1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    That was a greatly enjoyable and unique experience. To anyone who wants to know more about the mod before playing: don't bother. It's best you go into it basically knowing nothing. Just set aside some time and dive in. It should only take about 10 minutes. Or it might not. There's only one way you're going to find out!
    That's pretty much why I made the OP pretty blank, explaining any of it would ruin it.

Now I'm almost tempted to make a larger version of this mod because I loved it so much.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,997 Posts
    I loved the ending where a woman screamed    quick, press escape then quit game, it's the only way you can save both of them, if you d-- *crush*   
    How do you get that ending?

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,748 Posts
    How do you get that ending?
       Go up in the elevator.   

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,149 Posts
       Go up in the elevator.   
       Is it possible to go any other direction?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
       Is it possible to go any other direction?   
       Yes, you can also press the down button which leads to a different ending.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,660 Posts
    The storytelling reminds me of the way Douglas Adams writes, like if he was trying to work on a story, but Arthur Dent kept doing things wrongly (or correctly).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,362 Posts
    I got a total of 6 ending and even made a chart on paper showing which decision leads to what.

8. Post #48
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I got a total of 6 ending and even made a chart on paper showing which decision leads to what.
    Show us the chart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    16,749 Posts
    I am the only who can't change anything on options? also the game has subtitles?

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,997 Posts
    I am the only who can't change anything on options? also the game has subtitles?
    No, there's no subtitles. I can still change other options like video settings, though.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I wouldn't mind a full length game set up like this, actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    I'm talking to the creator about possibly revamping the levels.

13. Post #53
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I'm talking to the creator about possibly revamping the levels.
    What's wrong with them?

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    What's wrong with them?
    Not the design, just the looks. Kind of like the Dear Esther remake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,351 Posts
    I didn't like that ending, I found it very unsettling and perhaps even terrifying.
    I found Amnesia less unsettling.
       Doesn't help that I have somewhat severe OCD, and I'm compelled to do the whole thing again and exit before Stanley is killed.   

Also:     You'll notice I'm posting from the Steam Browser. I'm still in game because I can't decide whether or not to play through it again. Damn OCD.    
    Haha, just got that ending. Don't see how anyone could find it even remotely unsettling tbh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

16. Post #56
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    16,749 Posts
        the room with dev textures part made me laugh   
    It's a pretty good mod, alotugh is hort is original
        and the multiple endings thing    reminds me of games like silent hill

the v1.2 has something new? it is 130 MB bigger than the other version

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,327 Posts
    I loved the ending where a woman screamed    quick, press escape then quit game, it's the only way you can save both of them, if you d-- *crush*   

I took her advice and exited the shit out of that program because that ending creeped me out a ton.   

Now I want to reply and find the rest.

The ending    if you follow all of the orders    is nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    I LOVE ANIME AND MAGICAL GIRLS BUT DONT TELL ANYONE
    January 2008
    11,524 Posts
       I took her advice and exited the shit out of that program because that ending creeped me out a ton.   

Now I want to reply and find the rest.

The ending    if you follow all of the orders    is nice.
    I disagree.    I really didn't like when he started telling about Stanley being a free man now, with no one telling him what to do or how should he feel. After all, the narrator is still in control. It's more like a bad ending.    Well, I am still looking for a    good    ending, if there is any
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    I disagree.    I really didn't like when he started telling about Stanley being a free man now, with no one telling him what to do or how should he feel. After all, the narrator is still in control. It's more like a bad ending.    Well, I am still looking for a    good    ending, if there is any
       The creator purposely made the ending disappointing, so the player would come back to get a more satisfying ending   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,327 Posts
       I liked it because Frank Sinatra   

Also holy shit that ending with the    dev texture room and the half life 2 intro levels    was amazing.

"Also Stanley is addicted to drugs and hookers."   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    January 2008
    11,524 Posts
       Every ending sucks. But not the quality - it's just that every ending makes me feel empty and sad inside :C    damn this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,327 Posts
       Every ending sucks. But not the quality - it's just that every ending makes me feel empty and sad inside :C    damn this game
    Did you do the    Dev Texture    one? That one gave me a good laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    January 2008
    11,524 Posts
    Did you do the    Dev Texture    one? That one gave me a good laugh.
        p sure that I already did every one of them - that is        halflife2 trainstation, getting crushed, following every order, not disabling the generator, going insane   

wait

there are 6 endings? o shite   

24. Post #64
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    Does someone have a list of endings and how to get them? I've only seen 4 and I'm kinda lazy.

