1. Post #1281
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,894 Posts
    When i watched that episode this morning that scene was half as long ad a third of the frame was cut off so he was in the far right, weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1282
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,702 Posts
    Woah I just realized, would it of been possible that the avatar cycle would of been completely halted if Aang died, eventually at least? Like Korra would of been born, and the earthbender and firebender reincarnation after her, but since Aang was the last airbender then an avatar couldn't be born.. right? Or would airbender simply be skipped I wonder?

I find it interesting because it pretty much means when the cycle returns to the airbending Avatar, that Avatar is a descendant of his past self.. which is weird
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1283
    October 2010
    682 Posts
    Woah I just realized, would it of been possible that the avatar cycle would of been completely halted if Aang died, eventually at least? Like Korra would of been born, and the earthbender and firebender reincarnation after her, but since Aang was the last airbender then an avatar couldn't be born.. right? Or would airbender simply be skipped I wonder?

I find it interesting because it pretty much means when the cycle returns to the airbending Avatar, that Avatar is a descendant of his past self.. which is weird
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thriving air nation 250+ years. Isn't there more then just Tenzin's family on Airbender island? I could have worn there were some monks in training or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1284
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,607 Posts

By that logic, isn't it basically guaranteed that the next airbending avatar will be one of Tenzin's descendants?

5. Post #1285
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,155 Posts
    I dont really like the latest episode. I loved every episode so far. It just felt like they let Amon won really easy and cheap. I mean how did they take ALL of the guards, not one could metal bend them or anything? idk this is just my imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1286
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,239 Posts
    By that logic, isn't it basically guaranteed that the next airbending avatar will be one of Tenzin's descendants?
    I think that the last avatar will be a fire bender and Aang knew this, so he founded republic city for a future without the avatar or air benders to maintain the balance, (tenzin holds an almost monarch type position).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

7. Post #1287
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,745 Posts
    It's a fan-made digitally enhanced version, and it's pretty good too. It occupies 18,9GB and I can't say where to find it because of reasons.

(btw nothing was cut-off, it's 960x720, not the usual 1280x720, the 4:3 format is kept, it has just been filtered to look good in 720p)
    Oh, I've seen it as well. I don't really classify it as 720p though, my opinion of 720p is the HD resolution. But yea, it looks pretty good, and there are some extras that come with it (like the pilot episode)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #1288
    Gold Member

January 2005
    172 Posts
    Unless your parents don't have to be benders to be born an avatar.

9. Post #1289
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,702 Posts

Yeah that's what I'm sayin, but I'm going a step further because since Aang was Tenzin's father, then the next airbending avatar would be a descendant of himself which is kinda weird

Edited:

Unless your parents don't have to be benders to be born an avatar.
    I think there must be some sort of bending background in your family at least though

Edited:

I think that the last avatar will be a fire bender and Aang knew this, so he founded republic city for a future without the avatar or air benders to maintain the balance, (tenzin holds an almost monarch type position).
    Naa the Republic City was founded for an entirely different reason, it's explained in The Promise

10. Post #1290
    Gold Member

January 2005
    172 Posts
    I think there must be some sort of bending background in your family at least though
    "The Avatar is the spirit of the planet incarnate in human form." (taken from the wiki). Which makes me believe one does not need a bending parental background to be an Avatar.

I don't believe it is explicitly told through any other avatar's if their parents could bend or not.

11. Post #1291
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,702 Posts
    "The Avatar is the spirit of the planet incarnate in human form." (taken from the wiki). Which makes me believe one does not need a bending parental background to be an Avatar.

I don't believe it is explicitly told through any other avatar's if their parents could bend or not.
    I suppose if that's true then it's truly impossible for any one type of bending to go extinct

12. Post #1292
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,947 Posts
    I hope that Korra, or whatever the next possible avatar series is, gets moved onto a mature network so I can see some heads getting cracked. Not just "oh I am gonna fall over winded despite being crushed by a mountain".

That, or a mature DVD.
    I thought it was weird how someone can get blasted by lighting, fly through a wall, and land in a pile of rubble and only get winded and bruised, but Jet was killed just by getting hit on the chin by a rock.

