1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    This one has been gnawing at the back of my hand for quite some time, but I let it go because I thought it was plainly obvious why GOMAD is a terrible idea, obviously this isn't the case. So I will explain what the GOMAD is and why it is terrible, in the same sort of format they use on the stronglifts site to promote it.

What is GOMAD?

GOMAD is the acronym for "Gallon Of Milk A Day" diet. The idea is to consume a gallon of milk per day, ON TOP of what you would eat to reach maintenance, adding around 2500 calories to w/e your daily diet is, usually coming out at around 4000, 5000 calories for most people.

Benefits of GOMAD diet

"Weight Gain. 25lbs weight gain during the 1st month is common on GOMAD." - This is true. 25lbs of fat and water retention that is.
    "Strength Gain. The protein & fat content in whole milk helps muscle & strength gains. The weight gain also helps strength gains." - What? Caloric surplus combined with a solid strength program will produce strength gains?? Holy shit someone notify the press. This is a fucking no brainer.
    "Easy. Liquid food is easier to get in than solid food and digests faster. Milk also needs zero preparation and is easy to take with you." - This is a fair point.

"Cheap. 1 gallon whole milk contains 2400kcal, 200g carbs, 120g fat, 120g protein and lots of vitamins & minerals for a relative low price." - Also fair point.

"Natural. Some say that GOMAD works even better than steroids with beginners who want to gain weight fast." - This is gigantic load of SHIT. Nobody who actually knows what the fuck they are talking about would even dare contend that milk produces faster muscular gains than AAS. The mere fact that they are even trying to compare milk to something that changes your fucking HORMONES and chemistry is ridiculous.

"Permanent Gains. GOMAD teaches you to get more calories in, the key to weight gain. You'll never be skinny again." - Yeah but you'll also look like a sack of shit.

So why is GOMAD fucking retarded?

You cannot force feed your body into packing on more muscle. Contrary to the popular /fit/ notion, a larger caloric surplus does not necessarily mean more muscle. Creating muscle and laying new neural pathways is a metabolically taxing process that takes time. That's why trying to rush a bulk is retarded and will only end with you getting fat. I don't give a fuck what these retards say, you cannot, CANNOT gain 25lbs of muscle in a month without anabolic steroids, and even then, good luck.

Hell they even state right there that your bodyfat % will increase 3-4% per month. THIS IS NOT FUCKING HEALTHY AT ALL.

Consuming that much milk on such a consistent basis could wind up making you lactose intolerant, unless of course you have access to raw milk (good luck) which has enzymes (lactase) that are destroyed in the heat treating process. Then there are several other problems from this much milk consumption. Many people doing GOMAD will comment on the bacne/acne problems that arise, these fucking idiots claim it is from increased testosterone levels. Sorry but that is fucking dumb and more broscience shit. Go get some blood work done one week, and then do GOMAD for 2 weeks and get retested, I guarantee your testosterone levels will not have increased by any notable amount. The acne is from the huge milk consumption and rapidly increasing bodyfat storage.

Guys end up heavier, for sure. But this isn't quality weight. Majority of your gains from GOMAD, unless you had some fucking amazing genetics and a shitton of AAS, would be fat and water retention. The assumption is that you do GOMAD and then "just cut bro, you will be better off for it". But let's do a little experiment:

Do GOMAD for two month -> gain up to MAYBE 4lbs of dry muscle, gain 3-4% bodyfat -> spend next 2-4 months cutting depending on how committed and driven you can be

Just do a regular sensible bulk for two months -> gain up to 4lbs of dry muscle, gain no significant amount of bodyfat/maybe even get leaner -> spend next 2-4 months getting bigger and possibly leaner

I think it's fucking obvious which choice produces more sensible results.

The only time I would EVER recommend someone does GOMAD is if they are someone with a huge energy turnover, i.e like a professional athlete who is in the gym for like 8 hours a day, that would actually justify a caloric surplus of 2500 cals.

As a conclusion, I feel I need to state I'm not opposed to teaching skinny motherfuckers that they need to eat a lot to get bigger. However GOMAD is excessive and retarded, fin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    I can't even imagine how it must be to have problems eating enough.

3. Post #3
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,193 Posts
    I've tried so many times to eat constistently and lots, and I'm adding it up to 3-4000 calories in some cases, yet I stand on the scales and find I'm weighing less than I was before.

