1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,194 Posts

Welcome to the Web Development Forum's sixth "What are you working on?" thread. To keep things running smoothly, please try to stick to the following guidelines:

▬ This isn't a question thread; please avoid using it as such.
    ▬ Don't be a jerk.
    ▬ Stay on-topic ( but do keep in mind this is accepted as the general chat thread for this section ).
    ▬ Avoid building business plans around already existing ideas. This includes not only the whole goddamned concept, but the name and overall style.
    ▬ Don't post while drunk.
    ▬ Don't post while pretending to be drunk. Really, that's just embarrassing for everyone.

Previous versions:

Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny x 7Winner x 4Programming King x 3Optimistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Content-filled OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,194 Posts
    Content-filled OP
    I wanted it to accurately reflect the last WAYWO thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 27Zing Zing x 4Programming King Programming King x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    You represented it perfectly then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Mexican Moderator
    May 2009
    1,737 Posts
    AntoniD posted:
    Did this at 1am, eh

dunno about it, just a basic splash page since I have nothing better to do

I need a better image to show on the screen too

Removed the iPhone since I don't really have a mobile design, and it's mainly aimed for use on laptops or desktops, not phones anyway.

How does it work? does the screen cutting off like that look ok? Or should I show the full screen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    You basically stole my design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2008
    1,078 Posts
    How does it work? does the screen cutting off like that look ok? Or should I show the full screen?
    It feels like you've taken a print screen of the website then shown half of it. I'd say you should show the full screen. Maybe try having two column text on top then the screen then the input boxes. Then have the screen to have a slider that changes to show what "Gradstr" does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista New Zealand Show Events

8. Post #8
    Mexican Moderator
    May 2009
    1,737 Posts
    It feels like you've taken a print screen of the website then shown half of it. I'd say you should show the full screen. Maybe try having two column text on top then the screen then the input boxes. Then have the screen to have a slider that changes to show what "Gradstr" does.
    Hmm, sounds like a good idea!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    August 2008
    301 Posts
    This is why we have nice things.

Edited:

Also http://minthoster.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    June 2011
    273 Posts
    [LIST][*]Don't be a jerk.[*]Stay on-topic ( but do keep in mind this is accepted as the general chat thread for this section ).[*]Don't post while drunk.[*]Don't post while pretending to be drunk. Really, that's just embarrassing for everyone.[/LIST]
    Cool, I have rules made just for me

Edited:

Post highlights please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    I'm liking how this is coming along:

Quite hard to show a design that is quite interactive in a screenie. Below is the theme thumb when hovered:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    Redid the coming soon page for cottoncandy a bit. http://freezing-mist-419.herokuapp.com/

I'm not good at drawing icons, as you can see from the favicon

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8 (list)

13. Post #13
    Redid the coming soon page for cottoncandy a bit. http://freezing-mist-419.herokuapp.com/

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think the favicon looks good. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts

Do you all just use macs in your designs because the average person thinks they look nice?
    Or for some reason they think there amazing computers and massively expensive?

Because I think I will be using a nice Dell Ultrasharp monitor in my next design which requires an image like that.

Edited:

Not trolling, just want to know purely from a design perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    Do you all just use macs in your designs because the average person thinks they look nice?

Because I think I will be using a nice Dell Ultrasharp monitor in my next design which requires an image like that.

Edited:

Monitors for macs looks sexy IMO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,639 Posts
    I'm liking how this is coming along:

<images>

Quite hard to show a design that is quite interactive in a screenie. Below is the theme thumb when hovered:
    It looks like all you did was take design elements from other places (iPhone apps) and stuck them in a big cluster fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    Erp
    October 2009
    4,585 Posts
    It looks like all you did was take design elements from other places (iPhone apps) and stuck them in a big cluster fuck.
    He takes tutorials and such from nettuts and other sites and then combines them all and calls it his own work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts
    Monitors form macs looks sexy IMO
    Really? It might just be me but I hate curvy things, I prefer clean edges and angular shapes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #19
    July 2010
    1,750 Posts
    Monitors for macs looks sexy IMO
    Whoa i clicked the reply button? whoops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts
    Yep, that's Spiders-designs for you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    8,836 Posts
    Currently making this for a company

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts

I can't tell. Is that a serious design or not? The fonts are so inconsistent and blurry.

23. Post #23
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,210 Posts

I'm going to be invoicing you for a new set of eyes, please have your chequebook ready
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think the favicon looks good. :)
    No joke, I'm salivating just looking at it.

I honestly like the favicon colors better then the purple on the website. I know you're probably past the "playing around with the background" phase of design but seriously, try reducing the opacity of the pattern by about 5-10% and go for something a little less mega purple and more of a dark purple/pink. Just do it. I'm curious!

25. Post #25
    TIME ALLEN
    May 2008
    1,639 Posts

Red, green, blue font logo, but a orange site theme and black and white photo??
    and what's with the varying fonts? First it's serif, then not serif-ed. Make up your mind about the serif-ness!

