1. Post #81
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    My god. I thought people who brought MOLLE vests and shit when they urbex were full retard, but you actually bring fucking PASGT armor with you.
    Thanks for your comment I be sure to file it away in my DILLIGAF file for future reference, aka the trash can. If you wish to comment further please by all means, continue to suck wind.

like 4 flashlights and night vision? And it seems like you're saying the ~~official~~ designations to seem like pro or something.
    And seriously? PASGT? why the shit would you need "camouflage" properties, if you get caught thats gonna make it seem terrible. Why would you need crowbar, wire cutter, bolt cutter, flare, survivalkit, ALICE pack, and MREs.
    You arent supposed to break and enter.
    A survival kit is made for like building fires and shit to survive, wouldn't you be in like close contact to civilization?
    Why would you want a lighter, I cannot think of a reason to make a fire inside of a building.
    This isn't like bear grylls shit, its going to a building, snapping some pics and leaving.
    you didn't even mention bringing a camera

Edited:

For some reason i think you're a person who tried helping and got over imaginative and used all the official names to make yourself seem knowledgeable.
    Pro...LMAO. Yeah I want to seem like pro about this, it's things I carry in an situation where I'm outside the normal parameters of society.

Camouflage, is used to prevent detection and or capture...not for use after the fact. I have yet to be seen and or caught, then again I don't go off screaming into empty buildings so I can hear my voice echo.

Breaking and Entering? They're tools for use in the event something catastrophic happened (i.e. partial building collapse) and I had to GTFO.

As far as breaking and entering, you've already committed the crime of Trespassing. Someone or some entity owns the building or property you're Urbexing on, meaning you're Trespassing. They could also toss a lot of pages out of the book at you if they wanted, Destruction of Private or Public Property, Theft, ect... So regardless of what you bring, your ass is already toast in the aspect of legality. (As far as trespassing on military property...go ahead and do it, that's when the law starts taking chunks out of your ass end).

As far as the survival kit and "lighter" it's for the same purpose as the tools, in the event of something catastrophic, purely prep items if "something bad" happened, not primary employable items.

Armor can be very useful, it's until you've been in a situation where something has actually stabbed you (i.e. falling rebar) or you've run into some unsavory characters who brandish a firearm, then it's an understandable piece to bring with. (I didn't see you all attacking the moron who mentioned bringing a firearm Urbexing...yeah armor is something just "oh so horrible and bad in appearance", but a firearm, yeah that doesn't send a bad message to the authorities if you're caught).

I imagine the majority of Urbexing on this forum isn't really Urbexing, but more so just trespassing, gigging about it while snapping some pictures so you can run and post it to a forum where everyone can giggle and share their stories about how they did the same thing, now that's ever so pro.

Yeah, Urban Spelunking is fun and amusing but anything "pro". As far as my use of "official designations" it's a habit that's dying hard.

Apparently I joined a forum of trolls and kiddies who think Urbexing is going outside and snapping pictures of pretty buildings and on occasion slipping over a fence to sneak around some ruins.

It's funny, the majority jumps my back because I made a detailed listning of my carry items, but the debate of what flashlight and respirator continues on unabated by what appears to be resident trolls and aficionados.

If you don't like my posts or what I carry, I offer this one piece of simplistic advice...blow me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

2. Post #82
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #83
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    If you don't like my posts or what I carry, I offer this one piece of simplistic advice...blow me.
    i'd rather respectfully disagree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #84
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    Oh fuck, you've figured out my whole scheme. If my intention had been to "seem pro" and "badass" it apparently butthurt enough wannabes around here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

5. Post #85
    About as smart and adept as a pile of turds
    January 2010
    3,466 Posts
    My point is, I don't think its a good idea to urbex if you're going to have to do all that shit. Jsut for enjoyment it seems like a waste of money to buy shit just to go look in some old place with some asbestos.

6. Post #86
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    Oh fuck, you've figured out my whole scheme. If my intention had been to "seem pro" and "badass" it apparently butthurt enough wannabes around here.
    nah mate

I just think you're a fuckwit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    January 2010
    3,466 Posts
    Thanks for your comment I be sure to file it away in my DILLIGAF file for future reference, aka the trash can. If you wish to comment further please by all means, continue to suck wind.

Pro...LMAO. Yeah I want to seem like pro about this, it's things I carry in an situation where I'm outside the normal parameters of society.

Camouflage, is used to prevent detection and or capture...not for use after the fact. I have yet to be seen and or caught, then again I don't go off screaming into empty buildings so I can hear my voice echo.

