1. Post #1
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Welcome to the dark, grim future of mankind!

So, I thought that it would be a cool idea to play the roleplaying game "Dark Heresy", a roleplaying game set in the WH40k universe.
    The plan is that it's going to be like a CYOA, as in I act as the dungeon master while you decide what our brave hero does in the world.
    Since it's a CYOA I will provide a few options for you every update, some will be locked and you will only have to decide, but most of the time you will be able to improvise or work up a new idea for our character.

Ideas that are too insane/stupid will be neglected as long as our hero remains sane, but if you have played Dark Heresy before you'll know that this can change.

No inherent knowledge or experience with Dark Heresy is required to vote or come up with ideas, and I will try to explain things such as spending xp on skills later on.
    But that is in the future, let's get on with creating our character.

To clarify, this is going to be a one-man adventure with only one character that I narrate, and you all vote/decide what his/her next plan of action is.

Only in death does duty end.

The character you will be playing will be a grunt in the Imperial Guard, a conscript or maybe a volunteer, but nonetheless he will be fighting the vast hordes of enemies that beset the imperium, both from within and outside.
    We will need a few choices made first, so lets start with what world he/she comes from.

Feral World
    Feral worlds are planets that are almost inhospitable to mankind, and only a few tribes of mankind manage to survive here. This creates some truly tough and brutal people, since surviving is truly a day-to-day affair.
    A Feral World can be a planet covered in jungles, a planet that's just a huge desert, or an unholy and cold planet, covered in ice.

-Skills and Traits-

Every man/woman from a feral world speaks a language unique to their world, and gain the skill "Speak Language (tribal dialect) (int)".

Food is scarce on a feral world, and to survive you have to be able to eat even the most rotten of food. The character gains "Iron Stomach", which adds +10 to a roll to determine if the character resists the effect of ingested poison, rotten food etc.

Life on a feral world is primitive and there is no time for social etiquette, and as such the characters take a -10 penalty on tech-use (int) tests, and a -10 penalty to Fellowship Tests made in formal/civilised surroundings.

Knowing how to take care of your wounds is of paramount importance for a feral worlder, and you can take a full action to roll against your intelligence (int) to stop a bleeding.

Feral worlders are accustomed to living of the land, and as such the following skills count as Basic Skill for the character: Navigation (surface) (int), Survival (int), Tracking (int).

Hive World
    A Hive world is filled to the brim with large cities, or hives as they are called. A hive can cover a whole continent and reach a thousand floors upwards, with only the richest being able to feel the sun, or the breeze of the wind.
    The rest has to live in the dark belly of the hive world, where gang wars and riots are happening every day.

-Skills and Traits-

All hivers speak a tongue native to their own hive, and gain the skill "Speak Language (Hive dialect) (int)"

A hive world is inhabitated by billions of human beings, and as such the hiver is accustomed to large crowds. Crowds does not count as Difficult Terrain for the character, and running/charging through a dense crowd gives no penalty to the agility test to keep their feet.

Technology and machinery is an everyday sight, and as such hivers treat the skills Tech-Use (int) as a basic skill.

A Hiver has most likely never seen or been on the outside of his/her hive, and will take a -10 penalty to all survival (int) tests, and will take a -5 penalty to all intelligence tests if he/she is in a place without all the modern commodeties such as manufactured goods, solid ceilings or electrical power.

A hiver has to be on the alert every waking hour (and even when sleeping), and therefore gains a +1 bonus to all Initiative rolls.

Imperial World
    Imperial worlds form the mainstay of the imperium, and there is truly no imperial world that is the same as another imperial world. It can be a hyper-technological democracy, a brutal medieval world or a world dedicated to feeding the imperium.

-Skills and Traits-

The inhabitants of an imperial world knows that to live life, you have to stay true to the tested ways of life over the generations. The character gains a -5 penalty to Forbidden Lore (int) tests.

Much of the life of a character born on an imperial world is spent on meditation, and as such he/she treats the following skills as basic skills : Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (int), Common Lore (Imperium) (int), Common Lore (War) (int).

