1. Post #1201
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,765 Posts
    Guess who's dick is still numb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

2. Post #1202
    March 2010
    1,552 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

3. Post #1203
    March 2009
    2,047 Posts
    I'm not worried about failing, I make pretty good grades without trying terribly too hard in a very competitive school. I am in HST, which is a variant of HOSA. I'm in Austin Texas man, they have really good EMS services here, with some good hospitals (Seton, Brackenridge, St.David that don't mind students like me rooting around in them). Here, it takes two years to go from EMT -B to -P in most college/community college programs ( the community college offers the best program in the state, the graduates on common get hired right away). The -B program you describes sounds a lot like the ones they do here from my understanding. And I was advised by multiple EMTs, and my friend who is a -P to get my basic and just hold onto it and take it slowly, i was told not to rush for your -P right away, and just build up hours/experience. I pretty much plan to get my -P through the community college program, get my basic class credits (english and shit), transfer to a 4 year college (texas tech? UT-A?), get a job, get a bachelor's, get an RT or RN degree so i could eventually work on a helicopter later on. That's more of my long term goal. Short term goal? Get my lazy as fuck school to add on EMT-B, so i can save myself some time.
    Btw, how many hours did you have to do clinically, and how many on the trucks?
    It's generally two 12 hours shifts in the hospital and two 12 hours shifts on the ambulance but due to how many students were out in the field when I did it we only had the one shift on the ambulance which was pretty shitty. General rule of thumb for when to go for paramedic is to wait until you're a good EMT otherwise you won't be a good medic. From what I've heard helicopters are pretty tough to get on to. I talked to some of the Mercy Air and Upland Fire (I think they're a branch from your Reach guys) and they were saying it usually takes about 5 years depending on how good you are and where you're working. They want to see a good bit of variation in the calls you run for them to want to hire you. Not really sure about their flight nurses, but that's what the medics were telling me. You need to get several extra certs too. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing as you, -B to -P to RN. I want to go into the military after I get some experience though and do their combat medic stuff then maybe get the Army to pay for my RN or something. Shit I might even try to go for MD in the future but that's all further down the line. Plus I hear the first year or so of that is really in the books and I'm more of a hands on person.

Edited:

Texas, that reminds me, one of the guys I was in class with was saying they were offering signing bonuses to EMTs down there. You know if there's any truth to that or what counties might be doing it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #1204
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    Ok i'll give this thread a shot. Medical fpers, i think i'm suffering from anxiety attacks about my heart. Sometimes when i'm lying in bed, my heart starts feeling... Weird. Like it's beating too hard or struggling. Like this is it, i'm gonna die. It isn't painful at all, but it feels like my neck's arteries are really pronounced and that any second now something's going to happen.

My pulse itself is normal, about 70 maybe, and i feel no pain or anything. It's hard to describe, it's just... Weird.

I'm 18 yrs old, maybe a tad chubby, like baby fat style, and have no history of heart problems. I think the only lifestyle change recently has been less exercise and more sweets and fizzy drinks due to being around exam time where i consume more comfort foods.

Really not sure what to make of this so any advice wouls be appreciated, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1205
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,415 Posts
    It's generally two 12 hours shifts in the hospital and two 12 hours shifts on the ambulance but due to how many students were out in the field when I did it we only had the one shift on the ambulance which was pretty shitty. General rule of thumb for when to go for paramedic is to wait until you're a good EMT otherwise you won't be a good medic. From what I've heard helicopters are pretty tough to get on to. I talked to some of the Mercy Air and Upland Fire (I think they're a branch from your Reach guys) and they were saying it usually takes about 5 years depending on how good you are and where you're working. They want to see a good bit of variation in the calls you run for them to want to hire you. Not really sure about their flight nurses, but that's what the medics were telling me. You need to get several extra certs too. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing as you, -B to -P to RN. I want to go into the military after I get some experience though and do their combat medic stuff then maybe get the Army to pay for my RN or something. Shit I might even try to go for MD in the future but that's all further down the line. Plus I hear the first year or so of that is really in the books and I'm more of a hands on person.

