1. Post #1
    Everything You Do is a Balloon
    March 2007
    1,508 Posts
    I have been absolutely obsessed with this band ever since I've discovered them, and the fact that they are not one of the hugest bands out there disturbs me slightly, so I figured I'd make a thread about them, they are really just amazing in my own opinion.

Wikipedia posted:
    Foxy Shazam is an American rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio, formed in 2004. The band consists of lead vocalist Eric Sean Nally, guitarist Loren Turner, pianist Sky White and bass player Daisy. Later trumpeter and back-up vocalist Alex Nauth joined, and Aaron McVeigh became the band's permanent drummer. After forming, the band immediately recorded The Flamingo Trigger independently then committed to an extensive national touring regimen. Shortly there after, Foxy signed with Ferret Records and recorded their second album Introducing which was produced by Casey Bates (Chiodos, Portugal. The Man).[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] and released on January 22, 2008. The following year, they recorded their first major label record with multi-platinum record producer, John Feldmann. Foxy Shazam signed with Sire Records (a subsidiary of Warner Brothers) and released their self titled major label debut in 2010.The band name originated from a slang phrase used by students at vocalist Eric Sean Nally's high school where Foxy Shazam meant "cool shoes".[SUP][3][/SUP] On February 7, 2010, their single Unstoppable was featured in Super Bowl XLIV.[SUP][3][/SUP] It was featured in the videogame, NHL 11, and as well as Cartoon Network's second live-action show: Tower Prep, as a theme song. It was also in a trailer for the movie Your Highness.
    A quote from lead singer, Eric Sean Nally, about the band's influence: "When I listen to a Foxy Shazam record I think of Evel Knievel, Bruce Springsteen, my childhood, Van Morrison, my old friends from high school I don't talk to anymore, Elton John, the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and beyond, Iggy Pop and my first kiss."[SUP][3][/SUP]
    Eric Sean Nally has said an album that influenced him was Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] Many media outlets compare the band to Queen and Meat Loaf because of their use of theatrics and over-the-top lyrics. The magazine Alternative Press has compared the band to bands like Queen, My Chemical Romance, and The Darkness, while also believing that the band has a very unique sound that should best be seen live.
    Here's their albums and tracklistings for said albums. I would recommend listening to their Self-Titied Album first, or their Introducing album, both are equally amazing. Truthfully their first album is.. I dunno, it just isn't like what their newer stuff is like.

The Flamingo Trigger

"The French Passion of Animality Opera" - 2:53
    "NO! Don't Shoot" - 3:28
    "October Surf Suitcase Fish" - 2:41
    "Seagulls Over Rhinosuarus Bay Part I" - 2:49
    "Seagulls Over Rhinosuarus Bay Part II" - 2:43
    "Aroma of You" - 2:55
    "------------" - 2:21
    "Sailors Over Rhinosuarus Bay" - 3:04
    "Brains of Vegas" - 3:32
    "My Wife's Juice and Water Tower Wine" - 3:17
    "Across the Golden Field" - 3:33
    "Shadow of a Shoulder Parrot" - 3:48
    Introducing

"Introducing Foxy" - 3:18
    "The Rocketeer" - 2:49
    "A Dangerous Man" - 3:06
    "The Science of Love" - 3:04
    "A Black Man's Breakfast" - 3:30
    "It's Hair Smelled Like Bonfire" - 2:41
    "Red Cape Diver" - 4:17
    "Yes! Yes! Yes!" - 2:55
    "Ghost Animals" - 3:28
    "Cool" - 4:12
    "Born to the Devil" (Japanese bonus track)
    "Sky in a Room" (Japanese bonus track)
    Foxy Shazam (Self-Titled)

Intro/Bomb’s Away - 3:20
    Wanna-Be Angel - 3:21
    Count Me Out - 3:46
    Bye Bye Symphony - 4:04
    Unstoppable - 3:33
    Second Floor - 3:59
    Oh Lord - 4:10
    Connect - 3:27
    The Only Way to My Heart... - 4:43
    Killin' It - 3:58
    Evil Thoughts - 4:17
    Teenage Demon Baby - 3:36 (iTunes bonus)
    Some Kind of Love - 3:07 (iTunes bonus track)

And now a quick bio of the band members

My name is Eric Nally and I am the singer and founding member of this rabble-rousing pack of freaks they call Foxy Shazam. Our other five members are (in alphabetical order): Daisy (bass) Aaron McVeigh (drums), Alex Nauth (horns) Loren Turner (guitar) and Sky White (piano). I love them but before I get into their story, I would like to spend a little time on myself: I am twenty-four years old, the father of two boys, Julian Michael and Francis Jordan, as well as a loving husband to Karen Nally. This creates an interesting contrast to my career as a professional musician.
    I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was one of two white boys in an all-black high school. The band name Foxy Shazam came from a saying in my school meaning, "cool shoes". If you had cool shoes kids would say those are "foxy shazam". Because of this we have a lot of soul, and try to let it bleed through our music as much as possible. Mom and Dad were pretty poor as I was growing up but always supported my musical interests nonetheless. In the early years they bought my band cheap guitars and amps and drove us to shows in the family Thunderbird. I owe them big time and will someday repay them.

Now that you know a little about my history, I would like to talk about my bandmates. Alex, our trumpet player is my right hand man and as a matter of fact he is transcribing this for me right now. Alex is classically trained, has a likable personality and is easy to get along with. I would never be caught dead in the clothes he wears but, hey, to each his own. I feel like his horn playing has added to the uniqueness of our sound. I meet a lot of people that think horns are stupid, but he’s going to change that.

Loren, our guitar player is a weird guy to get the hang of and he’s very quiet. Everyone that meets him gets the impression that he’s mad at them but that’s not the case, it’s just the way his face looks. He loves Dimebag Darrell and I love the influence that gives him in his guitar playing.

Daisy, is our bass player. To be honest, I don’t know too much about him and I like him like that. That’s what makes him Daisy. However, I do know that his contribution to our band is enormous and without him we would not sound the way that we do.

Aaron, our drummer is the newest member of the band. The position of Foxy’s drummer, until Aaron, has been one that is filled temporarily but never permanently. We picked him up on the conner of Castro and Market St. in San Francisco. His drumming is not overly fancy and is extremely solid, which is exactly what we’ve been looking for all these years.

Last but not least is Sky White, our pianist who is trained in classical and jazz performance. I remember Loren and I went to a show his old band was playing and the second I saw him stand on his keyboard with a piņata on his head I knew we had to get him in Foxy Shazam. It didn’t take too much convincing and a week later we were recording our first album Flamingo Trigger (which came out in 2005) and went on to do Introducing (2008). Our self-titled major label debut is coming out now.
    As many people who listen to Foxy Shazam say, they have a very unique sound, which makes a lot of people relate them to Queen, they don't sound EXACTLY like Queen, it's just that they put a ton of soul and theatrics, among other things, into their music, which just frankly blows me away.

Anyways, time for the actual music, I hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do, because I consider this music to be just outstanding.

And here's a live video, I've yet to see them live, but friends who have say it is definitely an amazing experience, and I can see why

Hope you guys like what you hear!

2. Post #2
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX
    June 2010
    2,193 Posts
    I believe Unstoppable is in NHL 11, sounds quite good, I'll definitely check out their other songs.

3. Post #3
    Everything You Do is a Balloon
    March 2007
    1,508 Posts
    Yeah, they have Unstoppable in NHL 11, it was also used in some Cartoon Network show if I remember right.