Prayer to the almighty emperor is also a common thing for an imperial worlder. Treat the following skills as basic skill: Literacy (int), Speak Language (High Gothic) (int).

An imperial worlder knows that the imperium relies on the strength of his planet, and that the emperor loves it the most. Increase Willpower by +3.

This is the first choice, may the emperor guide you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Winner Winner x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,415 Posts
    -disregard, probably should of read the op better-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Character Sheet

Name:
    Aevon Malferus Cain
    Guardsman

Sex:
    Male

Physical Build:
    185cm tall, 70kg

Appearance:
    Tan skin, blonde hair and grey eyes
    Imperial aquila tattoo

Origin:
    Born on a dead planet, a mining colony upon an airless moon.

Personality:
    Cocky, but can hold his own in a fight. He is a Smooth talker. He is beginning to doubt his allegiance to the Emperor.

-Skills-
    Speak Language (Low Gothic)[int]
    Common Lore (Imperial Creed)
    Common Lore (Imperium)
    Common Lore (War) (int)
    Literacy
    Speak Language (High Gothic)
    Awareness

-Traits-
    Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)
    Drive ground Vehicle
    Pistol Training (Primitive)
    Basic Weapon (Solid Projectile)
    Basic Weapon (Las)

-Gear-

Knife
    Guard Flak Armour (Common)
    1 weeks worth of Corpse Starch rations
    Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
    Shotgun with melee attachment
    Las Carbine, 24 shots
    1 mag for las carbine, full
    4 shells
    Old Revolver
    7 bullets
    1 fire bomb
    Hunting Rifle (Accurate, Reliable, single-shot, telescopic-sight)
    13 bullets

Money: 43 thrones

XP available:25
    XP overall:475

Fate Points: 2/2

Insanity Points:5
    Corruption Points:1

WS [31]
    BS [29] +10 (Intermediate)
    S [32]
    T [29]
    Ag [31]
    Int [31]
    Per [35]
    WP [42]
    Fel [28]
    Wounds 12/15

I would also like to remind people that I want their choices bolded so that it becomes easier to see what is just you discussing ideas and what is actual suggestions. =)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2009
    7,485 Posts
    Imperial World

This also would be more fitting in fast threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,192 Posts
    Imperial World.

Space reserved for character sheet.

6. Post #6
    Fuarrrrkin sexier than zeez bruh
    March 2011
    1,708 Posts
    Hive world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,875 Posts
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/107...ys-Dark-Heresy

We'll be glad to hear your DH stories too in our thread once this new group starts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Imperial World

9. Post #9
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    I will reserve this spot for company information, fellowship information and other nifty tidbits about our character and so forth.

First Update

Second Update

Third Update

Fourth Update

Fifth Update

Sixth Update

Seventh Update

Eight Update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,958 Posts
    Feral World

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    I think there is some misunderstanding as to how this is going to work, you will all share one character that I narrate, and you guys decide what he/she is going to do.
    Oh well that's just no fun. I was hoping that we'd start off as a small group of mates or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Oh well that's just no fun. I was hoping that we'd start off as a small group of mates or something.
    I was at first thinking of doing something with a few players, but I'm not entirely comfortable leading a couple of people as a dungeon master so I decided to make it a one-character business instead.

But don't worry, the emperor willing and this will be a good run, I am really hyped up over this and I'm going to do my best to make it interesting, intriguing and fun for everyone who reads every update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    As long as you can keep it interesting, I'm in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    i am the emperor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Can I be Ciaphas Cain

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    6,544 Posts
    There was already a thread for this in Games in Progress.
    Just a heads up.
    Imperial World
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Iceland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    There was already a thread for this in Games in Progress.
    Just a heads up.
    Imperial World
    That one is for finding people to play with it seems, and not like this thread where all everyone has to do is vote. Thanks for the link though, I appreciate it. =)

I will tally the votes in about 2 hours, need another post below this one before I can write a new post though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Wet Birds
    September 2005
    7,969 Posts
    Just be sure to attack the darkness and you'll be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Alright, Imperial World won by quite far and I have now rolled a character.

