1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    Colour... maybe... eventually, not until non-colour is emulated to perfection though.

Edited:

*video*
    And so begins the adventures of Technicolor and his Charmander Divran, and their eternal rival Garry Newman.

Excellent work guys, I think we can agree that this is one of the more difficult undertakings done in Lua thus far. First physics modulation, then an actual ROM emulator coded in Lua? Next thing we're going to see is people coding entire C++ mods that work off of GMod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    could someone post some roms that they have converted because so far everything i converted hasnt worked, and i get this error :

[addons\gbz80\lua\entities\gem_emulator\lib\gmb_cb_ opcodes.lua:74] attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'R1' (a nil value)
    Edited:

even worse:

il value)
    [addons\gbz80\lua\entities\gem_emulator\lib\8080.lu a:202] attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)
    [addons\gbz80\lua\entities\gem_emulator\lib\8080.lu a:92] attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'byte' (a nil value)
    Edited:

[img] http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9...tgrass0058.jpg [/img]

3. Post #123
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    the Nintendo logo will be distorted when the rom isn't valid.

4. Post #124
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    Ah , so do you know how to make them valid? or could you share some of the roms you already have working?

5. Post #125
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    I love this!

6. Post #126
    Does it need a module?
    Edit:
    Nevermind, doesn't need modules. Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Ah , so do you know how to make them valid? or could you share some of the roms you already have working?
    Making a script atm to easily convert them.

8. Post #128
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    How the hell can I get the Pokemon game :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Faroe Islands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31490251/Hex...0Converter.zip

Extra the files, run convert.exe, drag and drop your .gb rom file into the window, if there's quotations remove them, will generate a file with the same name ending in _hex.txt.

If you don't trust using the .exe I can provide a the .py script if you have python installed.

If it doesn't work well, blame py2exe :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    Epic! Thanks.

Edited:

What's "my" .gb rom file?

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,589 Posts
    Playing the Little Mermaid on it :L Very nicely done. The only problems I see is on that game, and Tarzan, the character sprites have only the middle half of their body showing, not the head or legs. Also - I tried to play Thunderbirds but it crashed on loading.

But that sort of stuff is expected aye?

12. Post #132
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    Wow, I'm way to dumb to use these new addons. I gotta get this working, fast. :P

13. Post #133
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31490251/Hex...0Converter.zip

Extra the files, run convert.exe, drag and drop your .gb rom file into the window, if there's quotations remove them, will generate a file with the same name ending in _hex.txt.

If you don't trust using the .exe I can provide a the .py script if you have python installed.

If it doesn't work well, blame py2exe :P
    testing ...

- this is a bookmark post, i will edit it when ive done testing-

Edited:

I just got my first pokemon on garrysmod! Im so happy !!

Edited:

my rival stole my pokemon ;( i feel betrayed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,943 Posts
    Please say that Gameboy Color/Advanced is on its way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

15. Post #135
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Playing the Little Mermaid on it :L Very nicely done. The only problems I see is on that game, and Tarzan, the character sprites have only the middle half of their body showing, not the head or legs. Also - I tried to play Thunderbirds but it crashed on loading.
    It's likely Thunderbirds is MBC2. No MBC1, MBC3 or ROM games should crash outright although video glitches will probably be common.

Please say that Gameboy Color/Advanced is on its way
    Colour... maybe when Gameboy is 100% finished. GBA? Not in the foreseeable future, sorry.

16. Post #136
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    Could someone maybe show us a vid. how to inport a .gb file? Would be nice knowing how to get this thing working.

17. Post #137
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    You open up the HexToText converter the OP supplied, you drag you .gb file onto the console it should now have opened, then you drag the new text file it made into data/stuff/gbz80/

not that hard? i will suply you with converted files if you want though

18. Post #138
    April 2010
    2,547 Posts
    I realy want Pokemon.. :P so it would be great getting some converted files. (;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Faroe Islands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    I'll just confirm that gold/silver don't work currently, not entirely sure why (They use the same cart hardware as R/B) but I'll be looking into it.

It's almost certainly a cart emulation error rather than a CPU error.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    Do you know when saving will work? :3

Edited:

Pokemon Yellow ( French Version , sorry :P ) : http://www.mediafire.com/?zlwd91pbr2cn2vx
    Tetris ( English version this time !! ) : http://www.mediafire.com/?t5vk22g7f6q3fdp

Edited:

Is there going to be the possibilty to have a sort of action reply window we can open before starting any game? Would be a great addition :P

Edited:

You cant press more than 1 control at a time ( eg : you cant press forwards and leftwards at the same time :/ )

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,589 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,252 Posts
    Here's a few of the games I converted inside this RAR. It includes:
    - 007 James Bond
    - Aladdin
    - Alien vs Predators
    - Barbie
    - Batman
    - Blues brothers
    - Bugs Bunny - Crazy Castle 2
    - Dennis the Menace
    - Flintstones
    - Ghostbusters 2
    - Gremlins 2
    - Home Alone 2
    - Lion King
    - Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
    - Robocop 2
    - Simpsons: Crusty's Funhouse
    - Snoopy: Magic Show
    - Toy Story
    - Worms

Didn't really check through them all, but most of the ones I have tried worked.
    Isn't this warez? (Not that I have any idea how to get a legal copy, but still)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    January 2010
    114 Posts
    well gameboy is dead for many years i believe the copyrights must have died
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    So? In your point of view the TF2 gamemode is warez too just because you can play TF2 without buying it. In your point of view Gmod can be count as a potential warez source. But it's not. + I bet no one from Nintendo will check if their things are made in gmod. And Gmod has sold more than 1 million copies but how many if these players actually play? What I'm trying to say is that 1. - Not everyone will download this awesome thing, 2. Even if we say that 1 million people will download it, Nintendo have many more fans and they won't even notcie this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

