1. Post #2841
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,814 Posts
    You guys aren't really gonna leave that thing in Jim's room are you? Chez would have a "THIS IS NOT RP-LIKE AND DOESN'T FIT IN WITH THE THEME" attack if he found out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

2. Post #2842
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,519 Posts
    You guys aren't really gonna leave that thing in Jim's room are you? Chez would have a "THIS IS NOT RP-LIKE AND DOESN'T FIT IN WITH THE THEME" attack if he found out.
    What thing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #2843
    June 2009
    475 Posts
    What thing?
    The Fungeon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #2844
    June 2007
    8,519 Posts
    IMO, we need a map reset, but some serious groundwork has to be put in place first to make sure it works.

1. No more of this "Beta" bullshit. Make the new map open when EVERYTHING is in place, decided, and FINAL. Expansions can come, but they need to be better organized.

2. No more fast-travels. Made war and other activity requiring travel uninteresting.

3. Laissez-Faire approach to warfare and structures. No more regulating what materials buildings can use, or how they can be designed. I'm not asking for free-build here, or huge sheets of cobble floating in the air, as most players will know that structures have to be able to last. Especially when it comes to designing fortresses. Trust me, from other war servers I have played on, even the most impregnable of fortresses will crumble from attrition after long wars. With our 1.8 and Release version, we sacrificed a lot of great gameplay that we had before for "realism". Remember our map we had before 1.8 came? That was great.

4. Less hands on the factions. Remember the pre-1.8 map we had that had several factions? We really should bring it back to those days. No factions became dominant or OP, and that was without any real regulation. Hell, we even had several sub-factions that were colonies of another faction.

These, on the subject of how regulated AOM has become, lead me to my next points, on modding:

5. We need Iconomy. The old way of trading was screwed up by fiat currencies that inflated uncontrollably and infinitely. *cough*enderpearls*cough*. This system with Iconomy would allow for a better economy, facilitating trade NATURALLY (And not through enforcement) by making trading much easier, and having a currency that is backed up. This would also make the "Bank" faction useful again

6. Spout based modding. These will allow for so much things to be added that are impossible with vanilla Minecraft clients. Modophobics, have no fear *cough*lordgeorge16*cough*, all you need to do to use spout is to use the spoutcraft launcher. From there it will inject all the needed features into your JAR, allowing you to enjoy server based mods without having to install them on your client. Think of it like Garrysmod's Lua features.

6A. NPCs. This would allow admins to add quests of sorts into the map, and allow players to set up shops without having to actually man it all the time, or rush to it whenever someone wants to buy.

I will come up with more as it comes to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #2845
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    Yadda yadda still butthurt
    1. The reason the "beta bullshit" was used was because people were complaining about the downtime, it wasn't planned to be that way, and as a result it was rushed.
    2. There's no fast travel on the server right now, that people abuse the TPA function is a whole other thing.
    3. It's a RolePlaying server, realism is important. The world function as a set piece for the adventures of the players, hence they have to make sense. Having walls and structures that can not be blown up because of obsidian, makes zero sense.
    4. We tried this in the beginning of the last map reset, you were one of many that made it infeasible from a roleplaying perspective to keep that going, so we had to structure it a lot more.
    5. Economy plugins completely ruin the whole aspect of roleplaying. Economies are based on people actually wanting to trade, not because the function exists "naturally".
    6. Suggested this before, Chez didn't like the idea of having to force people modding their game simply to play on the server, maybe he has changed his mind.
    6A. No, it's a roleplaying server, not an action-RPG server. NPCs lack the depth required to add to the immersion, instead they subtract from it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #2846
    January 2011
    389 Posts
    Man, it's pretty lonely out here on the server. Did I miss the big event?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #2847
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    More or less, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #2848
    December 2011
    363 Posts
    Seems pretty legit, Could you add me?
    IGN = Lars4

9. Post #2849
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    Seems pretty legit, Could you add me?
    IGN = Lars4
    Could you accept the rules?

10. Post #2850
    December 2011
    363 Posts
    Could you accept the rules?
    I've read the rules, and i accept them, i'm pretty sure they say that i don't have to do anything special to get whitelisted

11. Post #2851
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    Whitelisted.

12. Post #2852

June 2011
    593 Posts
    1. The reason the "beta bullshit" was used was because people were complaining about the downtime, it wasn't planned to be that way, and as a result it was rushed.
    2. There's no fast travel on the server right now, that people abuse the TPA function is a whole other thing.
    3. It's a RolePlaying server, realism is important. The world function as a set piece for the adventures of the players, hence they have to make sense. Having walls and structures that can not be blown up because of obsidian, makes zero sense.
    4. We tried this in the beginning of the last map reset, you were one of many that made it infeasible from a roleplaying perspective to keep that going, so we had to structure it a lot more.
    5. Economy plugins completely ruin the whole aspect of roleplaying. Economies are based on people actually wanting to trade, not because the function exists "naturally".
    6. Suggested this before, Chez didn't like the idea of having to force people modding their game simply to play on the server, maybe he has changed his mind.
    6A. No, it's a roleplaying server, not an action-RPG server. NPCs lack the depth required to add to the immersion, instead they subtract from it.
    why have you been so edgy lately
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2853
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,202 Posts
    I'm gonna say this for all of your benefits, seeing as you don't seem to realize it yourselves.