Some things you need to decide now is

The sex of our character.
    There is no distinction between male and female in terms of rules.

The name of our character.
    I rolled two names for our character, male and female. Feel free to come up with something new if you want to, and maybe some nickname too.

MALE:
    Cortez Zuriel Hastus
    FEMALE:
    Odessa Mallia Gaia

A few skills needs to be picked.
    The skills that needs to be picked are:

Drive Ground Vehicle (Ag) OR Swim (S)
    Pistol Training (Primitive) OR Pistol Training (Las)
    Basic Weapon (Las) OR Basic Weapon (Primitive) OR Basic Weapon (SP)

Decide some sort of personality.
    This is mostly for flavour, but it can (and will) also decide certain options you might get later on and how the character might perform a few tasks.

Overall we got some pretty good rolls, we managed to score +2 wounds on our divination which is incredibly handy to have, especially since we're going to fight in the imperial guard (also known as lemmings train)

Once this is decided this kicks off with a chance to get some extra equipment before we ship off, I can let you buy skills / upgrade your stats if you want to before we leave for the stars, just tell me if you want to and I'll write a short summary in the next update on how you do it. =)

The Character:
    Name :TOBEDECIDED:
    Guardsman

Physical Build:
    MALE
    185cm tall, 70kg
    FEMALE
    175cm tall, 65kg

Appearance:
    Tan skin, blonde hair and grey eyes
    Imperial aquila tattoo

Origin:
    Born on a dead planet, a mining colony upon an airless moon.

Personality:
    -:-

-Skills-
    Speak Language (Low Gothic)[int]
    Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)

-Gear-

Knife
    Guard Flak Armour (Common)
    1 weeks worth of Corpse Starch rations
    Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer

Money: 75 thrones

XP available:400
    XP overall:400

Fate Points: 2
    WS [31]
    BS [29]
    S [32]
    T [29]
    Ag [31]
    Int [31]
    Per [35]
    WP [42]
    Fel [28]
    Wounds 15/15
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Male

Name: Aevon Malferus Cain

Skills: Drive ground Vehicle
    Pistol Training[Primitive]
    Basic Weapon [Special]

Personality: Cocky, but can hold his own in a fight. He is a Smooth talker. He is beginning to doubt his allegiance to the Emperor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,581 Posts
    Male

Name: Aevon Malferus Cain

Skills: Drive ground Vehicle
    Pistol Training[Primitive]
    Basic Weapon [Special]

Personality: Cocky, but can hold his own in a fight. He is a Smooth talker. He is beginning to doubt his allegiance to the Emperor.
    I vote for this idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    OP, you comin' back soon? I think we've got a character.

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    OP, you comin' back soon? I think we've got a character.
    Relax, it will take some time between updates.

980.257.M39
    Guryan
    Segmentum Pacificus

It was less than 24 hours until the imperial ship would leave your home, and the lucky chosen who had been selected to join his good fight would have to be on the ship before it left or branded heretics.
    Only 24 hours to say farewell to those you loved, to say your prayers and to get your gear. Most of the gear issued to you would be on that ship, but there was no telling where you might go and having an extra ace up your sleeve could be something that might save you.

"I guess I'll be needing this" you think to yourself as you look over the pickaxe you "accidently" took home with you last night. The untold tales you had heard about the various xenos you would soon face had mostly been grizzly affairs, where the fate of planets would be decided in close combat.
    The pickaxe would serve you well, and you knew your way around it.

Clothes would be handed to you by the Adeptus Munitorium you were told, so there would be no need packing any of that. You still look through your drawer filled with clothes, since there were something else there that you knew you would have great use of out there.

A revolver, inherited by your father and his father before him.

This gun had been with your family for a very long time, your grandfather had even said it had been used with great success during the Plague of Unbelief, but that was four millenia ago, and you always discarded that story as an old mans ramblings.
    Nevertheless, it was a finely crafted revolver that had killed many men in its day. And now it would get a chance to purge the empire of xenos threatening the imperium and the emperor.

