1. Post #1601
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    I think I had something yesterday that I should've at least visited a doctor about. During class I got a headache and couldn't read my laptop's screen worth shit and I felt a bit weak as well, today I just have a bit of a headache though.
    Detail this further, were you sensitive to light? Drowsy, etc.?

Edited:

Sometimes a day, I get this peculiar smell in my nose occasionally accompanied by some relatively painless throbbing in my head. Any idea what this could be?
    What does it smell like? Just from working off this description, that sounds like you're allergic to something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1602
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Well, she went to see the school nurse today, after her teacher noticed what was wrong. We explained all these symptoms she's been having, and the only thing she was really told to do was drink more.

Same thing then happened during lunch. Took two of us just to get her to the office. She was sent home after that.

Not strictly medical related, but some of you might know more about proper medical procedure than I do. When she went in the second time, she was just left in the dark while the nurse went off to eat lunch. During this, she was visibly distressed and panicking. I'll just take a wild guess, and assume that's not the best way to treat someone dealinh with all this.

One more symptom to add, blurry and double/triple vision. I'm honestly quite worried here.

Edited:

She has another doctors appointment set for Monday, but still unsure of what we should do in the meantime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

3. Post #1603
    April 2011
    852 Posts
    What does it smell like? Just from working off this description, that sounds like you're allergic to something.
    I'm not really sure, hence 'peculiar'. Maybe blood? But that'd be quite odd since I don't have a broken nose or something and I've never had a nosebleed before. Additionally, I have no known allergies. The episodes come sporadically a day and definitely not when I'm in contact with something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

4. Post #1604
    October 2009
    1,865 Posts
    I'm not really sure, hence 'peculiar'. Maybe blood? But that'd be quite odd since I don't have a broken nose or something and I've never had a nosebleed before. Additionally, I have no known allergies. The episodes come sporadically a day and definitely not when I'm in contact with something.
    That could be a migraine, some people notice weird smells when they have migraine headaches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1605
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,408 Posts
    Everytime i stretch, i feel faint, and i have an incredibly painful throbbing in my head for a few seconds. On occasions, i would completely blackout with a fucked up buzzing sound in my head during one of these stretches. One time, i was walking to the bathroom at home, i stopped to stretch for a second, and my mom saw me flop on the ground like a sack of shit, when i came around again, she was staring at me, crying. I asked her why and she said i looked like i had just died, i was pale and wasn't breathing for about 30-45 seconds.
    EDIT: This has been going on for about 3-4 years, the first time it happened, i was in English, i started stretching and i blacked out, and hit my head on the desk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1606
    June 2010
    6,264 Posts
    Everytime i stretch, i feel faint, and i have an incredibly painful throbbing in my head for a few seconds. On occasions, i would completely blackout with a fucked up buzzing sound in my head during one of these stretches. One time, i was walking to the bathroom at home, i stopped to stretch for a second, and my mom saw me flop on the ground like a sack of shit, when i came around again, she was staring at me, crying. I asked her why and she said i looked like i had just died, i was pale and wasn't breathing for about 30-45 seconds.
    EDIT: This has been going on for about 3-4 years, the first time it happened, i was in English, i started stretching and i blacked out, and hit my head on the desk.
    I take it you've been to a doctor.
    If not, you're about 3-4 years late. I'd have seen a doctor after the very first time if I collapsed for no reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #1607
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,969 Posts
    Alright, I was just making my self dinner, I decided I wanted some spice so I cut up some chillis then added them to my meal, I then washed my hands and went to take a piss, seems washing was ineffective and now my dick is burning. Anyone know any anti-chilli techniques?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #1608
    This probably isn't a good idea
    October 2007
    3,401 Posts
    Milk? Capsaicin is soluble in fats but not water, so that might help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #1609
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,969 Posts
    It's gone now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #1610
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    11,016 Posts
    For future reference, cream helps a fuckton more than milk in neutralizing capsaicin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

11. Post #1611
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,434 Posts
    My lip is really dry. Like really fucking dry. It happened because I was sick with a runny nose and lots of sneezing. The constant wiping with toilet paper dried it out pretty bad, now it's red and sore. So how do I fix it now? Anything I try seems to only relieve it temporarily.

And yes, I have used liberal amounts of chap stick, it wears off after about an hour. I also tried licking it and wetting it, those seem to only make it worse / stop working as soon as I take the water away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #1612
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    this sounds really weird but i read it somewhere and it's worked for me before, but it's not that practical if you're out and about today

grab some OJ and cotton buds/q-tips, put a little orange juice into a shallow glass/dish, soak the cotton bud with the OJ and apply it all over where your lips are sore and just let it sink in. it's probably gonna sting, but that'll calm after a short while
    keep applying it as much as you can think to, and don't lick it off either. your lips will end up sticky and saturated with the orange juice, but i found it works wonders where chapstick/carmex just wasn't quite working

cheap and easy!

