1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Use 2.1, it'll run on anything from like 2004.

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    Yeah, I realize that now. Updated all the links, here is the link with OpenGL 2.1:
    --Link removed, it's deprecated

3. Post #163
    August 2009
    1,100 Posts
    The world seemed very nice but i found it rather difficult to explore, sometimes when i jumped i would go 10 blocks in the air and other times i couldn't jump at all. whats up with that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    The world seemed very nice but i found it rather difficult to explore, sometimes when i jumped i would go 10 blocks in the air and other times i couldn't jump at all. whats up with that?
    That's a known bug. We don't really have any idea what causes it, but we're debugging our asses of. The physics engine is still pretty glitchy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,186 Posts
    Well it is looking really, nice, you where not wrong the movement being buggey, though also there are a couple other bugs i noticed, graphicly it runs pretty good though. Plus plus all round.

6. Post #166
    August 2008
    299 Posts
    My poor old computer got the error compiling vertex shaders even with up-to-date graphics card drivers. I figured that it would happen, because my computer is on its last legs. It's upgraded as much as possible, and still fails hard.
    I should be getting a new computer soon, I'll test again once I get it.

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    those driver thingies should have an autoupdate or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,496 Posts
    those driver thingies should have an autoupdate or something
    I think ATi's Catalyst has stared checking for updates recently, and if you have steam installed I think it'll check automatically too.

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    Tried it out, and it was nice (Except for the reported bugs).

I hope the restrictions of the engine are lifted when the current crop of bugs are fixed.

And please develop a good level saving format? You should really set up a system for saving chunks with extra data, like information about the world format, chunk version, etc. And please don't just use a single byte to signify blocks: Use something just a ushort: A few big minecraft mods will easily use whatever minecraft has left over: Just as well make it big enough to last from the beginning.

Oh, and compress the chunk data.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    370 Posts
    This engine looks nice, but is it really a voxel engine?

A voxel is the 3d extension of a pixel, it stores only basic information like position and color.
    So it can't have any textures applied to it. Your engine looks more like a "cube engine".
    Checkout "Voxelstein 3D" which uses a true voxel engine for comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

11. Post #171
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    In the data, the voxel is merely a position and a block type, which determines the texture.

So it's still a voxel, just one that at render time has a texture. And when more data is added, it'll still be a voxel because that data is merely stored based on its position anyway. Does a pixel cease to be a pixel when I determine that it's part of a button?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #172
    April 2009
    2,070 Posts
    Bu-bu- but I have up to date drivers and a good graphics card! :saddowns:

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    I can't run it neither, wanted to test me textures.

OH well, my new comp should be here AAANYYYTIIMMEEE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    April 2009
    2,070 Posts
    Yeah but it definetly should work for me

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Doesn't work here, either. Geforce 525M with 1gb video ram, supports opengl 4.1.

Edited:

Getting the "failed to compile vertex shader" thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #176

February 2010
    220 Posts
    Error while compiling the vertex shader. This means that you probably have an outdated graphics card driver.

Hardware
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 Tyler 65nm Technology
    3.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
    GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M (HP)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #177
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Tried it out, and it was nice (Except for the reported bugs).

I hope the restrictions of the engine are lifted when the current crop of bugs are fixed.

And please develop a good level saving format? You should really set up a system for saving chunks with extra data, like information about the world format, chunk version, etc. And please don't just use a single byte to signify blocks: Use something just a ushort: A few big minecraft mods will easily use whatever minecraft has left over: Just as well make it big enough to last from the beginning.

Oh, and compress the chunk data.
    We plan to lift all the restrictions with the next release, but there is quite a few bugs to fix first.
    We are actually using structs containing two bytes to store blocks. The chunks are 32x32x32x2B = 64KiB. We might compress them in the future, but this isn't a priority. We also plan to add a info-file with each world specifying all the world-, landscape-, physics- and renderingsettings.

Bu-bu- but I have up to date drivers and a good graphics card! :saddowns:
    I can't run it neither, wanted to test me textures.

OH well, my new comp should be here AAANYYYTIIMMEEE
    Doesn't work here, either. Geforce 525M with 1gb video ram, supports opengl 4.1.

Edited:

Getting the "failed to compile vertex shader" thing.
    I believe Matte have done something with the shadercode to allow older drivers to run it, but I cant reach him right now. I'll check later if he uploaded that version.

Edit:
    I just figured out my own computer can't run it either
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #178
    May 2010
    5,392 Posts
    There has seemed to be problems with openTK and NVidia cards so it might be worth checking if its only people with nvidia cards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,963 Posts
    Oh yea I updated my drivers too, didn't fix it. Sounds like an nvidia specific thing. I'll try it on my old ati computer later.