The emperor, what good had he ever done to you? You scoff, and pack the revolver and twelve bullets in a backpack. You grab all your savings and head out to the market to see if there is anything else you might get.

980.257.M39 T-22 hours
    The marketplace
    Guryan
    Segmentum Pacificus

The marketplace is filled to the brim with people, and you have a hard time pushing through the crowds. You walk by some sort of shop and you hear a man calling out to you.

"I said come in, don't stand around." You enter the shop. There is a slight hint of some sort incense and the walls are adorned with weapons of all kinds, armours and other various trinkets. The lighting is provided by candles, the very candles you assume give out that particular smell you can't quite place.

"I see you're a man soon heading out, maybe you would be interested in a finely crafted rifle? Or a shotgun, blessed by the saint of El'th Anam?"
    You look at the man, its hard to make out any facial features in this gloomy light but he seems genuine.
    "Maybe you're interested in a lasgun? Finest quality, produced on one of the many forge worlds, or perhaps a trinket of silvery steel, known to have saved the lives of many who have worn it?"

The rifle itself is for all intents and purposes equal to the lasgun in terms of rules, but counts as Basic Weapon (SP). It has a capacity of only 20 bullets in every magazine though. Costs 75 thrones
    The shotgun is of Common Quality, but might be blessed in some way. Costs 70 thrones
    The lasgun appears to be a Common Quality lasgun, it looks special, but you've never seen one before so it could just be how a regular lasgun looks like. Costs 75 thrones
    The trinket is of silversteel, and is adorned by two hammers crossed with a pickaxe in the middle. The mark of El'th Anam, a patron saint for your sector who lead the revolution during the Plague Of Unbelief, and was personally responsible for the death of ten thousand men it is told.

There is ammunition for pretty much any weapon you could hope to find here that are common, various swords axes and so forth adorns the wall and some type of armour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Ask about the price of the Trinket, and if it's reasonable enough, buy it. It may be useful.

The funny was for that clever STALKER reference with the doorman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    7,485 Posts
    Shoot the shop keep with your revolver and steal the trinket. Surely, in the size and roar of the crowd, no one would hear the shot or notice you walking away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    980.257.M39 T-22 hours
    The marketplace
    Guryan
    Segmentum Pacificus

You decide that frag it, this man is trying to do an unhonest trade, and you have to kill him. Already having the hand on your pistol, you draw the gun and let loose a shot and hit him square in the chest! The man fumbles as the shot hits him and he staggers back for half a second before quickly drawing his own gun, taking a shot at you!

He misses and the shot hits the wall behind you, and you decide that he's not going to get another chance! You squeeze the trigger once again but the recoil is more than you can handle and the shot whistles by him. You brace yourself and let another shot break the silence again and this time the bullet hits the leg of the man, and he lets out a scream as the bullet tears a hole in it.

"You fucking bastard, I will kill you!" the man screams as he squeezes off another two shots, but the pain is excruciating and the shots fly wildy by. Now is the time to put him down, and you squeeze the trigger once again. The recoil doesn't bother you as much this time and you pluck off two shots both tearing through his left arm and right leg, and the man lets out one last agonizing scream before he falls down to the ground, face down into the puddle of blood now adorning the ground.

You let out a sigh of relief, surely the trinket must've saved you somehow, as you look back and the blasts from his laspistol had torn through the thin fabric separating the store from the streets right behind you! You decide to quickly grab the trinket and run out of the store, not looking back.

I had to spend two fate points (soft, so you'll regain them in 24 hours) to win this fight, you lost 5 bullets in the fight but gained 3 insanity points and 1 corruption point for attacking a man who was innocent (well, as innocent as a merchant can be!), and the trinket ofcourse.

So, do you:

Go and shop some more?
    The market is a pretty huge place and there are stores that sell pretty much anything you could hope to find in an imperial world, weapons, food, armour, that kind of stuff.

