1. Post #1

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I picked up a '95 Camaro the other day
    85,452 miles

I would of wanted a 3.8 V6 Manual
    But it's a 3.4 Automatic.
    It runs and drives. The tail lense has a crack in it. The front bumper has peeling clear. And the windshield has scratches from the wipers

At 85,000 miles, My mechanical concern would be the timing chain. I know they tend to last longer then the factory, but is this going to present a problem for me?

Does anyone have the same car that can vouch if its good or bad?

The only other bad is that it needs tires.

edit:
    100 posts aw yeah .

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    I can't vouch for the car but if it's chain driven rather than belt then you can expect 100k miles before having to worry about it, unlike belts they don't perish with time so you won't have to rush to get it replaced.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,326 Posts
    Only issue with the timing on that engine is if the tensioner wears out and it hops a tooth.. but that's not especially common.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,493 Posts
    Chains, if you don't overheat the engine or run it low on oil, can last forever. They eventually stretch but what really hurts them is heat. And what hurts the tensioner is lack of oil. So keep it checked and you could actually expect 150k-200k before that chain gives way, maybe more.

Point is, just keep an eye on it, keep up routine maintenance, and you'll be okay. GM V6s are reliable, they are bad about small water leaks, though. Keep an eye out and if you have a leak, FIX it. Most of the time the 3.4/3.8 are sitting around with blown head gaskets because they had a water leak and the owner forgot or neglected to repair it.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    Another thing to note with chains is that when the tensioner does start to give up you'll notice a rattle at higher revs, normally only heard when you rev the car with the bonnet open but with listening out for when you get the car. A replacement isn't too expensive.