1. Post #241
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,973 Posts
    Not a post where I've made anything, but Diego (the Bukobot guy) posted an update today showing his updated design, so I'm totally stoked and don't mind the possible extra couple of weeks wait because the overall product will be pimp as fuck.
    Oh also once I do finally get it you'll probably see a bunch of stuffs here as I just experiment with random stuff.

Does anyone else here have a 3d printer of any sort? Anything I should know before I start making stuff? Recommendations? Suggestions? Requests?

Edited:

The update I'm talking about: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d/posts/273576
    I personally don't, but my dad threw one together fairly quickly and easily (that said he has 45 years of electro-mechanical engineering...)

From what I remember he bought one of those kits that contain 3d printed frame parts and it uses an arduino mega connected to a pc. Everything he used is open source.
    Also he recommends using fans to cool the workpiece and a small PTFE shield to insulate the heating element from the fans.

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,616 Posts
    From what I've seen of the bukobot, it's already got the cooling side of things covered so I should be ok in that department. I'm just so eager to get it and start making stuff.
    I've had plans to turn an old RC monster truck into a tank for ages and I can't wait to get that plan into action.
    There's also just a tonne of pointless things I want to make with crazy amounts of gears that do absolutely nothing just because aimless gear sculptures look pretty cool.

Edited:

I guess once I actually get things going, I'll make a proper 3d printing megathread (that'll most likely not be too mega)

3. Post #243
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,817 Posts
    I made a "ghetto" guitar capo

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #244
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,867 Posts

That's actually pretty damn clever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

5. Post #245
    Herpetologist
    June 2010
    5,139 Posts
    Put in a new medium sized turtle pond, its ~4 ft deep at the deepest point, but other than the main pool it is only between 1-2 ft deep. I dug it out and filled it a while back, native fish species were transplanted and a variety of other wildlife showed up naturally. I let it sit for a few weeks to stabilize and become more natural before adding the sides and introducing the turtles. It houses red-eared sliders, eastern painted, and common snapping turtles. The bottom is a sand/mud substrate. Driftwood and rocks make up the majority of the water features for the turtles to hide in. Now all I have to do is put in my secondary pump and some minor landscaping and it is done.

This board does not look good but the turtles love it so it will stay until I find a better alternative
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #246
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts

The radio can use either 240v (from the wall) or 12v, the 12v is supposed to come from some batteries you put in a slot, I didn't have any so I just soldered on some wires to the poles.

I did this because I want to be able to listen to music while I ride around with my tractor.
    Super-manly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #247
    Pretty soon I'm going to have a a lot of 1/2 inch thick 4 inch wide timber(sorry I don't know the exact dimensions since this will be recycled from a house) and I don't know what to do with it.

Did plan to build a boat without power tools but my experience in woodwork is just a couple of shelves, a chest and a sign.

Well I still have a month to decide so give me some suggestions guys.

8. Post #248
    Uh, I made a simple iPod dock but you'll probably laugh at it

It's a box coated with brown paper, can't tell if it looks chic if crap, but it does the job more than adequately

terrible photo but it's the only one I have, I filed down the stock iPod dock adapter for my iPod and then glued the cable in, cut out the shapes in a thick box, coated it with paper, stuck the dock in and yeah

It does what I want it to do, easily dock and undock my iPod while making it look nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Winner Winner x 13Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,867 Posts
    That looks great, I want one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #250
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,973 Posts
    Uh, I made a simple iPod dock but you'll probably laugh at it

It's a box coated with brown paper, can't tell if it looks chic if crap, but it does the job more than adequately

terrible photo but it's the only one I have, I filed down the stock iPod dock adapter for my iPod and then glued the cable in, cut out the shapes in a thick box, coated it with paper, stuck the dock in and yeah

It does what I want it to do, easily dock and undock my iPod while making it look nice
    This could so easily have looked awful and amateurish, but the neat wrapping and simple style actually look rather good.

Edited:

Pretty soon I'm going to have a a lot of 1/2 inch thick 4 inch wide timber(sorry I don't know the exact dimensions since this will be recycled from a house) and I don't know what to do with it.

