1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,289 Posts
    Does anyone else have the problem of their glue deciding to squeeze itself out?
    Don't put as much on.

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    Don't put as much on.
    I mean like, the tube is so wrinkled that glue keeps coming out because of the pressure it's putting on itself.

3. Post #363
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,067 Posts
    Do you guys just eyeball how thin to make your paints, or do you have like a test area?

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,289 Posts
    Do you guys just eyeball how thin to make your paints, or do you have like a test area?
    After doing it a bit, you tend to get used to how much exatly, it just depends sometimes on the brands of paint.

5. Post #365
    March 2009
    2,459 Posts
    I have a problem with glue too. I started to get the hang of it when I added the glass, thankfully. I will be sure to buy some paint thinner next time, I am going out tomorrow to buy an Abrams as my next build

6. Post #366
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,388 Posts
    thin your paints
    Oh geez, is this going to become like the 40k thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,289 Posts
    It's perfectly reasonable and good advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #368
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    thin your standards

9. Post #369
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    20,015 Posts
    So I got my N-scale trainset set up on my floor, and have to buy a Japanese adapter to use it.

Guy at the store tells me it will use up too much power (150 volts he says) and Ill have to buy a 100-120 dollar adapter to actually run it.

The actual power thing for it says 12 volts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #370
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,388 Posts
    Oh man

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcar...m_num=BOM35017

Oh man

Wonder how long it'll be on sale...

11. Post #371
    March 2009
    2,459 Posts
    Yay! Just bought a new model. F-18C by Revell. I wanted something easy I could throw together over a week :D.
    However, I wasnt able to find light ghost gray or dark ghost gray. Does anyone know if I could brighten and darken flat gray and just use that? I really don't want to have to go way out of town just to buy 2 things of paint

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    Yay! Just bought a new model. F-18C by Revell. I wanted something easy I could throw together over a week :D.
    However, I wasnt able to find light ghost gray or dark ghost gray. Does anyone know if I could brighten and darken flat gray and just use that? I really don't want to have to go way out of town just to buy 2 things of paint
    I would test it on scrap plastic until it's the color desired.

13. Post #373
    July 2008
    3,476 Posts
    I remember when I first started painting models. Used a whole can of spray paint on a car body. Made it really sticky. Made me really sad.

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,783 Posts
    Thinking about buying the Revell 1:600 USS Enterprise.
    http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...rise-ncc-1701/

I haven't built a model since I was 10, but it doesn't look too bad. I thought about doing it 'properly' with LEDs and everything after seeing videos on youtube, but I reckon I'll just paint the windows.

15. Post #375
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,011 Posts
    Thinking about buying the Revell 1:600 USS Enterprise.
    http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...rise-ncc-1701/

I haven't built a model since I was 10, but it doesn't look too bad. I thought about doing it 'properly' with LEDs and everything after seeing videos on youtube, but I reckon I'll just paint the windows.
    I built one(pics should be a few pages back) Its easily the best scale TOS enterprise you can get. Even if it is a tad pricy(i had no fitting problems or anything on it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,388 Posts
    Hah. Bought that staghound a day before it went back up to $60. (Got it for $28)

Or not. Now it's $35.

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,067 Posts
    Not to wander off topic, but where the fuck did the LEGO chat disappear to?

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,425 Posts
    Not to wander off topic, but where the fuck did the LEGO chat disappear to?
    's in the chat threads. If this is the one you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    Here, I'm finally starting something after about 2 years of nothing.

Paint is on it's way so while thats being taken care of I'ma build it.

And yeah, I need a new camera
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,783 Posts
    I built one(pics should be a few pages back) Its easily the best scale TOS enterprise you can get. Even if it is a tad pricy(i had no fitting problems or anything on it)
    Cool, I might go for it then.

21. Post #381
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,095 Posts
    I've had a Honda S600 plastic model kit sitting on my wardrobe for the past year. I should probably get round to doing that

Edited:

Would be my fist kit since I was a wee nipper

22. Post #382
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    Here's the blog I'm starting btw..
    http://miniatureman.wordpress.com/

23. Post #383
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,257 Posts
    About to start my spitfire, first ever model :D

Edited:

Here's the blog I'm starting btw..
    http://miniatureman.wordpress.com/
    Bookmarked, i look forward to seeing your progress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

24. Post #384
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    About to start my spitfire, first ever model :D

Edited:

Bookmarked, i look forward to seeing your progress.
    thnx man <3 and good luck on the spitty!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums...px?PageIndex=1

Very helpful if you are building Japanese aircraft.

