1. Post #1
    August 2006
    61 Posts
    I'm planning on getting a new cellphone,
    but i'm not sure which one i should get.

Samsung Galaxy s 2
    Motorola Atrix
    Htc Sensation

or maybe the stupid Iphone 4? :P

that's the Major devices, if you like some other good ones ,tell me! :)

2. Post #2
    Heineken made me rich
    June 2005
    4,677 Posts
    zte blade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    HTC Inc.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    this is a severely dated phone and has the worst battery life of any android device ever made

the galaxy s 2 is a good phone all around get that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5

July 2011
    148 Posts
    zte blade.
    If he has the GS2 as a choice, why

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    If he has the GS2 as a choice, why
    Money (or lack thereof)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    If money is no object and you're on a network that can support it, you have no reason whatsoever to pass over the SGSII, unless you need a keyboard or a ruggedized build.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    941 Posts
    I have a Droid, but I've also modded the shit out of it. It's about 4x faster, and gets about 2.5 days of battery life.

But you might try out a Droid 3. It's the most up-to-date.

9. Post #9
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    I'm going to say now that we're on the precipice of HTC's actual phones that are competitive with the SGSII, ie the HTC Ruby, which is the Mytouch 4G's camera with Sensation form factor w/ 1.5 GHz dual core, 1 GB of RAM, the damn works.

For AT&T there is the upcoming HTC Holiday which might be worth looking into.

If you want HTC phones I would guess it would be worth your time to wait and get a more polished product. If you want Motorola, the Droid 3 if you want a keyboard or wait for the Droid Bionic which should be out by September. If you want Samsung await the arrival of the SGSII for your carrier.

Edited:

Early adopters of phones are going to get fucked, basically it's a wait and see deal for the second wave of new tech to really jump into the waters for a phone that is polished.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,425 Posts
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/...o-acquire.html
    Edit: I actually posted this in the wrong thread. But hey, might as well wait and see what Gogotorola do.

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    http://www.slashgear.com/htc-vigor-m...on-2-11171188/

Verizon has something interesting coming from HTC. If you're okay with what is essentially an overclocked single core and another overclocked single core taken out of phones like the HTC Desire HD/Thunderbolt/Incredible S/Desire S with more RAM and some other stuff, then it's fine. If you wanted faster single core performance too, for Qualcomm you have to wait until Krait, Samsung has that now, and Nvidia is just... I don't know.

Edited:

Holy fuck.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,132 Posts
    Got money? Samsung Galaxy S II. No money? ZTE Blade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    Galaxy S 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    this is a severely dated phone and has the worst battery life of any android device ever made

the galaxy s 2 is a good phone all around get that
    Dated, but it's still a better processor than the god damn ZTE Blade. If battery life is an issue, there are $10 extended batteries on Amazon that are more than triple the capacity.

15. Post #15
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    The HTC Inc 2/Incredible S has very good battery life from what I read.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    Dated, but it's still a better processor than the god damn ZTE Blade. If battery life is an issue, there are $10 extended batteries on Amazon that are more than triple the capacity.
    or you could just get a modern phone with a modern battery life lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    ZTE skate

Edited:

better than blade

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,325 Posts
    Oh god how wrong could you be..

Most, if not all modern Android phones I have used have AWFUL battery life. Modern phone does not equal "modern battery life" I have found - infact, a "modern battery life" is actually a "shite battery life"..

19. Post #19
    January 2008
    912 Posts
    Tmobile G2x

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts

Most, if not all modern Android phones I have used have AWFUL battery life. Modern phone does not equal "modern battery life" I have found - infact, a "modern battery life" is actually a "shite battery life"..
    Galaxy S II has great battery life according to reviews.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    Enjoy your not so snappy Blade then. My original Inc battery is fine, but I use it so damn often (GPS) that I need an extended battery.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    Enjoy your not so snappy Blade then. My original Inc battery is fine, but I use it so damn often (GPS) that I need an extended battery.
    i'll be enjoying my nexus s because i'm not a dumbass who buys nearly two year old phones

Edited:

sorry you're a retard most phones now have a pretty decent battery life if you aren't buying budget ass shit phones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    Atrix 4G BTW has one of the biggest batteries on the market, if you know how to optimize the battery life for around 200-300 mA drain screen on and 1-10 mA drain screen off you'll be fucking golden for battery life.

