1. Post #1
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    What is this, I've never heard of it

Haven & Hearth is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game) set in a fictional world loosely inspired by Slavic and Germanic myth and legend. The game sets itself apart from other games in the genre in its aim to provide players with an interactive, affectable and mutable game world, which can be permanently and fundamentally changed and affected through actions undertaken by the players. Our fundamental goal with Haven & Hearth is to create a game in which player choices have permanent and/or lasting effects and, thus, providing said players with a meaningful and fun gaming experience.

Players start the game surrounded by a vast and somewhat unforgiving wilderness, with only the most basic tools of survival at their disposal. The use of fire is a thematic focal point of the game's mythos, and an early and important task will be the simple lighting of one. As the first hearth fires disperse the darkness of the surrounding wilderness, more pressing questions will present themselves to the players: Who are they? Where are they? And, most importantly, where are they going? From this point on, players will have to blaze trails of their own into the unknown, the wilderness and the future, and explore and affect the world of Haven & Hearth using only their own best judgment and a chipped stone axe

As players progress, they will be able to acquire new skills and abilities, allowing them to perform a variety of tasks—such as the claiming of land, the construction of buildings and the cultivation of crops—each step forward making the basic task of survival somewhat easier. Having progressed far enough, players will, in time, be able to organize themselves into societies, from simple tribes and villages, progressing through republics, nation states and, ultimately, empires.

The game is still in Alpha phase, and it's beign developed by two Swedish university students, Fredrik Tolf and Björn Johannessen.

There is only one server, which has it's world re-set many times. Currently, we are on the fifth world.

Features

First of all, you need to create an account on the Haven & Heart website to start playing. Once you get into the game, there are quite some things that you should know about!

*CRAFTING: H&H boasts an extensive crafting system! You can craft a wide range of items, from Heart Fires to basic survival tools

*FREEDOM: No out of game restraints on player interactions other than what the players themselves decide!

*SKILLBASED: No arbitrary restrictions are placed on your development. Whether choosing to specialize or become a jack of all trades, you are never forced into a single role!

*PERMADEATH: Death has lasting consequences and makes for a completely different atmosphere than most games. People actually care (for better or worse) what happens to them and others!

*TERRAFORMING: Trees disappear forever once used. Grasslands spread from clearcutting. Caves can be tunneled through. Plant crops, trees, grass, pave stone and brick. Most objects are also destructible!

*PERSISTENT: Any buildings or objects you come across were made by another player. Leave a lasting mark on the world!

Creating your character

When you start playing or you die with another character, you will have to create your character from zero, since you will begin as a formless and nameless spirit.

This is the Creation room, where the spirit that represents yourself starts.

There are three ways to exit the character creation room

1) Right click the ladder. It will drop you somewhere in the wilderness
    2) Right clock the charter. It will let you select some zones to start from
    3) Talk to the man in the upper left angle. By typing in a friend's Heart Secret your Heart Fire will be created besides his.

You can become kin (=friend) with someone by adding them via Heart Secret or by right clicking them and select "make kin". The hearth secret is decided by the player himself.

Hearth Fires? What are those?

An Heart Fire is a fire that represents your spawn point. It has two tonalities :

1) Bright Green means that the owner of the Hearth Fire is logged in
    2) White / Pale Green means that the owner of the Hearth Fire is offline

You cannot move your Hearth Fire, hoverwher, you can create a new one with five Branches and A Beautiful Dream. After placing your new Hearth Fire, the old one will become a normal bunch of branches, which can be lighted up with fire for lightning/cooking

Ancestors

In your character menu, under "Personal Beliefs", you will see three items under an image.

Those are items that your ancestors desire, and they will give you Numen Points . Those Numen points can be used for prayers.

For example, 5 Numen Points will allow you to request a loaf of bread from your Ancestors, the quality of which depending on your cooking skills.

When you character dies, you can start fresh or go on the Reincarnation Runestones.
    Reincarnating will make the precedent character your ancestor, and allows you to regain some Learning Points.