This server has, at most, maybe 20 active members on it, and that's an optimistic estimate.

Stop acting like every goddamn thing everyone does is some immense labyrinthine effort to ruin your day. This goes to everyone, most specifically Soyuz and the people who are conflicted with him.

Having THIS much bullshit surrounding such a small server is exactly why nobody joins it. It's like walking into a gaming club only to see everyone arguing over stupid shit like it actually mattered. This is one RP server out of dozens of more populated and frankly more well-organized experiences.

The only people on here are either direct friends or your friend's friends. Stop acting like this place is good enough to deserve constant argument over it's operation.

Its a place to RP a bit, and build some stuff. Not the magnum opus that you have to argue over like assholes. Try to enjoy it a little more and bitch about it a little less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #2854
    December 2009
    7,260 Posts
    I haven't been on the server lately for a couple reasons.

First of all, I'm busy. Real life stuff is ramping up and I have to get on top of that.

The other thing, as I've postponed saying for a while, is that the server is simply not fun anymore. I have run out of ideas for how to get more people on it, and instead of being draconian in terms of how to get this server open to more people, I'm open to some huge changes.

Anyone have ideas, however crazy they may be, to get the server more popular? This can include changing the server in drastic ways, or really anything. All these ideas will be considered as a "Last Hope" for the server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

15. Post #2855
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,269 Posts
    I kinda miss the old times, with Manu mortis and huge cities.

Edited:

We could add some NPC guards and maybe even 1-2 traders to the settlements.
    And we should ofcourse have one agressive faction.
    And some larger cities.
    And long siege events.

Edited:

And ofcouse subversive actions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #2856
    intelligent asuran who don’t need no bookah
    April 2010
    908 Posts
    I don't know about you guys, but I am having a ton of fun when people are online. Sure, it's a ton more quiet now but it's still a great barrel of fun when people role play right and take part in events.

17. Post #2857
    June 2007
    8,519 Posts
    I don't know about you guys, but I am having a ton of fun when people are online. Sure, it's a ton more quiet now but it's still a great barrel of fun when people role play right and take part in events.
    By fun, I think Chez meant stuff like in our Pre 1.8 map.

Remember when we had wars every so often? Nowadays war is pretty much the same as a North Korea-South Korea dickwave. No actual wars happen anymore. And there is single faction dominance going on (You can partially blame me for that, thanks to me being a shrewd political operator (I never asked for this)).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2858
    June 2009
    475 Posts

Remember when we had wars every so often? Nowadays war is pretty much the same as a North Korea-South Korea dickwave. No actual wars happen anymore. And there is single faction dominance going on (You can partially blame me for that, thanks to me being a shrewd political operator (I never asked for this)).
    If you actually joined the server now and again, you would know a massive two-day war just finished between the Templars and Dikari.

19. Post #2859
    December 2009
    7,260 Posts
    I kinda miss the old times, with Manu mortis and huge cities.Edited:We could add some NPC guards and maybe even 1-2 traders to the settlements.And we should ofcourse have one agressive faction.And some larger cities.And long siege events.Edited:And ofcouse subversive actions
    As terribly imbalanced as the older days were, I do miss them. I miss the hatred, the mean politics, the ruthless dealings, and awesome takeovers.Now, everyone is just nice and the only thing to get people together is "RP events". It's more of building cities with role-playing elements rather than building cities with the intention of protecting them from their inevitable destruction by glorious war.

20. Post #2860
    August 2008
    440 Posts

As I pointed out earlier, forcing war just because it is fun is contradictory to the idea of a ROLEPLAYING server. As I've been saying to all the other people that have been going "we need more war because that is fun!", that is not the idea behind the server at all, if you are into PvP then join a PvP server or a Faction-oriented server. With that said, you are also free to create an outlaw/bandit/aggressive faction yourself and wage war on the factions, nothing is stopping you from roleplaying a war-like nation, just know that it comes with its dangers to do so, since no one will like you IC. Also, as Plecy pointed out, had you actually been active, you'd had known there was just a pretty huge war between Dikari and the Templars. On that subject I can announce that the Templars won and George Rikudo has been executed as a result of that.
    I stand by my earlier premise that what AoM actually need is a stricter lore-setting, and apply the RP-recipe that every other roleplaying game has been; the only difference is that in Minecraft we are actually allowed to easily, in real-time, craft our own world. However, I will come back on that subject later on (in another post, with a full-release of my proposed lore-setting and server-mechanics).

Also, the problem I think you're having Chez is that you RP far too little, you just fly around building random buildings here and there because you are bored -- most of which add nothing to the story of the players itself.

