1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    16,761 Posts
    not sure if its much of 'DIY' or just a craft/hobby thing.

I made this chalkboard keychain for a friend or mine. (Teacher) I used polymer clay and no tools except an xacto.

I also made this peanut butter chocolate truffle candy from clay... :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,808 Posts
    So, when I bought this Razer Deathadder Leftie mouse like... 2 years ago, it started having a malfunction with its scrollwheel 6 months after I got it. I just kinda put up with it. A year later, i tried hitting up Razer Support to take them up on that warranty they boast about... and whats this? My order number doesn't exist. :| Gee thanks.

So, finally getting tired of the scroll-wheel issues, I disassembled it and replaced the scroll-wheel component with one that I found off of a dead mouse downstairs in the basement.

Shit works like it was brand new now. I forgot how much I missed the smell of a hot soldering iron.

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,422 Posts

I've been trying to make a musket for the last few days. Its going pretty well. I might do a thread on it if it works out.
    RIP cathal6606

I don't see how that is going pretty well, it looks like a garden stake with a pipe tied to it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    2,271 Posts

aww yea, plucked these from a banged-up stereo on the side of the road.

i'm hunting down their datasheets so i can make proper use of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

5. Post #165
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    8,995 Posts
    RIP cathal6606

I don't see how that is going pretty well, it looks like a garden stake with a pipe tied to it
    Looks like? That's exactly what it is.

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,575 Posts

Posted this in DD a while back, it's an oak pipe i made on a wood lathe with hand tools, the one in the background is an older one made out of shitter wood.

I miss this one, i don't have it anymore but it worked really well and looked awesome to boot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #167
    April 2009
    1,149 Posts

aww yea, plucked these from a banged-up stereo on the side of the road.

i'm hunting down their datasheets so i can make proper use of them.
    I have a whole bunch of oldschool vacuum tubes from the early 40s through late 70's. A lot are unsealed/broken but still hold their shape, if you're planning on getting artsy, let me know,.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    16,761 Posts
    :c*
    Made some more clay thingies.*

Sushi, a cake with a slice and starbucks coffee.*
    The coffee whip cream got fucked up so I redid the whole thing.*

Much more realistic whip cream:

Edited:

Ok.. These are huge.. I forgot how to minimize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #169
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,780 Posts
    They are very cool, I wish I was artistic. My creativity stops with music.

Been soldering a patch panel for the past few hours, so many bloody points. And I have 3 panels to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts

I've been trying to make a musket for the last few days. Its going pretty well. I might do a thread on it if it works out.
    it should be able to handle shotgun loads, how thick is it?

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,006 Posts
    Been tinkering with my Arduino all day; I think my game of Simon is pretty good:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

12. Post #172
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    Not much, but I installed these fans (took them from a server cooling rack at work) on my bed frame. Only used 1 screw so they can swivel. Damn things are really loud though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,746 Posts
    Not sure if I have enough to make a thread but here is a stop light stand I have been working on in my shop class:

The stand itself is around 3 feet tall and with the light on it its almost 6 feet tall.
    It consists of a old tire rim with the end of a old car tent support leg welded to it so another leg could be inserted into it.
    The light is attached to the post through the hole bottom using a threaded adapter I made welded to the post and a aluminum nut a friend made using a CNC mill we have at school.

Here is what I'm using to control the lights currently:

I'm going to drill a small hole in the side of each light section and install a small toggle switch for each light.

I hooked a deck light sensor up to it too, but I'm not sure if I should actually attach it to the light and have a toggle switch that lets you use the sensor or just have it constantly on:

I plan on painting the base black after I clean up the tire rim and if I can find the right yellow I'll repaint the light itself.
    I also still have to drill a hole at the back of the base for the power cord to fed through so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

14. Post #174
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,780 Posts
    It would be rather interesting to fit a DMX dimmer pack into that and computer control it.

Could be some money in that for stage props. DMX traffic lights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,746 Posts
    I was thinking of doing this if I can get hold of those relays
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    August 2009
    2,676 Posts

Made this during the weekend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

17. Post #177
    nox
    March 2007
    2,193 Posts
    That's sweet. What type of wood is it and what tools used?

18. Post #178
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    looks poplar or pine from here

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,107 Posts

Looks like RR_Raptor65's got some competition!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

20. Post #180
    August 2009
    2,676 Posts
    That's sweet. What type of wood is it and what tools used?
    The blade an guard are made from leftover pine and the handle and pommel are made from a branch of a whitethorn three that I cut down a last year.

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,548 Posts
    Heavy welsh/english warbow made of hickory. Made a few before but they were all too short to match my height, and this hickory is much more springy than the osage orange I used last time.

Not sure of the draw weight but its really damn heavy. Fired a crappy weighted dowel arrow, it flew 60 meters in less that a second and embedded itself an inch into the ground. Now I just need some proper bodkin arrows :[

Bled my knuckle because I nocked the string too close to the handle and it slapped my hand, won't make that mistake again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,107 Posts
    Heavy welsh/english warbow made of hickory. Made a few before but they were all too short to match my height, and this hickory is much more springy than the osage orange I used last time.

