2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,853 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #483
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    I need to remember to listen to those in the morning. I'm too tired at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    I can't help but think the solo in Fat Old Sun is ripped off from Let It Be. I don't know which one was released first though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #485
    August 2010
    5,362 Posts
    The Flamings Lips covering Dark Side of the Moon
    Pretty good cover of the album. I like how the Lips arranged the songs to fit their own style, rather than trying a carbon copy of the album like so many other DSotM tribute albums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,853 Posts
    Pretty good cover of the album. I like how the Lips arranged the songs to fit their own style, rather than trying a carbon copy of the album like so many other DSotM tribute albums.
    I was about to post Phish or Dream Theater, but they just rehashed the album. Then I heard this one, which is a pretty interesting take on it.

7. Post #487
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    so a while ago i was talking about how i got a dark side of the moon poster over some girl's back album cataloge poster
    i thought about it

i went and got it today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #488
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,520 Posts
    I just noticed that, according to my LastFM, I have 420 plays for songs that are on The Wall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,725 Posts
    I can't help but think the solo in Fat Old Sun is ripped off from Let It Be. I don't know which one was released first though.
    They were released on the same year. Let it be was released in May, Fat Old Sun started to be played live July 16th. Definitely not plagiarised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

10. Post #490
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Gilmour rips off himself. The Shine On You Crazy Diamonds solo is very similar to an earlier solo he did. I wish I could remember what song. Kyle v2 sent me a link to it in the DD tinychat a while ago and I wouldn't remember it because I'm not all that knowledgeable of their earlier stuff. He also breaks up that same solo a lot on the Division Bell during a lot of the song intros and of course makes some minor changes, though I think that was more symbolic.

Edited:

Oh found it, Love Scene Version 6. Some people may not consider it that similar considering the song is totally different, but to me is it sound so very similar. Did he technically rip himself off? No, but he's using a ton of the same licks from that song in Shine On and when I first heard that song I felt like I was hearing the Shine On solo in a different genre.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #491
    November 2010
    2,250 Posts
    So Some 3-4 years ago I discovered Dream Theater and since then I've not found any other music I really like. I'd find something, listen to it, go back to listening to dream theater and forget the other thing. This went on for years, and the last 6 months it's been agonizing because a man can only listen to the same music over and over a gain before it becomes sickeningly repetitive.
    I'm delighted and relieved to post that I've found a way out of this loop, guess what it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

12. Post #492
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Whenever someone asks for music like Pink Floyd, people usually recommend Dream Theater. I'm big fans of both bands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,853 Posts
    Gilmour rips off himself. The Shine On You Crazy Diamonds solo is very similar to an earlier solo he did. I wish I could remember what song. Kyle v2 sent me a link to it in the DD tinychat a while ago and I wouldn't remember it because I'm not all that knowledgeable of their earlier stuff. He also breaks up that same solo a lot on the Division Bell during a lot of the song intros and of course makes some minor changes, though I think that was more symbolic.

Edited:

Oh found it, Love Scene Version 6. Some people may not consider it that similar considering the song is totally different, but to me is it sound so very similar. Did he technically rip himself off? No, but he's using a ton of the same licks from that song in Shine On and when I first heard that song I felt like I was hearing the Shine On solo in a different genre.
    Compare the opening solo of Raise My Rent (0:59) to the live opening solo of What Do you Want From Me? (0:32)

14. Post #494
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    Whenever someone asks for music like Pink Floyd, people usually recommend Dream Theater. I'm big fans of both bands.
    what about King Crimson?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,725 Posts
    I wouldn't compare Dream Theater and Pink Floyd at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #496
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Dream Theater try too hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Definitely not plagiarised.
    Yeah, the Gilmour one is longer and more rugged.

Edited:

what about King Crimson?
    They were more Jazz, Hard Rock and New Wave oriented. Nop.

When it's Pink Floyd... I'd think of things like Porcupine Tree, Hawkwind and stuff.

18. Post #498
    November 2010
    2,250 Posts
    I wouldn't compare Dream Theater and Pink Floyd at all.
    I definitely recognize some prog rock elements but yeah, it's pretty different.
    Especially dream theaters newer (and shittier(post 2000(with the exception of octavarium))) music, they've always been more prog metal than prog rock.

Anyways, gotten through 3 albums so far and so far I think Time is my favorite song of all time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,725 Posts
    Pink Floyd are in a league of their own I think with Prog. Probably because of the lyrical quality and the simplicity of their music. For prog its very very simple so much more memorable.

Stuff like Dream Theater is so technical that it actually ends up shitting me. King Crimson can't be compared, nor can Genesis or Yes or ELP because the lyrics are so fantastical and the music so complex. When I think Floyd, I think of bands like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead because they can't be categorised into a singular genre or labelled in any way at all. They're really really unique.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Prog bands are all unique and insane.

Edited:

When I think Floyd, I think of bands like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead because they can't be categorised into a singular genre or labelled in any way at all. They're really really unique.
    The way I see Floyd is the way they make you feel. Musically they're not easy to compare, but the mood is similar to things I've heard before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #501
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Pink Floyd are in a league of their own I think with Prog. Probably because of the lyrical quality and the simplicity of their music. For prog its very very simple so much more memorable.

