Yes, but only 1v1 unfortunately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #602
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    fucking done with artillery in this game it needs to go / get changed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #603
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    2,964 Posts
    fucking done with artillery in this game it needs to go / get changed
    Elaborate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #604
    November 2010
    201 Posts
    Ran into two Facepunchers in a server until it disconnected me. After that I joined some other game where one guy used nothing but arty and me and some other guy rushed their base with BMP's and BRDM's. My oh my, they were crushed quickly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #605

May 2009
    280 Posts
    Ran into two Facepunchers in a server until it disconnected me. After that I joined some other game where one guy used nothing but arty and me and some other guy rushed their base with BMP's and BRDM's. My oh my, they were crushed quickly.
    whats up, me and joey lost.

6. Post #606
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,984 Posts
    We didn't have enough Dakka to oblitrate the capitalist dogs...

7. Post #607

May 2009
    280 Posts
    More like your arty wasn't Malkas lol

8. Post #608
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,984 Posts
    True that. That and I underestimated the enemies AA Guns. Walked into the first cap-point... Flakguns. Flakguns everywhere.

9. Post #609
    November 2010
    201 Posts
    I am sorry Comrades, my internet failed me. Mind if I add you both if I remember your names.

10. Post #610
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,984 Posts
    Sure go ahead.

11. Post #611

May 2009
    280 Posts
    I just had a game where a guys entire force was gunship helicopters. Trust me, it's more OP then Arty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #612
    November 2010
    201 Posts
    Cool, what was your names again? Sorry, bad memory on my part.

13. Post #613

May 2009
    280 Posts
    Andpie1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #614
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    10,984 Posts
    JoeySkylynx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #615
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    people that spam the most expensive units just because they're expensive assuming there good
    5+ rounds and many dead abrams, M3 CFVs and apaches later, i am still standing proud, with my t55s, t62s, and bmps
    oh and infantry dont forget those homies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #616
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    people that spam the most expensive units just because they're expensive assuming there good
    5+ rounds and many dead abrams, M3 CFVs and apaches later, i am still standing proud, with my t55s, t62s, and bmps
    It seems that quantity wins over quality in this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

17. Post #617
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    I hate it so much when I play 2v2s, and my ally decides to be the "arty guy". The match then turns into WW1 basically. I don't have enough troops to attack, the enemy doesn't attack due to the ridiculous amount of arty, and it all turns into counter arty wars which is bullshit and boring as hell, as even slow arty can relocate before counter arty hits it.
    It seems that quantity wins over quality in this game.
    It all depends on how you play with your units. Last night I played with a French-only deck, used mostly vet units like Chasseurs Famas and Legion Famas, and a couple of Vab Mephistos. I destroyed the Warsaw pact guy. He'd shoot at one of my vabs, and at the same time there'd be two more Vabs charging his tanks and unloading infantry point blank before he has a chance to turn his turret. Or he'd be launcing an assault when 4 Vabs with max vet. Legionaires suddenly appear from the woods, unload, destroy all BMPs, and drive back into the woods and dissapear. French mobility is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

18. Post #618
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    I hate it so much when I play 2v2s, and my ally decides to be the "arty guy". The match then turns into WW1 basically. I don't have enough troops to attack, the enemy doesn't attack due to the ridiculous amount of arty, and it all turns into counter arty wars which is bullshit and boring as hell, as even slow arty can relocate before counter arty hits it.

It all depends on how you play with your units. Last night I played with a French-only deck, used mostly vet units like Chasseurs Famas and Legion Famas, and a couple of Vab Mephistos. I destroyed the Warsaw pact guy. He'd shoot at one of my vabs, and at the same time there'd be two more Vabs charging his tanks and unloading infantry point blank before he has a chance to turn his turret. Or he'd be launcing an assault when 4 Vabs with max vet. Legionaires suddenly appear from the woods, unload, destroy all BMPs, and drive back into the woods and dissapear. French mobility is awesome.
    I Encountered someone playing like this while doing my typical Pact thing.