Edited:

Texas, that reminds me, one of the guys I was in class with was saying they were offering signing bonuses to EMTs down there. You know if there's any truth to that or what counties might be doing it?
    I don't know really much about the signing bonuses, if i was to GUESS, i would say Travis or Williams county, AKA Austin, because they treat their EMTS really well, i've heard even one of the best in the nation.
    and really just two 12 hour shifts? I've already done that amount on my own time, and some. I thought it was more like 4, 12 hour shifts. I remember I actually got to bump a student off the truck i was on to another truck because i was friends with the medic. In retrospect the guy was grateful later on in the day, because the other truck he got put on responded to some really interesting calls. (Face burn, and a cardiac call (patient died at the scene in a little patch of swamp near the highway, so when we walked into the station it smelled like piss and dick because the student did compressions in the muck).
    and yeah helicopters are rough to get on from what i've heard, my friend who was the medic just started working with Herman Life Flight in Houston, he doesn't have any other cert either i think, which raises a few questions of how he got the job. He spent a few years working 911 and working in the ER, so that is probably it.. And a large portion of RTs i've met use to work on the helicopters too, and suggest to go for it because you'll never regret it.

Edited:

Ok i'll give this thread a shot. Medical fpers, i think i'm suffering from anxiety attacks about my heart. Sometimes when i'm lying in bed, my heart starts feeling... Weird. Like it's beating too hard or struggling. Like this is it, i'm gonna die. It isn't painful at all, but it feels like my neck's arteries are really pronounced and that any second now something's going to happen.

My pulse itself is normal, about 70 maybe, and i feel no pain or anything. It's hard to describe, it's just... Weird.

I'm 18 yrs old, maybe a tad chubby, like baby fat style, and have no history of heart problems. I think the only lifestyle change recently has been less exercise and more sweets and fizzy drinks due to being around exam time where i consume more comfort foods.

Really not sure what to make of this so any advice wouls be appreciated, thanks.
    Any shortness of breath? and is it only when you're trying to fall asleep? and are you stressed out? like a lot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1206
    August 2009
    9,394 Posts

Get your avatar to have a look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #1207
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    588 Posts
    I have a heath issue that started not to long ago actually

I'm a waiter and shit, and have been for almost 2 years, and about oh, two weeks ago, this tiny part on the right side of my back, about the middle goes numb and tingles, I don't know what it is, Im not worried about it but eh, I do want to know whats causing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #1208
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,415 Posts
    I have a heath issue that started not to long ago actually

I'm a waiter and shit, and have been for almost 2 years, and about oh, two weeks ago, this tiny part on the right side of my back, about the middle goes numb and tingles, I don't know what it is, Im not worried about it but eh, I do want to know whats causing it
    Sounds like something with your upper lumbar, and lower thoracic section of your spine, which commonly are injured often via heavy lifting. Obviously you're not in any pain, so i would wait and see if it gets worse, if it does, go to the Doc or better yet chiropractor.

9. Post #1209
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    any other part of you numb and tingly?
    that screams nerves to me

is your spine uneven at all, because scoliosis can cause nerve impingement

have you hurt your back, or experienced some pain at all in the last while?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #1210
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts

Any shortness of breath? and is it only when you're trying to fall asleep? and are you stressed out? like a lot?
    No, no shortness of breath or anything. I occasionally notice it when during the day, but usually i'm doing other things and forget about it.

It's becoming a real problem though. Last night it kept me awake till like 4am.

11. Post #1211
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    i have this weird feeling in my knee, like something around there is crawling underneath the skin
    i know it's not just some bs nerve thing, cause when i put my hand over it, i really can feel it

what is this black negro magicka
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #1212
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts

what is this black negro magicka
    That's a tautology.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #1213
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    That's a tautology.
    reverse racist

14. Post #1214
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,415 Posts
    No, no shortness of breath or anything. I occasionally notice it when during the day, but usually i'm doing other things and forget about it.

It's becoming a real problem though. Last night it kept me awake till like 4am.
    Sounds like anxiety/stress to be honest. I would go to your doctor. He can only be the one to tell you if it's stress or something else, and he can even prescribe you something to help handle with the it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #1215
    June 2010
    3,920 Posts
    the only hair i have on my body is my pubes, armpits, and legs.

my forearms have barely any and there is ZERO hair on my upper body/ass.

it is kinda scary how hairless my ass is.

what does this mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #1216
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,211 Posts
    the only hair i have on my body is my pubes, armpits, and legs.

my forearms have barely any and there is ZERO hair on my upper body/ass.

it is kinda scary how hairless my ass is.

what does this mean.
    No hair on your head?