Breaking and Entering? They're tools for use in the event something catastrophic happened (i.e. partial building collapse) and I had to GTFO.

As far as breaking and entering, you've already committed the crime of Trespassing. Someone or some entity owns the building or property you're Urbexing on, meaning you're Trespassing. They could also toss a lot of pages out of the book at you if they wanted, Destruction of Private or Public Property, Theft, ect... So regardless of what you bring, your ass is already toast in the aspect of legality. (As far as trespassing on military property...go ahead and do it, that's when the law starts taking chunks out of your ass end).

As far as the survival kit and "lighter" it's for the same purpose as the tools, in the event of something catastrophic, purely prep items if "something bad" happened, not primary employable items.

Armor can be very useful, it's until you've been in a situation where something has actually stabbed you (i.e. falling rebar) or you've run into some unsavory characters who brandish a firearm, then it's an understandable piece to bring with. (I didn't see you all attacking the moron who mentioned bringing a firearm Urbexing...yeah armor is something just "oh so horrible and bad in appearance", but a firearm, yeah that doesn't send a bad message to the authorities if you're caught).

I imagine the majority of Urbexing on this forum isn't really Urbexing, but more so just trespassing, gigging about it while snapping some pictures so you can run and post it to a forum where everyone can giggle and share their stories about how they did the same thing, now that's ever so pro.

Yeah, Urban Spelunking is fun and amusing but anything "pro". As far as my use of "official designations" it's a habit that's dying hard.

Apparently I joined a forum of trolls and kiddies who think Urbexing is going outside and snapping pictures of pretty buildings and on occasion slipping over a fence to sneak around some ruins.

It's funny, the majority jumps my back because I made a detailed listning of my carry items, but the debate of what flashlight and respirator continues on unabated by what appears to be resident trolls and aficionados.

What is "something bad" that could require a lighter? If you're at risk of being shot or stabbed, I think your version of urbexing is not the same as ours, so you should not give the people in the thread advice for your urbexing.
    The version of urbexing people in this thread have is apparently far different than yours, and apparently according to you inferior.
    Basically, don't give advice on the urbexing you don't do, I think your urbexing is too dangerous to enjoy, you shouldn't have to worry about getting killed in a hobby.
    And just wondering, what kind of camo do you wear? Because aren't most military camos for being not seen in like foliage and stuff, not dark buildings?
    You spend all this effort on protecting yourself from people but don't carry a gun or something?

Edited:

Do you wear just the vest, or do you use SAPI?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    My point is, I don't think its a good idea to urbex if you're going to have to do all that shit. Jsut for enjoyment it seems like a waste of money to buy shit just to go look in some old place with some asbestos.
    Majorly it's items I've had for years, most left over from a SAR career I got out of and then most of it was free.

I can tell the majority of Urbex'ers here are "light". A good portion of cities in the US are sub-terrainian with miles of tunnels, shafts, crossways, empty aqueducts, ect... that's where I tend to explore. One of my specialties was urban search and rescue, I was working on confined space and structural rope rescue when I left.

If you don't like me posting about it, then how about a simple PM to me?

Jumping all over someone because they do something differently isn't generally met with openness from the offended party, especially when they're new to your forum.

What is "something bad" that could require a lighter? If you're at risk of being shot or stabbed, I think your version of urbexing is not the same as ours, so you should not give the people in the thread advice for your urbexing.
    The version of urbexing people in this thread have is apparently far different than yours, and apparently according to you inferior.
    Basically, don't give advice on the urbexing you don't do, I think your urbexing is too dangerous to enjoy, you shouldn't have to worry about getting killed in a hobby.
    And just wondering, what kind of camo do you wear? Because aren't most military camos for being not seen in like foliage and stuff, not dark buildings?
    You spend all this effort on protecting yourself from people but don't carry a gun or something?

Edited:

Do you wear just the vest, or do you use SAPI?
    A lighter would for the sole purpose of fire starting and nor for nefarious reason. It can get very cold and fire is the most universal and expedient way to warm yourself, plus it can be used to cook and keep away unwanted critters.

Urbexing is actually something that's been around for decades (under the term "Urban Spelunking"), there are groups that get together and do it. I'm not into groups and it's not something I don't a a regular basis, it's more so a hobby I do when I have the time.

I don't find lighter Urbexing inferior or stupid. I didn't attack anyone until I was attacked and quite on a personal level at that.