Stuff like Dream Theater is so technical that it actually ends up shitting me. King Crimson can't be compared, nor can Genesis or Yes or ELP because the lyrics are so fantastical and the music so complex. When I think Floyd, I think of bands like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead because they can't be categorised into a singular genre or labelled in any way at all. They're really really unique.
    I've always been an old fashioned metal guy, but I like Pink Floyd simply because they're arguably of the greatest songwriters to come out of the UK, and when all 4 of their primary line up collaborate well, magic happens.

Edited:

This may sound dumb, but I don't see how Pink Floyd are even that 'progressive'. Nick Mason can't even play in complex time signatures, and their songs don't necessarily progress all the time. No doubt their stuff have that Progressive Rock feel though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Agreed. But hearing Piper At The Gates of Dawn and Animals, they're definitely prog/space rock.

Everything else is more artsy though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,725 Posts
    I've always been an old fashioned metal guy, but I like Pink Floyd simply because they're arguably of the greatest songwriters to come out of the UK, and when all 4 of their primary line up collaborate well, magic happens.

Edited:

This may sound dumb, but I don't see how Pink Floyd are even that 'progressive'. Nick Mason can't even play in complex time signatures, and their songs don't necessarily progress all the time. No doubt their stuff have that Progressive Rock feel though.
    I've always seen them as art rock more than prog. all of their early line up until Obscured by Clouds was prog, but you can't call anything past that prog except for maybe Animals. In fact its probably no coincidence that DSOTM was both their breakthrough album and the one that took a step away from prog.

All of Pink Floyd has prog elements to be sure, like unusual time signatures (Money is in 7/4 I think, or something unusual like that) and extended instrumentals and long songs, but it sounds so unlike any other prog band that you can't really call them that.

And I would argue that while all prog bands are unique they all share a similarity that makes them recognisable - Pink Floyd doesn't have that. So they could be called prog but they're very different to your average prog band.

24. Post #504
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Compare something like Close to the Edge or Red to things Pink Floyd have made.

On Moon I think Time is very prog.

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,725 Posts
    Compare something like Close to the Edge or Red to things Pink Floyd have made.

On Moon I think Time is very prog.
    On the Run, Any Colour you Like, Speak to Me, Great Gig in the Sky are pretty prog

Actually lets just class DSOTM as still quite prog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Great change in time signatures with On The Run yeah totally. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #507
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    I laughed, legit

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,725 Posts
    all of their early line up until Obscured by Clouds was prog
    I disagree, most of their early stuff was Psychedelic Rock, but Soundtrack From The Film More, Disc 2 of Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, and Obscured By Clouds are pretty much standard Prog, so all in all they danced around it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #509
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    Psych/Space Rock.

30. Post #510
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,853 Posts
    Yes, because all songs need time signature changes to be prog.

31. Post #511
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Prog rock is a time signature in itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    The only element of "Rock" in that song is the backing rhythm. If it struggles to even be rock how can it be PROG rock.

:smug:

33. Post #513
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,853 Posts
    The only element of "Rock" in that song is the backing rhythm. If it struggles to even be rock how can it be PROG rock.

:smug:
    You're viewing it incorrectly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    AK'z was just cracking a joke, did you actually take him seriously?

35. Post #515
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,447 Posts
    One thing that bothers me is the similarity of the guitar intros to Echoes and Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Echoes:
    Code:
    |------------12b14-------|----12b14--------|-----------|--12---12b14------|
    |------------------------|-----------------|----12b14--|------------------|
    |------------------------|-----------------|-----------|------------------|
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Code:
    |-13b15---13-15------------------------------------------------------|
    |-----------------------11-13-13b15--13-15---------------------------|
    |--------------------12----------------------------------------------|
    |--------------------------------------------------------------------|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

36. Post #516
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I've listened to

Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    DSOTM (Only skimmed over it, getting around to listening again)
    Division Bell (See above)
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Animals
    The Wall

What should I listen to next

37. Post #517
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    I've listened to

Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    Animals
    The Wall

The Final Cut

38. Post #518
    November 2007
    11,447 Posts
    I've listened to

Wish You Were Here
    Meddle
    Animals
    The Wall

Why'd you skim over DSOTM? Division Bell maybe but you DSOTM?

Ummagumma, a double album, features a studio album, which is basically each of the four members of PF (Wright, Waters, Gilmour, Mason) creating their own songs individually, and playing all instruments themself. Pretty hard to like.

It is a double album, though. The second part is a live CD, which is about as close to God as you can get so I recommend that.

39. Post #519
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Noted

Nothing have come close to enjoyable-ness like I heard during wish you were here though
    Piper was psychedelic as fuck though

40. Post #520
    November 2007
    11,447 Posts
    Noted

Nothing have come close to enjoyable-ness like I heard during wish you were here though
    Piper was psychedelic as fuck though
    Ummagumma live CD songs:

* Astronomy Domine
    * Saucerful of Secrets
    * Careful With That Axe, Eugene
    * Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Not in that order but you get the idea. They're all really long, longer than the originals I think