Go home and prepare yourself for your departure?
    Next update will get us thrown into the real thing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Go murd- I mean go shop some more.

You're bound to find a good deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    980.257.M39 T-20 hours
    The marketplace
    Guryan
    Segmentum Pacificus

You decide to have a good look around the market before heading home. You take your time, this might possibly be the last time you see home after all and even though you're anxious to get out of this backwards planet you still feel a hint of sadness.

There are a few stores that might be of interest, there is "Hals Gunstore" that you know sells various types of ammunition and, if you know him, even explosives. You're not sure how well-provisioned you will be once you drop down on some emperor-forsaken planet so it might be a good idea to stock up on some ammunition for your shotgun and your revolver.

You could also shop some food, booze and the ilk at the bazaar, or head on down to an old friend of yours who is a gunsmith. He could possibly do some minor modifications to your weapons if you want to, but it will cost you.

Thinking it over, you decide to...

Shop some of the following items.

You can buy the following items, price first and amount after that.

Shotgun Shells 1/20 (Unlimited supply)
    Regular bullets 1/20 (Unlimited supply)
    Dumdum Bullets [Does extra damage, but armour is twice as effective] 5/6 (you can only buy 12 of these)
    Man-stopper bullets [Extra penetration] 5/6 (you can only buy 12 of these)

Frag grenades 10/1 (you can only buy three of these)
    Fire bomb [Imagine a molotov cocktail], 10/1 (you can only buy five of these)

Exterminator attachment [a one-shot flamer], 35/1 (can only buy one)
    Melee attachment for your shotgun [makes it count as a spear in melee combat], 25/1
    Pistol grip [for shotgun, lets you use it one-handed without penalty, but range is halved], 25/1

Lho-sticks [think cigarettes], 10/1 (Unlimited supply)
    Corpse starch rations [Food], 10/1 (Unlimited supply
    Recaf [Coffee], 5/1 (Unlimited supply)
    Rotgut Booze [booze, duh], 10/1 (Unlimited supply)
    Stimm [a powerful drug that lets you fight on without hindrance even if you're severely wounded], 25/1 (you can only buy 2 of these)

Head home.
    Next update will have us shopping the items you want to shop and our first taste of battle! I'll update this on sunday so take your time and decide what you want to buy. And no, you won't be able to brutally murder anyone now. Save the wrath for the emperors enemies, and bring swift justice to the emperor-forsaken xenos!

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Go buy some booze and go back to the weapons store. While the clerk is tending to something else, put the gun up to his head and fire.

And easy kill, with 1 bullet wasted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Yeah... no.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,263 Posts
    Thread title is something I would usually see on SA

32. Post #32
    January 2010
    6,544 Posts
    Buy the Exterminator and Melee attachments to put on your shotgun.

Edited:

It's a quote from 40K.

33. Post #33
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Buy the Exterminator and Melee attachments to put on your shotgun.

Edited:

It's a quote from 40K.
    Yes, I thought about just naming the thread "Let's play Dark Heresy [CYOA] but it doesn't quite catch your eye, so I went with a quote that fits the imperial guard so well. It also stands out more. =)

34. Post #34
    September 2009
    1,359 Posts
    Fire bombs!

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Ok, let's hope to god you grabbed the trinket before. Go and get a pint, and then go to the gun store. Maybe with your smooth talking, you could get a good deal.

Edited:

Then, bring the pint to your mate the gunsmith. Maybe he'll let you have a deal as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    Ok, let's hope to god you grabbed the trinket before.
    Me on the second update.[/quote posted:
    You decide to quickly grab the trinket and run out of the store, not looking back.
    980.257.M39 T-19.5 hours
    The marketplace
    Guryan
    Segmentum Pacificus

After some careful thought you decide that it would be a good idea to improve your shotgun. Prefereably of the kind that improves your chances of surviving melee.
    The walk to Hals Gunstore is about 10 minutes or so, the building itself looking like a fortress with only a few smaller windows protected by steel grating and a huge door that looks like it could withstand a melta bomb.

