1. Post #3561
    Ask me about my .gif fetish
    February 2008
    3,594 Posts
    Bern-ing-hum
    I'd say Ber-ming-um. There's no hint of an H sound in it where I come from.

My favourite is Gloucestershire. I've yet to find an American that isn't amazed that it's pronounced Golst-a-sher.

The rule-of-thumb with English place names is that generally -shire is pronounced -sher (or -sheer depending on where you're from) and -ham has the h dropped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #3562
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,688 Posts
    All da blud's in da hud usin' da rasclat gat on babylon seen?
    bludclot.

3. Post #3563
    May 2010
    11,086 Posts

My favourite is Gloucestershire. I've yet to find an American that isn't amazed that it's pronounced Golst-a-sher.

The rule-of-thumb with English place names is that generally -shire is pronounced -sher and -ham has the h dropped.
    Jeremy Clarkson pronounces it Glou-chest-er so that's how I pronounce it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #3564
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,538 Posts
    Jeremy Clarkson pronounces it Glou-chest-er so that's how I pronounce it.
    That's a different place...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester

Well, it's a town in Gloucestershire

Edited:

The rule-of-thumb with English place names is that generally -shire is pronounced -sher and -ham has the h dropped.
    Here in hampshire I pronounce shire as sheer.
    Hamp-sheer
    Gloss-tuh-sheer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #3565
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,180 Posts
    Agreed, shire=sheer

Gloss-tuh-sheer

Also I don't think I've ever said birmingham without putting on a fake accent so I can't help you there!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #3566
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,688 Posts
    How would people here pronounce "Southwark"?

7. Post #3567
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    355 Posts
    We say sudh-ərk.

Edited:

http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|southwark Click listen.

8. Post #3568
    June 2011
    2,651 Posts
    I heard that they are thinking of closing down twitter and stuff if this happens again, is that even possible? Is'nt that like again the freedom of speech?

9. Post #3569
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    Suth-Uk.

10. Post #3570
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,017 Posts

The rule-of-thumb with English place names is that generally -shire is pronounced -sher (or -sheer depending on where you're from) and -ham has the h dropped.
    Considering Worchestershire sauce is pronounced worsh-est-er sauce around here I'm not surprised it's also pronounced odd.

11. Post #3571
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts
    The was no riots because of bad weather, and there was an increased Police presence, they are now scared that once the police leave, the riots will start again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #3572
    April 2011
    1,610 Posts
    I heard that they are thinking of closing down twitter and stuff if this happens again, is that even possible? Is'nt that like again the freedom of speech?
    No.

13. Post #3573
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts
    It's sad that an 11 year old girl has been arrested and charged with criminal damage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #3574
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    7,918 Posts
    i've just read about something amazingly sad:
    http://pitchfork.com/news/43478-labe...arehouse-fire/

those fucking bastards burned down the warehouse that had all of warp's old master records, all of the smiths original recordings, bjork's original recordings as part of One Little Indian and a lot of other independent records.

fucking bastards
    People don't realise what they are doing, they think they are just "sticking it to the man" or something when really they are just destroying items of history. Not just the Sony stuff, some of the buildings they have burnt down were 100+ year old listed buildings.

15. Post #3575
    February 2010
    16,257 Posts
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...hl=en_GB#gid=0

List of labels and band that have been affected, enraging because I like quite a lot of these artists.

16. Post #3576
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,675 Posts
    Have the riots quieten down? Or is there still unrest?

17. Post #3577
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts
    Have the riots quieten down? Or is there still unrest?
    Quiet, although there is a lot of police at all times in those areas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3578
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,477 Posts
    Pictures in OP remind me of 28 Weeks Later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #3579
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,517 Posts
    The petition's 94% of the way to Parliament
    Hopefully it won't pass, but it will get enough media coverage just so the looters know how much everybody hates them.

20. Post #3580
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,761 Posts
    The petition's 94% of the way to Parliament
    What petition?

21. Post #3581
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts
    The e-petitions site just 404s for me, doesn't load at all

22. Post #3582
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    648 Posts
    The e-petitions site makes me want to get rid of democracy and ensure these people never have a say in anything important
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #3583
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,451 Posts
    I heard over the news that 3 muslim men were run down by a car just for trying to protect their shop. Is this true? Also, a Malaysian student was beaten up by some thugs during the riot for no apparent reason.
    Another one, an asian man robbed while walking down the street during the riot.

I realize the rioters are targeting Asian people. My local news broadcast said so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #3584
    June 2011
    2,651 Posts
    It's true but they're not targeting Asians its just coincidental, lots of white and black people have been beaten up too

25. Post #3585
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,037 Posts
    I heard over the news that 3 muslim men were run down by a car just for trying to protect their shop. Is this true? Also, a Malaysian student was beaten up by some thugs during the riot for no apparent reason.

I realize the rioters are targeting Asian people. My local news broadcast said so
    These riots have been fairly indiscriminate and I wouldn't go as far to say that any of the attacks or deaths are racially motivated.

26. Post #3586
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts

The first one is true, not sure about the others. Wouldn't say they were targeting Asians, it's just Asian people seem to be confronting the rioters and trying to protect their businesses.

27. Post #3587
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    7,918 Posts
    The dumbass petition has hit 100k signatures and is getting referred to the backbench committee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #3588
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,811 Posts
    what was the petition about?

29. Post #3589
    October 2007
    1,036 Posts
    what was the petition about?
    removing benefits from the rioters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #3590
    Main Force Patrolin'
    August 2006
    5,255 Posts
    -snip- ninja'd...

31. Post #3591
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,451 Posts
    So when will this riot end? Will this stop when the Government start sending armed soldiers to use deadly force to enforce a curfew?

The rioters are really asking for them to do that.

32. Post #3592
    October 2009
    804 Posts
    Will this stop when the Government start sending armed soldiers to use deadly force

33. Post #3593
    October 2007
    1,036 Posts
    So when will this riot end? Will this stop when the Government start sending armed soldiers to use deadly force to enforce a curfew?

The rioters are really asking for them to do that.
    They pretty much are over, barely anything happened last night. All that really remains is dealing with the criminals

34. Post #3594
    smelly member
    June 2005
    7,077 Posts
    Cat the dog will teach you how to say Birmingham.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUR MING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

35. Post #3595
    May 2009
    497 Posts
    The military should be brought in to deal with this. Spray the thugs with water cannons or use plastic/rubber bullets on them.

36. Post #3596
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,501 Posts
    E-petition site still doesn't work, although it does say this:

The e-petition entitled “Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits” has now passed the threshold of 100,000 signatures and has been passed to the Backbench Business Committee to consider for debate. It will continue to be available for signature once the site is re-opened

37. Post #3597
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,746 Posts
    I dont see how removing benefits will help, infact I'm pretty sure it would make it worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #3598
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Someone at my work was attacked by rioters in Manchester, luckily he was ok.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #3599
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,409 Posts
    To all English, you letting you know that Poland is supporting you!

They are making fun out of those bullshit rioters. Its a polish website but the pictures count!

http://www.joemonster.org/art/17771/..._alternatywnej
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #3600
    This probably isn't a good idea
    October 2007
    3,371 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14497763

If this isn't late, it looks like they've caught the bastard who helped that kid up and then mugged him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)