1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,574 Posts
    Can you please tell me how you did that or teach me or something because those are really nice textures.
    Kinda hard to explain or teach. Basically you make the texture and then make it seamless. (To make it seamless I just use a paint.net plugin called seamless texture helper and then patch up tiling errors with photoshop patch tool) Making the texture itself is a bit more complicated, can't be bothered to explain it in detail it's 4am.

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,520 Posts
    Kinda hard to explain or teach. Basically you make the texture and then make it seamless. (To make it seamless I just use a paint.net plugin called seamless texture helper and then patch up tiling errors with photoshop patch tool) Making the texture itself is a bit more complicated, can't be bothered to explain it in detail it's 4am.
    Aww, the texture creation part is what I wanted to know xD
    If you care to when you have the time, I'd appreciate it :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    pfft.
    I go oldschool pixel by pixel.

Also speaking of tiling, I did the plank texture blind, and just today I patched couple of them together to discover that I managed to do it without tiling errors.

Edited:

don't know about the rest, tough

Edited:

also if you guys happen to need an artist or something, I'm up for the job since I really don't have anything to do

Edited:

Aww, the texture creation part is what I wanted to know xD
    If you care to when you have the time, I'd appreciate it :3
    they are pmuch photos cropped to size and the grass-dirt one is grass overlapped with dirt, grass layer cut and drop shadow applied as far as i can tell

4. Post #124
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    also if you guys happen to need an artist or something, I'm up for the job since I really don't have anything to do
    At this point we really only need the textures, but we'll keep that in mind for when we get to a point where we think "Damn, we really need an artist!"

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    I sent your mate the updated stuff

6. Post #126
    April 2009
    2,048 Posts
    Here's my contribution :

Edited:

I have no idea how these would look ingame so sorry if they look like shit.
    You beat me. But that dark area on the wood doesn't look nice.

Edited:

And that hole in the dirt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Your textures:

Another good texture look, and no tiling errors as I can see. Great! Thanks to Satane, juGGa and 3v3ryb0dy for devoting their time to helping us. I will talk to the other developer tomorrow, and then we'll discuss exactly what kind of textures we want for our engine.
    It would look so much better with some lighting and a bit of AF, the textures start to look a bit rougher when further away. If you got mipmapping working too, that would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,574 Posts
    they are pmuch photos cropped to size and the grass-dirt one is grass overlapped with dirt, grass layer cut and drop shadow applied as far as i can tell
    That's exactly what I did. I used like 3-4 family photos for each, just overlapping them and changing blending options until I thought they looked good (and have a bit of a minecraft feel to them). So basically the stone texture is made of mountains, asphalt and some buildings, same goes for everything else (sand is actually made of not only sand but also the ocean, to add that wavy look)

Edited:

You beat me. But that dark area on the wood doesn't look nice.

Edited:

And that hole in the dirt.
    I can easily fix those if they go for my textures, we haven't seen 3v3ryb0dy's after all.

9. Post #129
    April 2009
    2,048 Posts
    I made two different log textures that fits with each other or with the same texture.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

10. Post #130
    August 2008
    299 Posts
    This looks amazing. Thanks for posting a link in the Wiremod forums, or I would've never found this.

11. Post #131
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Have been making some progress in the landscape-generation department. I'm using trilinear interpolation to generate caves and possebly overhangs soon.
    Here are some pics! (The heightmap here is simple bilinear interpolated, not very pretty)

Just caves, no heightmap

Caves with heightmap

Slightly larger caves, might use these in certain areas

Finally, a very dense cave system (this was acctually a bug, there's way to many faces to render. Look at the FPS )

[HR][/HR]

As an extra treat, here's some pics from the very first verson of the engine... They are about 5 months old

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    April 2009
    2,048 Posts
    Luv it

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    so the problem when you scale down the block size is that the large amount of faces to render will lag?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    April 2011
    974 Posts
    Look at the size of that thing

15. Post #135
    November 2008
    2,385 Posts
    The dirt layer seems to be too equal. Add variations in height.
    Also in the first versions the hills are at 60fps but the current version is 30fps. Optimisation loss?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

16. Post #136
    April 2009
    2,048 Posts
    The dirt layer seems to be too equal. Add variations in height.
    They are about 5 months old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    would be super cool if the generator managed to create random bridges in the caves
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,526 Posts
    Usually in 3D Z is up/down and X and Y keep there left and right status, at least as far as I know.
    z = depth y = up x =left/right

Edited:

Have been making some progress in the landscape-generation department. I'm using trilinear interpolation to generate caves and possebly overhangs soon.
    Here are some pics! (The heightmap here is simple bilinear interpolated, not very pretty)
    dude that looks beautiful

19. Post #139
    April 2009
    2,048 Posts
    So have you guys decided about the textures yet?

20. Post #140
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    We're working hard on porting the graphics-engine to OpenGL.
    We'll release a playable alpha as soon as we've solved this little problem:

Along with some other small issues

So have you guys decided about the textures yet?
    As you may see, textures are not really a subject right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    Success!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,520 Posts
    Looks like Mirror's Edge Title city
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    August 2008
    299 Posts
    I can't wait to mess around in the alpha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    so, about my textures?

25. Post #145
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    so, about my textures?
    Yes, about them... There were missing a couple of rows and colums in the grid. The 3x3 block grid should be 192x192px

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts

Umm, guys... We just had a meltdown at our local power plant...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,520 Posts
    Silly Matte, trees can't grow on the sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts

Umm, guys... We just had a meltdown at our local power plant...
    Oh look, a sea of piss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

29. Post #149
    nox
    March 2007
    2,191 Posts
    Do me a favor and keep the trees packed that dense, there's something neat about a sudden thick treeline.

30. Post #150
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Do me a favor and keep the trees packed that dense, there's something neat about a sudden thick treeline.
    You mean something like this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,520 Posts
    Facepunch Deforestation Services now hiring

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    I finally figured out how to do the textures! Here are a few pictures of our engine in OpenGL:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

33. Post #153
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Preparing to release a very limited trial with OpenGL in about 10 minutes.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    I finally figured out how to do the textures! Here are a few pictures of our engine in OpenGL:

Looks like you're adding faces to chunk boundaries with that there water.

35. Post #155
    January 2011
    75 Posts
    Looks like you're adding faces to chunk boundaries with that there water.
    We know what this problem is, and have a solution... We just need to code it in OpenGL
    It will be present in the following teaser release, but will be fixed before the first real alpha version.

Matte is uploading the teaser now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    Here is a (very limited) teaser, with almost everything disabled. The reason is that we just ported the engine to OpenGL (which should make it run on any windows computer with .net 4), and haven't had the time to enable all the features yet.

Enjoy the Umbra Voxel Engine 1.2 teaser!

-- Link removed, it's deprecated

Test it and post your results here!

37. Post #157
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Oh look, a sea of piss.
    Facepunch forum-to-world generation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

38. Post #158
    January 2011
    75 Posts

If anybody wants to replace the texture file (in the Content folder), the file should be a .png with 16x16 textures. The individual textures can be any with as long as they are equally big. The location of the blocks are the same as in Minecraft.

39. Post #159
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,045 Posts

ummmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    424 Posts
    What manufacturer is your card? This happened on my testbed computer as well, and a driver update fixed it. Try downloading and the newest driver anyways. I don't trust windows on graphics card drivers, and I never will.

BTW, the engine requires at least OpenGL 3.2
    Not anymore. New links should support anything from 2.1 and up.