1. Post #401
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    I find driving is just about the best thing you can do while listening to Pink Floyd, because you can really just lose yourself in the music and feel it.

Some albums are better for it than others though - Meddle isn't so good; better when you're parked somewhere. DSOTM reigns supreme for the driving aspect for me.
    I would think Animals is better for driving, that think just progresses and doesn't stop the whole way through. Such a groovable album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,872 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #403
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    hmmm... I just watched the Gilmour, Wall thing again.

this time it was filmed professionally so you can actually see what he's doing. And I've got to say, he seems a bit less "enthusiastic" like he usually is when he did it.

I've seen a ton of his live performances and it seems he wasn't doing his usual expressions and rather "working for the sake of it".

Oh well, it's sad.

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,872 Posts
    hmmm... I just watched the Gilmour, Wall thing again.

this time it was filmed professionally so you can actually see what he's doing. And I've got to say, he seems a bit less "enthusiastic" like he usually is when he did it.

I've seen a ton of his live performances and it seems he wasn't doing his usual expressions and rather "working for the sake of it".

Oh well, it's sad.
    Or maybe he was too busy trying not to look down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #405
    His wife, a native of Morris county, and a most estimable lady, died in 1869, at the age of 61.
    March 2011
    8,020 Posts
    Waters dont need no education :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #406
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    Or maybe he was too busy trying not to look down.
    Gilmour has no fear.

7. Post #407
    August 2010
    5,362 Posts
    Gilmour has no fear.
    He's gonna fly high, he's never gonna die! :buddy:

8. Post #408
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Here's something new: Nick Mason is the most underrated member of Pink Floyd, clearly. I know that all solos, songwriting, vocals, and whatnot are more evident with Waters Gilmour Wright and crew, but Mason really helps you 'feel' the music if you know what I mean. During the whole of Dark Side his drumming just has that driving appeal to it, and in The Final Cut, particularly in Fletcher because there's not a lot of drumwork on that album, it just drives the music and gives it that oomph. Without Mason each solo would probably seem only about 2/3 as good as what it really is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

9. Post #409
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,872 Posts
    Here's something new: Nick Mason is the most underrated member of Pink Floyd, clearly. I know that all solos, songwriting, vocals, and whatnot are more evident with Waters Gilmour Wright and crew, but Mason really helps you 'feel' the music if you know what I mean. During the whole of Dark Side his drumming just has that driving appeal to it, and in The Final Cut, particularly in Fletcher because there's not a lot of drumwork on that album, it just drives the music and gives it that oomph. Without Mason each solo would probably seem only about 2/3 as good as what it really is
    Is Mason even on Fletcher? He wasn't on some tracks for TFC.

Edited:

But yes I agree. I've listened to bootlegs and there are some shows where Mason's drum phrases parallel Gilmour's guitar phrases.

10. Post #410
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    yeah, he's a talented geezer. truly awesome.

11. Post #411
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Is Mason even on Fletcher? He wasn't on some tracks for TFC.

Edited:

But yes I agree. I've listened to bootlegs and there are some shows where Mason's drum phrases parallel Gilmour's guitar phrases.
    He's on the tracks that DO include drumming bar the last one because apparently he couldn't play the off time signatures.

I find that really strange seeing as he's the drummer for the most iconic Prog bands of all time yet he cant Prog drum

Edited:

yeah, he's a talented geezer. truly awesome.
    That Fletcher solo... the drums themselves just tell you the emotion of it... it's hard to describe, quite phenominal really

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    mason's best drumming is on Animals imo.

13. Post #413
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    That's acceptable. After all, drum tracking 17 minute long pieces near perfect is NOT an easy job

14. Post #414
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    well he sounds like he is having fun... so to be honest I give most praise to Mason on that because he didn't lose his ruthless drumming in it.

sad that they didn't carry on that style after it.

15. Post #415
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    But that's the charm of Pink Floyd. They change but stay true each album

16. Post #416
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,767 Posts
    Mason is very self-deprecating, he's never pretended to know about drums which I find funny

Someone asked if he'd be interested in setting up a number of drum clinics once and he said he'd rather let them get taught by someone who knew how to play the drums properly

To be honest, mason's drumming is very simple and it works beautifully
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #417
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    yeah he's like the Ringo of Floyd. Plenty of heart.

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,762 Posts
    mason's best drumming is on Animals imo.
    Ahem.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

19. Post #419
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,767 Posts
    Don't worry about AK'z, I can no longer see my animals album due to all the semen he's ejected onto it :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts

21. Post #421
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Atom Face Mother

22. Post #422
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,762 Posts

They need to do another re-broadcast of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,872 Posts
    KQED is a good channel. Lots of quality edu-tainment. They've shown PULSE on it and Gdansk. The only bad thing about PBS is having to sit through the parts where they ask you for money.

