1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,804 Posts

The belt isn't tight enough, but most likely gonna change it to a chain instead, would work much better.
    That's pretty neat, what is that motor off of? Or did you buy it from somewhere?

Here is a minibike I'm currently making during the last week of my shop class:

The motor I'm using is either off of an old snow blower or rototiller, I'm not sure because its been in my back shed for years and my dad just said I could take it.
    And yes, it is currently taped together. That's just so I can see what I still need to adjust to have it all line up properly. (Quite a bit since I just started bending it all today.)

Edited:

Since I'm at the top of the page I might as well drop some bad cellphone pictures of the finished traffic light I posted earlier:

I replaced the bulky switch box by installing small toggle switches on the side of each light:

I also made a simple adjustable mount for the deck light sensor:

2. Post #202
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,069 Posts
    It's a chainsaw motor, my friend lent me the kickbike and the engine for me to fix, which I did.

I want to make a minibike as well, I've got motors laying around that I could use. Problem would be making the frame, since I don't have any tools to bend pipes.

3. Post #203
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Use your hands wimp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #204
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,069 Posts
    That would be too inaccurate

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,578 Posts
    That would be too inaccurate
    Do you have a blowtorch?

6. Post #206
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,069 Posts
    Do you have a blowtorch?
    Of course I do. But heating and bending is still more inaccurate than using a tool made for it.

7. Post #207
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'd weld it personally. precision is easy and the tools are cheaper and more useful

8. Post #208
    August 2009
    950 Posts
    crank up the oven and bake it out
    Bad bad bad idea! My whole house started smelling like a gas leak and I got nauseous.

For reference, the question is: How should I SAFELY remove paint thinner from a wooden eating utensil while spending the least cash.

Edited:

Finally took it out of the oven. Doesn't smell like paint thinner anymore.

9. Post #209
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    Bad bad bad idea! My whole house started smelling like a gas leak and I got nauseous.

For reference, the question is: How should I SAFELY remove paint thinner from a wooden eating utensil while spending the least cash.

Edited:

Finally took it out of the oven. Doesn't smell like paint thinner anymore.
    of course it's not gonna smell good, it's like baking a pie but with industrial solvent. It shouldn't smell anything like a gas leak either, so you've either got an actual gas leak or you think crank the oven means turn it all the way up instead of a safe temperature

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,804 Posts
    It's a chainsaw motor, my friend lent me the kickbike and the engine for me to fix, which I did.

I want to make a minibike as well, I've got motors laying around that I could use. Problem would be making the frame, since I don't have any tools to bend pipes.
    How fast can you get it to go?

You could get around bending the frame by welding it together out of a few parts.

Do you guys think that the handlebar stem and fork of a bicycle will be strong enough to support the rest of the mini bike? (pretty much this part of a bike)
    I'd still have to make it fit the tire I have and cut it to length but I'm not sure if it would be able to handle the weight and force that would be against it.

11. Post #211
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,069 Posts
    How fast can you get it to go?

You could get around bending the frame by welding it together out of a few parts.

Do you guys think that the handlebar stem and fork of a bicycle will be strong enough to support the rest of the mini bike? (pretty much this part of a bike)
    I'd still have to make it fit the tire I have and cut it to length but I'm not sure if it would be able to handle the weight and force that would be against it.
    The minibike? Around 70-80km/h. The chainsaw driven kickbike? 10-15km/h if I'm lucky, I just gotta change it to chain drive.

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,753 Posts
    Start of a quick and ugly Banded Lammelar vest I'm making.

Combined thickness of about 1/4" of steel, thing is going to be like 20-30 pounds when it's done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,575 Posts
    Start of a quick and ugly Banded Lammelar vest I'm making.

Combined thickness of about 1/4" of steel, thing is going to be like 20-30 pounds when it's done
    Those plates look a little big for it.

Also just a keychain i made for myself out of chainmail, really small project

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,753 Posts
    They are actually quite small, it's just a very closeup shot. Made them smaller than the popular size to accomodate the exta thickness

15. Post #215
    March 2012
    385 Posts
    I make Arcade Sticks out of shoeboxes. Tutorial here - http://www.facepunch.com/showthread....9#post36492219

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts

When you do eventually find a way to do it make sure to fill the tubes with sand, it will keep the pipes from deforming during tight bends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

17. Post #217
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    I redesigned my machete to be slightly less shit.

I also attempted to make a glass knife.

It didnt go very well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

18. Post #218
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,527 Posts
    I think I'm gonna try DIYing a synth with my dad.

19. Post #219
    nox
    March 2007
    2,209 Posts
    My two half-finished whittlings, the generic no-name percussion rifle and the Colt 1851 Navy.