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,660 Posts
    How do you get the    going insane    ending?

26. Post #66
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    How do you get the    going insane    ending?
       Head down the stairs, then stay in the room.   

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,327 Posts
       Head down the stairs, then stay in the room.   
       I just walked around since the room loops in a circle anyway.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

28. Post #68
    January 2008
    11,524 Posts
    what's new in v 1.2?

29. Post #69
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    So this is sort of like Dear Esther?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,997 Posts
    what's new in v 1.2?
    A few sound files didn't get packed into the first release, as far as I can tell this is the final final version.

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,149 Posts
    Has anyone found anything in    the "truly free" ending (when you are left in the empty complex with all doors open, and no narrator to tell you what to do)? I want to believe it isn't the end, that there's more to it than just leaving me in an empty building.   

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    8,997 Posts
    Has anyone found anything in    the "truly free" ending (when you are left in the empty complex with all doors open, and no narrator to tell you what to do)? I want to believe it isn't the end, that there's more to it than just leaving me in an empty building.   
       Keep walking around, there's more to the ending.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    So this is sort of like Dear Esther?
    Yes, but it's actually enjoyable and funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #74
    August 2011
    41 Posts
    Hey guys, my name is Cakebread, I made the game. I found this thread and since it seemed like you were having a good discussion, thought I'd drop in to offer my thoughts. Feel free to ask me anything.

You're all pretty much dead on about there being no "good" ending. Even the ending where Stanley is "free" isn't really good since he still did everything exactly like the narrator told him to. No, you can't stop the timer. No, you can't exit the crusher ending except by manually quitting the game. I've loved solving puzzles all my life, but for some reason I'm really drawn to puzzles that you [I]can't[/I] solve. I used to lose sleep over movies and games that were super paradoxical and cerebral, I guess making a game like that is cathartic or something. I'm glad to hear it had that effect on others too :P   

Also:    the 1.2 update contains My Way, which plays over the full credits (which you only get by doing everything he tells you to). Somehow it didn't pack into the first release.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 59Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    How did you find a narrator with such an amazing voice?

36. Post #76
    August 2011
    41 Posts
    How did you find a narrator with such an amazing voice?
    http://voice123.com/

I put out an audition and offered money. I also asked for a sample so I would know exactly who was right for the part. I got probably 30-40 submissions but this guy, Kevan, was the second person to submit. 2 words into his audition piece I knew it was going to be him. No one else who submitted even came close to his level of amazing clarity and delivery. There are just some people in the world like that, I guess.

I sent him the script and said I wanted to skype with him, talk about the role, go over what he was going to do. 2 days later he emailed me back with the entire thing recorded. That's what you hear in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 24Winner Winner x 21Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    Are you considering making more mods in the future?

38. Post #78
    August 2011
    41 Posts
    Are you considering making more mods in the future?
    If you'd asked me 2 years ago, yes. This is my first mod ever, and the plan was to use this project to build a development team of people interested in these kinds of genre-bending, innovative narrative-driven games. Truth be told I wanted a job at valve (don't we all). What followed was 2 years of struggling with hammer, compromises, long grinds, longer breaks, and somehow completing the whole thing by pushing myself as hard as I possibly could at times when it seemed hopeless. Working on a 1 man team sucks. Right before I released this I swore it was shit and I'd never work on a game again. The fact that it's gotten a great response is very encouraging, but I'm so friggin burnt out right now that I have no idea when it would ever happen again. In the right circumstance, with the right people maybe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 57Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,688 Posts
    http://voice123.com/

I put out an audition and offered money. I also asked for a sample so I would know exactly who was right for the part. I got probably 30-40 submissions but this guy, Kevan, was the second person to submit. 2 words into his audition piece I knew it was going to be him. No one else who submitted even came close to his level of amazing clarity and delivery. There are just some people in the world like that, I guess.

I sent him the script and said I wanted to skype with him, talk about the role, go over what he was going to do. 2 days later he emailed me back with the entire thing recorded. That's what you hear in the game.
    Tell Kevan if you can that he has an amazing voice. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    I'm downloading now. I guess it was a bad idea to read thorugh the thread BEFORE playing. But I'll still enjoy this mod.