1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    READ EVERYTHING BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

What is this?

This is a collaboration project between us Facepunch mappers to make a large collection of textures; open, streamed, and constantly updated, automatically, to everyone involved.

How does it work?

Using Dropbox, we all have a linked/synchronized folder located in our material folder. When any of us add a file to this folder, the data is instantly synced to everyone else automatically. There is no downloading, no moving files, no effort; textures just show up exactly where they need to be for use.

What you need!

- Dropbox; create an account and install Dropbox.

- Invitation to the project; send me a PM with the email you used for Dropbox. (Make sure to accept the invitation on Dropbox.)

- Link Shell Extension

I've been invited! What do I do now?

1. Go to your Dropbox folder in My Documents. Right click the folder "Facepunch Collaboration Project" -> Pick Link Source.

2. Go to the materials folder of any Source game/mod that you use. Right click an empty space inside that folder -> Drop As -> Symbolic Link.

3. A folder should come up inside the materials folder called "Facepunch Collaboration Project", rename it to "facepunch".

4. Inside this folder, "facepunch", create a new folder named after your facepunch username. Mine would be "hostel".

You're Done!

You can now create any additional folders that you like inside the folder "your username" for organization and put any your newly creates textures/materials in there. They will be streamed to everyone else's material folders, ready for use. You can help other users improve their textures (with permission from the user) as well. How cool is that?

Anything Else?

Nope. If we exceed the 2GB cap, I will upgrade to a 50GB account. I don't care what kind of textures you add, they can be from other games, photos, texture websites, or made yourself.

Current Members:
    Hostel [Project Lead]
    Firegod522
    [CWG]RustySpannerz
    azgag
    l33tkill
    Anthracite
    dslight
    Phone-Booth
    Reactors
    Eyefunk
    killer89
    Adzter
    Bubz
    shakethefloor
    HighdefGE
    BioResearch
    Neo Kabuto
    HoliestCow
    Armageddon104
    cwook
    Doom
    mikesdav
    cardboardtheory
    SweetSwifter
    TDocter
    NeoTurtle
    ~ZOMG
    Brandon
    Thyroxin
    NotExactly
    Ray 551
    Science
    mac338
    DFC
    Superbird
    Ehmmett
    ZZREZZ
    The freeman
    kaskade700
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,048 Posts
    This seems like a great idea, but I can see some more cautious Facepunch users bein worried about viruses.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,715 Posts
    This seems like a great idea, but I can see some more cautious Facepunch users bein worried about viruses.
    If the dropbox invite is kept to trusted FP members with a history of content, i don't see that happening.

If.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    The Sim City 4 collaboration project ran just fine. Malicious code will not be an issue at all.

I added a nice thread title picture. Just to make things feel "official", haha.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    I'll be joining.

6. Post #6
    January 2008
    128 Posts
    I'd like to join but I have no content though I would like to make some (no computer for the next two weeks/half though). Didn't a user give facepunch a whole dump of textures a while back? Start with his textures if the guy's interested to build up a solid base

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Well, I encourage everyone to join. If you don't produce textures, you can still benefit from all of this on-going work that Firegod and I currently do.

I'm surprised this is not doing better. This is probably the most convenient way I've seen so far of distributing and receiving new textures, it's virtually effortless. If you improve a texture, that change is synced to everyone who is involved.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    Some things I have uploaded, but are not limited to;

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    289 Posts
    I'd like to help, but this doesn't actually seem all that convenient. At least not at first glance, which I think is the main issue with why more people haven't jumped aboard this project. Don't get the wrong idea though, this is a great concept but it needs to look as convenient as you say it is before more people will feel inclined to read- let alone do all this.

As well, can people make requests?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Send me your Dropbox email Phone, I have already added quite a lot of textures, Firegod has his own share as well that I've received. I'm not putting restrictions on who joins. They can make requests and be a part of the collaboration just to get textures, they're not obligated to add any.

There may be a lack of understanding of why it's easy. For example, I just added about 20 textures to my materials/facepunch/hostel folder; Firegod automatically has those textures in his own materials folder. I've made tons of updates to them as well and he doesn't have to do anything, he just automatically receives those updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2006
    70 Posts
    Suppose I sync my material directory, is there an option available to prevent the folder from automatically receiving updates? My Hard-drive space is currently relatively low.

Edit:

Secondly, this sort of calls for a concern of bandwidth usage. Again, if there is an option available to temporarily disable "automatic downloading", that would be highly preferred.