Did plan to build a boat without power tools but my experience in woodwork is just a couple of shelves, a chest and a sign.

Well I still have a month to decide so give me some suggestions guys.
    Without power tools, woodwork on that scale will be an epic undertaking. You could always make a nice coffee table or stool or similar for your house, pretty easy to do with a saw, a tape measure, files, varnish, sand paper woodglue and a lot of patience. Maybe some clamps and a worksurface too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #251
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

I tried that once but it just did a lot of buzzing since my guitars all have a small radius
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #252
    I feel better about the dock now, thanks guys VV
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

13. Post #253
    Forgot to add, you see those deep grazes on the side of the iPod classic in my dock?

Yeah, those are from falling off my schlongboard (summer project) at 25 mph being towed behind a moped

And the finished product..

No amazing handywork here, infact it looks about as amateur and ugly as it gets but it rides smooth, and is useful for getting down the shops
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #254
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    I made a shlongboard around august of last year,so a year hahaha

But now i make my own decks with my mdf press

The results

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Winner Winner x 16Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #255
    Well, now I feel completely inferior

I like the FUCK griptape though

Edited:

Do they have a lot of flex in them? they look rather thick and stiff

16. Post #256
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    Well, now I feel completely inferiorI like the FUCK griptape thoughEdited:Do they have a lot of flex in them? they look rather thick and stiff
    Thanks dude. My mother hates it so is my main board as of now haha.But not alot of flex due to the concave and slight camber. So more agressive the geography( concave and camber or rocker) the less it will flex. It has only taken me 8 months to get to this point. Only because i really took my time and studied and read everything on silverfishlongboarding.comThey have a builders forum i suggest you check it out. The most beautiful boards i have ever seen in my life.

17. Post #257
    Thanks dude. My mother hates it so is my main board as of now haha.But not alot of flex due to the concave and slight camber. So more agressive the geography( concave and camber or rocker) the less it will flex. It has only taken me 8 months to get to this point. Only because i really took my time and studied and read everything on silverfishlongboarding.comThey have a builders forum i suggest you check it out. The most beautiful boards i have ever seen in my life.
    There is something about the word FUCK in all capitals that just looks so brilliant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #258
    November 2009
    9,287 Posts
    Do you guys know anything about building furniture (frames, upholstery, that sort of thing) from scratch? I want a new sofa, lumber and fabric are cheap, and nobody sells anything that matches my design.

The only problem is I don't exactly have a workshop, but living in the South, most of my relatives do, so I can probably build the thing in pieces and bolt it together here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #259
    So I decided to scrap the idea of building a boat and suddenly the wood pile in my front yard just got more wood! Not only I now have 4 inch wide pieces of planks but a few meters 4x4 wood. Of course they all have been used so I might need to cut of about 3 inches from each end to get usable material.

So now I've decided to get a few simpler ideas,

A minecraft inspired tool storage and if possible work table.
    A bow and arrow and crossbow if possible.
    A ping-pong table and a ping-pong bat if possible.

Currently I am more to the bow and arrow thing because I am going to carve a few designs on it and I'd love to get better at wood carving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #260
    Maxime Lebled
    December 2010
    12,862 Posts

Here's my Black Mage Cosplay costume. It's the right thread, is it not?
    Well, the costume isn't exactly made by me, mom, helped a lot.
    But the staff and LED wiring are made solely by me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

21. Post #261
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    Haha dude thats dank as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #262
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    Made a replacement for my tripods quick-changer shoe, tomorrow I'll get the necessary screw in a shop and of course a picture.

23. Post #263
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    Made a really quick and dirty adapter for my tripod since I left the original @home and am now with my parents for a few weeks:

Edited:

Getting the damn screw was the most difficult part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #264
    May 2009
    453 Posts
    I made a shlongboard around august of last year,so a year hahaha

But now i make my own decks with my mdf press

The results

did you make your own press?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Nyan~:3
    December 2009
    5,794 Posts
    On the topic of boards, I just painted my board in a Purple/pink/black camo pattern.