24. Post #24
    May 2010
    913 Posts
    i'll be enjoying my nexus s because i'm not a dumbass who buys nearly two year old phones

Edited:

sorry you're a retard most phones now have a pretty decent battery life if you aren't buying budget ass shit phones
    You need to calm your shit before you start posting. All smartphones nowadays have terrible batteries compared to non-smartphones.

25. Post #25
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    17,391 Posts
    except the nexus s is on over a year old hardware?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    You need to calm your shit before you start posting. All smartphones nowadays have terrible batteries compared to non-smartphones.
    relatively speaking - the droid incredible has quite literally the worst measurable battery life among android smartphones. suggesting some one a phone that literally is not only on like 2nd generation android hardware but is also incapable of making through half a day with reasonable usage is dumb

except the nexus s is on over a year old hardware?
    which is why I recommended the gs2??? nexus s is cool and all but the galaxy s2 is rad to the max
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    M_B
    September 2005
    17,391 Posts
    oh okay i guess now that i really read it all and think about it that all makes complete perfect sense????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,427 Posts
    The SGS II is the best android device out there overall. Best CPU, Best GPU, Best screen, thinnest and fastest. Hunt3r.j2 appears to have a vested interest in people buying HTC devices.

Hunt3r.j2 doesn't possess the technical knowledge to understand that HTC releasing a device with the MSM8620 running 300MHz faster will not significantly increase the speed of the device. It's limited by the architecture of the cores which is most similar to an A8 while all the new CPUs use A9s. So regardless of how much HTC wishes to make the fastest device they simply can not. Another big issue is their UI taking large amounts of resources to run.

Edited:

Now you live in the US. The best devices I can recommend RIGHT NOW on Verizon are the Droid X2 and the Droid 3. On AT&T I'd grab the Atrix and on T-Mobile I'd grab the G2X. Sprint bet their money on a 3D device and at the moment they have no devices worth the money.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    relatively speaking - the droid incredible has quite literally the worst measurable battery life among android smartphones. suggesting some one a phone that literally is not only on like 2nd generation android hardware but is also incapable of making through half a day with reasonable usage is dumb

which is why I recommended the gs2??? nexus s is cool and all but the galaxy s2 is rad to the max
    I'm not going to fight you about this, but as long as you don't run around with GPS on all day and brightness maxed, it lasts from 5:45am to 7:00pm (after streaming down podcasts over 3g and playing words with friends for an hour).

Not only that, but you were the one promoting the ZTE Blade, not the Nexus S. If you have the option to get a better phone, by all means do so. I'm saying that recommending the blade is a a bad recommendation, based on the 400Mhz difference in processor speed and mod communities.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,427 Posts
    I'm not going to fight you about this, but as long as you don't run around with GPS on all day and brightness maxed, it lasts from 5:45am to 7:00pm (after streaming down podcasts over 3g and playing words with friends for an hour).

Not only that, but you were the one promoting the ZTE Blade, not the Nexus S. If you have the option to get a better phone, by all means do so. I'm saying that recommending the blade is a a bad recommendation, based on the 400Mhz difference in processor speed and mod communities.
    If a phone is incapable of lasting all day with the brightness maxed and GPS enabled it's not worth the money. I keep my SGS maxed brightness with 3G, Bluetooth, GPS and wifi enabled. It lasts me the entire day listening to music, texting, steaming HD youtube and taking pictures/videos.

Also you're definitely right that the Nexus S is a much better option than the blade. But don't just attribute that to the 400MHz cpu speed difference. Remember, the Nexus S uses an ARMv7 cpu and the Blade uses an ARMv6 one.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,698 Posts
    If a phone is incapable of lasting all day with the brightness maxed and GPS enabled it's not worth the money. I keep my SGS maxed brightness with 3G, Bluetooth, GPS and wifi enabled. It lasts me the entire day listening to music, texting, steaming HD youtube and taking pictures/videos.