26. Post #386
    Am I Læffy?
    August 2011
    626 Posts
    Got a few models myself. Tried to make several dioramas for them too, but I never got it how I wanted it.

I don't use them much any longer...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    March 2009
    2,459 Posts
    Finished decals on my B25 and started F18. I ordered a Sheridan that will be here in a week or so.
    Also, I finally got some thinner. That stuff is like nectar of the painting gods. You can do everything with it!

Sorry about the sandwich camera
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,067 Posts
    So here's a big question I've had for awhile that maybe all of you could answer for me.

For models in general, do you usually paint at the end, or paint as you go?

29. Post #389
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,425 Posts
    So here's a big question I've had for awhile that maybe all of you could answer for me.

For models in general, do you usually paint at the end, or paint as you go?
    Me and my dad have always painted before building anything but after reading up on some techniques we've decided to build the basic structures first, then paint them, then put on fiddly bits like landing gears and pitot tubes.

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    Me and my dad have always painted before building anything but after reading up on some techniques we've decided to build the basic structures first, then paint them, then put on fiddly bits like landing gears and pitot tubes.
    Basically this. Also, instead of using the supplied pitot tubes, use a straight pin. Far more durable than the flimsy plastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,067 Posts
    Basically this. Also, instead of using the supplied pitot tubes, use a straight pin. Far more durable than the flimsy plastic.
    ... That makes way more sense than it should, I have always haaaaated those parts!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    I need to stop putting my hand in glue. :(

33. Post #393
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    I need to stop putting my hand in glue. :(
    Why would you do that in the first place

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts

Engine wiring yay. I still have to touch it up a bit and paint it. The ugly green color is what color all the parts are in.

Why would you do that in the first place
    Because.

35. Post #395
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    No, give me a proper reason.
    Are you trying to use it as lube r something?

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,229 Posts
    No, give me a proper reason.
    Are you trying to use it as lube r something?
    Nah, I use it as solution for my contacts.

37. Post #397
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    Got a few models myself. Tried to make several dioramas for them too, but I never got it how I wanted it.

I don't use them much any longer...
    Get some plasterboard, draw a layout on there ( or road or something), and then scribe out the lines with a pin r something.

Drybrush dat shit, put bushes on there and make walls the same way as the road.

This is what I managed to make up a few years back..

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

38. Post #398
    November 2010
    5,688 Posts
    So I tried to get into modelling and thing, but goddamn everything is so overpriced in the only place I can get them from, I bought a 1/35 Tamiya King Tiger w/ Porsche Turm, about 60 dollars, a 1/35 Tamiya IS-3 for 65, and three tiny bottles of Tamiya acrylic paints for 5 dollars each, now the stuff I'm seeing in this thread is making me depressed as hell.

So yeah my models have two colors on them at best

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,425 Posts
    So I tried to get into modelling and thing, but goddamn everything is so overpriced in the only place I can get them from, I bought a 1/35 Tamiya King Tiger w/ Porsche Turm, about 60 dollars, a 1/35 Tamiya IS-3 for 65, and three tiny bottles of Tamiya acrylic paints for 5 dollars each, now the stuff I'm seeing in this thread is making me depressed as hell.

So yeah my models have two colors on them at best
    I'll agree to the fact that modelling is an expensive hobby. This is because model making can and most likely will take upwards of a year to complete per kit, if you were going for a super detailed build. It's also because Tamiya kits are very high quality and 1/35 kits are usually for long builds. If you want a nice and quick build for cheaps, 1/72 scale models are probably better for you.

Also, five bucks for three bottles of tamiya paint are a major steal, at least here in NZ. The same paints would cost about $4 more here.

40. Post #400
    December 2011
    694 Posts
    It's as expensive as you make it. With tamiya you're bound to pay shitloads of money. Get airfix or revell instead.

It might be hell putting them togetter but youll be more proud of the result that way. Also, get revell paints if 5 dollars is to much for a pot of paint. just be sure to thin them ones in a while lol