1. Post #1
    April 2010
    1,838 Posts
    [h2]If you're planning to sleep, I recommend not to watch the videos, listen to the sound, or play the map.[/h2]

Wiki for all the info: http://foundonthetapearg.wikia.com/w...hetapearg_Wiki

A post came up in reddit

Okay, here's a weird video.
    In the middle, there's a very rapid string of characters. I downloaded the video and slowed it down, getting the hex string 74696E7975726C2E636F6D2F4256552D383030
    Converted to ASCII, it resolves to *********com/BVU-800?. Remove the ? and here you go.
    It links to a file called foundonthetape_1.bsp on Megaupload.com. It is a TF2 map. Drop it into your /maps folder and open it up. Look up, turn on noclip and fly up... If it does something crazy, do me a favor and be ready to take a screenshot and record the sound then upload it. It's all pretty freaky and it looks like there's some further data hidden in the sound and picture file that pops up shortly...
    Proof that I got here first... But I'll let someone else upload a good picture BECAUSE SCREW Y'ALL THAT'S WHY ;P (Actually I've never played TF2 and have no friggin' idea what I'm doing in the Dev Console. You guys do better.)
    Frankly, my money is on Valve dropping Half-Life 3 soon. Nevermind why :D
    When I hit the checkerboard with a blue-team infantry, it flipped out and gave me a crazy sound and picture; didn't capture it 'cause I didn't know what I was doing. Sorry. PLEASE upload good copies of them ASAP, and if you can decompile .bsp files and extract the raw files themselves, even better! If you can do that, PM me and I'll just email you the file.
    Cheers...
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/iyr59/arg_for_something_new_maybe_from_valve_heres_a/

So he was able to converted hex string of the video to ASCII and took him to a megaupload download which is a HL2 .bsp file

Here are the videos

Warning: Screamer

The map: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9CGZM98J
    Notice it's the same map name as the user who post the first two videos.

The sounds files and picture http://bj0.org/mapmystery/

What do you think guys?

EDIT:
    A second map was reveled

Map:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3JLYPG9M
    PROOF OF VALIDITY OF MAP:

EDIT:
    Another video has been posted

A cipher in the video is deciphered using this key:

Edit:
    Another map: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YXIGHUJO
    The trap door the video used and in the map also.
    http://i.imgur.com/7Zs5U.gif

Emails are sent to foundonthetape@gmail.com that say TAPEONTHE and ten people are designated "selected canidates [sic]":

1. Dazzozo
    2. kolya
    3. Chaotic Lord
    4. Pacmanz
    5. TALIFAG
    6. SpartanBlackman
    7. mikolah
    8. -Cobalt-
    9. HetsuProcyon
    10. popostee

For a short period, the email was returning autoresponses that said "found 10/10".
    They all got the 3rd map from a Megaupload link

EDIT:
    4th map reveled
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BXXC8LR0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic x 45Dumb x 11Disagree x 5Funny x 3Agree x 3Informative x 2Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I LOVE ANIME AND MAGICAL GIRLS BUT DONT TELL ANYONE
    January 2008
    11,758 Posts
    valve args start in valve games so we are always 100 percent sure that it's an official arg

but this is
    uh

well I'm p sure its a reddit-powered prank
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 115Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    Uhh what the hellllllll is with this map. You noclip out of the weird black and white room and... why does it do that? Why doesn't it stop?

Man this map is weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,925 Posts
    obviously not a real valve arg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 82Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    Reminds me of all those weird 'ghost videos' for horror movies, where there's ~~ghost~~ in the static or there's some ancient heavily damaged video that is the mystery and its solution. Except, in map form.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2010
    1,838 Posts
    I say it will be most likely a mod. Surely there very optimistic people thinking it will be a new valve game.
    *cough*Ep.3*cough*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    rrerr~
    January 2009
    3,457 Posts
    creepy, It would be fitting because iirc valve said they were going for a horror approach in a ep3 or some other game. I'm trying to not be too optimistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 34Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    568 Posts
    oh shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Sock the Foot Cloth
    Dennab
    November 2010
    1,952 Posts
    I'm going to be keeping an eye on the Reddit thread for a while, this is very intriguing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    Spoiler: It's a promotion for a fan-made mod someone is trying to promote by parodying the Valve ARG style you can all go home now

Edited:

I am 99% certain this is the answer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 49Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    568 Posts
    Spoiler: It's a promotion for a fan-made mod someone is trying to promote by parodying the Valve ARG style you can all go home now

Edited:

I am 99% certain this is the answer
    well im downloading that mod cause they did good job on this for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Zing Zing x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,081 Posts
    Fascinating but highly unlikely Valve's work

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    107 Posts
    Sorry gentlemen, but how did that guy find those videos?
    Did he just randomly watched one of the billions videos on Youtube, and decided to convert some random numbers to ASCII code, while the video hinted nothing?
    Sounds reasonable enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2010
    2,900 Posts
    Not Valve's style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    533 Posts
    I think this is Valve. Just a hunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    107 Posts
    I think this is Valve. Just a hunch.
    We all hope you are correct.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    540 Posts
    Valve or not, I'm excited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 32Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Turns out to be a Valve ARG and when the big revealing clue comes about...
    SURPRISE!!!