I Shelled the forest apart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,132 Posts
    May have been asked already but does anyone know how the AI will work in this game?

Will you be able to party up with a buddy and skirmish against AI? Probably the last deciding factor for me wether to purchase or not. I know the game has AI when someone disconnects so I'm assuming there must be some form of AI for skirmishing...

Oh whoops, looks like it was already answered last page, bleh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

20. Post #620
    I seduce Icelandic boys
    January 2009
    647 Posts
    I Encountered someone playing like this while doing my typical Pact thing.

I Shelled the forest apart.
    This is exactly what i fear this game will turn into, arty fest, as soon as some one is using actual tactics, some one can just bombard that place to oblivion and destroy anything there without any effort at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #621
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    This is exactly what i fear this game will turn into, arty fest, as soon as some one is using actual tactics, some one can just bombard that place to oblivion and destroy anything there without any effort at all.
    but that the thing, People in REAL war would do that.

22. Post #622
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    Holding out against wave after wave of Bradleys with just T-55s in a treeline was pretty satisfying.
    But he just kept sending them...

23. Post #623
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    but that the thing, People in REAL war would do that.
    No they wouldn't, because real arty, nevermind 1985 arty, cannot target a 300m squared area of forest accurately (mortars maybe, 203mm Malkas? Not so much.) and fire within 5 seconds, and then be able to instantly adjust fire to accurately to follow the enemy's movements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #624
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    Holding out against wave after wave of Bradleys with just T-55s in a treeline was pretty satisfying.
    But he just kept sending them...
    last model t55 and t62 are fucking own
    can take on abrams and win erry day

25. Post #625
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    No they wouldn't, because real arty, nevermind 1985 arty, cannot target a 300m squared area of forest accurately (mortars maybe, 203mm Malkas? Not so much.) and fire within 5 seconds, and then be able to instantly adjust fire to accurately to follow the enemy's movements.

Not the practicality of the thing, lets be honest, if you had an artillery battery and came up against an intrenched fortified enemy position you would shell it to oblivion before approaching it.

and a 203 barrage would likely be far more powerful then it actually is in game, so you have a choice of arty that can shoot relatively accurately in an area you can see that really has to hit directly on top of units in order to kill them and even then cannot guaranty a one hit on anything except light armor and infantry or shells with a splash radius of two city blocks that flip over Challengers but take slightly longer to aim.

Edited:

last model t55 and t62 are fucking own
    can take on abrams and win erry day
    cause ATGMs and since people are idiots and don't train crews of expensive vehicles the Abrams freak out and die because they can't shoot back effectively.

Vet 2 usually can shoot Missiles with an ok degree in accuracy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #626
    August 2009
    12,392 Posts
    After reading this thread, I'm scared, very scared.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

27. Post #627
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,484 Posts
    Does anyone know if you can remove the blur?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #628
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,875 Posts
    Wow, weird how I could have missed such a large thread.

The game looks amazing.

Edited:

preordered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

29. Post #629
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    Not the practicality of the thing, lets be honest, if you had an artillery battery and came up against an intrenched fortified enemy position you would shell it to oblivion before approaching it.
    I have no problem with artillery being used to attack fortified positions, I mean that's one of the main uses of artillery. What I do have a problem with though is huge artillery batteries being able to accurately and rapidly react to any attack you make, flanking or direct. It's totally game breaking that a quick VAB attack can be destroyed by artillery that reacts to them being spotted within seconds. And not to mention the artillery wars that matches end up in when both teams have a focus on artillery.
    The cold war was the era of manoeuvre warfare, but there's no point since quick reacting artillery can take out a moving force quickly. You know artillery is broken when you defeated 2 simultaneous base rushes by Fuchs and Marders using only Malkas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #630
    November 2008
    136 Posts
    wish I had the money to preorder this :(