Hence personal opinion, you don't think it's a enjoyable way to have a hobby. I think otherwise. Urbexing is dangerous to beginning with, exploring damaged, unoccupied and or condemned buildings can be dangerous and illegal. At any time a buildings structural support could give, collapsing and killing or entrapping you. Buildings are left unoccupied or closed for a reason, usually because of structural damage or age and the building has been deemed unsafe, no different than walking railroad tracks. I could die from inhaling the paint fumes I use to paint my model railroad engines with, death is a constant. Just more so in some situations.

I have done plenty of more common Urbexing, just a camera, light and normal dress. Not much to expound on outside that I use my Android, a Mini-Mag and I usual wear jeans because it's what I wear normally.

What attracted me was the talk of respirators, equipment and the like. Thought I'd just make a list of the things I carried with me when I go into an all out day exploration.

There is a slew of camouflage that are designed for Urban areas, M81 Urban, NWU, MARPAT Urban, Urban Tiger Stripes, UCP, Urban Track, ASAT, ect... conflicts don't happen in just jungles and deserts. I usually wear M81 Woodland. The purpose of camouflage isn't to "disappear" but to blend in with you surroundings, break-up the human outline. The mix of color helps confuse the eyes into blending the colors in with the surrounding environment, whether it is foliage or a building.

Carrying a gun is a big deal. It is illegal a lot of cities, it requires addition space and adds weight, then if you did shoot someone you have to report it, deal with the mental aspects of having shot another human being and then possibly face time in court. The armor is merely a preventive method, not a direct action against an aggressor, a gun ins't going to stop me from begins shot, but armor helps increase my survivability of against both projectiles and falling objects.

I'd never wear SAPI, most SAPI are designed to stop larger small caliber projectiles or made to stop blunt force trauma (which can kill all on it's own without need of armor penetration). PASGT uses Kevlar which is a soft armor and only rated against handgun threats, it's ballistic NIJ rating is IIIA. Most SAPI are rated at III or IV (rifle threats). PASGT isn't even designed to carry SAPI, the ISAPO was made to supplement for the lack of SAPI in PASGT and I'm not going to walk around in hard armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #89
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    You assume a majority of the 'urbexers' here are "light'

Little presumptious aren't you? SAR background gotten you a little on your high horse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    January 2010
    3,466 Posts
    Why TL122s? They're from ww2 and seem more to collect than use. They use bulbs so they're weaker and break more than new flashlights.

Edited:

Well if most urbexers here are "light" Than why give them "heavy" advice.

Edited:

And still
    -How much does your PASGT weigh all together
    -How much stuff do you put on your ALICE
    -How are you going to avoid getting caught using "BDU and ACU" BDU was woodland and desert, ACU was UCP
    -Why TL122s when new flashlights are better and don't burn out bulbs
    -How many MREs do you take?
    -What kind of situation are you going to use a lighter in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    You assume a majority of the 'urbexers' here are "light'

Little presumptious aren't you? SAR background gotten you a little on your high horse
    I assumed this majorly because you acted as if you been touched by some with AIDS and ran screaming into the night.

My background? Hardly, I didn't seek out to be attacked, you seemed to not have a need to cause provocation because you simply disliked what I had posted. Do you meet all you dislikes like that or just when you think it seems cool to others?

12. Post #92
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,837 Posts
    this has to be the most posts this subforum has seen since it was created.

I just don't really see what you have to gain from lugging around all that military-grade stuff. If you do not wish to accept the risks involved, carrying around enough equipment to survive a zombie apocalypse, nuclear war, and global pandemic at the same time does little more than increase the likelihood that someone will call a SWAT team in thinking there's some sort of raid going on. Really? A survival kit? We're not in the wilderness...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    Double post.

Edited:

I just don't really see what you have to gain from lugging around all that military-grade stuff. If you do not wish to accept the risks involved, carrying around enough equipment to survive a zombie apocalypse, nuclear war, and global pandemic at the same time does little more than increase the likelihood that someone will call a SWAT team in thinking there's some sort of raid going on. Really? A survival kit? We're not in the wilderness...
    I'll address your post later, I'm going out with friends for dinner tonight.

@ oakman26

I'd answered your post but it seems this forum has an auto-trim for dupe posts and I had tried fixing my double post...which then deleted my original post to you. I'll retype it when I get back from dinner.

