesn't bother me because not everyone wants to watch something that is more in depth and creative.

25. Post #145
    July 2009
    4,282 Posts
    Did you know Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin gave Monty Python money so they could make The Holy Grail?
    And George Harrison invested heavily in other Python movies. He loved the Pythons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    More someone who listens to mostly pop. I don't really despise pop music or its listeners, but with most pop there focus is on the voice and far less focus on the musical elements. You may consider these types of people stupid or musically inept, but I think they just have different tastes and many people don't want music that challenges them. I can make a comparison to a lot of TV shows that people love, yet in reality the shows aren't creative and that are rather two dimensional. The fact that people enjoy these shows doesn't bother me because not everyone wants to watch something that is more in depth and creative.
    But you do want to admit that they're dullerds :-)

But in all realness, they aren't the type who look for the Floyd for discovering the style of music.

Although Wall does apply as pop music. Dark Side is not pop music at all, even "Money" I wouldn't regard as pop. Fair enough the riff is catchy but be realistic.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,853 Posts
    I hate it when people get all uppity about the music they listen to and it's a very Floyd fan thing to do

People who listen to modern pop music aren't stupid people, if you were to go to a party you wouldn't complain about the music they're playing because to do that you'd have to be a colossal dbag
    like one of my friends refuses to dance at clubs if the dj isn't good enough despite the fact that everyone else is fine with dancing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts
    Any music I listen to with people, I enjoy if they do.

Rare do I see the same return, unless they're a good friend. :)

Edited:

like one of my friends refuses to dance at clubs if the dj isn't good enough despite the fact that everyone else is fine with dancing
    Wait just a second. Not everyone has to like dancing. Whole other ballpart.

29. Post #149
    Quq

December 2010
    1,391 Posts
    And George Harrison invested heavily in other Python movies. He loved the Pythons.
    he appears in the Life of Brian briefly

30. Post #150
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    But you do want to admit that they're dullerds :-)
    No because I can't judge people based on their music, and judging their musical tastes just feels like a way of comparison. I can certainly judge music, I do that all the time in the CC, but I don't think I can judge taste.

People who listen to modern pop music aren't stupid people, if you were to go to a party you wouldn't complain about the music they're playing because to do that you'd have to be a colossal dbag
    Not dancing is pretty weird, though I don't really find fault with complaining about the music provided you aren't a dick about it. Like negative thoughts about the music that others seem to enjoy should be kept to yourself or people you know. I felt a bit out of place at a party with lots of weird pop music while wearing a Master of Puppets shirt. It did encourage a few people to talk about how bad the music was with me because they somehow guessed I wouldn't be into in the music being played.

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,853 Posts
    Any music I listen to with people, I enjoy if they do.

Rare do I see the same return, unless they're a good friend. :)

Edited:

Wait just a second. Not everyone has to like dancing. Whole other ballpart.
    No, its okay if you dont dance because you don't like dancing, that's different

but it's not okay if you enjoy dancing, you're out clubbing and say "This music is not worthy for me to dance to" when all your friends are out there having a good time, it ruins the mood sooooo bad

No because I can't judge people based on their music, and judging their musical tastes just feels like a way of comparison. I can certainly judge music, I do that all the time in the CC, but I don't think I can judge taste.

Not dancing is pretty weird, though I don't really find fault with complaining about the music provided you aren't a dick about it. Like negative thoughts about the music that others seem to enjoy should be kept to yourself or people you know. I felt a bit out of place at a party with lots of weird pop music while wearing a Master of Puppets shirt. It did encourage a few people to talk about how bad the music was with me because they somehow guessed I wouldn't be into in the music being played.
    Yeah it's fine to not like the music so long as you don't be a total dick about it

32. Post #152
    November 2007
    11,804 Posts
    Besides everyone knows PF makes the best dance music

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #153
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    That's the album with the rerecording of Money. Not nearly as good in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    November 2007
    11,804 Posts
    yeah i know, I just saw an opportunity for a joke

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,929 Posts

Not really getting you very well, seems you find pop music unattractive but don't put it into context with people's personalities.

Master of Puppets is Pop Metal :D

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,911 Posts
    That's the album with the rerecording of Money. Not nearly as good in my opinion.
    Still amazing that Gilmour played all the instruments in that rerecording, except for the saxophone. Which he now plays.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,853 Posts
    Red Sky at Night is one of the greatest sax pieces, Gilmour is great at sax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,911 Posts
    The long and expressive notes and passages he is most known for on the guitar transfers seamlessly to his sax playing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,844 Posts

This dude just captured the Floyd sound perfectly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,911 Posts
    Meh, when he bends, it seems like he can't quite get there, which is important if you want that 'sound.'