Not sure of the draw weight but its really damn heavy. Fired a crappy weighted dowel arrow, it flew 60 meters in less that a second and embedded itself an inch into the ground. Now I just need some proper bodkin arrows :[

Bled my knuckle because I nocked the string too close to the handle and it slapped my hand, won't make that mistake again
    Nice crocs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,422 Posts
    Finally fixed our push mower just 4 days after we bought a new one to replace it..

Unfortunately the only way to turn it off right now is to unplug the sparkplug, which gives you a nice little shock

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,558 Posts
    Finally fixed our push mower just 4 days after we bought a new one to replace it..

Unfortunately the only way to turn it off right now is to unplug the sparkplug, which gives you a nice little shock
    Depending on what mower you have, there should be some sort of metal that allows you to short the spark plug and ground it out with the metal of the mower itself... Instead of unplugging it, you could just short out the top of the spark plug with the bare metal of the lawnmower.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    918 Posts

Bought a little treasure chest at a hardware store. Painted it (first layer was dark brown, second black, original color was some really light wood tone), sanded it, glued the leather strips on and then put some shiny gold nails in it. It's going to be the package of a birthday gift, and I'll try and engrave a skull on top of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

26. Post #186
    April 2009
    1,149 Posts
    Finished my apartment home theater for my living room. We moved to a much nicer unit downstairs, which is exactly the same as our old one, but reversed lay-out. Painted the screen wall dark red, and the rest of the walls tan. Going for 1940 -1950's approach. Littered about are my other DIY projects, including my bakelite radios, and some redwood clam shell decor additions, and a custon entertainment center. Decorated the whole room for under $100. Dropped all the wires under the appartment, since I have crawl space access in our backyard. I was not happy down there, but it was all worth it in the end having no wires running across the floor, FU comcast and the $100 you would have charged me to do that...

That abstract functional piece is all made of scrap redwood from a fencing project. All unsanded and raw.

120" screen for my HTPC/PS3.

Pretty happy with it. Now just looking for something else to build...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,927 Posts
    Finished [to an extent] the bass I've been building in school! It's the first instrument I've built, and the first long term project I've ever done before. Not flawless, but I'm proud of my work anyways. The next step is filing the top of the frets a bit because they buzz without being level enough.

It plays very nicely, the treble is good and the popping sound is great.

I'll get some better pictures later because it's dark out and the lighting isn't good, if I use a flash it reflects on the bass and makes the picture look horrible.

The pickups are by Kent Armstrong by the way, they sound real nice.

I'll get a list of the woods I used and for what part next post with pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

28. Post #188
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,593 Posts
    just finished a book shelf for my games excuse the shitty cellphone picture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 3 (list)

29. Post #189
    October 2011
    636 Posts

I'll get a list of the woods I used and for what part next post with pictures.
    That end looks really sharp. Don't trip onto it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts

Made this in a couple of hours

Like 95% done, needs a bit more sanding and stuff. It's going on my Harley Benton G212 guitar cabinet when it arrives here in a few days instead of the horrible Harley Benton logo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,593 Posts
    I used some wood to make a rack mount Power strip for my server rack, Get's all the wires out of the way.

Edited:

Also saves me buying a proper one..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,032 Posts

Some knife I made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #193
    May 2011
    2,016 Posts

Some knife I made.
    That's really knife. Ha. ha.

What has my life come to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    July 2011
    139 Posts
    how did you make it?

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,002 Posts
    That's really knife. Ha. ha.

What has my life come to?
    looks awesome! i like the rough finish.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,291 Posts
    I forget if i posted my chainmail shirt on here, so I'll post all the pictures.
    part of a basic sheet of chainmail

Start of the trunk of the shirt, made out of 6 panels that i made and the straps (Yes I am aware it resembles a sports bra somewhat)

Widened the straps and added another set of panels to the bottom

Getting more of the trunk and shoulder parts done

The main trunk of the chainmail shirt made from probably around 13,000 1.4mm thick and 8 mm innder diameter mild steel rings

One shoulder done (sleeves are an absoloute bitch to do on this thing as the pattern rotates 90 degrees which makes fitting it, fiddly to say the least), it took me about 36 hours of planning, experimenting and tesitng out to get it to work, and even then i messed up slightly

Still got part of the sleeve to do, but i kind of can't be arsed for the moment as it's messed up somehow and fixing it is long, arduous and fiddly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    8,995 Posts

The belt isn't tight enough, but most likely gonna change it to a chain instead, would work much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

38. Post #198

Images from my room, did it in one weekend. Worked on it for about 2 or so hours a day. In between I helped my mom get the ethernet set up.
    No offense but it looks like a public toilet met a mental asylum.
    It's like Jackson Pollock had a seizure while he was really drunk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 18Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    August 2009
    950 Posts
    carved a spoon from some hard firewood. I have a big problem though: after I finished it, I wanted to prevent damage to it. Some website said to coat it with mineral SPIRITS instead of mineral OIL. They must have confused the two. I hope I can still use it with food. (Mineral spirits are toxic in some way, and mineral oil isn't)

Is there a way to wash the spirits out? or keep them from getting into food?

What should I do to protect the spoon and my health?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    crank up the oven and bake it out