Edited:

i guess you don't have to apply it with a cotton bud, your fingers would probably do just as well, it's just a bit easier using something a bit smaller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #1613
    June 2010
    6,264 Posts
    That sounds really useful, gotta try that, I've had dry lips ever since I was prescribed accutane a few years back. Worked like a charm, but my lips haven't been the same since.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #1614
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,083 Posts
    Try vaseline.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

15. Post #1615
    August 2009
    9,424 Posts
    Doctor! Doctor! my eyeballs are on fire!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #1616
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Doctor! Doctor! my eyeballs are on fire!
    Tilt head and keep spitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #1617
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Well, she went to see the school nurse today, after her teacher noticed what was wrong. We explained all these symptoms she's been having, and the only thing she was really told to do was drink more.

Same thing then happened during lunch. Took two of us just to get her to the office. She was sent home after that.

Not strictly medical related, but some of you might know more about proper medical procedure than I do. When she went in the second time, she was just left in the dark while the nurse went off to eat lunch. During this, she was visibly distressed and panicking. I'll just take a wild guess, and assume that's not the best way to treat someone dealinh with all this.

One more symptom to add, blurry and double/triple vision. I'm honestly quite worried here.

Edited:

She has another doctors appointment set for Monday, but still unsure of what we should do in the meantime.
    ...and now she's having problems with memory.

Would the hospital or ER be a better idea at this point, instead of waiting until monday?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

18. Post #1618
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    ...and now she's having problems with memory.

Would the hospital or ER be a better idea at this point, instead of waiting until monday?
    Emergency Room; now. Like RIGHT now.

altered mental status is NEVER a good thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

19. Post #1619
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Emergency Room; now. Like RIGHT now.

altered mental status is NEVER a good thing.
    Fuck, I wish I could. Add blurry vision to the rest of this mess. Her mother is the issue here.

I'd take her in myself if I could, but her mother had to be yelled at by the school before she'd even make a fucking doctor's appointment. There's no way she could be convinced to take her in any earlier, or give me a chance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #1620
    August 2009
    676 Posts
    feels like theres a lump in my throat by my adam's apple at times. and sometimes when I'm singing randomly I'll feel my adam's apple jump up my throat, like it's having a spasm or something.

21. Post #1621
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,422 Posts
    Fuck, I wish I could. Add blurry vision to the rest of this mess. Her mother is the issue here.

I'd take her in myself if I could, but her mother had to be yelled at by the school before she'd even make a fucking doctor's appointment. There's no way she could be convinced to take her in any earlier, or give me a chance.
    Deteriorating vision, pain in the chest, mental status change (THIS IS A BIG ONE), weakness, dizziness, chest pain, stomach problems. And it's been going on for six weeks.
    Minor emergency clinic, or Emergency Room.
    Or get a better doctor. Holding off just hurts her more, shes been sick for six weeks, it's only going to get worse without intervention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #1622
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Deteriorating vision, pain in the chest, mental status change (THIS IS A BIG ONE), weakness, dizziness, chest pain, stomach problems. And it's been going on for six weeks.
    Minor emergency clinic, or Emergency Room.
    Or get a better doctor. Holding off just hurts her more, shes been sick for six weeks, it's only going to get worse without intervention.
    Well aware of that... that's why I'm so worried. She's been to four separate doctors at this point. Each one was convinced it was either a cold or a sinus infection, and sent her off with antibiotics. I'm worried that tomorrow will just result in the same thing.

It's obvious that her mother doesn't care either, since I had her explain all this once again, and her mother's only comment was how she hoped she didn't have to buy a cane. I'm not even joking here, she doesn't give a shit.

I'm willing to wait until tomorrow, and see what the doctor has to say. If it's nothing useful, I'll get her to the ER somehow...

23. Post #1623
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    6,096 Posts
    Fuck her mother, seriously. At this point, medical attention needs to be administered as soon as possible, regardless of whether or not the mother is completely oblivious to her daughter's worsening condition.

Find a way to get her out of the house, then drive her straight to the emergency room, or get a trusted friend or relative to drive her for you don't have a car (so long as they're not as oblivious as her mother). You can deal with the fallout later, and maybe if there is a diagnosis with it you might be able to show her the necessity of your actions. But, for now, I definitely recommend you get her to a doctor as soon as you can.

And be sure to tell whatever doctor you're going to that she has been prescribed antibiotics in the past, and none of them have worked. It might be worth looking around for the oldest prescription slip or pill bottle you have to show that it hasn't been working.

24. Post #1624
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Fuck her mother, seriously. At this point, medical attention needs to be administered as soon as possible, regardless of whether or not the mother is completely oblivious to her daughter's worsening condition.