26. Post #266
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    did you make your own press?
    Yeah ill post a video on how i made it because I hate decribing it by writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,329 Posts
    I am applying for an engineering apprenticeship with an Airline in the UK but they ask for me to bring evidence of my own work (DIY ect) to show that I have some sort of interest in construction and engineering.

My huge issue:
    The only things I have ever built (many thanks to Facepunch) have been ghetto weaponry.
    In the past I have built a working portable flamethrower (I just wanted to see if I could do it, had to take it apart as I needed the pressure washer to clean the patio), a really god awful looking crossbow, a potato bazooka, a battery gun, smoke grenades and numerous different knives.

The only non lethal thing I ever made was Fiddle Hero, where I shortened a guitar hero controller by about 8 inches then made it possible to strum using a bow:
    Old photo, ignore the long beard and nose piercing, they're gone now.

I don't want to walk in and be like "Hey I have never built anything ever, no sir" but I also don't want to wonder in and present a long list of most likely illegal contraptions and come across as some creative but dangerous psychopath, especially as I'll be working in a fuckin' airport.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #268
    November 2009
    9,287 Posts
    I am applying for an engineering apprenticeship with an Airline in the UK but they ask for me to bring evidence of my own work (DIY ect) to show that I have some sort of interest in construction and engineering.

My huge issue:
    The only things I have ever built (many thanks to Facepunch) have been ghetto weaponry.
    In the past I have built a working portable flamethrower (I just wanted to see if I could do it, had to take it apart as I needed the pressure washer to clean the patio), a really god awful looking crossbow, a potato bazooka, a battery gun, smoke grenades and numerous different knives.

The only non lethal thing I ever made was Fiddle Hero, where I shortened a guitar hero controller by about 8 inches then made it possible to strum using a bow:
    Old photo, ignore the long beard and nose piercing, they're gone now.

I don't want to walk in and be like "Hey I have never built anything ever, no sir" but I also don't want to wonder in and present a long list of most likely illegal contraptions and come across as some creative but dangerous psychopath, especially as I'll be working in a fuckin' airport.
    Hm... Embellish it! Say you're an engineering hobbyist with a penchant for invention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,195 Posts
    Say it was all contract work for friends and family.

30. Post #270
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,697 Posts
    Currently making a potato cannon, which is fun. Couldn't get a screw-off endcap for my chamber, so after a day or two of mulling over my problem, I drilled a hole below the barrel just big enough to fit a sawn-off screw cap from a coke bottle. So simple, yet so effective.

I love it when solutions just pop into your head like that.

31. Post #271
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    I built my microphone

Then my dog ate the base

Fuck yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 7Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

32. Post #272
    After a few week of excitement having wood for me to use in my front yard.
    Some engineer thought it would be cool to take it all.

Well, I'll get another batch next month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

33. Post #273
    November 2009
    9,287 Posts
    I built my microphone

Then my dog ate the base

Fuck yes
    Nice horribly mutated toes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    Nice horribly mutated toes.
    He needs to fix that with his amazing DIY skills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,322 Posts
    Today I fixed a broken window AC unit that fell out of my office window. There was no damage done to the interior freon system but the fall yanked the power cable out of the circuit board and damaged a few relays and a capacitor, I ordered the hard to find parts direct from china, and after 15 minutes of re soldering the AC works like new again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

36. Post #276
    June 2012
    602 Posts
    Two things:

1. Twin motor RC Plane made of DOLLAR TREE FOAM

2. Laptop cooler thingy made of wood and fans

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #277
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    I like the coin for seize comparison.

"YEA" IT'S THAT SMALL!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

38. Post #278
    July 2009
    1,016 Posts
    To the men who have made schlongboards in the past, how do they ride? Are they worth purchasing a skate deck to experiment with?

39. Post #279
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    To the men who have made schlongboards in the past, how do they ride? Are they worth purchasing a skate deck to experiment with?
    they're worth converting an old beater board but you're better off building a proper longboard if you don't already have a deck.

40. Post #280
    July 2009
    1,016 Posts
    Yeah I have a deck but I'm getting tired of the way it rides, its short and really tall and I'm growing fonder of slow carving then the quick, jerky motions on this one