31. Post #631
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    I have no problem with artillery being used to attack fortified positions, I mean that's one of the main uses of artillery. What I do have a problem with though is huge artillery batteries being able to accurately and rapidly react to any attack you make, flanking or direct. It's totally game breaking that a quick VAB attack can be destroyed by artillery that reacts to them being spotted within seconds. And not to mention the artillery wars that matches end up in when both teams have a focus on artillery.
    The cold war was the era of manoeuvre warfare, but there's no point since quick reacting artillery can take out a moving force quickly. You know artillery is broken when you defeated 2 simultaneous base rushes by Fuchs and Marders using only Malkas.
    you see this is what I don't get, people getting mad over one cheap thing beating another cheap thing.

what you are suggesting is essentially light vehicle infantry rushes ruling the game by rushing up to something and unloading troops and faceraping everything and just packing back up to do it again while arty being relegated to mindlessly shelling the home points with a radius the size of mars.

Arty puts them in their place and effective use of arty can stop an advance, which is what you want it to do.

32. Post #632
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    you see this is what I don't get, people getting mad over one cheap thing beating another cheap thing.
    How are raids on artillery "cheap"? I'm not complaining about artillery in general, I'm complaining about the overpowered arty currently in this game, which turns matches into stalemates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

33. Post #633
    November 2010
    201 Posts
    Just had a game in which our entire right flank was weak and falling. While our left flank was really strong and holding well. Me and another guy decided I will push while he flanked to the right. My T-55's and T-62M's pushed forward destroying Leopard A4's and A5's. While this was all occurring I was being sure to employ the typical PACT tactic of dropping some arty on them. It was came out to be a minor victory. (Sorry I am not very good at telling war story's!)

34. Post #634
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    How are raids on artillery "cheap"? I'm not complaining about artillery in general, I'm complaining about the overpowered arty currently in this game, which turns matches into stalemates.
    the "i'm going to rush mech infantry in their zoom transports RIGHT up into their face and unload on them and theres nothing they can do about it" tactic.

if arty couldn't effectively stop that by reducing morale that then that would be over powered as they could just get a bunch of transports and rush up to ANYTHING and kill it in a matter of seconds.

35. Post #635
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts

and a 203 barrage would likely be far more powerful then it actually is in game, so you have a choice of arty that can shoot relatively accurately in an area you can see that really has to hit directly on top of units in order to kill them and even then cannot guaranty a one hit on anything except light armor and infantry or shells with a splash radius of two city blocks that flip over Challengers but take slightly longer to aim.
    I would much rather have that. Sure artillery would be devastating, but it wouldn't be at all easy to just change targets and halt any kind of advance in a whim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

36. Post #636
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,460 Posts
    Reading the arty discussion in here. And then Wargame was World of Tanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #637
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,743 Posts
    I would much rather have that. Sure artillery would be devastating, but it wouldn't be at all easy to just change targets and halt any kind of advance in a whim.
    point is you wouldn't need to change targets because one barrage would take out your entire force.

imaging 8 squads of mech infantry in their transports zooming across a road dead in one salvo, that would be even more annoying.

38. Post #638
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts
    14 BMPs + 14 FAGOT AT Infantry + 4 Shilkas

Congratulations you can now conduct an Iwo Jima-esque defense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #639
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    January 2007
    2,682 Posts
    I much prefer mortars to artillery. Much more accurate and less supply intensive, and they still fuck up infantry and route armoured vehicles.

40. Post #640
    October 2010
    331 Posts
    the "i'm going to rush mech infantry in their zoom transports RIGHT up into their face and unload on them and theres nothing they can do about it" tactic.

if arty couldn't effectively stop that by reducing morale that then that would be over powered as they could just get a bunch of transports and rush up to ANYTHING and kill it in a matter of seconds.
    Umm, cavalry charges is/was an actual part of mechanized warfare. It's sort of what Mechanized infantry were for. If you don't have enough firepower to repel the assault, pull back to a second line/better position and arty your first position if range/accuracy/time allows. I'm not saying artillery should be removed, just nerfed in some way to make it more realistic. Like for example it would only have corrected fire if there were actual spotter units like dedicated recon or special forces in place, or more ammo consumption.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)