Still learning obviously. Both lack triggers because I'm not savvy enough to try making a working trigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #220
    August 2007
    695 Posts
    My two half-finished whittlings, the generic no-name percussion rifle and the Colt 1851 Navy.

Still learning obviously. Both lack triggers because I'm not savvy enough to try making a working trigger.
    That is so fucking neat, I think I need to make a wooden rifle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    nox
    March 2007
    2,209 Posts
    Thanks! Whittling is quite fun, I would highly recommend it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,753 Posts
    Making myself an early medieval-ish crossbow

The stock is alder, and the prod is (laminated) hickory backed and osage orange belly.

Edited:

WIP obviously, it'll look a lot nicer when it's finished. Just making a simple "peg and lever" firing mechanism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

23. Post #223
    nox
    March 2007
    2,209 Posts
    Very nice, how many pounds is the draw weight?

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,753 Posts
    No definitive idea really. It feels like it weighs about as much as me, so probably 180-ish, give or take.

Edited:

Almost done. Just gotta put a few more coats of oil on the stock and prod, and create the "firing" lever

Also need to make some bolt-heads and (more) quarrels.

25. Post #225
    June 2007
    964 Posts
    At my workplace, we got these old school workbenches. Once everything's died down, I'm planing to revive the tops. Would any of you recommend the best way to provide a nice finish on them?
    My initial plan was to scrape off the glue and remove nails then orbital/+ beltsand the tables down with 80Grit.

As for finishing I have French white polish, various beeswaxes and B&Q quickdry varnish at my disposal.

26. Post #226
    August 2007
    695 Posts

Forged a draw knife this morning. Eventually I will put the final edge on and bend the handles down.

I'm not the best woodworker so we will see if wood handles come about for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #227
    June 2008
    881 Posts
    So I want to make this wooden storage box for a rifle, I've designed the whole thing in google sketchup but there are some problems.

First off the bottom and lid piece are supposed to be 1/4in thick by 1ft by 51 inches... a size that I can't find anywhere. I can get the 1/4in by 1ft but everything's only 4ft long.

Also the sides of the box are supposed to be 1/2in thick by 3in, by 1ft long on the short side, and 51 inches on the long side (they'll be interlocked with box joints). I'm only finding wood that's 1in by 3in by 8ft, can I get this cut down to 1/2 inch thick?

I'm trying to mimic soviet surplus ammo boxes with the design which have some sort of particle board lid and bottom and I believe the rest is made of pine.

What do I do?

Here's my design in sketchup:
    http://imgur.com/a/9vRz3#4

28. Post #228
    June 2007
    964 Posts
    So I want to make this wooden storage box for a rifle, I've designed the whole thing in google sketchup but there are some problems.

First off the bottom and lid piece are supposed to be 1/4in thick by 1ft by 51 inches... a size that I can't find anywhere. I can get the 1/4in by 1ft but everything's only 4ft long.

Also the sides of the box are supposed to be 1/2in thick by 3in, by 1ft long on the short side, and 51 inches on the long side (they'll be interlocked with box joints). I'm only finding wood that's 1in by 3in by 8ft, can I get this cut down to 1/2 inch thick?

I'm trying to mimic soviet surplus ammo boxes with the design which have some sort of particle board lid and bottom and I believe the rest is made of pine.

What do I do?

Here's my design in sketchup:
    http://imgur.com/a/9vRz3#4
    What country are you from? America? England? If you're from England I know a few goods suppliers.
    As for construction, me personally (although people always have different ways of constructing things) If you are unable to find a whole width of timber you can either use 12/18mm plywood or if you want authenticity, you'd probably have to either half-lap or biscuit join the strips of wood together. Biscuit joining involves cutting a groove parallel in both sides, and inserting the 'biscuit' and gluing them together. Secure the two bits with sash clamps and put a heavy weight on it to stop it from buckling.

As for building the sides of the box I'd recommend finger jointing the sides together. You can also go with the peg and dowel method of drilling a rebate then gluing and inserting a dowel to join the two parts.

As for the handles, you can always whack in a few hefty nails or peg and dowel the wood handles on the side of the box afterwards.
    Leave the box outside for a few weeks in dirt for some added Russian authenticity!

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,581 Posts
    I'll post pictures later, but when I was setting my new desk up (had to fit across the room, the length of the desk is a foot short of the longest available wall in my room, it blocks my closet almost :|) my monitor wall mount wouldn't work because where I wanted my monitor was right in the middle of two studs. So, for the hell of it, I took a piece of laminate flooring that was left over from my floor, made it long enough to span 2 studs, cut the lips off of it, screwed it into the wall, then screwed the mount into that. It works! :D

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,447 Posts
    I'm planning on making two desks from pine and finishing it with tung oil.
    Anything I should know about before starting ?

