1. Post #361
    November 2009
    9,277 Posts
    Its really decent actually, only problem is that I pick up ESPN radio in the background.

Its also a bit on the quiet side, not sure how/if I can make it louder.
    I'm sorry, did you say you built a headset that picks up radio frequencies?

Are you mad?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,027 Posts

Are you mad?
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4162888/Sounds/yes.mp3
    Prolly doesn't help that the frame for the piece is a metal clothes hanger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

3. Post #363
    December 2010
    352 Posts
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4162888/Sounds/yes.mp3
    Prolly doesn't help that the frame for the piece is a metal clothes hanger.
    Make compact radio headset
    Switchable stations
    Make millions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #364
    November 2009
    9,277 Posts
    Switchable stations
    Make millions.
    I feel like "Invent time machine and travel back to the 80s" needs to be in there somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,972 Posts

Are you mad?
    It's significantly easier to accidentally build an RF antenna than you think!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #366
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts
    Switchable stations
    Make millions.
    Hey bro, FUCK YOUR AVATAR!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #367
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    It's walnut, my personal favorite native wood. Just wait until I've got pictures of it finished with the tung oil finish. It's astoundingly beautiful.''

I made my mum a cutting board out a piece of it a few years ago, I'll see if I can grab a picture to show how it looks when finished usually. (cutting board was finished with mineral oil though, but I handpicked the slab of wood to be used and cut it from the log)

I LOVE cherry wood

8. Post #368
    December 2010
    352 Posts
    Hey bro, FUCK YOUR AVATAR!
    no

9. Post #369
    August 2007
    695 Posts
    It's significantly easier to accidentally build an RF antenna than you think!
    I leave my car next to the invisible dog fence at home, now my dog is afraid of my car.
    :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    477 Posts
    Its really decent actually, only problem is that I pick up ESPN radio in the background.

Its also a bit on the quiet side, not sure how/if I can make it louder.
    Your mic(s) are probably outputting around 20mvpp. You can make them louder by pushing them each through small, single stage amplifiers. These will boost the voltage via USB power. You don't need to boost current as the computer will take care of that. If you boost the vIN from your mic(s) to even like 200mvpp, that'll make it a lot louder. Look online on how to set up the correct bias for the transistors. You'll preferably need two NPN type transistors which you can honestly find in pretty much anything.

Also, if you want to filter out RF look up online on how to build a low-pass filter. It'll literally only be a couple of passive components, one of which you can hand make yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,027 Posts
    Your mic(s) are probably outputting around 20mvpp. You can make them louder by pushing them each through small, single stage amplifiers. These will boost the voltage via USB power. You don't need to boost current as the computer will take care of that. If you boost the vIN from your mic(s) to even like 200mvpp, that'll make it a lot louder. Look online on how to set up the correct bias for the transistors. You'll preferably need two NPN type transistors which you can honestly find in pretty much anything.

Also, if you want to filter out RF look up online on how to build a low-pass filter. It'll literally only be a couple of passive components, one of which you can hand make yourself.
    Volume actually turned out to be fine, just had to uninstall some realtek drivers.

Also sorted the radio problem like this:

Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely look into that stuff if I ever mess with more mics.

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,795 Posts
    Here's a guided rocket that I'm working on, probably doesn't deserve a thread.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #373
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    I built a big ass fuckin' desk out of a shitty old one. Cost 35 in total (the big slab of wood)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful x 3Agree x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    April 2009
    1,326 Posts
    Built some decorative shelves for my wife's Rockstar can collection under the TV in our room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,616 Posts
    I love the whole art deco style you make stuff with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

16. Post #376
    April 2009
    1,326 Posts
    I love the whole art deco style you make stuff with.
    Deco and functionalism, my two favorite forms of architecture. It's a cool style i think, and it's making a really inclined comeback.

17. Post #377
    November 2009
    9,277 Posts
    Deco and functionalism, my two favorite forms of architecture. It's a cool style i think, and it's making a really inclined comeback.
    I prefer mixtures of Art Deco and Modernism... They work together really well if done correctly... I think Deus Ex: HR did a great job of blending the two.

18. Post #378
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    I am not so fond of a can collection though.

19. Post #379
    November 2009
    9,277 Posts
    I am not so fond of a can collection though.
    Nor am I... It reminds me of something a redneck would do. Not that your wife is a redneck, sir, but knowing many rednecks myself, they all have can collections. Typically beer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    April 2009
    1,326 Posts
    Nor am I... It reminds me of something a redneck would do. Not that your wife is a redneck, sir, but knowing many rednecks myself, they all have can collections. Typically beer.
    I see what you're saying. She collects them because she thinks they look cool. It's also all the different flavors they offer, not just a stack of the same budwieser can over and over. I think she has like 16 now and thats the end of it. They didnt make any more.

