1. Post #121
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,961 Posts
    I watered a neighbor's tomato plants for awhile and the key is to let the water soak in there. Do NOT allow the water to touch the leaves or else it will become heavy and possibly break a stem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

2. Post #122
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,471 Posts
    Kinda offtopic, but I'm trying to grow a tomato in a small pot. The pot hold about enough dirt to fill 2 cups. Just wondering how deep I should plant it, growing it, etc. The dirt I'm using is kinda rocky too, but I've been keeping it moist. Also, when it grows out, can I put a metal pipe in the dirt, so the tomato vine grows up?

What I hope it will look like.
    You've got to raise seedlings first.
    Depending on where you are in the US this might be the wrong time. March is better.

You want 1 or two plants so make about 6 seedlings.

As soon as they have the 4th leaf you carefully dig them out and use the strongest two or three and plant them into your pot along with a handful of their grow-up soil. CAREFULLY

For watering: Use a small clay pot, make a hole in the bottom and dig it into the bigger pot, somewhere at the side. Now every time you want to water your tomatoe you just fill up the pot and let the water soak in. That way the soil doesn't get crusty and you don't spill water onto your plant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    I live in a tropical environment,sunny all day, temp at about the mid 80s during the day, but how deep do I bury the seeds? Oh and I started growing them immediately in a pot. Is this bad?

4. Post #124
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts

Made this from the bottom of a jar using a pliers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    Now to rain on your parade but. . . Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,579 Posts
    DIY isnt about why, its about WHY NOT.

What, you never get the urge to make something for sheer hell of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

yeah but sometimes it turns out to be the dumbest thing in history ie second post on page 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,596 Posts
    I'm currently growing romaine lettuce indoors and so far it's going very well. Had a bit of mold breakout but I appear to have gotten it under control.

I also have carnivorous plants which I've been taking care of and some which I've grown from seed.

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    turn this into a fully glass arrow, this being the head

then u will be the king of the glass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    this being the head
    thanks for clearing that up, I thought you meant that arrowhead would be the shaft
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    666 Posts
    I personally make chainmaille jewelery, which is quite awesome in itself, but what really blew me away was a guy at a Medieval faire (spelling?) in Sweden, who hade made a massive tent spike in Damascus Steel, I asked him why he would spend so much effort on such a simple thing and he answered: "Why not?", with a big grin :)

Awesome guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    I personally make chainmaille jewelery, which is quite awesome in itself, but what really blew me away was a guy at a Medieval faire (spelling?) in Sweden, who hade made a massive tent spike in Damascus Steel, I asked him why he would spend so much effort on such a simple thing and he answered: "Why not?", with a big grin :)

Awesome guy.
    "Why not" is the essence of DIY.

Edited:

Also I have a small plug for those of you that live in Arizona:

http://www.heatsynclabs.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,905 Posts

Dim LED lighting for my room so I don't burn my eyes out with a regular light when I go take a shit at night

Lab power supplies, top one is regulated 0-30V, 0~1A, bottom one as shown on the photo, made from an ATX PSU.

Also made an infrared web camera, but I can't be arsed to take pictures of it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,984 Posts

Lab power supplies, top one is regulated 0-30V, 0~1A, bottom one as shown on the photo, made from an ATX PSU.

Also made an infrared web camera, but I can't be arsed to take pictures of it now.
    PSU cases are so handy, I've got a couple of homemade powersupplies like that, mine give +-15 rather than +-12. I'll put up a picture in a moment (they're based off parts found in really old psus to get the 15v).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,471 Posts
    I can't think of things that'd need 5 or 12 V in my home :(

16. Post #136
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I have a ton of things that use 5 and 12 V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    Here's something I've been working on for the past few days.

Just needs to be polished and varnished.

Edited:

Because I can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts

Edited:

Because I can.
    I can understand that but that specific project urks me. It's a glass arrowhead, it's not useful, it's dangerous to store or handle and it isn't much of a conversation piece. To me at least it seems like a glorified piece of broken glass. That being said I'm not trying to insult you or limit your creative thinking, also the knife you make is friggin awesome.

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts

Edited:

Because I can.
    That blade feels dangerous for reasons a blade should not be dangerous.

Like tetanus, for example. It feels far to jagged for a new blade as well, are you grinding it down or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    That blade feels dangerous for reasons a blade should not be dangerous.

Like tetanus, for example. It feels far to jagged for a new blade as well, are you grinding it down or what?
    Yea, that's just a rough edge I did with a grinder. I plan on cleaning it up later.

Edited:

I can understand that but that specific project urks me. It's a glass arrowhead, it's not useful, it's dangerous to store or handle and it isn't much of a conversation piece. To me at least it seems like a glorified piece of broken glass. That being said I'm not trying to insult you or limit your creative thinking, also the knife you make is friggin awesome.
    I saw a video of a guy making one a while back. Then one day I was bored and wanted to see if I could make it myself. The same goes for a lot of my my projects. I understand that its useless and dangerous but calling it a glorified piece of broken glass is like saying a ring is just a glorified piece of gold.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    Yea, that's just a rough edge I did with a grinder. I plan on cleaning it up later.