25. Post #145
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,087 Posts
    So? In your point of view the TF2 gamemode is warez too just because you can play TF2 without buying it.
    Anyone can play the real TF2 without buying it.
    Additionally, your example is wrong: the TF2 gamemode only supplies Lua code, which has been written by _Kilburn, not Valve. It doesn't allow you to play TF2 without buying it (back then when you needed to buy it) because it doesn't have the models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,589 Posts
    It's not the .gb rom, just .txt files with the hexidecimal code within. If you think that it's warez, then I will remove it. I'm not that bothered, it's just that others are bound to go "How will I use this?" and "I don't understand how to convert xyz!". It's more of a public service than me wanting to break their copyright.

27. Post #147
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,087 Posts
    It's not the .gb rom, just .txt files with the hexidecimal code within. If you think that it's warez, then I will remove it. I'm not that bothered, it's just that others are bound to go "How will I use this?" and "I don't understand how to convert xyz!". It's more of a public service than me wanting to break their copyright.
    The hexadecimal code that is actually a 1:1 representation of the .gb rom...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,589 Posts
    The hexadecimal code that is actually a 1:1 representation of the .gb rom...
    Aye, therefore I took down the link. I only posted it due to 'James xX' posting two links to his before me. I do apologise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

29. Post #149
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Ok so a few updates of what's currently being worked on.

I'm re-writing the GPU code from scratch working on a scan-line basis, this should fix the majority, if not all of the graphical glitches. I'm also optimising the whole scan-line cycle and interrupt routines which should increase performance a few %.

I'm also going to re-write the sprite code to use its own data structure, I'm not entirely sure how well this will work out but hopefully it'll mean better performance and make it easier to support 16 bit sprites (only 8 bit sprites are supported currently, not many games use 16 bit sprites anyway).

I'm going to add support for MBC2, fix the MBC1 and MBC3 support to have proper checks for inaccessible hardware and also add the battery backed real-time clock that several games use.

And last but not least I'll be adding proper ingame save support (NOT save states). the battery backed ram will be automatically dumped to a _sav.txt file with a console command. (Doing it every time the ram is turned off like emulators do will cause lag spikes, I'll give it a try and see how bad it is though.)

Divran is going to be working on the networking code such as keeping all the key-sync's in sequence in MP and sending keyframes where necessary. This is probably the hardest part of the project as resources are limited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,943 Posts
    Why not data-stream the hex used by a player to the server and distribute it to all other players, and make the players only send their key strokes (i know, when the game uses random values it will stuff up the hole thing), but maybe also upload the mem-spaces?
    :'( sorry if you think my idea is crap :(

31. Post #151
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Why not data-stream the hex used by a player to the server and distribute it to all other players, and make the players only send their key strokes (i know, when the game uses random values it will stuff up the hole thing), but maybe also upload the mem-spaces?
    That's what we're doing, the main problem is keeping all the keystrokes in sync to the exact cycle but we think we've got a way by making the input bytes persist for that frame. and updating keystrokes by the frame in a single umsg every second.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,748 Posts
    This will never work, sadly. As far as I am aware, the maximum amount of data that can be sent in a console command is 253 bytes if you use a single character for the command. On top of that, you need to encode special characters, which will further reduce how much you can send per command, and there is also likely a limit to how many console commands you can send per second.

Combine that with the fact that order matters, so you need to send an index value also, further reducing how much you can send.

A lot of roms are between 65,536 and 262,144 bytes in size - assuming console command always arrive in the order you send them always ( so you could drop the index value ), you still have the issue of it taking hundreds of console commands to run.

So it would be EXTREMELY slow using standard Lua and wouldn't work out very well.

Then comes the copyright issues - distributing the roms is a copyright infringement as well as downloading them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    You cant press more than 1 control at a time ( eg : you cant press forwards and leftwards at the same time :/ )
    Yes you can.

I can also confirm that Pokemon Gold/Silver work now, and probably several other games that had saving in too and didn't work

Metroid II plays EXTREMELY well now.

Links awakening has sprite glitches.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Lua King Lua King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #154
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    I have noticed that some textures or what ever don't draw properly ( like for example in pokemon instead of having a briked road it will be pure white, and you can only get a glimpse of the true texture when entering a building so that the screen darkens )

35. Post #155
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Could you give me a screenshot of where this happens and a reference of what exactly should be there?

36. Post #156
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ruct0024v.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...truct0025.jpg/

Edited:

[addons\gbz80\lua\entities\gem_emulator\lib\gmb_opc odes.lua:246] attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
    [addons\gbz80\lua\entities\gem_emulator\lib\gmb_opc odes.lua:246] attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
    Thats from pokemon gold, the Nintendo logo shows up fine, and then i get spammed with that

37. Post #157
    January 2008
    108 Posts
    Pokemon Gold doesn't work because I haven't put the most recent version on SVN. The texture glitch looks like it's down to HDR Bloom, nothing can be really done about that except turning it off (I have it off anyway as I find the effect cheesy and distracting)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #158
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    I had it disabled tho

39. Post #159
    March 2010
    368 Posts
    YOU R AWESOME
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,312 Posts
    Would it be possible to play vs battles on pokemon with your friends in gmod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)