21. Post #2861
    December 2009
    7,260 Posts
    As I pointed out earlier, forcing war just because it is fun is contradictory to the idea of a ROLEPLAYING server. As I've been saying to all the other people that have been going "we need more war because that is fun!", that is not the idea behind the server at all, if you are into PvP then join a PvP server or a Faction-oriented server. With that said, you are also free to create an outlaw/bandit/aggressive faction yourself and wage war on the factions, nothing is stopping you from roleplaying a war-like nation, just know that it comes with its dangers to do so, since no one will like you IC. Also, as Plecy pointed out, had you actually been active, you'd had known there was just a pretty huge war between Dikari and the Templars. On that subject I can announce that the Templars won and George Rikudo has been executed as a result of that. I stand by my earlier premise that what AoM actually need is a stricter lore-setting, and apply the RP-recipe that every other roleplaying game has been; the only difference is that in Minecraft we are actually allowed to easily, in real-time, craft our own world. However, I will come back on that subject later on (in another post, with a full-release of my proposed lore-setting and server-mechanics). Also, the problem I think you're having Chez is that you RP far too little, you just fly around building random buildings here and there because you are bored -- most of which add nothing to the story of the players itself.
    Yeah, I really should get into the swing of RPing again. I haven't been on the server lately, and I guess I have been missing so much.I don't know what sort of character I could play, though, but I'll discuss that with you a bit later.

22. Post #2862
    April 2010
    908 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #2863
    January 2007
    7,269 Posts
    MC has updated?
    Should I?

Also, who wants to join to Imperium?

Edited:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Iron_Golem
    Wow, now we can have guards

Edited:

Also, now worlds are 256 blocks tall.
    So, restart?

Edited:

Also villages can breed now, and they will occupy empty houses.
    I'll make huge city for them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #2864
    February 2012
    10 Posts
    Is it being updated or somethin' cause none of my friends or i can get on it.

25. Post #2865
    January 2007
    7,269 Posts
    Wow, those jungles and redstone lamps are awesome.

26. Post #2866
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,814 Posts
    The MOTD clearly states not to let your game update to 1.2 if you want to keep playing on Age of Mines until either A. Bukkit and the faction plugin is fully updated and we can let the server update to 1.2, or B. We decide to finish up this map and make a new one (And finally implement the new lore).

Speaking of finishing the map up, when we're pretty much done with everything, can we have an extra day where we log in as our characters and say our good-byes and leave the lands? Since the new map will have new lore, and chances are, we can't reuse our characters from this map, I thought it would be nice to have a sort of small ending for each of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

27. Post #2867
    February 2012
    10 Posts
    what happens if you accidently updated your game???

28. Post #2868
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,814 Posts
    what happens if you accidently updated your game???
    Then you can't join unless you use MCNostalgia to downgrade your game to 1.1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2869
    January 2007
    7,269 Posts
    This is going to be awesome.

30. Post #2870
    February 2012
    10 Posts
    When will the next one be coming out

31. Post #2871
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    I will make a lengthier post on the current situation of AoM later (probably tomorrow), so for now I'll only answer the question we seem to get asked the most: We will not be doing a map reset until the new lore and map has been finalized (which will take a while), however, it WILL happen - we just don't want any downtime on the server whilst we create the new map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2872
    December 2009
    7,260 Posts
    So, is the server down?

By the way, how are we going to make the new world, soyuz?

33. Post #2873
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,114 Posts
    The server is going to be awesome when we get the new map. Especially with the new height limit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

34. Post #2874
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    So, is the server down?

By the way, how are we going to make the new world, soyuz?
    Magic, obviously. So a mixture between biomed, voxelsniper and worldedit.

The server is now up again (running 1.1), but due to the latest CB breaking a couple of administrative plugins we're only letting the trusted* members on, list can be found here: http://pastebin.com/1xT7HdW5

*A hastily edited list consisting of regulars
    If you believe you should be on this list send me a PM or post in the thread and I'll look it over.

35. Post #2875

February 2012
    6 Posts
    Hi I just tried to go on the server and it says I'm no linger whitelisted, so can I be added so I can play again, thanks (shasocais)
    Magic, obviously. So a mixture between biomed, voxelsniper and worldedit.

The server is now up again (running 1.1), but due to the latest CB breaking a couple of administrative plugins we're only letting the trusted* members on, list can be found here: http://pastebin.com/1xT7HdW5

*A hastily edited list consisting of regulars
    If you believe you should be on this list send me a PM or post in the thread and I'll look it over.

36. Post #2876
    February 2012
    10 Posts
    Can i be whitelisted to the trusted players list??? you know me

Edited:

IGN (Spider_Monkey)

37. Post #2877
    April 2010
    908 Posts
    Appears I am not whitelisted!
    IGN is Theportalmaster incase.

38. Post #2878
    August 2008
    440 Posts
    Hi I just tried to go on the server and it says I'm no linger whitelisted, so can I be added so I can play again, thanks (shasocais)
    Can i be whitelisted to the trusted players list??? you know me

Edited:

IGN (Spider_Monkey)
    Whitelisted you both.

39. Post #2879
    February 2012
    10 Posts
    cheers

40. Post #2880

February 2012