17. Post #1217
    June 2010
    3,920 Posts
    No hair on your head?
    oh yeah, got head hair. forgot to mention that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

18. Post #1218
    March 2010
    1,502 Posts

Yea I used to get this too. Does it sort of trick you into thinking that your hearts gonna stop or something silly along those lines?
    But I made myself not worry about it by exercising more and getting my heart rate up, and taking mental note that my heart seems to be working just fine.
       I would seek medical attention if you get any bad pain though, that usually means something isn't right   

19. Post #1219
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,826 Posts
    How would you tell if you have a dented chest?
    Right between my ribs and at the very top, I have a very shallow divot close to an inch around. It's barely noticeable, but I want to make sure anyway. Any advice on this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

20. Post #1220
    February 2005
    127 Posts
    How do i know when i need to stop smoking? Seriously, i have been coughing up massive amounts of yellow/brown/clear/bloody phelgm. I enjoy smoking but when is a serious sign that i need to quit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

21. Post #1221
    October 2009
    1,858 Posts
    How do i know when i need to stop smoking? Seriously, i have been coughing up massive amounts of yellow/brown/clear/bloody phelgm. I enjoy smoking but when is a serious sign that i need to quit
    Not sure if Medicine Troll... Just in case, here's the deal.

I understand that many people enjoy smoking, but medically speaking it is one if the worst habits out there. There isn't necessarily a clear sign you should quit, since the risk of cancer and other respiratory problems increases gradually over time, and the proper time to stop is BEFORE there are noticeable signs. Unfortunately, you are past that point; something is REALLY fucked up. So, yes. Stop smoking, whatever the cost, and see a doctor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #1222
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    quit smoking before 10 years to significantly reduce your risk of most of the usual suspects

Edited:

Here's a graph of the relative risk

from it, you can gather that 20 years is about as much smoking as the lungs can reasonably tolerate, and then it pretty much explodes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #1223
    Fuck Your Life
    Dennab
    July 2011
    2,186 Posts
    How would you tell if you have a dented chest?
    Right between my ribs and at the very top, I have a very shallow divot close to an inch around. It's barely noticeable, but I want to make sure anyway. Any advice on this?
    I've got the same thing. my chest makes a shallow recurve thing. My dad's does the same.

Also think I broke my toe, kinda, fell over lol.. it's swollen and red and unmovable after 30 minutes
    Probably just sprained or something idk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

24. Post #1224
    June 2011
    267 Posts
    Hey, I have always had this small dip in my chest.
    I was always kind of a chubbier kid, and thus always kind of had bitch tits.
    I started working out two years ago and lost the weight, I'm 6'1" and 150lbs [~68kg] now, but I noticed i was never really ever able to get rid of the bitch tits. Like I have pretty solid pecs, but there's still a little bit of extra skin or fat around the nipple. And I think it's from the dip in my chest.
    Now, that's not the reason I'm concerned but recently I've been having random chest pains on both sides of my chest. They're kind of like a tightness and pretty painful. I'm not sure if it's the dip that's affecting me but I'd like to know if anyone else has had something similar to this? Or knows anything about it.

25. Post #1225
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,459 Posts

Edited:

Goddamn i am not good on my phone

jackald, sounds like good old palpitations that you're experiencing. A bit disconcerting but if you have no other symptoms and your pulse isn't raising then it's probably not too much to worry about!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #1226
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,956 Posts
    When chew my jaw occasionally snaps on the left side
    What can it be?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #1227
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,415 Posts
    Edited:

Goddamn i am not good on my phone

jackald, sounds like good old palpitations that you're experiencing. A bit disconcerting but if you have no other symptoms and your pulse isn't raising then it's probably not too much to worry about!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack some of the psychological symptoms match what he said earlier. Again if he wants to know if it truly is anxiety/panic attacks, and not something else he needs to go to the doc.
    He never told us straight up if he is under a lot of stress or not, but he did mention how he gained a little bit of weight due to final exams, so he obviously is under or was under some kind of stress.

28. Post #1228
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_attack some of the psychological symptoms match what he said earlier. Again if he wants to know if it truly is anxiety/panic attacks, and not something else he needs to go to the doc.
    He never told us straight up if he is under a lot of stress or not, but he did mention how he gained a little bit of weight due to final exams, so he obviously is under or was under some kind of stress.
    Well i'm not really stressed out, i just get lazier with non-work stuff around exam time. If anything it's the opposite, this started AFTER my exams were finished. Anyway thanks for the help guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #1229
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,258 Posts
    For a few days now I've occasionally felt a stinging pain to the left of my chest. It's not really inside the heart however. It's kind of in between the inner chest and the heart. It's not really a super-painful sting either, it just kinda pokes in every now and then. It's really more annoying than painful.
    I did some research on my own, and I found that it can be some sort of "chest wall pain", which is common in children and teenagers. Being 16, I suppose I apply to that audience.