...Learning points?

Yes!

Learning points are used to acquire and upgrade Skills.

There are two methods of earning experience.

The first is through Discoveries. Nearly every new item that you harvest or craft yourself will reward you with 50LP - for example, rightclicking a nearby tree will open a radial menu. When you pick your first branch, you gain 50LP. You get no experience for branches after the first. Most of your early experience will come from seeing lots of new items for the first time, which is why starting near broadleaf forest can be such a boon.
    Since discoveries are a finite resource, the experience earned from them must be spent cautiously. Click the third button at the bottom of your character sheet to go to your Skills page, where you learn new abilities.

The second method for earning experience is through Curiosities, which can be acquired in many ways: crafting, gathering, and even random rewards for various tasks. Open the character sheet and click the second button at the bottom to view your mental inventory. Place a curio here and your character will begin studying it. Once the piechart on the curio has come full circle, it will be consumed and award LP. Note that study time passes for curios regardless of whether your character is logged in or not. Only one of each curio can be studied at any given time.

Learning skills will give your character a broad charter of new abilities. For example, to kill another player you must have the "Murder" skill.

SHP, HHP, MHP

In Haven & Hearth, as I said before, you can't just go and kill another player.
    There are two kinds of HP

1) Soft Hit Points/SHP. Treat them as a kind of "shield" for Hard Hit Points, just like DNF's ego. Once these get depleted by any source of damage, you will fall uncouscious for about a minute, and your HHP will take all of the incoming damage. Their maximum value is defined by current HHP
    2) Hard Hit Points/HHP. Once these finish, you die. Permanently. If you have SHP left, your character only takes slight HHP damage. When rendered uncounscious, all damage goes towards HHP.
    3) Maximum Hit Points/MHP. The maximum limit of HHP.

Killing in the game isn't that obvious as it might seem.
    Normally, you can only deplete one's SHP after learning "Rage", indirectly depleting their HHP. Once a character becomes uncouscious, you cannot damage him further, unless he gets back up.
    To kill someone this way, it takes a while, because other characters only take slight HHP damage.
    To make things faster, you have to learn the skill "Murder", which allow you to damage a character while he is uncoscious, and, therefore, deplete his HHPs.

SHP will regenerate automatically if your hunger status is above "Very Hungry". Instead, HHP will not regenerate. There are 2 ways to heal :

Leeches
    One way to heal HHP is by using leeches. Leeches can be obtained by anyone, regardless of skill, making them a popular low-level healing method. However, because they deal damage, their use is not recommended at very low SHP values, as the leeches can knock a character unconscious, which would lower HHP instead of healing it.
    Leeches can be obtained by walking in any swamp area. They will attach themselves to empty equipment slots. The less a character is wearing, the more leeches can be gathered and used at once. Once a leech is equipped, it will do SHP damage about once per minute. The damage it deals is equal to its quality divided by 10, rounded down to the nearest whole number. Approximately every 10 SHP damage taken will restore a single point of HHP. After damaging a character three times, a leech will become bloated. If removed and stored, bloated leeches will eventually become normal leeches, allowing reuse simply by placing them in empty equipment slots.
    The quality of a leech moves one point towards its host's constitution attribute each time damage is dealt. This means a leech can gain up to three quality points per usage. As such, reusing leeches can result in better healing during future uses.

Gauze
    The second way to heal HHP is by using Gauze. Gauze provides healing at no cost to SHP, though the skill requirements to obtain the necessary wool is considerably higher than that of the leech method. However, because gauze can be applied by anyone with the First Aid skill, it is possible for a character to give another character assistance.
    To obtain wool, a character must either own a tamed sheep or find a four-leaf clover and a mouflon. Using a clover on a mouflon allows shearing, while a tame sheep can be sheared without clover usage. Once wool is obtained, it can be made into gauze at a loom by any character with the First Aid skill. Once created, gauze can be applied by left-clicking the item to pick it up, then right-clicking the desired target and choosing to apply the bandage. Gauze can be only applied to a character that has no headgear equipped. Gauze will heal a character's HHP by 30% of their MHP over time.