Edited:

maybe Avatar: The last airbender movie was supposed to be like the play they watched in the fire nation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1293
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    So I wonder how dangerous it is for the fire benders in the plant to electric bend like that. If they make a wrong move wont it mess with their internal organs?

14. Post #1294
    November 2009
    9,050 Posts
    So I wonder how dangerous it is for the fire benders in the plant to electric bend like that. If they make a wrong move wont it mess with their internal organs?
    No more so than the people who spliced live 5" braided copper cable at power plants in the 30s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

15. Post #1295
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    274 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #1296
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,453 Posts
    Wow, seeing him like that makes me feel bad for him....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #1297
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,247 Posts
    They were right, his hair is a mess without waterbending.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1298
    October 2010
    682 Posts
    I still don't think those firebenders were generating lightning. Redirecting it sounds more likely. If Mako can shoot lightning whenever he wants, don't you think we'd know? And I'm not saying in the bending arena or something. It just seems like they'd make a point out of it. Lightning Bolt Zolt was named that because was special, for being able to use lightning. If there was a whole plant full of these guys, why would they nickname him that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1299
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,702 Posts
    I still don't think those firebenders were generating lightning. Redirecting it sounds more likely. If Mako can shoot lightning whenever he wants, don't you think we'd know? And I'm not saying in the bending arena or something. It just seems like they'd make a point out of it. Lightning Bolt Zolt was named that because was special, for being able to use lightning. If there was a whole plant full of these guys, why would they nickname him that?
    Err no redirecting lightning is actually much more dangerous then producing it, that's what he was getting at by damaging the internal organs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

20. Post #1300
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,247 Posts
    Pretty sure he was "Lightning Bolt" Zolt because it's his preffered method of fighting. Or a signature style. Or because it rhymes with Zolt.

Also making lightning isn't that hard, you just need a calm mind. Redirecting it is the dangerous one because you have to bring it into your body.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

21. Post #1301
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,155 Posts
    I dont really like the latest episode. I loved every episode so far. It just felt like they let Amon won really easy and cheap. I mean how did they take ALL of the guards, not one could metal bend them or anything? idk this is just my imo
    You see it coming miles away. "We max out security", "They're elite forces", "I'll personally take charge" are buzz words for "Let's get zapped in the back by the audience we forgot to pat down".

Filling these plotholes with something more original could mean the difference between a good show and a great show :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

22. Post #1302
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,390 Posts
    I believe that they just badly underestimated Amon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

23. Post #1303
    October 2010
    682 Posts
    Well who would have guessed Amon would have a pile of Shock Gloves lying around? The police merely expected chi blockers, which they were prepared for with their metal armor. Ironically it was probably that metal armor that made them even more susceptible to the tazer glove things.

24. Post #1304
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,543 Posts
    I'm loving the series. It seems more mature and has already picked up speed in the few first episodes.

What day does it go up? Saturdays?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #1305
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    524 Posts
    I read a theory somewhere that Amon is able to take away peoples bending by blocking one of the Chakras (I believe its the one located on the forehead) or affecting it somehow.

EDIT: Found it, I believe it originated on tumblr.

First off, Amon cannot be energy bending as he did not use the techinques that the Lionturtle and Aang used, or any of the nessecary requirements.

What is more likely is that instead of just blocking chi meridians like a normal chi blocker, he is blocking a chakra entirely. He places his thumb on the sixth chakra, the Ajna, and this is the Hindu description of what that chakra does:

“Hindus believe that spiritual energy from the external environments enter their body through this gateway and hence take utmost precaution in protecting it with spiritually positive protecting forces.”
    Seeing this description, I find it most likely that Amon is blocking this pathway, and that is why they cannot bend.

- englishgentleman
    Also this explains everything:

WHAT A TWIST!

This has some good theories and speculation relating to Amon and some stuff about energybending as well.
    http://atla-annotated.tumblr.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #1306
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,390 Posts
    I still doubt that his bending removal is permanent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events

27. Post #1307
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    524 Posts
    I still doubt that his bending removal is permanent.
    If the chakra theory is true then it can be un-blocked just like Aang's was, allowing him to go into the Avatar State again.