I'm using 100x47mm timber for the top and two pieces 89x38mm for each leg.

31. Post #231
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,019 Posts
    So basically, I want to make a metal box for as cheap as possible.

So like, tin or sheet metal or whatever's cheap. Just a box, doesn't even need a lid just an empty metal cube. No welding, probably just rivets and what not. Anyone know where I can order materials online for that and a site that can give me tips to easily bend the metal into shape?

Edited:

I want to make the Time Machine from Napoleon Dynamite. Not an exact replica, but close enough and I don't know what to use for the base box-thing. I've never made a thing in my life.

32. Post #232
    November 2010
    2,263 Posts
    So basically, I want to make a metal box for as cheap as possible.

So like, tin or sheet metal or whatever's cheap. Just a box, doesn't even need a lid just an empty metal cube. No welding, probably just rivets and what not. Anyone know where I can order materials online for that and a site that can give me tips to easily bend the metal into shape?

Edited:

I want to make the Time Machine from Napoleon Dynamite. Not an exact replica, but close enough and I don't know what to use for the base box-thing. I've never made a thing in my life.
    Not really helping you directly but I noticed your last sentence and thought I might pass on some knowledge from Adam Savage. Don't expect your first attempt to be perfect, it never is. Making things like this usually takes several iterations to get it right. Adam savage is a maker and he loves making movie props. Whenever he talks about it whether it be at Makerfaire or in interviews it's always apparent that whatever he makes he goes through half a dozen versions before he gets to the point where he feels satisfied and proud of the result.
    Since you lack experience your first attempt is probably gonna be terrible, but making the things you can't not make is what making is all about and I bid you keep trying even after your eventual failed first attempt.
    You should check out some of Adam Savage's talks he does at places like Makerfaire and defcon, they're amazingly inspirational.

Also I just realized that metal box looks a lot like an electrical junction box. Try different hardware stores until you find one that matches in size and appearance. Also the one in the picture is more than likely spray-painted matte gray so don't expect to find one exactly like it.

33. Post #233
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,019 Posts
    I did some searching and found a prop maker forum, you're right it's a 6x6x4 Junction box. I have a parts list and I'm going to Home Depot after work to grab the stuff to make the Modulus.

The finish on the modulus is like, matte gray with a hammered-metal finish on ONLY the front panel. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    Made a little blackboard thing for my fruit juice stall during a bazaar.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #235
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,019 Posts
    This is what I've got. Not the exact Junction box but close enough and I chose to use a big, old fashioned looking switch rather than the slide-switch in the movie. I have a christmas light for the bulb but I ordered a LED along with the knob, digit counter and crystals. Those will come in the mail and I can finish it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #236
    August 2011
    2,296 Posts
    I made a bookshelf from a board and three brackets. I've never done DIY myself and I'm fairly proud. I also just finished installing a banister on the basement stairway.

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    666 Posts
    Made a feather/fletching burner for my arrows today.

Works pretty well, here's the finished arrow:

Currently making plans for a simple fletching jig for glueing/taping on the feathers/vanes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #238
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,069 Posts

The radio can use either 240v (from the wall) or 12v, the 12v is supposed to come from some batteries you put in a slot, I didn't have any so I just soldered on some wires to the poles.

I did this because I want to be able to listen to music while I ride around with my tractor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,620 Posts
    Not a post where I've made anything, but Diego (the Bukobot guy) posted an update today showing his updated design, so I'm totally stoked and don't mind the possible extra couple of weeks wait because the overall product will be pimp as fuck.
    Oh also once I do finally get it you'll probably see a bunch of stuffs here as I just experiment with random stuff.

Does anyone else here have a 3d printer of any sort? Anything I should know before I start making stuff? Recommendations? Suggestions? Requests?

Edited:

The update I'm talking about: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/273576

40. Post #240
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,961 Posts
    i have fixed my toilet at least 6 times this week, and it's only wednesday

first the plunger in the back tank would disconnect from the lever, so the arm would pull up on the lever but the plunger wasn't going anywhere, leading to no flush. eventually just replaced the whole plunger/lever assembly. somehow the chain is unraveling itself now and I keep having to rehook the chain onto the arm.

it's really fucking annoying too since the new plunger doesn't weigh as much and doesn't always seal, leading to a really disappointing, low-pressure shower. I just replaced the showerhead too since the old one is nasty.

i guess home plumbing is DIY so whatever