Here are some tips, by Heroic Pillow (edited by me)

*If you're going to play more than 1 hour of this game, get ender's client.
    It allows zooming in and out, a resizeable window, nightvision, the ability to hide objects or see through them, and showing a creature's aggressivity radius. Among other features.

*If you start out without joining a bigger town right away you really need to get your exploration and perception up higher, and get the skill foraging. This will not only help you get a lot of basic materials, but you can get some decent curiosities when you get a little higher up. You will also want to get hunting so that you can wring the neck of all of the bunnies you will surely come across.

*If you try to attack anything that isn't a rat, bunny, frog, or chicken, you will die a horribly painful death until you get farther along in the game. To raid ant hills, you must assign 20 points to the Unarmed Combat skill. Completely avoid going after bears, as they can run faster than you. A safe method of defeating them is fighting on board of a boat, and going into deep water as soon as they come nearby.

*Your first long term goal is to get Yeomanry so your stuff is safe from at least the common newbie. It allows you to plant a "banner", that can be expanded with Learning Points.

That's all, folks. I've had fun writing this. Sorry if it is bad, but it's the first ever OP I've done for GGD. Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Here are now some useful links

Haven & Hearth wiki, contains lots of useful informations about the game and it's mechanics

An useful thread for starters, mostly what I based this off

Map of the world, useful to find villages

Haven & Hearth official forums

In case you are wondering, the game is completely FREE. You can still donate money to the devs on H&H's website tought
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,889 Posts
    I remember when I played the shit out of this game.
    It's quite unique in the way that everything is created by the users.

Man I remember when Facepunch messed with the Germans. Fun times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts

In my friend's village there is a german actually. He managed to kill a boar with a punch, so eh, good thing we are friends with him VV

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,421 Posts
    I remember playing this for a while, then accidentally drowning myself, and then I quit.

5. Post #5
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    I remember playing this for a while, then accidentally drowning myself, and then I quit.
    I've yet to acquire "Swimming", so I guess I'm kind of safe

6. Post #6
    April 2010
    1,780 Posts
    Oh god the thread name is killing my OCD.
    Its Haven and Hearth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2009
    773 Posts
    To be honest, I don't think I'll get back into this game any time soon. You've got to spend a lot of time even if you want to play "casually".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    5,013 Posts
    I went back to this game 1½ weeks ago. I am trying to build a town so if anyone is willing to join me and my friends are welcome.

Edited:

Few days back my friend messed with some russians and stole all their stuff. I logged on like 4am and I saw "X Has logged on" I invite him to a party and he does not respond, ugh... I run over to the other part of the village and I see a Ranger. He speaks something in russian and I run. Fun

9. Post #9
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    Oh god the thread name is killing my OCD.
    Its Haven and Hearth.
    I was pretty tired at the time, I am sorry for the spelling mistake.

I'll ask a mod, hopefully they will fix it

Edited:
    I went back to this game 1½ weeks ago. I am trying to build a town so if anyone is willing to join me and my friends are welcome.
    Eh, depends where you are. I'm already in my friend's village, but if I happen to know where it is located I'll come by

Edited:

Title fixed!

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    Bunch of mispelling in the OP.

11. Post #11
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    Bunch of mispelling in the OP.
    Will fix :buddy:

So, what have you guys been doing lately? Today I managed to kill two foxes with my pals. I'm filled with meat

12. Post #12
    January 2010
    9,522 Posts
    I remember playing a while ago, trying it out now.

Edited:

is there a guide somewhere? right now I'm just building a leanto to sleep under.

Edited:

why can't I build that leanto thing over my bed

13. Post #13
    April 2010
    1,780 Posts
    I remember playing a while ago, trying it out now.

Edited:

is there a guide somewhere? right now I'm just building a leanto to sleep under.

