1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Hmm...one thing about that preview concerned me: "If you hit a BMP-2 personnel carrier with a Leopard tank, for instance, it will get stunned as the crew has to recover from the shell's impact, and will probably route shortly afterwards." The vehicles won't have HP, will they? Because that's sort of what this makes it sound like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,051 Posts
    I don't really mind vehicle HP as long as it's handled right. Men of War is one of the most realistic RTS games with tank combat, and the tanks have hidden HP values but you don't even notice it because it's handled well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Rock Paper Shotgun just did a feature:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...e-day-wargame/

Edited:

Anything's good as long it's not the conventional "whittle down the health bar to kill it" of RTS games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Finally, some gameplay footage! No sound though.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,051 Posts
    I wonder if the game will have real urban fighting in Berlin or something, not just small villages. Either way it looks really smooth and nice so far, I just hope there's no vehicle health bars.

Edited:

That island with the bridges in the middle looks like such a deathtrap once someone blows up two bridges and starts spamming artillery or MLRS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    I wonder if the game will have real urban fighting in Berlin or something, not just small villages. Either way it looks really smooth and nice so far, I just hope there's no vehicle health bars.
    While the Soviets would have certainly avoided major urban centers in their offensive plans, Berlin was something that would have certainly been factored in. However, I would argue that since urban warfare is of a different nature than the large-scale operational-level mechanized actions of the German countryside, it would be difficult for a game like Wargame to depict the complexities and the low level-centered combat of the urban environment. Games like Men of War do that better, I think.

That island with the bridges in the middle looks like such a deathtrap once someone blows up two bridges and starts spamming artillery or MLRS.
    Counter-battery fire, and maybe if Eugen is hardcore enough, some bridging engineers. Besides, one doesn't have unlimited ammunition for his artillery. He could be battering away at those bridges—and wasting his ammo while an unpleasant surprise appears on his flanks or in his rear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    New screens:

9. Post #129
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    Less fields, more varied terrain.

plz.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Like what?

11. Post #131
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    Hills at least?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

12. Post #132
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Yes, there are hills. Even in the open German plains it's not flat like a billiards ball table.

13. Post #133
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts
    Well, good to hear, because this reminds me of RUSE with all maps being farms fields and plains, no height difference at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Well, don't expect something like the Golan Heights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    I like the look of the ERA on the T-80Bs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Those are actually T-64BVs since the infrared light is on the right side of the gun, but those frontal track covers are kinda saying "T-80" at me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Hahah oh wow I completely missed the searchlight until I read that and scrolled back up to look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #138
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    Looks pretty nice. RUSE was quite good imo (though USSR was a bit weak and Japan was so OP, it needed some rebalances).

Can't wait to try out USSR side with their T-64s and Shilkas.

Also I hope that it will have T-72,T-80 and Tunguska aswell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    IIRC, Ubisoft shackled RUSE and cut off Eugen's support shortly after release. But Wargame is a different game. When I asked someone who actually played W:EE on its realism, he said "it makes RUSE look like a cartoon", so that's a good sign.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    9,067 Posts
    Less fields, more cities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    They need to reveal information about units already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,958 Posts
    They need to reveal information about units already.
    Not much to reveal if they're going by realistic specs. I just want to see how in-depth it will be with the armor and armaments of AFVs, helicopters, and how damage/crew injuries will be handled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,549 Posts
    Less fields, more cities.
    Very little fighting would be done in cities, due to both sides recognizing the huge toll it would take on both the armies and the civilians (think Stalingrad, only with modern weaponry.) Towns, on the other hand, would see a great deal of combat most likely, and it seems there are plenty of towns in here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Cities are the least ideal place where you want a mechanized force to operate. To take a historical example from the Eastern Front, during Operation Bagration in Summer 1944, General Pavel Rotmistrov--commander of the 5th Guards Tank Army committed a tank corps against Vilnius, which slowed his rate of advance, caused avoidable casualties and the blunder contributed to his being kicked upstairs.

In short, heading into cities will slow down your tempo/rate of advance. Not a good idea if you want to defeat your opponent as rapidly as you can.

I think games like Men of War or Company of Heroes do city combat quite well enough. On the other hand, haven't we had enough of urban fighting in the last few years' worth of shooters set in "modern warfare"?

So far we've only seen a very tiny bit of the maps.

Good point on the towns, hurts. I have been told by a retired intelligence officer that towns and cities in the North German Plain were spaced 30-45 kilometers with driving times of 40-45 minutes. Uelzen had low buildings with wide main roads which would be hard to block by demolishing the town. Celle had old buildings with wide streets and complex road network for bypassing. The numerous multilane roads around Hannover would have facilitated rapid maneuver through the area.

Steam Group is up:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

25. Post #145
    April 2010
    2,432 Posts
    Where can you download the beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    I wonder if they will ever release public beta like they did with RUSE.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    They will this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #148
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    They will this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Not much to reveal if they're going by realistic specs. I just want to see how in-depth it will be with the armor and armaments of AFVs, helicopters, and how damage/crew injuries will be handled.
    That makes me wonder, if there's a vehicle that was a hunk of junk in reality (e.g. M60A2) then will it be junk in the game too?

30. Post #150
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    This music should be fitting when playing as USSR :

31. Post #151
    Hoping this will be as good as WIC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,051 Posts
    Hoping this will be as good as WIC
    Plot probably won't be, but gameplay so far is looking superior
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    I do know that the alternate history scenarios won't be as outrageous like WiC's Soviets suddenly having the capability to land a large mechanized formation + air support + logistical sustainment on the American West Coast.

34. Post #154
    Plot probably won't be, but gameplay so far is looking superior
    There will be soldiers and air support right? Hopefully we will get good mods. I hate how Massive gave mod tools, and nobody used them. Shame there aren't any good mods in WIC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #155
    April 2010
    1,993 Posts
    There will be soldiers and air support right? Hopefully we will get good mods. I hate how Massive gave mod tools, and nobody used them. Shame there aren't any good mods in WIC.
    There was some mod called "Modern Warfare"    Nope , not CoD    released like 4-5 months ago (I am probably wrong) , http://www.moddb.com/mods/wicmw

36. Post #156
    There was some mod called "Modern Warfare"    Nope , not CoD    released like 4-5 months ago (I am probably wrong) , http://www.moddb.com/mods/wicmw
    Yeah, that's the only good mod. Still, its a shame the modding community is doing anything about WIC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,358 Posts
    I really hope they make Artillery do damage on tanks and shootable on empty terrain this time.

I hated I couldn't deny enemy movement with artillery in RUSE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,597 Posts
    Any updates on this game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

39. Post #159
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    please us doctor tac
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,085 Posts
    Open beta is now pushed back to October.

Edited:

And there's another preview:

http://www.gaminglives.com/2011/09/1...ation-preview/