14. Post #94
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,825 Posts
    Sorry, but UCP sucks balls unless it's real dirty.
    Why the fuck would you wear a PASGT vest? It's for shit like shrapnel, even then it's heavy.
    Even in buildings and MOUT terrain, unless you hiding in a bush, there's a good chance you can be seen, inside a building especially.
    I can understand MRE's, but to be honest, they're semi pricey, and you could just pack shit in a tupperware container.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,083 Posts
    Honestly I don't see much of a point in lugging around all that military gear - simple backpack and thick sweater and a couple tools should be fine unless you're fucking urbexing area 51 or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

16. Post #96
    I don't Urbex but if i did i'd take boots, A thick jacket, Leather gloves(With latex inside for liquid prevention), Possibly a small pocket multitool, a very powerful torch, and a hoody under the jacket.

Edited:

Oh and a Respirator OFC. When i can be arsed i might go check out a building nearby, It's an old office/factory combo, But it has asbestos and i do not want cancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    Why TL122s? They're from ww2 and seem more to collect than use. They use bulbs so they're weaker and break more than new flashlights.

Edited:

Well if most urbexers here are "light" Than why give them "heavy" advice.

Edited:

And still
    -How much does your PASGT weigh all together
    -How much stuff do you put on your ALICE
    -How are you going to avoid getting caught using "BDU and ACU" BDU was woodland and desert, ACU was UCP
    -Why TL122s when new flashlights are better and don't burn out bulbs
    -How many MREs do you take?
    -What kind of situation are you going to use a lighter in?

I prefer the TL122 family (this includes the MX-99 model of the TL122 family), I find them more ergonomical over other lights, I like that they have a spare bulb included in the light and can be changed simply without taking up much time or effort (which LED's do not), they're durable (70 years of testament to the design), the TL122 is still even in military issue (I've seen both TL122 and MX-99 in MCSS for sale), they're waterproof, shockproof and are cheap to replace if lost or damaged.

If my post was mistaken for advice I would request that anyone who took it as such please disregard it as that. I posted merely what I take Urbexing, nothing more. I also didn't realize how many Urbex's did or didn't participate in a "light" or "heavy" form until recently. (Urbexing isn't a overly common hobby, much less is the kind I have done)

PASGT weights around 10lb's (with the addition of a ISAPO it's around 45lb's, I don't use a ISAPO, nor do I own one), they also designed to work with LBE, LBV, MOLLE, ALICE, ect... so it can be integrated into nearly all types of web gear systems. I recently acquired a lighter, smaller vest made by "Second Chance" I'll be using rather than the PASGT.

BDU and ACU are uniform layout designs, rather than camouflage types. The BDU comes in a wide array of camouflage patterns, from M81 Woodland to UCP. ACU comes in a wide variety as well, UCP to M81 Woodland. I'm partial to M81 Woodland because I've successfully used it in both Urban and Woodland areas during the day and night.

As commented above, I just prefer the TL122. Habit and just purely something I find to be a good design.

One or two, one meal is enough to supplement three meals worth of calories.

Depends, it's not something I'd use as a normal item. Something like a catastrophic collapse of a shaft, tunnel or building with no immediate exit available and extensive traveling and I needed to make a fire. It helps to save on batteries in flashlights, provides warmth, something to cook over, and keeps away unwanted critters and animals that may be around. (I have a sterno and other items that can burn long and put out quite a bit of heat.)

All of my gear was free of cost me almost nothing.

As I said previously, it's a matter of opinion. I accept the risks, it's why I carry what I do.

You're going to need a lot more than what I carry to survive something such as a Radiological Event (yet another one of my areas I was trained in) or a Global Pandemic, Zombie Apocalypse would probably fall under "Global Pandemic".

I always carry ID and SWAT doesn't have a special number to be called. If the local Law Enforcement was called (which would happen anyway if you were seen trespassing on private property) a normal Duty Officer would be sent to investigate the call, if he deemed it something abnormal then he would contact his Precinct with a "SWAT Advisory". To prevent being seen or having a situation happen I tend to stay out of open areas, down low and always maintain "Situational Awareness" of my surroundings. If I'm seen and I do see a "Black and White" I immediately and quickly enact my G.O.O.D plan.

Urban Survival was a very big part of my training, surviving isn't just a wilderness trait. If you think otherwise I advise you to research the matter, I'm more than certain you'll be met with many manuals, booklets, documents both Military and Civilian that expound on the subject material in question.

Sorry, but UCP sucks balls unless it's real dirty.
    Why the fuck would you wear a PASGT vest? It's for shit like shrapnel, even then it's heavy.
    Even in buildings and MOUT terrain, unless you hiding in a bush, there's a good chance you can be seen, inside a building especially.
    I can understand MRE's, but to be honest, they're semi pricey, and you could just pack shit in a tupperware container.
    Yet again a matter of personal opinion (there are also different styles of the UCP outside of the Army's design).