Left 4 Dead 3, now featuring ghosts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 76Optimistic x 1Agree x 1Winner x 1Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    November 2008
    1,314 Posts
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...07&postcount=9

This is fan-made and does not relate to Ep3.
    Says Smash the mod from SPUF. Unfortunate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    November 2010
    5,285 Posts
    Its too creepy to be Valve made. I knew it wasn't real.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    9,931 Posts
    Whatever this is, a HL2 mod, a game, a movie or something, i'll watch/play it. Looks interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    I LIKE BIG DUCKS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER QUACKS CAN'T DENY
    December 2008
    13,391 Posts
    Whatever this is, a HL2 mod, a game, a movie or something, i'll watch/play it. Looks interesting.
    I won't I will be to freaked out to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2008
    886 Posts
    WOW, I REALLY wanted to sleep after my 3 hour flight but now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,945 Posts
    If it weren't for the fact that one of the videos (the screamer one) is in the source engine I'd suspect this of being an ARG for Cry Of Fear (aka Afraid of Monsters 2 )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    rrerr~
    January 2009
    3,457 Posts
    Sorry gentlemen, but how did that guy find those videos?
    Did he just randomly watched one of the billions videos on Youtube, and decided to convert some random numbers to ASCII code, while the video hinted nothing?
    Sounds reasonable enough.
    someone made a post on reddit that said "some teen brought in some VHS tapes for us to digitize. this was on the second one"

then someone decoded the shit and whatever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

26. Post #26
    Rikimaru is the best agility hero in Dota 2
    June 2011
    1,882 Posts
    Welp, My friend just tried out the map, You cant move AT ALL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2009
    9,931 Posts
    New edit to the reddit post:
    Well then. It's a Base 64 -> ASCII. It reads as follows:
    Help%20is%20coming%20Gordon%2C%20you%20are%20not%2 0alone.%20
    Don't know if we're being screwed with at this point...

28. Post #28
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,569 Posts
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...07&postcount=9

Says Smash the mod from SPUF. Unfortunate.
    Could be a ruse:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...eres_a/c27rwyd

I would have to say "foundonthetape's" profile is partnered, I saw an ad on both videos, YouTube only partners people who:
    actually have a sufficient amount of views/subscribers (this account doesn't)
    or companies that request a partnership, cough Valve cough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 21 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2010
    533 Posts
    Pretty sure it's a ruse. How would a volunteer SPUF moderator know if it's Valve or not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,349 Posts
    I really hope this is something Valve related, but i doubt it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    Pretty sure it's a ruse. How would a volunteer SPUF moderator know if it's Valve or not?
    i still don't know what to think of you after the portal 2 arg thing bro, just saying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Didn't Gabe say in an interview that the next Half-Life game was going to be scary? What about all that wacked-out concept art that was at Valve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Late Late x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2008
    886 Posts
    If this is an ARG, i'm not sure I want to be a part of it. During the portal 2 ARG, I was up all night with those guys. This will not end well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2010
    533 Posts
    i still don't know what to think of you after the portal 2 arg thing bro, just saying
    Don't worry, i'm in the same boat as you guys this time around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2009
    1,136 Posts
    Don't worry, i'm in the same boat as you guys this time around.
    For now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    533 Posts
    I really doubt they'd ask me or any of the other nine to do this a second time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Well...These are creepy. When I saw that pale-faced, long-haired, armless thing wandering towards the camera I kinda freaked out. Then there was the fat woman who looked up at the celing or somethign and sees the weird smashed-up face...At that point I didn't even have the guts to watch the "Screamer" one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2010
    5,285 Posts
    Didn't Gabe say in an interview that the next Half-Life game was going to be scary? What about all that wacked-out concept art that was at Valve?
    They said most of the game would be similar to Ravenholm. So yes, some horror, but more of a feel of desperation and isolation I would think. Although Dougley has a good point, I am still doubtful this is a valve ARG. It just does not fit their style.

But, my friend told me yesterday that in an EP2 update there was a sound added named "data" which had some weird noise in it. Was he fucking with me or did it really happen? I didn't look into it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,569 Posts
    -gah fuck late-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    I really doubt they'd ask me or any of the other nine to do this a second time.
    ...but you were the only one that was called out as explicitly not part of it :|

Edited:

but that's a different story for another day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events