Also you're definitely right that the Nexus S is a much better option than the blade. But don't just attribute that to the 400MHz cpu speed difference. Remember, the Nexus S uses an ARMv7 cpu and the Blade uses an ARMv6 one.
    I'm versing the blade with the Inc, and in the Inc's favor, it has a better processor and it runs fine, compared to a 400Mhz slower processor. The Nexus S is a completely different story.

As for battery life, you're comparing the best android phone 1.5 years ago to the best android phone now. Of course you can run around with 3G, GPS, and bluetooth on 24/7, but older phones have more wasteful GPS components, combined with lackluster batteries. I can enable GPS and bluetooth through the notification bar, so it doesn't bug me in the slightest to turn it on when I need it.

The thing is, though, that battery life isn't really a decent deciding factor with a lot of the extended batteries costing next to nothing anyhow. If you really need an extended battery, you can do so for a cheap price. My phone runs just fine, but I'd prefer to have a little extra juice when I need it a lot.

Edited:

Oh, and before I forget, by GPS, I mean Navigation, not the actual component (although the component does it's fair share of battery drain when it's trying to lock on inside a building).

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    The SGS II is the best android device out there overall. Best CPU, Best GPU, Best screen, thinnest and fastest. Hunt3r.j2 appears to have a vested interest in people buying HTC devices.

Hunt3r.j2 doesn't possess the technical knowledge to understand that HTC releasing a device with the MSM8620 running 300MHz faster will not significantly increase the speed of the device. It's limited by the architecture of the cores which is most similar to an A8 while all the new CPUs use A9s. So regardless of how much HTC wishes to make the fastest device they simply can not. Another big issue is their UI taking large amounts of resources to run.

Edited:

Now you live in the US. The best devices I can recommend RIGHT NOW on Verizon are the Droid X2 and the Droid 3. On AT&T I'd grab the Atrix and on T-Mobile I'd grab the G2X. Sprint bet their money on a 3D device and at the moment they have no devices worth the money.
    Right now your choices are on the money, or the GS2 if you're will to go off contract and are on a GSM carrier.

In the future there will be phones that exceed the GS2 in terms of screen resolution, and a RGB stripe 720p P-IPS monitor or equivalent would mean that the GSII's 800x480 screen may be harder to accept.

OMAP 4 processors also apparently are faster than Exynos clock for clock, with Tegra 2 a close second, so Motorola's future smartphones should be interesting to see.

I don't have a vested interest in HTC, just a vested interest in phones being released 2-3 months from now, because I already have a contract and it's not going to be over for another year and a half, so I see no reason to look at phones right now. Sense UI may fill you with rage, but there are people who like it and are okay with it, and those who don't like it will get rid of it and either run AOSP or HTC roms with sense removed. Seeing as how we're already at 1 GB of memory and I wouldn't expect to see 2 GB by the next year or two, Sense will pretty much be negligible in CPU/RAM usage.

The next gen smartphone war is far from over, you can fully expect Samsung to be replacing the GSII as it's flagship with SAMOLED+ HD screens, higher clocked Exynos/Tegra2 SoCs, LTE, and the works in general.

I suspect a gigantic tidal wave of new and improved phones to steal the thunder from the iPhone 5 launch.

Edited:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4559/t...phers-wanted/3

Interesting performance numbers, Snapdragon's GPU is pretty damn snappy, and the CPU does lag behind, but it's not terrible, at least, not yet. Qualcomm's Adreno GPUs are pretty much the best in town. The CPU is going to have to wait until Krait to become competitive, which should be around middle of April next year, but depending on how fast Kal-El is and other upcoming SoCs, it could possibly be too little, too late.

