1. Post #1
    November 2010
    2,268 Posts
    So basically I've been interested in making shit since I was small, but lack of tools and knowledge always put me off. Then like a year ago I had a workshop introductory course as part of my line of education in swedish equivelant of high school, it was basically learning how to work with metal in a basic sense but it really kicked it off. On a total whim I spent $200 on a Dremel 4000 and a massive kit and since then I've slowly been accumulating knowledge and using it for stuff. It's amazing how something as seemingly simple as cutting a 120mm fan hole in the top of a friends pc case teaches you about using power tools. Anyways, yesterday I got my new set of mini pliers, nothing fancy but it was a great deal with a set of 8 pliers for like $7. I put up a tool board on the wall over my workspace in my room some time back, and now I needed some way to hang my pliers. I spent a few minutes digging through junk I had lying around until an idea hit me and I got to work.

Here's the result:

Basically without any previous experience doing anything like this besides being good at soldering electronics, I soldered M5 nuts onto the hook like things I got with the tool board and ran the longest screws I could find through them, then at the middle I soldered two nuts together to join the screws.

I used a butane torch to solder and regular solder because it was all I had.
    It turned out so much better than I expected, I hung it low so I can reach it easily.

I also made a place to hang my screwdrivers next to it which was three hard drive magnets attached end to end to form a semi circle which I mounted horizontally and I'd attach the tips of the screwdrivers to the magnets so they could easily be pulled down. Sadly it was just way too much weight for the solderings to hold so I'm gonna have to get back with that once I find a better method of attaching it.

Now, the point of this thread is to post similar small stuff you've made that don't really warrant it's own thread. No matter how small, post it! we need more content for this forum.
    I also assume we can use this as a sort of general DIY chat and advice thread, which is what it'll come to anyways in a few pages.
    now go forth and post shit you've made!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    First time spraypainting with layers:

Edited:

Btw it's a Silverfish
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 19Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    Lotsa underspray, how could i fix that.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,196 Posts
    Try and keep the layers aligned as well as you can, tight against the canvas. Thoroughly spray at a 90 degree angle, and make sure your stencils are all cut as clearly defined as you like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    I'm currently repainting a guitar body. Nothing special but I'll throw up some pics when I'm done in a few days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    pics!

How it used to look like with the exception of a sticker

How it looked like yesterday, I'm done now though.

Spraypainting in a few days!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Painting my spare room today. I ordered a treadmill and a multigym - so want to get the room ready for it before it comes! Got to paint the walls, gun the skirting and then paint it - and it will all be ready.

Got some shelves to put up in the shed too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 9Dumb x 3Artistic x 3Zing x 2Late x 2Optimistic x 2Funny x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Friendly x 1Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Spraypainted today, couldn't have gone any worse. Flies got stuck in the paint (not doing it outside again!), it started raining when it was drying outside.

Posting pictures tomorrow when it's assembled
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    I'm done, waiting for some supplies from Thomann... should be here in a week or two.

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Pictures:

One-string edition!

Comparison to a 2003 picture:

Edited:

Also started working on a bass. Posting pictures when it's all done in a few days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    throw an old kramer neck on there and you'd have one of the prettiest strats ever

also 2003 picture the guitar looks massive on that person
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    That's me, 8 years ago.

Edited:

I settled on not replacing too much on it since the pickups are way beyond crap, it's an old guitar owned by a previous alcoholic. I mean, he just spraypainted gold onto the hardware. I had to use a brush to get it off!

13. Post #13
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    how old were you 8 years ago because the guitar is about the size of you

Edited:

I just opened your youtube page and you're still pretty small in that video

14. Post #14
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    8 years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Uh, how is this relevant to the thread anyways?

16. Post #16
    Terrible Mustache Aficionado
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Excuse the crappy photos

Splash guard is going along nicely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Artistic x 5Winner x 3Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Nice, how did you cut the square in the middle of the tile so prefectly?

18. Post #18
    I DON'T KNOW YOU. BUT I <3 YOU. SUCK ME OFF AGAIN PLZ
    July 2008
    1,799 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can use a dremel with a cutwheel for that.
    From what I remember the hard part about cutting and drilling tiles is the hard top layer, once you've cut through that with great care, it's smooth sailing.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    465 Posts
    I find putting tape on the tile before cutting helps, prevents slipping :D

20. Post #20
    August 2009
    2,771 Posts

The blade is made from mild steel, the grip from inner tubes and I'll let you guess what the scabbard is made from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2011
    85 Posts
    Pic of a wall we built for someone.. The pillars seem a little high but the guy who house it is was planning on buying some wooden fencing to go around.

Edited:

I will up some pics of a driveway I recently concreted and maybe some pics of some rather sturdy stud walling I put up this week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    I've recently got into electronics. Building circuit boards and such things. I actually just finished making a radio. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. Might be getting the stuff to make something else. If I do, I'll probably post step by step pictures. Or a video

23. Post #23
    September 2005
    6 Posts
    Working on building a tent at the moment, finding quite difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    My fence blew down so I bought some new fence panels. Bought 6 six foot tall panels. Went out today and cleaned up aroundthe fence only to find that 5 of the panels are only 5 foot high.

So spent the afternoon cutting a foot of 5 fence panels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2010
    10,174 Posts
    Pictures:

*awesome diy guitar pics*

Also started working on a bass. Posting pictures when it's all done in a few days
    You are posting this in the wrong place, stuff like that does deserve its own thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2008
    882 Posts
    So its going to be my brother's birthday very soon and I couldn't think of anything to get him. We're both huge Star Wars fans so I decided to make him a Lightsaber!
    I found a sweet tutorial online to base this off, but its a little bit original.

This is what I have so far. I still need to add a couple greeblies and the control collar with the on/off switch, for the bottom half. It's 100% made from stuff at Lowes.

Once it's completely done I'll try to get a high quality picture with a good camera instead of my shitty camera phone.
    The crappy pictures really don't do it justice, in person it looks quite nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic x 14Friendly x 2Dumb x 2Winner x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,129 Posts
    I got a question, does Animal (ie, Pets and Captured animals, Ie ButterFly's Snakes, etc) go into this section?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,513 Posts
    I got a question, does Animal (ie, Pets and Captured animals, Ie ButterFly's Snakes, etc) go into this section?
    http://www.facepunch.com/forums/388
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 61 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,129 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,492 Posts
    im building a rocket(two actually)
    i've already finished the engine of the solid rocket booster
    working on the engine of the liquid propelled one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2008
    882 Posts
    Alright finished the lightsaber for my brother, here's some thumbnailed pictures:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 59Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    You gotta love swedish summers: not one single weekend has been perfect (ie sunny and no wind) since I wrote I started working on a bass longer up

It's been waiting for its black satin for far too long........
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Terrible Mustache Aficionado
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    Nice, how did you cut the square in the middle of the tile so prefectly?
    Used a dremel with a cutwheel. :V The edges are a bit chipped. It's a messy job.

34. Post #34
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,135 Posts
    I painted some walls and skirting boards for my mum. Does that count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Bass is done! plays like a beast for such a cheap brand. posting pictures in a few minutes

Edited:

excuse the crappy photos, it's my phone to blame

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts

found this on this specific thread, so which one of you mother fuckers is it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2011
    3,068 Posts

What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,606 Posts

Happen to me too! My avast even crashed as well!

39. Post #39
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    it's deggie but it's just pictures of a bass. it's a false positive

40. Post #40
    May 2011
    3,068 Posts
    Quick question, I've got this, and I need some tips on how to do it.

But more importantly, what do I do with it after I've completed it?