READ EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!
What is this?
This is a collaboration project between us Facepunch mappers to make a large collection of textures; open, streamed, and constantly updated, automatically, to everyone involved.
How does it work?
Using Dropbox, we all have a linked/synchronized folder located in our material folder. When any of us add a file to this folder, the data is instantly synced to everyone else automatically. There is no downloading, no moving files, no effort; textures just show up exactly where they need to be for use.
What you need!
- Dropbox; create an account and install Dropbox.
- Invitation to the project; send me a PM with the email you used for Dropbox. (Make sure to accept the invitation on Dropbox.)
- Link Shell Extension
I've been invited! What do I do now?
1. Go to your Dropbox folder in My Documents. Right click the folder "Facepunch Collaboration Project" -> Pick Link Source.
2. Go to the materials folder of any Source game/mod that you use. Right click an empty space inside that folder -> Drop As -> Symbolic Link.
3. A folder should come up inside the materials folder called "Facepunch Collaboration Project", rename it to "facepunch".
4. Inside this folder, "facepunch", create a new folder named after your facepunch username. Mine would be "hostel".
You can now create any additional folders that you like inside the folder "your username" for organization and put any your newly creates textures/materials in there. They will be streamed to everyone else's material folders, ready for use. You can help other users improve their textures (with permission from the user) as well. How cool is that?
Nope. If we exceed the 2GB cap, I will upgrade to a 50GB account. I don't care what kind of textures you add, they can be from other games, photos, texture websites, or made yourself.
Hostel [Project Lead]