You knock on the door. First three fast knocks, then one heavy knock, and later two knocks. The door is opened by a giant man you've come to know as just "Big Ben", a man towering at almost two and a half meter tall.
    He grunts at you and you enter, with him closing the door behind you.

"Well if it isn't Cain, how are you you old fragger? Are you shipping out tomorrow?" Hal steps out of the shadows and you notice a big grin on his face.

"Hal you son of a grox, it's been a long time!" You reply before nodding, saying that he is correct. You ask him what he's got for you, and he smiles slyly before picking up a small box from the floor.

"This my friend, is an exterminator. It's just like one of those hand flamers you've probably seen, but it's a one-shot business. Really handy if you ever need to clear out a room or if you've run out of ammo in your rifle and the enemy is still there.
    I also have this" He says as he picks up something enveloped in a filthy rag. It's a melee attachment that looks like it could fit a shotgun.

"This one you just screw onto your rifle and you can put a knife or anything else thats pointy." He looks you over, noticing how surprised you are.

"Impressed huh? I usually wouldn't sell anyone an exterminator, but I'll make an exception for you my friend."

"So how much do you want for them both?" You ask. "You can have them for 55 thrones, a really good price considering what it is." He responds.
    "I'll take them. Do you happen to have any fire bombs in stock?" You ask, and he nods. "I'll take two of those then." You say.

980.351.M39
    D-day
    Boras Minor
    Segmentum Ultima

The drop pod was speeding down the atmosphere of Boras Minor, an imperial world in the Segmentum Ultima-sector of the empire. You didn't know what this planet was, and you didn't care. The only thing you knew was that there were heretics on the ground and-
    The drop pod shakes violently as flak pounds the outer armour of it, these bastards meant business!
    "Drop in 10, 9, 8" a soothing female voice counted down. This is it, landfall!

The drop pod shakes once more before becoming eerily calm. "On your feet soldiers, lock and load!" The vox radio crackles as the doors open. A cracking noise and you rush out, ready to deliver the emperors wrath!

There is fighting going on everywhere around you, you look to your sides and you notice a group of three men, dressed in rags charging at you with their weapons over their heads! You try to remember your training as you let loose two shots from your shotgun. They both go wide, hitting either the ground or the air. Blast it! You stumble as you try to get two new shells into the chamber and the men gets closer.

The men gets finally up close and swings their swords at you, but they all miss as you dodge them. You roll around and squeeze the trigger again, but the shots do not hit their intended targets. What the frag is wrong with this shotgun?!
    The men do not stop in their furious pursuit and this time they connect their swords, hitting the chestpiece of your flak armour. The blades doesn't even make a scratch, praise the emperor!

You quickly try to stab one of the men, but it doesn't quite connect, only scratching one of the men. He first looks at the wound, then at you. He smiles and screams out before taking a swing at your own arm, and a burning sensation sweeps through your body as the blade cuts a huge gash in your left arm.

"You shall be purged by his fire!" You yell out and fire the exterminator. It hits one of the men square on and he's catch ablaze, the other two men dodges your feeble attempt.

One of the men, now clearly worked up in a frenzy jumps you with his sword, cutting up your left thigh. You let out a loud scream and in retaliation you thrust your shotgun with its melee attachment at the enemys head, nearly tearing his neck in two! Another trooper jumps the other man, knocking him down and bashes his chest before being thrown away from him. The heretic who was set ablaze lets out one last blood curling scream before falling down silent for the last time.

"In the name of the emperor, die! You shout as you take another stab at the heretic who has so severely wounded you, piercing his chest. The man falls down almost immediatly, and your friend seems to have smashed in the head of his enemy. You try to get your bearings, blood gushing from your leg and arm. The pain is almost overbearing, but you have a goal to accomplish before you can even think about resting. You don't recognize your friend, but he looks at you, as if he's not sure what to do.

