1. Post #2961
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,547 Posts

I'm getting the symbology and metaphors now after looking back at the show as a hole.
    The word you're looking for is 'symbolism'.

Yeah I've noticed deaths that can be covered with explosions, smoke, or not really outright saying they are dead is allowed. Though if the body can be seen or the implication is heavy that they are about to die, it isn't allowed.

Example: Someone 'going out with a bang' and 'fighting off a horde of enemies until the end (then black screen) would be allowed in a show but not 'about to be crushed by a boulder' or 'falling to your death from an airplane'. Some shows can get away with blood, as long as the blood is a lightish red and doesn't resemble real blood (can't be dark red or crimson).
    Even something like a punch or a kick is censored to a degree. The Bruce Timm cartoons did this quite a bit where a white flash would occur when someone is hit or you would see the character making the blow, see the reaction but not the fist-to-face contact.

Mostly, when it comes to cartoon deaths, it either happens off screen or it is heavily implied but never directly shown, or it is not graphic in nature. Rarely have I seen blood in a cartoon series, maybe a small cut, but nothing particularly life-threatening. In some cases, the death is a tease (Young Justice, for instance, likes to tease everything from twincest to impalement). Oh yeah, and the person dying seems to have to be at a certain age- an adult, mostly- to die. Children are immortal in cartoons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2962
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,741 Posts
    It just made me happy to see that Asami didn't go against her father in the beginning to be with Mako, she did it because she was against their methods and ideals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #2963
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    (Young Justice, for instance, likes to tease everything from twincest to impalement)
    I am now setting my DVR to record young justice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2964
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,339 Posts
       I was surprised at how easily amon was willing to give up as leader. I thought he would try to explain himself to his people   

because he hated himself for who he was, even with a mask he hid his identity and claimed one he liked. And instead of accepting defeat he ran away from his problems taking his brother with him. And Amon knew he was going to be killed by his brother because he wanted to stop but couldn't and they both knew they were monsters because of their father.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

5. Post #2965
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,750 Posts
    The real loser here is not Amon but rather    Asami, poor girl   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

6. Post #2966
    May 2011
    2,935 Posts
    This disappointment over how this season ended is nothing compared to the sheer amount of assrage over ATLA's first season.

What a refreshing change.

7. Post #2967
    April 2008
    1,383 Posts
    The main detractor to this otherwise great season finale is the Aang Ex Machina
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #2968
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts

Haha.

Also, the Lt. is probably dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 17Late Late x 6 (list)

9. Post #2969
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,547 Posts
    Being the Avatar has always been an excuse for a deus ex machina, even in the The Last Airbender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2970
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    Well I sort of knew this was going to happen. Even if Amon could take away korra's bending away he couldn't take it away from every avatar ever since in the avatar state you get the power of every avatar and other energy bending junk and all that.

11. Post #2971
    September 2010
    194 Posts
    I wish there were 3 seasons like the last series and not one which was green lighted before 1 half season.

I think that the first series was on a much, much deeper level and that you ended up knowing and liking all the characters far more.

12. Post #2972
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,572 Posts

WELL.
    Amon is dead (phew)
    Tarrlok is a bro
    Asami better have something good happen to her in season 2, because fuck... poor girl :(
    Mako is even more of a douche
    I felt bad for Lt. and actually hope that he lives

Overall I think the finale is awesome as fuck, but I really hate the way everything is so fast-paced.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

13. Post #2973
    May 2012
    156 Posts
    That was a great finale,I look foward to season 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

14. Post #2974
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,301 Posts
    Are those    Anti Air cannons? Even though planes apparently didn't exist until today.   
    Airships brah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #2975
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,452 Posts
    Maybe its weird, but I think one of my biggest gripes with the finale was right after the    boat explosion. I felt that it cut way too quickly. When I watched it on TV I thought it might have just been on Nick's end, but I watched it again online and the shot of the destroyed boat was really short. I felt that it would have been more poignant and thought provoking to have the camera linger, even for just a few more seconds, on the wreckage. It was like they were just trying to hurry it along and brush the end of two characters aside quickly.    Don't get me wrong, I still liked the finale, but its just something I've been thinking of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2976
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,841 Posts
    Maybe its weird, but I think one of my biggest gripes with the finale was right after the    boat explosion. I felt that it cut way too quickly. When I watched it on TV I thought it might have just been on Nick's end, but I watched it again online and the shot of the destroyed boat was really short. I felt that it would have been more poignant and thought provoking to have the camera linger, even for just a few more seconds, on the wreckage. It was like they were just trying to hurry it along and brush the end of two characters aside quickly.    Don't get me wrong, I still liked the finale, but its just something I've been thinking of.
    I thought that too.     It is probably because Nickolodeon wouldn't want them dwelling on the deaths of two characters or something.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2977
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    509 Posts
    I thought that too.     It is probably because Nickolodeon wouldn't want them dwelling on the deaths of two characters or something.   
    They may have shortened the length of that sequence just for time restrictions too...