28. Post #1308
    November 2009
    9,050 Posts
    Not permanent, as chakras can be reopened, but a real pain to remove.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #1309
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts

Pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

30. Post #1310
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    5,071 Posts
    Due to the nature of lightning, its use outside of specific areas (especially a stadium/tournament setting) were probably heavily regulated. And since electrical arcs follow the path of least resistance (ie: shortest distance) they were probably rather unpredictable in an urban environment.

Well who would have guessed Amon would have a pile of Shock Gloves lying around? The police merely expected chi blockers, which they were prepared for with their metal armor. Ironically it was probably that metal armor that made them even more susceptible to the tazer glove things.
    Well Amon's lieutenant did have lightning sticks (forgot the specific name of the weapon), so the possibility of mass electrical attacks was known. They were likely unprepared for the scale at which the attack took place and were expecting a more conventional attack. I'm assuming equi-tech has some sort of wire-guided missile to use against the airships which benders (and the world at large) in general would be completely unfamiliar with.

True, the metal benders were displaying "faceless-goon" tendencies when it actually came to security; such as standing with backs to doorways/crowds and not covering each other with line of sight, not to mention wearing highly conductive armour. Although forgive me for my lack of electrical knowledge, but wouldn't the metal armour offer a easier path to the ground than across a persons internal organs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

31. Post #1311
    November 2009
    9,050 Posts
    Due to the nature of lightning, its use outside of specific areas (especially a stadium/tournament setting) were probably heavily regulated. And since electrical arcs follow the path of least resistance (ie: shortest distance) they were probably rather unpredictable in an urban environment.

Well Amon's lieutenant did have lightning sticks (forgot the specific name of the weapon), so the possibility of mass electrical attacks was known. They were likely unprepared for the scale at which the attack took place and were expecting a more conventional attack. I'm assuming equi-tech has some sort of wire-guided missile to use against the airships which benders (and the world at large) in general would be completely unfamiliar with.

True, the metal benders were displaying "faceless-goon" tendencies when it actually came to security; such as standing with backs to doorways/crowds and not covering each other with line of sight, not to mention wearing highly conductive armour. Although forgive me for my lack of electrical knowledge, but wouldn't the metal armour offer a easier path to the ground than across a persons internal organs?
    Cartoon Physics laughs at your Faraday cages.

32. Post #1312
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,745 Posts

The metal benders were wearing highly conductive armor because well, they were wearing metal armor so chi-blockers wouldn't be able to block their bending. It probably would offer an easier path to the ground but the person is still in contact with it so they still get electrocuted. I really don't know, thats all I can think of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1313
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,506 Posts
    I'm really loving the series so far, it's like everything from the original Avatar but with things added on to improve the flaws in The Last Airbender. Also those Equalists fell pretty damn hard, this is a kids show but I think Linh and Korra throwing them into the ground might have killed them.

Edited:

Also    During Amon's entrance at the arena confronting Tahno I was hoping he would put up a better fight. Even though he and his teammates were douchebags I was thinking, "Hey, they might have been cheating bastards but maybe they can at least bring down at least two guys."   

34. Post #1314
    June 2008
    3,436 Posts
    If they could do that they wouldn't have had to cheat. The Wolfbats are cowering douches, not real pro-benders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #1315
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,506 Posts
    If they could do that they wouldn't have had to cheat. The Wolfbats are cowering douches, not real pro-benders.
    They cowered and cheated but their tactics in cheating was pretty ingenious. Waterbend underneath someone and flash freeze it then using firebending to turn it to steam knocking a person off their feet was dirty but smart.

36. Post #1316
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts
    Man they really don't waste time. How long has Asami been a character on this show?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #1317
    June 2010
    1,635 Posts
    Man they really don't waste time. How long has Asami been a character on this show?

Ever since episode 4, really surprising imo.

38. Post #1318
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,947 Posts
    I am constantly amazed at how fast this fandom churns out work; I've seen really high-quality artwork appearing the day of or the day after a new episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #1319
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 36Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

40. Post #1320
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,947 Posts
    Every time I think that meme's getting old, a new one comes out and it makes me laugh again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)