Also, just a thought, perhaps a public SVN repository link could be provided? It's certainly very manageable, easy to setup and use.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Suppose I sync my material directory, is there an option available to prevent the folder from automatically receiving updates? My Hard-drive space is relatively low at this point.

Edit: Secondly, this sort of calls for a concern of bandwidth usage. Again, if there is an option available to temporarily disable "automatic downloading", that would be highly preferred.
    You're looking at downloading only 2GB max if we ever get there, you can't afford that much HDD space? In any case, there is this option in Dropbox:

13. Post #13
    I would be really interested in helping (sending you my email via pm)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Alright! Four members are now in so far. We currently have over 100MB of texture data that is synced to everyone.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,062 Posts
    I'll start adding textures once I make some. My laptop got wiped so I lost everything.

(PM sent)

16. Post #16
    I might, but problem is that I generally create extremely high texture resolutions (4096^2)

And that I don't have Photoshop anymore (HDDs like to fail on me) But I hope to be able to contribute soon!

And, its a awesome idea.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    A small preview of some of my textures in the collab, available for use.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    2,633 Posts
    You're doing a great thing here Hostel, many people will be able to benifit from it. I wish I could contribute but the majority of textures I make are for a mod, and I cant release them :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,423 Posts
    Well, i could dump some of mine here.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,715 Posts
    While it looks awesome and if i were a different sort of person, i would use these until my hands were raw nubs, i always feel bad putting other peoples work in my maps.
    I prefer making my own content, but i can see this being very, very usefull for others.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    289 Posts
    While it looks awesome and if i were a different sort of person, i would use these until my hands were raw nubs, i always feel bad putting other peoples work in my maps.
    I prefer making my own content, but i can see this being very, very usefull for others.
    I was the same way. It was that sort of mentality that pushed me to learn to create my own.
    If nothing else, I'd say join in or grab up the textures just to see if you can learn some techniques.

As well. Don't forget you guys can make requests in here :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Thanks for joining guys. We almost have 10 members.

23. Post #23
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,525 Posts
    I would love to join.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Everyone who has sent an invitation request in the past 9 hours has now been invited. Welcome to the project.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    i always feel bad putting other peoples work in my maps.
    Which removes the point of making custom content for public.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Whoever just edited my info file, what do you mean I forgot to change the vmf file paths?

They're all okay \/

My textures.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Nope, the paths are not right. Look at how Firegod's and my own vmt's are set up.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Oh now I see.

All fixed now.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    That was me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Talking about textures... Did you guys know that its possible to bypass the "water + glass = visual artifact and other shit" - bug?
    All you need to do, is to compile the glass brush in to model with propper.

Hell, it even works.

31. Post #31
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    3,351 Posts
    i would join, but i don't like my textures being distributed like that.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts

My textures.
    Those are some fantastic textures, no matter where you got them. I might dabble into some of those and see what they look like with some SSbumpmaps and specular masks.

i would join, but i don't like my textures being distributed like that.
    To me, it's a win for the community if they can play on better maps, it's not so much about the developers getting lots of acclaim. If we all focus on being proprietary and working by ourselves, we will be stuck with long development cycles and small releases. Collaborating any sort of efforts that we can gets us closer to making bigger and better maps.

Now I do understand if your point is learning how to produce your own textures. I do some of my own photography and GIMP edits for textures and intend to make a portfolio for job applications.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Resurrecting.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Ah, well, I was planning to post anyway (and consequently resurrect). I'm looking into ripping Deus Ex: Human Revolution textures for anyone who has a serious hard-on for the Deus Ex style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,019 Posts
    Ah, well, I was planning to post anyway (and consequently resurrect). I'm looking into ripping Deus Ex: Human Revolution textures for anyone who has a serious hard-on for the Deus Ex style.
    I think that will go great for what I'm making.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,053 Posts
    This seems like a good place to share my BioShock textures. I'll PM you when I remember.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,705 Posts
    Do that, and I may just have your children. Either that or get back into mapping, whichever you prefer, hehe.

Edited:

I've been researching the very same thing.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Modified csss train track models texture a bit; made it its own texture, sliced it in to pieces and made them scroll = a perfect illusion of moving tracks.

Might upload it at somepoint.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    I'm having some trouble with ripping textures from DX3. The popular solution, 3D Ripper DX, is not working, and I have confirmed it's not working for anyone from other forums. I may have a different way to get textures from the game though.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,019 Posts
    I'm having some trouble with ripping textures from DX3. The popular solution, 3D Ripper DX, is not working, and I have confirmed it's not working for anyone from other forums. I may have a different way to get textures from the game though.
    You could try texmod.