18. Post #2978
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    i just watched the episodes

may i say that i have never had a tv show be more enjoyable then the best event in my life

Edited:

really wondering what's going to be coming up for the next season

FUCK I CAN'T WAIT TILL FALL OR WINTER OR WHENEVER

19. Post #2979
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,086 Posts
    It wasn't really a Deus Ex Machina because the flashbacks had established that Aang could energybend and that Korra was getting closer to her spiritual side as Avatar. With her airbending block removed, she was able to fully enter the Avatar State and have her bending returned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #2980
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,301 Posts
    Bah, the Korra episodes are now region locked from Canada on nick.com, I wanted to re-watch the first 2 episodes.

weird that they're locked now, they have not been locked the last 2 months.

Edited:

also    I guessed that it was Aang when walked up to Korra at the end   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #2981
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Bah, the Korra episodes are now region locked from Canada on nick.com, I wanted to re-watch the first 2 episodes.

weird that they're locked now, they have not been locked the last 2 months.

Edited:

also    I guessed that it was Aang when walked up to Korra at the end   
    i didn't honestly, i was so surprised and i was fucking yelling in happiness
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #2982
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,982 Posts
       The boat scene is the single darkest thing I've seen presented in a kids show. Geezus.   

Edited:

And I just noticed how my avatar almost totally belongs in this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #2983
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,750 Posts
    i just watched the episodes

may i say that i have never had a tv show be more enjoyable then the best event in my life

Edited:

really wondering what's going to be coming up for the next season

FUCK I CAN'T WAIT TILL FALL OR WINTER OR WHENEVER

Stop getting hyped like a 10 year old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17 (list)

24. Post #2984
    The real loser here is not Amon but rather    Asami, poor girl   
       Lost her mother, father and boyfriend

Writers really don't give a shit about her lol 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #2985
    April 2009
    14,572 Posts

Season 2. Something good has to happen to her :(   

26. Post #2986
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,547 Posts
       Season 2. Something good has to happen to her :(   
    General Iroh and her hook up. Speculating, now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #2987
    April 2009
    14,572 Posts
    Let's have Bolin get some love
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

28. Post #2988
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,339 Posts

she also has to deal with her father's company which might collapse or be beaten by cabbage corp.

But she could replace her father and like all hero-arch stories, forge the biggest business empire.
    Or just become steampunk batman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

29. Post #2989
    June 2008
    3,556 Posts
    General Iroh and her hook up. Speculating, now.
    He does seem to be young enough for it to work.

30. Post #2990
    BoSami here we go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #2991
    April 2009
    14,572 Posts
    BoSami here we go
    Asalin?

Edited:

Asalin is not the same as AsaLin

32. Post #2992
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,874 Posts
    Stop getting hyped like a 10 year old.
    Why do you have a problem with someone getting excited over something they enjoy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #2993
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    People seem to be bitching that there was a happy ending.
    It's a god damn nick show, of course there has to be a happy ending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

34. Post #2994
    Jesus fucking Christ was that good

Best series I've ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #2995
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Also in you guys don't know already the show is going to be re aired with creator commentary on July 9 through 20
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21 (list)

36. Post #2996
    July 2010
    3,573 Posts
    So will this thread die out until the new season airs? Or will we be ranting about the ending for months?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

37. Post #2997
    So will this thread die out until the new season airs? Or will we be ranting about the ending for months?
    Won't be as active guessing...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #2998
    March 2010
    3,308 Posts
    I think the biggest surprise for me was that    Hiroshi actually tried to kill his own daughter. He seemed like a relatively sane man who missed his wife, and then he gets all murderous.   

Whatever happens in the rest of the series, I hope they keep the darkness and violence up. Aang was way too merciful for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

39. Post #2999
       I knew they would of found some way to bring it back, too many important people got their power taken   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #3000
    December 2009
    563 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 2 (list)