Also as far as modernism, It is cool, but I must say, that Frank Lloyd Wright is one of my favorite architects of all time. He popularized the whole box and line style, like the Kauffman house:

It all feels like a "home of the future vibe" which was really popular during the 30's, and right after WWII. So they really fit together well.

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,179 Posts
    Hey guys, quick question:

What do you call plans for making clothes? Like, the layouts?

22. Post #382
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,972 Posts
    Hey guys, quick question:

What do you call plans for making clothes? Like, the layouts?
    Patterns?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,319 Posts
    Patterns?
    Wrong, Fabric Schematics or Fab-ske's for short as they call them in the clothes building community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,972 Posts
    Wrong, Fabric Schematics or Fab-ske's for short as they call them in the clothes building community.
    Just a pattern when you're knitting or sewing then?

25. Post #385
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    the british always ruin the party
    Yeah! The TEA PARTY HUEUHE

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,541 Posts
    Patterns are an equally valid term, pretty much all the friends i have who are involved in sewing, dressmaking etc etc call them patterns. Fabric Schematic is pretty much using big words to make it sound more technical.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,179 Posts
    Unfortunately I can't find the design that I want anyways, but thanks guys

28. Post #388
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    I have a big ass Flowmax fan lying around, it's worth about $50 alone. I'm thinking about making a small box for my laptop (probably out of wood) that I can sit on my desk and plug in when I'm at home that will utilize external speakers (because lord it needs it) and the fan for cooling. I'll probably implement a USB keyboard that extends outwards that will allow me to actually type, assuming this thing will be pretty large. Check out the fan though:

I'm wondering what material to put on the portion that the laptop actually sits on. Also, would it be better to use the fan for intake or an exhaust? Or does it need both?

Any tips appreciated
    You can use a rheostat (light dimmer switch) in series with the fan to reduce the speed of the fan. Most single phase AC motors are tolerant of voltage reduction (I have several industrial blowers with rheostats on them and they work fine.)

There is a limit to how low you can drop the voltage though before the motor stops working, and it's bad berries for some types of fans/blowers that rely on intake/exhaust flow to cool the motor. The amount of heat generated by the motor drops nearly linearly with the voltage, so as long as some airflow is moving past the motor, it should be fine.

Though it would make your project much smaller if you just used some 60mm DC fans with possibly a thermistor to control the speed of the fans (or again use a rheostat or volt mod them to 7.5v.)

29. Post #389
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    You can use a rheostat (light dimmer switch) in series with the fan to reduce the speed of the fan. Most single phase AC motors are tolerant of voltage reduction (I have several industrial blowers with rheostats on them and they work fine.)

There is a limit to how low you can drop the voltage though before the motor stops working, and it's bad berries for some types of fans/blowers that rely on intake/exhaust flow to cool the motor. The amount of heat generated by the motor drops nearly linearly with the voltage, so as long as some airflow is moving past the motor, it should be fine.

Though it would make your project much smaller if you just used some 60mm DC fans with possibly a thermistor to control the speed of the fans (or again use a rheostat or volt mod them to 7.5v.)
    you'll save energy and improve fan life with a pulse width modulator

30. Post #390
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    you'll save energy and improve fan life with a pulse width modulator
    The fan he has is AC, not DC. You can't use PWM on an AC motor without burning it up. If you drop the line frequency from 60 Hz to 50 Hz, the motor is going to draw a ton more amps and fry itself.

The only downside to using a light dimmer is that it chops the AC wave and the motor is going to generate a bit more noise than it normally does.

31. Post #391
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    work in progress super sledge

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

if you're gonna be making goofy improvised weapons by welding together junk you should probably make a zip gun eventually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    proply
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    December 2010
    352 Posts
    if you're gonna be making goofy improvised weapons by welding together junk you should probably make a zip gun eventually
    Someone hasn't played fallout...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    It is still goofy though.

36. Post #396
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    quite goofy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    being vaguely fallout-esque doesn't make them not goofy

38. Post #398
    April 2009
    1,326 Posts

I'd like to ask you about your bakelite fetish, but first, could you make a functional framing hammer with a claw in this style? How much would you charge me for one?

39. Post #399
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    I'd like to ask you about your bakelite fetish, but first, could you make a functional framing hammer with a claw in this style? How much would you charge me for one?
    how much would you be willing to pay? the more you pay the more intricate it becomes, and the rarer the parts used become

it takes a lot to find the parts. it'll be very hard to balance it correctly, too. it''ll be heavy as hell but it'll hammer well

40. Post #400
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,319 Posts
    Patterns are an equally valid term, pretty much all the friends i have who are involved in sewing, dressmaking etc etc call them patterns. Fabric Schematic is pretty much using big words to make it sound more technical.
    I know they are called patterns. I was joking, I guess that was not apparent enough, lol.