Edited:

why can't I build that leanto thing over my bed
    built the leanto first then pick up your bed and move it into the leanto

14. Post #14
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    Map of the world, useful to find villages

Also, should I concentrate on learning skills, or on highening attributes?
    I have Unarmed combat, but I can't do any damage to anyone if I keep it under 10. Learning some skills might help me tought.

Opinions?

15. Post #15
    October 2009
    5,013 Posts
    Get attributes. I got about ~20 Int, the only thing I do on my main character is to stuff it with curios.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    I highened my strenght to 14 after eating loads of bear meat.

Problem is, I am 65% overstuffed. :x
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,485 Posts
    Things you forgot to mention in the OP:

If you're going to play more than 1 hour of this game, get ender's client.
    It has various features such as:
    zooming in and out, a resizeable window, nightvision, the ability to hide objects or see through them, and showing a creature's aggro radius. Among others.
    You can optionally use some different client mods to improve some of the graphics here and there. I personally recommend this one.

Learn about what personal beliefs can do for you.
    Assuming you are moderately decent at not dieing, work on moving your personal belief for tradition/change over to "change". If you also do peaceful at the same time you can get 360% more LP than normal.

If you start out without joining a bigger town right away you really need to get your exploration and perception up higher, and get the skill foraging. This will not only help you get a lot of basic materials, but you can get some decent curiosities when you get a little higher up. You will also want to get hunting so that you can wring the neck of all of the bunnies you will surely come across.

If you start out around a lot of pine trees, make sure to make a lot of cone cows.

If you try to attack anything that isn't a rat, bunny, frog, or chicken, you will die a horribly painful death until you get farther along in the game.
    And as was mentioned earlier in the thread, don't get swimming until way later into the game as well.

Your first long term goal is to get Yeomanry so your stuff is safe from at least the common newbie.

And if you ever last long enough to make palisades, make sure to "seal" the cornerposts when you are done branching off of them in different directions. I've seen multiple people starve to death inside of their fortresses from lack of food and not enough strength to break themselves out after a griefer comes by and seals them in with a palisade wall going across the only entrance.

Food Experience Points (FEPs)
    It works kind of like this. Let's say at the start you eat a roasted rabbit meat which gives you 1 FEP. Seeing as your highest stat is only level 10 at the beginning, you need to eat 10 FEP in total in order to complete the process. Every time you eat it will fill up the FEP bar little by little until it gets maxed out. When that happens it will choose a stat in the FEP bar based on how much it contributed to the bar as a whole, and raise that stat by 1 point. So if your bar as 70% AGI, 20% STR, 5% CON, and 5% HURT, you would most likely get agility out of it. But if you are really unlucky you could also lose some of your HHP.

--------

Either way i've been playing this game for a little while with some friends, and we've got a decent sized 150x165 settlement going. 90% of my LP is going towards a claim so our stuff is safe until they get yeomanry as well. I can spend 40k LP at a time yet it barely increases the size of it.

Here's my horrible character sheet at the moment:

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    I thought it went shit when the developers started kissing 4chan's ass giving them non obtainable items and too much priority when they suggested something.
    I liked it when the first updates were like bunny slippers and more useful stuff. But now the game is completely different from what it was and it's overly complicated.

Good times though.

The start of the first official town (before town claims and walls)

finding the first public town in the world (and slightly later 12bay founded theirs)

Catching a griefer with his pants down (and taking his unobtainable cleric robe(now obtainable))

his work

Scents were introduced earlier and i find and raid his place with the help of Jorb.

Massive ammount of stolen goods

Hunting

And the aftermath of another train

Finding and running a town was really stressful and made me quite paranoid about everything. But the thrill of perma death was awesome. And me being a lawspeaker just added to that.
    Sadly the updated version of this game just doesn't cut it for me. I've tried.

I probably have more screenshot if you want some more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2008
    420 Posts
    I like just going into the woods and becoming a hermit.