So I did some digging and found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

Pretty much sums up all my symptoms and fits my age. It states there's no medication for it. What does Facepunch think?

Edited:

When chew my jaw occasionally snaps on the left side
    What can it be?
    Could be the result of grinding your teeth or pushing your jaw when you sleep. Happens to me too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

30. Post #1230
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    my left eye recently got way more floaters (not loads, but enough to be irritating) if I ignore them will they go away or should I do something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #1231
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,641 Posts
    my piss smells like raw chicken
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #1232
    April 2007
    997 Posts
    Starting to think im lactose intolerant or have IBS. The more fruits I eat the more my stomach starts to hurt and the more diarrhea I get. I also get super gassy too. My diet is typically oatmeal with milk for breakfast, chicken for dinner and a few apples or oranges for a snack later. I typically get the symptoms after that. Anyone else have this problem?

33. Post #1233
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,765 Posts
    I cant feel my dick and no I wont go to the doctor because he'll touch me where he shouldn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #1234
    June 2010
    3,920 Posts
    i think this is some weird psychological thing

i think that inanimate objects have 'feelings'

i don't REALLY think that, but i still do things based off of this though process

if i go to get a drink and see that one of my barq's root beers is on the shelf by his lonesome, i'll go ahead and put him back in the barq's box because he probably wants to be with his bros.

if i reorganize my entertainment center and see that two things were always next to each other before i cleaned that area out, ill make sure they remain next to each other because they prolly got to know each other pretty well for however long they were there before i cleaned the place out.

i think i started doing this after i first saw toy story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #1235
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,641 Posts

i don't REALLY think that, but i still do things based off of this though process

if i go to get a drink and see that one of my barq's root beers is on the shelf by his lonesome, i'll go ahead and put him back in the barq's box because he probably wants to be with his bros.

if i reorganize my entertainment center and see that two things were always next to each other before i cleaned that area out, ill make sure they remain next to each other because they prolly got to know each other pretty well for however long they were there before i cleaned the place out.

I do this, especially with old plush toys. I have it badly for my 'active' cup as well.

Shit's weird.

36. Post #1236
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,615 Posts
    So I posted in this thread back in October how my kneecap dislocated and moved onto the side of my leg (I was picked up by an ambulance and the kneecap was pushed back using force from like, 3 doctors hghhfhg). Afterwards, I had to sort of limb around on the good leg which caused it to get overstressed a lot. It's been about 4 months and it's goinf relatively fine, except that the good kneecap feels really loose. If I lay down for some time, then move my leg, I can feel how my kneecap moves around and eventually pops into space where it should be. Did I make shit hit the fan by accidentally overstressing the good kneecap?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #1237
    October 2009
    1,858 Posts

Definitely sounds like OCD, I have a little bit of that. I don't personify the objects, but if I actually think about the placement of books and paper on a desk, for instance, I'll think "no that doesn't look right" and move them around into a position that I think IS right. I also hate leaving the volume on the TV at odd numbers that aren't multiples of five... Just seems weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #1238
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    Definitely sounds like OCD, I have a little bit of that. I don't personify the objects, but if I actually think about the placement of books and paper on a desk, for instance, I'll think "no that doesn't look right" and move them around into a position that I think IS right. I also hate leaving the volume on the TV at odd numbers that aren't multiples of five... Just seems weird.
    That's not really similar to what he is talking about at all. anthropomorphism is a very human trait

39. Post #1239
    October 2009
    1,858 Posts
    That's not really similar to what he is talking about at all. anthropomorphism is a very human trait
    Sorry, I didn't quite explain myself correctly; I anthropomorphize of course, and I have a big of OCD like most people do, but it seems to me that skynrd has combined those two things. Or he could just be a really swell guy, even to inanimate objects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

40. Post #1240
    I love My Cunt Oven
    August 2010
    4,224 Posts
    Hey, I got a cold a week ago. Came with a sore throat and the works. Except I have hearing issues now (Everything sounds a bit higher-pitched) and the cough hasn't gone away. Help?