The voxradio crackles to life and a corporal from your batallion is requesting immediate backup. He's reporting some fierce fighting due west of your position. You look to your comrade who is clearly frightened, and you look up ahead. A flak cannon is still tearing up the sky.

After some careful thought, you decide to...

Push on forward, the flak cannon needs to be silenced before it can shoot down any more drop pods!
    or...
    Head on over and provide support to your batallion-mates.

We got badly wounded and our exterminator is used up, the melee attachment came to really good use though!
    Earned 25 xp for surviving our first encounter with the enemy, we're pretty close to death now but we can softspend two fatepoints to regain 2d5 wounds if we want to.

37. Post #37
    May 2010
    10,942 Posts
    Yer an Imperial Guardsman. And Guardsmen are meant to be spent, not reserved.

Squeeze those fate points and go into the breech, if your mates don't survive then the Emperor wasn't with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2011
    2,034 Posts
    980.351.M39
    D-day
    Boras Minor
    Segmentum Ultima

"Alright, here's what we're going to do." You tell the other soldier, a man who appears to be in his mid 20's, physically fit and with hair as black as the void.
    "We're going to push on, and seize our objective. The emperor willing and the corporal will find the strength to lead his men to victory, we have to silence that flak or many more of our men will die."

The man nods in approval, and you get on your feet. You ignore the pain, muttering prayers to the emperor to show you how to carry on your task. "Emperor", you mutter under your breath, "Show me your omnipotence, give me the strength to carry on."

As you draw closer, the deafening roar of the flak cannon makes it near impossible to speak. The cannon is now about 20 meters away, and it's time to crawl closer to get within throwing range.

You take a deep breath, and start to crawl closer. There is two crewmen operating it, and one... no, two guards nearby. They have their backs turned to you, oblivious to the creeping death getting closer to them. Just as you're about to throw the fiery death towards your enemies a shot whistles by you. Blast it, your comrade is too eager!

The flak cannon turns silent and starts to turn towards you! You toss the firebomb, hitting the sweet spot! The two crewmen catch ablaze, but the cannon is still moving!

"The two guards, still recovering from the shock of the blast, shoot
    haphazardly toward you and your friend.

Your friend replies by sending a salvo of shots that strike the two dazed guards.

You try to get closer, noticing the cannon has stopped moving. There is smoke rising from the flak cannon,giving off a scent of charred flesh. The guards doesn't seem to notice you as they exchange fire with your friend, who finally manages to hit one of the guards in the head! The lasfire melts a big hole in his head, a pretty nasty sight.

The other guard is now shouting in some emperor-forbidden tongue, jumping up on the sandbags covering the area near the cannon and pops off two shots, both striking your friend! Standing alone, the man seems confident in his victory. He stands silent for a few seconds, before shouting again. This time he has a certain tone to his voice, as if he's mocking the dead.

He doesn't get a chance to do that for long, as another lasfire strikes him in his stomach. The force of the impact, or maybe the shock from getting hit causes him to spin around wildly, letting off a shot before falling silent for the last time.

Looking around, you don't seem to notice any other guards. Good. Your comrade rushes over to you, checking to see if you're still alive. He helps you up, the pain in your body isn't as intense as you'd thought it would be, but you're still hurting pretty badly.

"What squad are you with?" You ask the man. "120th Buran rifles, we scattered all over the place and the emperor knows where the rest of them are." he replies. You try to get your bearing, various banners fly all over the place, you spot the 81th to the west. To the north you can see the 1st engineer squadron, and to your east you spot the 43rd. The man looks to you, clearly expecting you to lead the way.
    You decide to...

Rally up with the 81st.
    or...
    Help the 1st engineer squadron.
    or...
    Join up with the 43rd.

You're not entirely sure what the task of each squadron is.

I'd also like to remind you that the more intricate the plan you write out the better I might let the outcome be, and doing things in unconventional ways might give us more experience if we manage to pull it off. Don't be afraid to debate what to do!

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    163 Posts
    Join up with the 43rd!

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,555 Posts
    Join the Engineers. They're always fun to be with.