Find a way to get her out of the house, then drive her straight to the emergency room, or get a trusted friend or relative to drive her for you don't have a car (so long as they're not as oblivious as her mother). You can deal with the fallout later, and maybe if there is a diagnosis with it you might be able to show her the necessity of your actions. But, for now, I definitely recommend you get her to a doctor as soon as you can.

And be sure to tell whatever doctor you're going to that she has been prescribed antibiotics in the past, and none of them have worked. It might be worth looking around for the oldest prescription slip or pill bottle you have to show that it hasn't been working.
    She's napping right now, and I really don't want to deprive her of that, so I'll talk to her when she gets up. I know people who would be more than willing to get her there if need be, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

To put my mind at ease, or at least stop me worrying so much, if this does get sorted out, and we figure out what it is, none of this should be permanent, correct?

25. Post #1625
    August 2009
    676 Posts
    this happens to me a lot also, I was diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension, basically when you have this, and you get up, sit down, or stretch (more often stretching, for me) you get dizzy, throbbing pains, and sometimes you can black out. this is due to your blood dropping from some of your extremities and the body not knowing how to deal with it. I would go to your doctor, usually its not really anything serious but I would go anyway. try drinking a lot of water every day to keep hydrated, that helps a bit. if that doesn't help then definitely go to your doctor

26. Post #1626
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    1,389 Posts
    -snip- nevermind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #1627
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

Just go. Go on bus or car or something.

Call an ambulance if you can't, they will take her if she says so. I'm an EMT, this is our operating procedure. They HAVE to take you to the hospital if you request it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

28. Post #1628
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Just go. Go on bus or car or something. Call an ambulance if you can't, they will take her if she says so. I'm an EMT, this is our operating procedure. They HAVE to take you to the hospital if you request it.
    Alright, then I'll get her there. One way or another. Is it worth waiting for the appointment tomorrow though?

29. Post #1629
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Alright, then I'll get her there. One way or another. Is it worth waiting for the appointment tomorrow though?
    It's 50/50. If it's just a general sickness then it wouldn't do much difference, but if there is a serious problem then it couldn't hurt to go.

The memory and blurriness is worry some. Let me just tell you what I've learned and from what I know from experience, altered mental status is NEVER normal. And it NEVER points out something that is okay. That is why I would take her now. If it was anything else, I would say wait. But there are issues going up in her head if it's hitting her eyes and cognitive brain functions.

You have the cerebrum being affected due to memory, that's where human memory is housed. And blurry vision is a little more vague as it can effect about 4 different regions. My guess is since the cerebrum is being effected, so is her Occipital Lobe

30. Post #1630
    August 2009
    676 Posts
    I say go now. you never want to wait with this kind of stuff, sounds pretty serious to me.

31. Post #1631
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Well, she's still asleep currently, but I'll ask when she wakes up. I will definitely get her there soon, if need be. Today, if she feels like she needs to, or tomorrow based on how the appointment goes.

Anything specific I should have her tell the doctor? Other than symptoms and past antibiotics?

32. Post #1632
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Well, she's still asleep currently, but I'll ask when she wakes up. I will definitely get her there soon, if need be. Today, if she feels like she needs to, or tomorrow based on how the appointment goes.

Anything specific I should have her tell the doctor? Other than symptoms and past antibiotics?
    They will ask everything they need to know. If you call an ambulance, the EMT's will relay all the information.

Emphasis on the fact she has deteriorated and nothing is helping.

33. Post #1633
    I make Minecraft mods.
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    They will ask everything they need to know. If you call an ambulance, the EMT's will relay all the information.

Emphasis on the fact she has deteriorated and nothing is helping.
    Alright. Thank you all for the advice. Really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #1634
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Alright. Thank you all for the advice. Really.
    Of course. It's my job.

35. Post #1635
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    I have another goddamn cold sore on my tongue, they keep coming back. Help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

36. Post #1636
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    425 Posts
    There is a vein ticking(/bouncing or something) in my right shoulder it has been ticking for olmost 2 days now(sometimes stops) and i can't seem to get rid of it. It normally just takes some minutes if you have a vein ticking/bouncing, but i can't seem to loose it. Can anybody help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

37. Post #1637
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Does it go up your neck?

38. Post #1638
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    425 Posts
    No, it's just in my shoulder.

39. Post #1639
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    What do you mean by ticking or bouncing, that's something I've never really heard before.

40. Post #1640
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    425 Posts
    It ticks like your hart, it's not at the same speed but it just has the same behavior. I don't know what's the cause,it should go away after some mins but i can't seem to loose it. I've had it happen around 3 times in my life and i know many others who have experienced the same thing so i am sure that it's not something special.