PASGT is Body Armor, so is IBA, Dragon Skin, ect... PASGT is equivalent to NIJ Level-IIIA Standard (military vests aren't rated against non-military caliber (such as .44 Mag or .357 Mag) even IBA isn't technically rated by NIJ standards), as I mention once before in a post level-IIIA will protect against most handgun threats. 10lb's is weighty, but when compared to IBA at 30lbs or other armor at 45lbs.

If buildings lack light or don't have any back light (i.e. ambient light passing through windows opposite to them) then you chances of being seen are reduced, with the addition of camouflage and practicing common sense (i.e. not walking in front of windows or past open doors, staying out of lit areas, sticking to shadows, ect...) your chances of being seen are reduced even further. As I mention before, camouflage isn't designed to make you "invisible", but designed to help break-up the human outline and help you blend into the surroundings. Black is not a naturally found color in nature, but M81 Woodland has black in it's pattern.

There is also a slew of camouflage that are designed to be used in a MOUT environment (T-Pat, MARPAT Woodland, M81 Urban, ect... to name a few).

I don't pay for my MRE's and if I did they'd be fairly priced. As far as packing tupperware, you have to then carry a utensil, no way to heat the food and the chances of the tupperware open and spilling are greater, then you must also carry the container after you've eaten (tupperware is bulky and if you don't want your food mixed together then you'd need separate containers. MRE's are designed to fit in a cargo pocket, come with everything including condiments, drink powder, toilet paper, Magnesium heater, ect.. contain enough calories to supplement three meals, are entirely disposable and ergonomically designed.

Honestly I don't see much of a point in lugging around all that military gear - simple backpack and thick sweater and a couple tools should be fine unless you're fucking urbexing area 51 or something
    Yet again a matter of personal opinion. If you Urbex'ed in areas I have you may feel differently. Better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it. Had I always followed that rule I may have saved myself some trouble in the past.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,083 Posts
    seriously though, why wear ballistic protection. cvc helmet is plain silly; imean it's what tank crewmen wear

you urbex in fort knox or what because you seriously sound like this fool right here:

19. Post #99
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    seriously though, why wear ballistic protection. cvc helmet is plain silly; imean it's what tank crewmen wear

you urbex in fort knox or what because you seriously sound like this fool right here:
    What?

We're talking about PASGT-V, not CVC-H. Unless you're mixing up PASGT-H with CVC-H, in which case the discussion isn't about headgear, it's about vests.

You sound like this fool right here:

20. Post #100
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,083 Posts
    What?

We're talking about PASGT-V, not CVC-H. Unless you're mixing up PASGT-H with CVC-H, in which case the discussion isn't about headgear, it's about vests.

You sound like this fool right here:

interesting, as I was under the impression you wore a CVC with a pasgt vest because thw first thing I'd think of is the helmet much like if someone hears pasgt

anyways that's exactly what I intend to sound like because wearing full camoflage and ballistic vest? i'm pretty sure the authorities would pester you more if you are caught or seen with decked out gear like that, rather than evading and avoiding attention as you plan on doing with said equipment; I also hope you know leather or padded clothing is lighter and more flexible than a ballistic vest would provide adequate protection from scuffs and pointy bits unless hobos where you urbex lay grenade traps and punji sticks; i'm not really going to say anything more since it's your urbex and your decision to bring whatever you want but there is a reason many people don't acquire military grade gear and prepare for a goddamn zombie apocalypse while urbexing

by the way you want ghillie on top of that?

21. Post #101
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    interesting, as I was under the impression you wore a CVC with a pasgt vest because thw first thing I'd think of is the helmet much like if someone hears pasgt

anyways that's exactly what I intend to sound like because wearing full camoflage and ballistic vest? i'm pretty sure the authorities would pester you more if you are caught or seen with decked out gear like that, rather than evading and avoiding attention as you plan on doing with said equipment; I also hope you know leather or padded clothing is lighter and more flexible than a ballistic vest would provide adequate protection from scuffs and pointy bits unless hobos where you urbex lay grenade traps and punji sticks; i'm not really going to say anything more since it's your urbex and your decision to bring whatever you want but there is a reason many people don't acquire military grade gear and prepare for a goddamn zombie apocalypse while urbexing

by the way you want ghillie on top of that?
    let me help you since you seem overly confused.