Edited:

I saw a video of a guy making one a while back. Then one day I was bored and wanted to see if I could make it myself. The same goes for a lot of my my projects. I understand that its useless and dangerous but calling it a glorified piece of broken glass is like saying a ring is just a glorified piece of gold.
    Actually, I think if you molded glass arrowheads in this shape it would be pretty awesome:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    but then it's a spear head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    November 2010
    2,263 Posts
    So a while back I needed to buy my own drill set since dad was getting annoyed at me borrowing his all the time and being an idiot I basically picked the cheapest set I could find.
    Unsurprising now they're all incredibly dull and I've broken 1/3 of them (most of which shattered dramatically). Can someone with a bit of mechanical experience give me some purchase advice on drill bits?

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,575 Posts
    but then it's a spear head
    Pretty sure what he posted is actually a Bodkin Arrowhead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,011 Posts
    So a while back I needed to buy my own drill set since dad was getting annoyed at me borrowing his all the time and being an idiot I basically picked the cheapest set I could find.
    Unsurprising now they're all incredibly dull and I've broken 1/3 of them (most of which shattered dramatically). Can someone with a bit of mechanical experience give me some purchase advice on drill bits?

Dormer! eller så slipa om dom. Men akta dig för billiga titanbelagda borrar. När det tunna lagret med titan är borta så kan du i princip slänga dom (billigt skitstål under)

Translated for good mesure .

"Dormer! or regrind them. But beware of cheap titanium coated drills. When the thin layer of titanium is gone you can basically throw them away (cheap crap steel under)"

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,199 Posts
    I've had that happen too, and the man speaks truth about that shitty titanium coating. Once it's gone kiss the bit goodbye. I do loads of metalworking, so it happens to me a lot

27. Post #147
    August 2007
    695 Posts
    Real men slit and drift holes. Only place to find square holes is a blacksmith shop!

I've been looking over homebuilt aircraft for the last year or so and I think I may actually produce one.
    Well I found a set of plans, scaled them down 1/8th and bought 3 dollars of dowels just to see what the plans will look like.

Will post as I go along.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #148
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Real men slit and drift holes. Only place to find square holes is a blacksmith shop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    August 2007
    695 Posts
    Squares do not have round corners
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,620 Posts
    Square holes are best done on a drill press with one of those bits that has the sharp square casing around it.

Edited:

A mortising bit

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,001 Posts
    Has anyone here tried building a PVC pipe instrument?

I recently got interested in them again and now I'm looking into building one of my own.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,011 Posts
    Has anyone here tried building a PVC pipe instrument?

I recently got interested in them again and now I'm looking into building one of my own.
    Here you go :)

http://devices.natetrue.com/pvc/pvc.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    693 Posts
    Couple of little ghetto quick-fab electronics projects I've done in the past.

Quickly got a honda ecu up and running on the bench one night.

Little double stack, single sided, perfboard, 20 output, multiplexer/microcontroller board.

Bought a red ring 360 for like 40 bucks and wanted to cut it up some, so I fixed the red ring issue, added a plexi window and modded the dvd drive. later I had a friend do some artwork on the plexi that I cant find any pictures of.

I also have a few home made bench top hobby power supply units fabbed from ATX PC units. My most recent I went a bit overboard on and added leds and plexi windows. It's a bit 'tacky' I know

And this insane thing, 512 leds in a 8x8x8 cube controlled independently with only 72 inputs. It wound up being knocked down off high places a few times to the point I rather start over than continue to repair it.

A quick and simple switched remote outlet for a 120 socket, however the neutral wire is looped on the outside of the case so I can clamp a multimeter around it and measure current on the line.

A tool I made to hold the crank in a D-series engine while inserting pistons/rods and attaching rod caps/bolts. Simple and so effective.

All of those are just some little things I already had laying around on photobucket
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

34. Post #154
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts

I've been trying to make a musket for the last few days. Its going pretty well. I might do a thread on it if it works out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,011 Posts

I've been trying to make a musket for the last few days. Its going pretty well. I might do a thread on it if it works out.

Dude! never fire that thing! it looks like it would kill you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts
    lol that's just a stick with a pipe on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 17Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    Dude! never fire that thing! it looks like it would kill you!
    No fear of that, I've tried firing it 3 times with 3 different explosives and it failed every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

38. Post #158
    nox
    March 2007
    2,209 Posts
    Whittled a Colt Navy six gun out of poplar and pinewood, not finished though.

Edited:

Kinda reminds me of one of the homemade muskets from Mount and Blade: F&S.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

39. Post #159
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,828 Posts
    Just a few things I did:

An Arduino based interface circuit for my car (Citroen Xsara Picasso HDi), so I can control my new sony head unit with the existing wheel mounted controls:

Yeah it's not the prettiest circuit but it works great.

Some sound absorbing panels for my home studio, starting with the first reflection points:

And I restored an analogue synth-drum pad to working condition:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,253 Posts

i draw up plans and literally move everything in my room around at least once a year because of this feeling

it's gone through so many shit iterations i should post some of the awful configurations i've had before