GOMAD is the only thing that makes a dramatic difference for me, as far as gains go, yet I'm not actually growing fatter at the same time, so I can only assume it's going towards my muscle for the most part.

I have on the other hand felt a need to cut my meals-to-maintainence, so maybe that's why it's working more effectively, as I'm probably only getting around 3500-4000 calories the majority of which comes from the milk, but will still push me into a calorific surplus.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    I felt so great squatting with the belt I feel like squatting errry day now.

5. Post #5
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,193 Posts
    Besides, you only do GOMAD for like two or three weeks at the most.

Also I'm sure the psychological boost most hard gainers would get from seeing their weight actually rising after having tried so much, would be a major benefit to their overall motivation.

I've decided I'm going to eat cleaner and do a half-GOMAD on the side to substitute whatever I can't otherwise make up. I don't see how that could be met with any negativity at all.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I felt so great squatting with the belt I feel like squatting errry day now.
    Psychological.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    I've tried so many times to eat constistently and lots, and I'm adding it up to 3-4000 calories in some cases, yet I stand on the scales and find I'm weighing less than I was before.

GOMAD is the only thing that makes a dramatic difference for me, as far as gains go, yet I'm not actually growing fatter at the same time, so I can only assume it's going towards my muscle for the most part.

I have on the other hand felt a need to cut my meals-to-maintainence, so maybe that's why it's working more effectively, as I'm probably only getting around 3500-4000 calories the majority of which comes from the milk, but will still push me into a calorific surplus.
    Holy fuck you are dumb. Please listen to me. Just because your weight is going up and you can't yet see yourself becoming visually fatter does not mean it "is going towards muscle".

You are getting massive water retention at the moment, that is why your weight is increasing rapidly. This will fluctuate up and down just as it does with anyone.

8. Post #8
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,193 Posts
    Holy fuck you are dumb. Please listen to me. Just because your weight is going up and you can't yet see yourself becoming visually fatter does not mean it "is going towards muscle".

You are getting massive water retention at the moment, that is why your weight is increasing rapidly. This will fluctuate up and down just as it does with anyone.
    scope5000 posted:
    I'm sure the psychological boost most hard gainers would get from seeing their weight actually rising after having tried so much, would be a major benefit to their overall motivation.

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    The psychological boost doesn't mean shit, because the end result is usually their skinny selves now just fatter, because a month isn't enough time for any meaningful muscle growth, but it's sure as shit enough time to pack on the fat storage.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member

January 2009
    1,231 Posts
    However wouldn't that not be an issue if you want to gain fat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,368 Posts
    Why in the name of fuck would you ever want to gain fat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

January 2009
    1,231 Posts
    If you are a skinny little bastard?

T'was me thinking out loud which I should generally refrain from doing because I am a massive idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,368 Posts
    If you are a skinny little bastard?

T'was me thinking out loud which I should generally refrain from doing because I am a massive idiot.
    And why exactly would you want to turn into a lardass instead of lifting weights and gaining muscle instead?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    I'd rather be a skinny bastard than a skinny fat bastard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,933 Posts
    I'm surprised no one brought up the point that drinking a gallon of milk every day would be disgusting, make you hate dairy, and probably make you start going to the bathroom three times as often as before.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,368 Posts
    I'm surprised no one brought up the point that drinking a gallon of milk every day would be disgusting, make you hate dairy, and probably make you start going to the bathroom three times as often as before.
    If you're an absolute pussy, then yes.

17. Post #17
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I dont drink a gallon every day, but i usually burn through a gallon of whole milk every 3 days. I drink on average 3-4 big glasses a day, 1 with each meal. Its a good add of calories and fat with my regular 5 meals a day.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    Milk is good but gallon of milk is just umbhgh

19. Post #19
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    Guys, i weigh 135 pounds. I am lifting with this routine
    • Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Ham Work: 8 reps (leg curls, flutterkicks)
    3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps (resisted crunch
    • Sit on the 45 degree bench position and grasp both handles over your shoulders.
    • Tighten your abs to lean your upper body forward and slowly return back after a short pause.
    • Breathe out while contracting your ab muscles and breathe in while returning to starting position.

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

And working out 4-5 times a week. I want to gain, gain weight, and muscle.

I am an ectomorph (really REALLY hard for me to gain weight, and i want to gain muscle weight, not fucking water weight) But,

How many calories should i eat a day??