This is a CVC-H (Combat Vehicle Crewman- Helmet)

This is a CVC-V (Combat Vehicle Crewman- Vest)

This is a PASGT-H (Personal Armor System Ground Troops- Helmet)

This is a PASGT-V (Personal Armor System Ground Troops- Vest)

Tank crews don't wear PASGT vests (never have) and can't (currently) because PASGT-V as of 2005 has been phased out of military inventory and replaced by IBA (Interceptor Body Armor). As to date the CVC-V has been slated to be replaced (http://www.goarmy.com/army-videos.sch-Fort%20Knox.html).

Tankers are issued PASGT-H as apart of their basic issue (everyone is, even Admin personnel), but when mounted they can't be used because in order to communicate with other crew members the CVC-H needs to be worn.

I do not own nor have I once mentioned CVC armor (helmet or vest) in this entire thread.

In addition armor isn't designed to protect against "punji sticks" , unless of course you're wearing a pair of Type-II Jungle Boots, in which case they come with an aluminium plate in the sole to prevent puncture of punji's into wears foot.

No need to plan, already successfully used said equipment multiple times, the idea behind the use of it is to prevent detection...not wait until detected. If you're careful, use the pattern to the advantage, use situational awareness, then it's as if you had never been there.

What's with the Zombie Apocalypse obsession here?

Ghillie would be pointless, it's designed solely for use in a vegetative environment. Ever wonder why some camouflage has been designed to be used in an urban setting...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

22. Post #102
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    fyi you're actually the first person in the thread to mention zombies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    fyi you're actually the first person in the thread to mention zombies
    Thank you for that reminder. Still doesn't address my question.

24. Post #104
    ಥ益ಥ ... Beautiful.
    April 2006
    12,083 Posts
    let me help you since you seem overly confused.

This is a CVC-H (Combat Vehicle Crewman- Helmet)

This is a CVC-V (Combat Vehicle Crewman- Vest)

This is a PASGT-H (Personal Armor System Ground Troops- Helmet)

This is a PASGT-V (Personal Armor System Ground Troops- Vest)

Tank crews don't wear PASGT vests (never have) and can't (currently) because PASGT-V as of 2005 has been phased out of military inventory and replaced by IBA (Interceptor Body Armor). As to date the CVC-V has been slated to be replaced (http://www.goarmy.com/army-videos.sch-Fort%20Knox.html).

Tankers are issued PASGT-H as apart of their basic issue (everyone is, even Admin personnel), but when mounted they can't be used because in order to communicate with other crew members the CVC-H needs to be worn.

I do not own nor have I once mentioned CVC armor (helmet or vest) in this entire thread.

In addition armor isn't designed to protect against "punji sticks" , unless of course you're wearing a pair of Type-II Jungle Boots, in which case they come with an aluminium plate in the sole to prevent puncture of punji's into wears foot.

No need to plan, already successfully used said equipment multiple times, the idea behind the use of it is to prevent detection...not wait until detected. If you're careful, use the pattern to the advantage, use situational awareness, then it's as if you had never been there.

What's with the Zombie Apocalypse obsession here?

Ghillie would be pointless, it's designed solely for use in a vegetative environment. Ever wonder why some camouflage has been designed to be used in an urban setting...
    how do you not detect sarcasm

also if you haven't noticed I clarified on the CVC/pasgt issue:

interesting, as I was under the impression you wore a CVC with a pasgt vest because the first thing I'd think of is the helmet much like if someone hears pasgt

25. Post #105
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    i wear a t-shirt

and some jeans

sometimes shoes

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    i wear a t-shirt

and some jeans

sometimes shoes

Sporting the birthday suit when not leaping from girders and low crawling around small spaces?

Edited:

how do you not detect sarcasm

also if you haven't noticed I clarified on the CVC/pasgt issue:
    The way you worded it sounded as if you were still confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    January 2010
    3,466 Posts
    I never go alone, we always bring:

Illumination: Multiple chem-lights (glow sticks) for room marking or danger marking, two TL-122-D Military Flashlights, Maglite Mini-Mag, Headlamp and Explorer Pro NOCX5 Night Vision Monocular.

Footwear: Type-II Military Issued Combat Boots, Type-I Military Issue Jungle Boots, Wolverine Worksite Steel Toe Boots, 100% Cotton or Wool Socks.

Safety Items: CVC and PASGT-V Body Armor. Works amazingly well against falls onto shape objects or possible stabbing or shooting threats. Got ours from family and trading, can pick it up online for cheap, heave leather work gloves with plastic liner to prevent contact with liquids or powders.