24. Post #424
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,756 Posts
    So guys, any plans on when we are going to watch Gdansk on stream?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,762 Posts
    I used to have PULSE recorded on my PVR, but it got mysteriously deleted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

26. Post #426
    August 2010
    5,362 Posts
    So guys, any plans on when we are going to watch Gdansk on stream?
    blargh

You guys sort it out. I can't stream on Saturday, if we're doing it this week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #427
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Mason is very self-deprecating, he's never pretended to know about drums which I find funny

Someone asked if he'd be interested in setting up a number of drum clinics once and he said he'd rather let them get taught by someone who knew how to play the drums properly

To be honest, mason's drumming is very simple and it works beautifully
    I find that rather strange, because according to Gilmour in an interview in Paris, Mason was the only one in Pink Floud to ever get proper music lessons. Even though he did say there was only 'a little bit', compared to the rest of the band that are essentially influential gods of their instruments and taught themselves (particularly Rick who I was amazed to hear he didn't learn properly and still don't believe it, see next sentence) Mason clearly received the least credit for his work because comparatively it's awful.

And I don't see how Rick Wright could have possibly blown his money on so many pianos, keyboards, organs and synthesizers knowing he's not going to use them to the full of their capabilities, he must have practised 24/7 if he taught himself keys

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,767 Posts
    I find that rather strange, because according to Gilmour in an interview in Paris, Mason was the only one in Pink Floud to ever get proper music lessons. Even though he did say there was only 'a little bit', compared to the rest of the band that are essentially influential gods of their instruments and taught themselves (particularly Rick who I was amazed to hear he didn't learn properly and still don't believe it, see next sentence) Mason clearly received the least credit for his work because comparatively it's awful.

And I don't see how Rick Wright could have possibly blown his money on so many pianos, keyboards, organs and synthesizers knowing he's not going to use them to the full of their capabilities, he must have practised 24/7 if he taught himself keys
    Yeah, I think he's got the talent but is just a bit self-deprecating about it though. He can't read music - he and I think Roger made their own system of notation which was apparently really architectural-like.

Also didn't Rick just try to stick to the hammond as often as possible?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

29. Post #429
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,762 Posts
    Nick's drumming wasn't awful, he just dumbed it down for too long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

30. Post #430
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts

They need to do another re-broadcast of this.
    I've been looking for Atom Heart Mother live for so long.

Thank you.

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,872 Posts

Gilmour also had to take music lessons when he learned the saxophone.

32. Post #432
    September 2009
    4,392 Posts
    Today I helped with putting the ice on my local ice rink.

I had Prism playing on my iPod.

All the cold seemed to disappear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #433
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Yeah, I think he's got the talent but is just a bit self-deprecating about it though. He can't read music - he and I think Roger made their own system of notation which was apparently really architectural-like.
    Sounds very floyd ^^

Also didn't Rick just try to stick to the hammond as often as possible?
    Stil though, he ruled anything that had a key layout

34. Post #434
    August 2006
    66 Posts
    Found this sitting in a record shop before it closed, the owner said it had been there for less than 24 hours. I Looked up the vinyl code and it's an original release of Wish You Were Here.
    The pride and joy of my vinyl collection.

Excuse blurquality image due to phone camera.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

35. Post #435
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,690 Posts
    yeah they have a copy in my record store, I should pick that up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #436
    July 2011
    174 Posts
    Bands like Pink Floyd are why I should aquire gramophone LPs

37. Post #437
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts
    Found this sitting in a record shop before it closed, the owner said it had been there for less than 24 hours. I Looked up the vinyl code and it's an original release of Wish You Were Here.
    The pride and joy of my vinyl collection.

Excuse blurquality image due to phone camera.
    It has the US Cover same as mine. I don't know which one I like better.

US - Man on fire's leaning back.
    UK - He's leaning forward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #438
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,605 Posts
    It has the US Cover same as mine. I don't know which one I like better.

US - Man on fire's leaning back.
    UK - He's leaning forward.
    Huh, I never knew there were different versions!

To be honest, in the first one it seems more realistic, meaning less obvious that it's a photoshoot and he is very anxious to be extinguished thank you very much
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

39. Post #439
    November 2009
    6,692 Posts
    I have to say, listening to Comfortably Numb while picking up garbage in my neighborhood makes the day go by better.

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,767 Posts
    I prefer the UK one, gets across the pain better of the businessman which suits better as I've always seen the businessman to be a semi-representation of Barret
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)