And with school coming up soon, what are good small meals to bring to eat over the day?? My friend who is a bodybuilder told me wheat bread with lots of peanut butter and honey

20. Post #20
    RSN
    August 2008
    563 Posts
    Guys, i weigh 135 pounds. I am lifting with this routine
    • Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Ham Work: 8 reps (leg curls, flutterkicks)
    3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps (resisted crunch
    • Sit on the 45 degree bench position and grasp both handles over your shoulders.
    • Tighten your abs to lean your upper body forward and slowly return back after a short pause.
    • Breathe out while contracting your ab muscles and breathe in while returning to starting position.

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

And working out 4-5 times a week. I want to gain, gain weight, and muscle.

I am an ectomorph (really REALLY hard for me to gain weight, and i want to gain muscle weight, not fucking water weight) But,

How many calories should i eat a day??

And with school coming up soon, what are good small meals to bring to eat over the day?? My friend who is a bodybuilder told me wheat bread with lots of peanut butter and honey
    What the fuck does that have to do with this thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    March 2010
    286 Posts
    people just need to be fucking patient and stop looking for short cuts to gain weight.

GODDAMMIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,537 Posts
    gomad is a troll to make people fat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2007
    1,656 Posts
    drink a gallon of skim milk a day

herp derp. And bulking and cutting is dumb as fuck. Bulk for 5+ years, then cut. Not bulk,cut,bulk cut every 6 month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I've actually been doing what qeef says for the past 3 years :P

I cut everytime I'm sick. I automatically lost 5kg and it's a mini-cut to go.

25. Post #25
    April 2009
    1,801 Posts
    I've been drinking loads of milk recently, is it a bad thing?

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    I've been drinking loads of milk recently, is it a bad thing?
    Not necessarily.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    Nope. Milk is good. Unless you're drinking around 4 liters on top of your mainteance calories.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,368 Posts
    Milk is terrible if you're lactose intolerant and don't know it.

I stopped drinking lately, my acne cleared up.

shit sux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    I doubt it's lactose intolerance that causes it. But it's true some people get acne from milk.

30. Post #30
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I drink probably half a gallon ish over a day. I take massive shits

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    I doubt it's lactose intolerance that causes it. But it's true some people get acne from milk.
    People get lactose intolerance from drinking too much milk, yeah ironic I know. It's usually a lot more than people would normally ingest though.

The problem is the heat treatment of commercial milk destroys the lactase enzyme that is present in raw milk. Lactase is exactly what is added back into lactose free milk.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,733 Posts
    I always thought Gomad was fucking dumb, but you still should drink alot of milk, Preferably skim, doesn't really matter.

I drink about a litre a day.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,053 Posts
    I never drink milk. Shit's gross yo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

July 2006
    4 Posts
    Ya'll are being derpmasters. One should only attempt GOMAD if he is a hardgainer with really a really low bodyfat level. The purpose is to thrust your body into the muscle-building environment that already exists in most average or fat people. If you do GOMAD, go balls-out. Whole milk is cheap and delish.

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    Ya'll are being derpmasters. One should only attempt GOMAD if he is a hardgainer with really a really low bodyfat level. The purpose is to thrust your body into the muscle-building environment that already exists in most average or fat people. If you do GOMAD, go balls-out. Whole milk is cheap and delish.
    Retarded broscience

You can't force feed your body into growing, literally the exact same results from GOMAD could be achieved (if not better) without the significant gains in body fat, just from a sensible caloric surplus.

36. Post #36
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    Well its just preference really.

I mean

Milks is easy to drink, doesnt require preparation.

Its not retarded, its just a choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    April 2010
    5,256 Posts
    You're not on tren acetate, your body isn't going to use every single nutrient you try to shove down your guzzle.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    You're not on tren acetate, your body isn't going to use every single nutrient you try to shove down your guzzle.
    guzzle guzzle guzzle guzzle

39. Post #39
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I usually burn through half a gallon a day.

But thats just because i love the taste of milk and drink a glass (2 cups) with each meal, and sometimes when im thirsty.

40. Post #40
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    I usually burn through half a gallon a day.

But thats just because i love the taste of milk and drink a glass (2 cups) with each meal, and sometimes when im thirsty.
    Full fat? Because I thought that GOMAD was usually full fat, but I usually drink semi-skim otherwise.