Clothing: BDU/ACU or similar clothing. Designed for sustained wear in rough environment, reinforced knee and elbows, double stitched through-out, camouflage properties, multiple pockets, ect....

Tools: Crowbar, wire cutters, bolt cutters, Phillips and flat head screw drivers, lighter, road flare, small survival kit, radios or phones, respirators, knives, maps and schematics of the area (if available), multi-tools, ect...

We also all wear LBE or LBV (military web gear), has tons of pouches and pockets, carry small ALICE packs for gear, canteens and camelbaks for water, energy bars and MRE's.

Carry a change of normal clothing as well
    You mention right here using "CVC body armor"

Edited:

And yes, i know BDU andACU are cuts, thats why i mentioned BDU in m81 and DCU or with ACU using UCP pattern.

Edited:

And because the thread is called what should you take when you go urbexing, and you posted what you take, I thought you were giving your advice.

28. Post #108
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    gear fetishists seems to be a stiflingly american trait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 3 (list)

29. Post #109
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    746 Posts
    No, you're very wrong. Fuck German Montana. Go get some Spanish Montana or Belton if tagging is really necessary...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #110
    October 2011
    68 Posts
    You mention right here using "CVC body armor"

Edited:

And yes, i know BDU andACU are cuts, thats why i mentioned BDU in m81 and DCU or with ACU using UCP pattern.

Edited:

And because the thread is called what should you take when you go urbexing, and you posted what you take, I thought you were giving your advice.
    Hmm, seems I did, well aren't I just a jackass. (My apologies to Kill001)

Yeah, I was saying that the cuts come in more than M81 and NTC, same with the ACU and UCP.

Yes, my mistake for not giving that some thought. My intent was not to come into the forum as an "expert" or "pro", my intent (in specific this thread) was to share my knowledge, experiences and thoughts.

@bye

You apparently haven't met anyone in the UK who airsofts...I thought the US was bad with that stuff.

Also, if it was a fetish I'd have the newest and flashy gear I could get my hands on (the majority of what I carry is "obsolete" by technological standards). It's apparent you don't like me or what I post, now that we've got that square away I'd like to apologies to a few people...

Kill011, oakman26, and cueballv2themax for coming off as a pretentious fuck who is always right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #111

December 2011
    36 Posts
    If you're worried about chemicals and abspestes pick up a PMK, M 15, or a GP 5/6/7. Thoses are good masks and will definantly protect ya. Make sure you pick up some NATO filters if it came with unsleaed ones.
    know anything about the MIL 9104 or the MIL 1200, their pretty cheap here: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=6201

32. Post #112
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,837 Posts
    know anything about the MIL 9104 or the MIL 1200, their pretty cheap here: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=6201
    You're honestly better off getting a respirator instead of a gas mask (one with a P100 rating in the US; other countries use different rating systems).

Gas masks are, well, for gas. And while certain filters may protect against particulate matter, they are cumbersome, prone to fogging, limit your field of view, and it's very difficult to take pictures with one on.

33. Post #113
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    @bye

You apparently haven't met anyone in the UK who airsofts...I thought the US was bad with that stuff.

Also, if it was a fetish I'd have the newest and flashy gear I could get my hands on (the majority of what I carry is "obsolete" by technological standards). It's apparent you don't like me or what I post, now that we've got that square away I'd like to apologies to a few people...

Kill011, oakman26, and cueballv2themax for coming off as a pretentious fuck who is always right.
    it absolutely perplexes me! they're as bad as eachother though the US is probably worse due to having a very active gun culture

it's not that I don't like you, i don't even know you, i just like to poke fun at people I think are over the top/pretentious newcomers

34. Post #114
    December 2011
    139 Posts
    1. flashlight 2. photocamera
    (russian urbex)

35. Post #115
    January 2009
    916 Posts
    I usually bring a flashlight, buddy, knife, and camera.

36. Post #116
    June 2011
    3,337 Posts
    Is there any way I can know if a building will contain asbestos or other hazardous materials? or do I just have to estimate and use my common sense?

37. Post #117
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    as long as you don't go smashing every ceiling tile and piece of fiberglass you'll be fine

38. Post #118
    June 2011
    3,337 Posts
    Ah alright, thanks. Still a good idea to take a mask that protects from asbestos though, right?

39. Post #119
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    i suppose, but it you did disturb it it will be all over your clothes so there's little protection

40. Post #120
    Sorry about the downtime, now buy shit.
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    I didn't realize until recently this board even existed.