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    He takes tutorials and such from nettuts and other sites and then combines them all and calls it his own work.
    Pipe down. Many of the actual elements are Orman Clarks. Apart from Orman Clark freebies there is nothing that could in anyway be attributed to anyone else or a tutorial. What percentage of design is 100% new? Very little. Design is all about using, expanding, improving and collating existing pieces/practices and the combination of these is design. A movie can have some great special effects and people don't say "What? they didn't make any special effects! The car scene was basically a copy of the italian job, the explosion was from tropic thunder, the helicopter crash was a mix between Die hard 4 and mission impossible.". The design I just posted is a unique combination of design elements which I think have produced an easy to use and intuitive interface.

Do you honestly think that an artist would be able to make nice music if they had never heard any piece of music? NO - they take and expand upon existing pieces to create there own. That's why you get trends in design - everyone isn't magically coming up with the same ideas at once.

I believe this forum is "web development" not "web design".

Take this example:

I was designing the appearance page (yes actually doing some thinking and designing - even though you find it hard to believe that I am capable of doing that) and had decided that the theme tiles with the additional info displayed on hover was a good way of doing things (inspiration was bbc iplayer). I needed a tick image which shows the selected theme - I knew that Orman Clark has released one that looked really nice. If you're telling me that you would go into photoshop and spend some time creating this all new radical tick to put on your design just so you could say "I made that tick" then fine - you obviously like wasting your time when a perfectly good resource is available for you. If (and I suspect this is the case) not then you have to ask yourself if you are not being slightly hypocritical. Its not as if I said "I designed that tick" or I've copied an entire design as is - I have used elements from loads of places including many of my own for my UI. You won't find that appearance page design anywhere else - it came out of my brain. And if the new wordpress themes page sports a similiar design (which it might well do as I am one of the people that am responsible for redoing the current one) I wouldn't say "oi - I designed that" I would be pleased that it is being adopted in software used on over 50 million sites. After all, if you know of a better way of doing something then why wouldn't you do it that way?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2007
    1,282 Posts
    Most people use freebies as inspirational tidbits, not as actual design elements. I think that's the point he was making.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,514 Posts
    Pipe down. Many of the actual elements are Orman Clarks. Apart from Orman Clark freebies there is nothing that could in anyway be attributed to anyone else or a tutorial. What percentage of design is 100% new? Very little. Design is all about using, expanding, improving and collating existing pieces/practices and the combination of these is design. A movie can have some great special effects and people don't say "What? they didn't make any special effects! The car scene was basically a copy of the italian job, the explosion was from tropic thunder, the helicopter crash was a mix between Die hard 4 and mission impossible.". The design I just posted is a unique combination of design elements which I think have produced an easy to use and intuitive interface.

Do you honestly think that an artist would be able to make nice music if they had never heard any piece of music? NO - they take and expand upon existing pieces to create there own. That's why you get trends in design - everyone isn't magically coming up with the same ideas at once.
    yeah I agree, it's very difficult to design something functional (As opposed to purely for aesthetics) without taking inspiration from different sources, because the stuff other good people have used is what works best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    Most people use freebies as inspirational tidbits, not as actual design elements. I think that's the point he was making.
    The only 2 things in that image that were taken were the tick on the theme (its a tick - come on there is only so many ways to do a tick) and the beta banner background was taken from xcode - again there is only so many ways to do a beta banner why spend time creating something that either doesn't look as good or essentially looks the same when you could just use that one? I can't wait to start doing my donation page - I have a great vision as to what I want that to look like and because it is more aesthetcics than functional it will be all mine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    920 Posts
    Web dev now on the front page
    ~We're branchin' out bitchez~

-welp-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,022 Posts
    Web dev now on the front page
    ~We're branchin' out bitchez~

inb4 influx of n3wbz
    Are you one of them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,013 Posts
    Quick question, does anyone know of a small(really small) php templating system, I only need a really basic one, the smaller the better.

33. Post #33
    Erp
    October 2009
    4,585 Posts
    smarty?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    440 Posts
    Quick question, does anyone know of a small(really small) php templating system, I only need a really basic one, the smaller the better.
    Compwhizzi posted one a few days ago. It looked good - i'll likely take a look for when I get to the templating part of my plugin framework.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #35
    February 2011
    920 Posts

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,250 Posts

"west yorkshire"

MEAT AND 'TATER PIES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    June 2011
    273 Posts

Edited:

Because they look nice and because Apple gives out pretty good high-resolution pictures of them.

I made this in about 10 minutes, using only pictures found on the web (Google Images) for free. Here are the only two pictures I've used:

and

Along with a screenshot of Cottoncandy.

Damn, Cottoncandy has such an appealing color scheme. Good job a2h.

Edited:

7z of the .psd file (36mb uncompressed )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    987 Posts

I'm back from my week ban with content
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    June 2011
    86 Posts
    I'm back from my week ban with content
    I don't really like the looks of those links.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #40
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,045 Posts

-imgsnip-

Do you see something wrong with this image?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)