At night I would sneak into a local hamlet and steal things.

I would visit them during the day and eventually, after about a real life week of me stealing, they started blaming each other. They started fighting, and eventually the whole hamlet was destroyed.

After I drove away my neighbors, I lived in peace. Whenever somebody would visit me I would invite them into my home for food, kill them, and eat them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,558 Posts
    I'd like to play again if anyone had a village or an area set up to dink around in :) Maybe give me your hearth secret over a PM and we can start something :)

21. Post #21
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    My friend crashed the cart twice in the woods.

He's a perfect driver I tell you!

Edited:

My friend crashed the cart twice in the woods.

He's a perfect driver I tell you!

22. Post #22
    FZE
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,180 Posts
    Scratch that, working now.

23. Post #23
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    If someone wants to play with me, I could share my Heart Secret.

Problem is, I am near my friendsì village, but I have my own banner so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Anybody, so we can organize a mass FP Hunting season?

Edited:

Also, updated the OP!

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    You still haven't fixed the hearth typos by the way.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,205 Posts
    I know the hearth password!

26. Post #26
    September 2009
    6,525 Posts
    Just started playing this and I am hooked. it's everything I would want in an isometric terraria/minecraft/wurm.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    I wish the servers were less laggy, me and my friends play this on and off

28. Post #28
    September 2011
    1,636 Posts
    I tried to play this with some friends, but russians raped us in 3 weeks.

29. Post #29
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    Me and my mates stopped playing this until World 6 arrives. Does someone know when?

Hell, we could start a giant Facepunch village!

30. Post #30
    August 2011
    12 Posts
    The only times they restart a world is if they find a huge flaw/exploit or they change a major game
    mechanic (as far as I know). But I would love to join up with a group IF one ever got started again.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    If you're like me and you've played on the first world, and then the second, then you will most likely feel dumb for not understanding the game anymore. I find combat impossible to understand now.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,621 Posts
    I've heard of this game before, never got around to playing it though.

I'll give it a shot seeing as I'm bored as fuck, seems interesting at least.

EDIT: Scratch that, already had an account registered. I seriously have no recollection of playing this game, maybe someone brainwashed me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    797 Posts
    If you're like me and you've played on the first world, and then the second, then you will most likely feel dumb for not understanding the game anymore. I find combat impossible to understand now.
    Same, I made my account in W1 and I think melee combat is really complicated.

34. Post #34

May 2011
    909 Posts
    Played around W3/W4, introduced by the ss13 guys.

Thought it was neat until world five came and suddenly you levelled up by pushing a button and doing absolutely nothing for hours and/or not playing the game. At that point I just quit because it seemed kind of backwards.

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    329 Posts
    Hurp durp W6 has arrived.

36. Post #36
    September 2011
    1,636 Posts
    It's impossible to start now, places with good clay and water are claimed and there are very developed villages already.

37. Post #37
    September 2010
    6,559 Posts
    Hurp durp W6 has arrived.
    It has? I might as well restart playing this game with my pals the-

It's impossible to start now, places with good clay and water are claimed and there are very developed villages already.
    Fuck.

38. Post #38
    October 2009
    5,013 Posts
    Started playing again. Though I usually play with my friends and when we built and done everything you can without metall we end up quiting or visiting rarely for Curios & Farming

39. Post #39
    October 2009
    1,841 Posts
    I once built an entire property outside of a large and rapidly growing city; they begged and threatened me to move, but once they realized that I wasn't going anywhere they made plans to build a park around my ranch. It's okay though, because I was stealing their shit the entire time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    October 2009
    5,013 Posts
    I once built an entire property outside of a large and rapidly growing city; they begged and threatened me to move, but once they realized that I wasn't going anywhere they made plans to build a park around my ranch. It's okay though, because I was stealing their shit the entire time.
    Yeah, had that shit happen to me in W3.
    Sodom, tsk... tsk...