Based on what experience I've had, I can honestly say you need to pack similar to the way climbers pack. If you ever go to large facilities, make sure you've got enough to accommodate your entire journey.

1. Mask / respirator. Most important. Many buildings I've explored have been old factories, mainly wood processing, steel, etc. These old factories have asbestos as they are based on old building codes. Dust, leaking gasses, etc. also pose a threat.

2. Flashlight. I use a Maglite 2-CELL D, which is very bright.

3. Climbing harness with carabiner's. I've only ever needed to use my climbing harness once, it was moving around a gantry that was blocked by barrels. If you're not afraid of heights, and trust yourself, you can normally go without. Otherwise, I'd suggest having one on hand. Having a few feet of rope never hurts.

4. Water. A camel isn't really necessary, unless of course you get dehydrated easily and are exploring a large facility. I take 2 bottles of water, and always have a few in my car. Do NOT drink caffeinated beverages, as they dehydrate you quicker.

5. A friend. I'd never suggest going alone, because in the event something does happen you'll hopefully have someone who can assist you.

6. A phone. Though most phones don't get signals in factories / warehouses, it's never a bad idea. Being as most people have a phone these days, not really a problem.

7. A knife. On a trip to a lumber mill, my friend Dave's jacket got caught on rusty nails. He couldn't undo his jacket, so we used a knife to cut him loose. That's another thing, don't wear clothes you don't mind trashing. A spring assisted hunting knife is the best option. Stick away from knives with sheaths, as when you're moving around you don't want things like that easily getting caught on objects.

8. A lighter. This falls under "basic survival skills" when going into things. In the event that you do get trapped somewhere, and it gets cold, you'll need to keep yourself warm somehow.

9. Rubbing alcohol. You can use peroxide, but carrying a container of rubbing alcohol is useful if you get cuts, which leads me to my next point.

10. Gloves. Use thick leather (preferably) with breathing holes and grips. I myself use military tactical gloves, as they expose your finger tips and allow for better grip. For the love of God, do NOT use winter gloves. Your hands will sweat and they aren't very protective.

11. High-sugar / high-calorie snacks. Crackers, bagels, etc. are your best bet. Candy bars are good, but they burn off much quicker.

Basic principles:

1. Never break into newly abandoned buildings. Normally they are still fitted with alarms, especially schools. Over time the wires decay and you have less chance of setting one off.

2. Try to stay quiet. In the event there is law enforcement around, you do not want to attract them by yelling, "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THIS!" most of the time, you are technically trespassing. You can be fined.

3. Test every footstep. Old buildings tend to be more unstable and dangerous. Gantries, wood floors, tiled floors, glass, etc. is all fragile under neglect, so make sure you apply pressure with one foot before stepping on full. If you hear creaking, breaking, etc. It's a good bet not to proceed.

4. Never take anything. Remember, other people want to explore these buildings too. If you take things, you're ruining the fun for the next person. Not to mention, you can get into serious trouble for getting caught trespassing and taking things.

5. Never damage anything. If you step on glass and it breaks, there is nothing you can really do about it, but don't go punching walls, breaking glass, ripping things up, etc.

6. Never vandalize anything. I can't tell you how pissed off I get when I see "John was here 11-11-11" carved into a wall. It ruins the suspenseful element when you realize someone else has been there.

7. Never leave anything. This includes litter. Take all your garbage with you. If police do happen to get calls and investigate, nothing's worse than your old water bottles / wrappers with your DNA being on it.

8. Move carefully. While abandoned factories may not be cared about, there are sometimes people around who will call the police if they see dodgy activity.

9. If the police do show up, do your best to be quiet and hide. Chances are they won't scour the whole building unless they believe there is someone truly in there.

10. Know your surroundings. Take note of where ladders, stairwells, etc. are. Also note fire escapes, hazards, etc.

11. Be careful what you touch. Many factories have old chemicals laying around, such as acids.

12. Do not use the buildings as your bathroom. Old buildings smell bad as it is, don't put piss on top of that.

13. Stay away from baggy clothes. While baggy clothes may be your style, you need to be able to move quickly and efficiently through buildings.

14. Expect anything. There have been urban explorers who have stumbled upon bones, etc. before. Remember, if you know about these buildings, chances are others (perhaps even murders) do too.

15. Try to have a bit of strength. You may need to do climbing, lifting, etc.

16. Try to keep your face out of pictures / video you take. You can get into trouble for trespassing and nothing is better evidence than pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)