Edited:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/07/21...ime-this-year/

Well just kidding apparently Krait will show up end of calendar 2011 and probably in force with smartphones shipping in 2012.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    M_B
    September 2005
    17,391 Posts
    i have the evo 3d and i'd say it's worth the money. I couldn't care any less about the 3d capabilities than I already do, I like the device for pretty much everything else. the battery sucks donkey balls but it did with the first evo as well so that wasn't a shocker

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    i have the evo 3d and i'd say it's worth the money. I couldn't care any less about the 3d capabilities than I already do, I like the device for pretty much everything else. the battery sucks donkey balls but it did with the first evo as well so that wasn't a shocker
    I would guess that the battery issue has something to do with the 3D components or the WiMax radio, because the Sensation is similar and gets good battery life for a smartphone.

I'd imagine custom ROMs would fix it.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,427 Posts
    Qualcomm's Adreno GPUs are pretty much the best in town.
    You linked to a site that didn't benchmark the mali-400 chip. The Mali can power up to 3 1080p displays simultaneously. It can also output 1080p stereoscopic 3D running at 70Hz.

Then of course they're comparing the mid level OMAP4430 and Nvidia's Tegra 2 from 2010 to Qualcomm's 2011 flagship and claiming that qualcomm makes the best CPUs and GPUs. They also "forgot" to bench the SGS II. I guess they wanted to make the Qualcomm devices looks nice but people who do their research unlike yourself will do more than just pass off the benchmarks as accurate.

36. Post #36
    Just lost $10.
    May 2009
    3,328 Posts
    I agree. The 3D is a cool feature to have and it's not as if HTC traded great hardware for a gimmick. Battery does suck dog shit though.

37. Post #37
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    You linked to a site that didn't benchmark the mali-400 chip. The Mali can power up to 3 1080p displays simultaneously. It can also output 1080p stereoscopic 3D running at 70Hz.

Then of course they're comparing the mid level OMAP4430 and Nvidia's Tegra 2 from 2010 to Qualcomm's 2011 flagship and claiming that qualcomm makes the best CPUs and GPUs. They also "forgot" to bench the SGS II. I guess they wanted to make the Qualcomm devices looks nice but people who do their research unlike yourself will do more than just pass off the benchmarks as accurate.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/s...00-benchmarked

No, actually they're one of the more respected tech websites out there, and they haven't actually finished evaluating the GSII. They only have preliminary benches, and the full ones aren't due out for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,427 Posts
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4177/s...00-benchmarked

No, actually they're one of the more respected tech websites out there, and they haven't actually finished evaluating the GSII. They only have preliminary benches, and the full ones aren't due out for a while.
    Are you kidding? It takes all of two hours maximum to do benchmarks of a device with several different benchmarking tools.

Also I never said anandtech was a non respected site so I'm not sure why you said that. I simply pointed out that the benchmarks were flawed.

I notice those preliminary benchmarks are done on an early device using 2.3.1. There were tons of optimizations done for the final release and it's pathetic that they haven't benchmarked a device that's been out for over a month.

Edited:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/g...-cry-in-shame/

Nearly doubles the Sensation in both smartbench productivity and gaming. And looking at the OS version these are final software build benches.

Edited:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/15/re...alaxy-s-ii-4g/

Nearly doubled the MFLOPS in linpack compared to the G2X and achieved almost 20MFLOPS more than the Sensation.

Doubled the speed of the Sensation in Sunspider. Suffice to say ananadtech doesn't need to finalize anything. Because the proof that the exynos chip+mali-400 is the fastest has already been presented over and over again.

39. Post #39
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,478 Posts
    If you're using verizon and have 4G service in your area the Droid Charge is not a bad choice.

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    2,867 Posts
    Are you kidding? It takes all of two hours maximum to do benchmarks of a device with several different benchmarking tools.
    Yes, but their "full" evaluation is basically benchmarks and a full evaluation of the phone and day to day use over multiple weeks.

Edited:

If the GSII is definitively faster than okay man, either way Qualcomm is a big player in the market, seeing as how some GSII variants will have Qualcomm SoCs, they're going to have to release Krait sooner than later.