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    I have a 6970, and it works for me. Might very well be nvidia.

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,647 Posts
    It probably is, 4890 here, works fine.

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts

Trying out some different seeds. Also, I enabled noclip and all the other stuff that was disabled.

FishFlakes is a pretty good seed.

Block editing is kind of funky.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

23. Post #183
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    t some different seeds. Also, I enabled noclip and all the other stuff that was disabled.
    What? How did you do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

24. Post #184
    May 2010
    5,392 Posts
    Thats what happens when you let programmers loose with your programs :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,647 Posts
    I suppose he decompiled the exe

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    All I did was change some ldc.i4.0 to ldc.i4.1 and vise versa. Decompile and recompile is messy.

27. Post #187
    May 2010
    5,392 Posts
    Now a days you dont even need to bother decompiling

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    The update dynamically option seems strange. It works, but only if you actually walk. If you are in noclip mode, it doesn't update the world, and viewing doesn't do it either.

29. Post #189
    May 2010
    5,392 Posts
    The update dynamically option seems strange. It works, but only if you actually walk. If you are in noclip mode, it doesn't update the world, and viewing doesn't do it either.
    Maybe they are going for a roguelike style

30. Post #190
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    The world doesn't update in noclip, if it had it would be difficult to take screenshots of the world
    What do you mean about viewing doesn't do it either?

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    The world doesn't update in noclip, if it had it would be difficult to take screenshots of the world
    What do you mean about viewing doesn't do it either?
    Suppose so. And I mean like in minecraft, where if you look at an unloaded chunk it will try and load it. Also, you might want to increase the max number of loaded chunks.

32. Post #192
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Suppose so. And I mean like in minecraft, where if you look at an unloaded chunk it will try and load it. Also, you might want to increase the max number of loaded chunks.
    We limited the world-size for this teaser. There are 5x5x5 chunks there, we'll at least increase to 7x7x7. We also have some ideas for how to make the viewing distance "infinite"

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    We limited the world-size for this teaser. There are 5x5x5 chunks there, we'll at least increase to 7x7x7. We also have some ideas for how to make the viewing distance "infinite"
    Yeah, I've been messing with that value as well.

Also, digging is really annoying in this.

34. Post #194
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Also, digging is really annoying in this.
    Thats why we disabled it

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    Thats why we disabled it
    Did you notice that it depends on the direction for how it digs?

36. Post #196
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Did you notice that it depends on the direction for how it digs?
    video
    We've narrowed this down to a bug in the ray-AABB intersection method. If you know of a fast and simple algorithm, i'll be greatful to hear

37. Post #197

August 2007
    550 Posts
    We've narrowed this down to a bug in the ray-AABB intersection method. If you know of a fast and simple algorithm, i'll be greatful to hear
    You could unproject the center of the screen, but that uses the depth buffer so it will get tricky with transparent things and different shaped blocks. could be worth a try though.

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,186 Posts
    Why decompile or edit the exe, just import the exe and opentk then copy the content to your new folder.

All you really need to run
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;

using Umbra.Engines;
    using Umbra.Definitions.Globals;

namespace UmbraTest
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Constants.World.DynamicWorld = true;
                Constants.World.SaveDynamicWorld = false;
                Constants.Landscape.WorldSeed = "Vbitz";
                Constants.World.WorldSize = 4;
                Constants.Graphics.AntiAliasingEnabled = false;
                Constants.Graphics.EnableFullScreen = false;
                Constants.Controls.CanPlaceBlocks = true;
                Constants.Controls.NoclipAllowed = true;
                Umbra.Engines.Main main = new Main(1000, 600, new OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsMode(), "Umbra", OpenTK.GameWindowFlags.Default);
                main.Run(60.0, 60.0);
            }
        }
    }

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    Why decompile or edit the exe, just import the exe and opentk then copy the content to your new folder.

All you really need to run
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;

using Umbra.Engines;
    using Umbra.Definitions.Globals;

namespace UmbraTest
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Constants.World.DynamicWorld = true;
                Constants.World.SaveDynamicWorld = false;
                Constants.Landscape.WorldSeed = "Vbitz";
                Constants.World.WorldSize = 4;
                Constants.Graphics.AntiAliasingEnabled = false;
                Constants.Graphics.EnableFullScreen = false;
                Constants.Controls.CanPlaceBlocks = true;
                Constants.Controls.NoclipAllowed = true;
                Umbra.Engines.Main main = new Main(1000, 600, new OpenTK.Graphics.GraphicsMode(), "Umbra", OpenTK.GameWindowFlags.Default);
                main.Run(60.0, 60.0);
            }
        }
    }

Eh, my way lets you keep the existing UI.

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,647 Posts
    So, why is the character not 3 or 4 blocks ?