1. Post #721
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,231 Posts
    I was going to watch it again in theatre but fuck it, movie goers are so fucking annoying beyond belief.

"im going to eat crisps loudly through all the quiet parts"

then at the end exclaim loudly "they didn't do much story".

fuck em up the arse im seeing this alone/with people who have some respect.
    fortunately i was able to bask in the greatness but the first 5-10 minutes were me regretting my life as my right ear was pierced by constant crisp munching.
    Could've been worse. The people I sat next to kept checking their fucking phones. Really rude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    December 2008
    6,557 Posts
    the people at the theatre i went to were pretty well behaved. i didn't even notice them once the movie started going.

3. Post #723
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,386 Posts
    Why the fuck can't people watch movies in theaters right? Seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    15,280 Posts
    Why the fuck can't people watch movies in theaters right? Seriously.
    lack of self awareness is pretty much it tbh.

5. Post #725
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,623 Posts
    When I went to see it, two people next to me left before the movie even began.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

6. Post #726
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,797 Posts
    You guys need Alamo draft houses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #727
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,877 Posts
    It was the best movie released this year tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #728
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,086 Posts
    I usually don't mind all that much the chewing and stuff, although it still obviously gets on my nerves...

But during Blade Runner?

There was one fuck that seemed to have been searching for the perfect bit of popcorn, as he or she were diving into the damn bucket looking for the damn thing, as loud as possible.
    It's like every noise was amplified by 100x up until the loud visuals.

9. Post #729
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,702 Posts
    movie's fantastic, glad i watched the original

i instantly knew about rachael, origami man who worked with deckard, and 'tears in rain'   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Indonesia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #730
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,231 Posts
    You guys need Alamo draft houses.
    There was one near me, but it closed down for whatever reason.

11. Post #731
    August 2014
    305 Posts
       By the end of the movie I'm actually even more fascinated by K. If he's a standard Wallace replicant after all, how did he have the capacity to rebel? Admittedly, he went through some pretty heavy shit, but so did Luv.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #732
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Saw a pretty packed showing last Saturday but definitely noticed a few walkers. Think a lot of people were expecting something action orientated thanks to the marketing

13. Post #733
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    27,163 Posts
       By the end of the movie I'm actually even more fascinated by K. If he's a standard Wallace replicant after all, how did he have the capacity to rebel? Admittedly, he went through some pretty heavy shit, but so did Luv.   
       I mean he did have those memories to begin with, so he was likely not a typical replicant from the start. Otherwise, Wallace replicants are still capable of rebellion but they're simply subjected to an environment in which it is not possible for them to do so   

14. Post #734
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,279 Posts
       As I understand it replicants like him have to obey and need to do the baseline test, but they are more than capable of deviating from that and rebelling. Its a further blurring of the line between them a real human. The only thing that keeps replicants in line is being told they must obey and the fact that they will get retired if they don't   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #735
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,474 Posts
    People here are usually quite respectful in the theatre. Only after it's over will they say it sucked.

The only time I've encountered twats is if I go during the weekend.

16. Post #736
    June 2017
    147 Posts
    Guy in front of me didn't pull his eyes up from his phone the entire movie. Was seriously tempted to just tell him to leave if the movie bores him so much

17. Post #737
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,455 Posts
    just got back from the film and it's probably one of the best i've ever seen. i like how it has a lot more action but both    perfectly justifies it with K being a replicant, and also has that come through in how perfectly and smoothly he fights. humans in this setting are really shitty killers and i'm so glad they didn't change that just to facilitate the action.   

18. Post #738
    Judge, Jury, & Executioner
    September 2005
    65,591 Posts
       As I understand it replicants like him have to obey and need to do the baseline test, but they are more than capable of deviating from that and rebelling. Its a further blurring of the line between them a real human. The only thing that keeps replicants in line is being told they must obey and the fact that they will get retired if they don't   
    I don't think so. What about the short prologue directed by Ridley's son where Jared commands the robot to kill itself and it emotionlessly complies.

Edited:

You tellin me that robot was afraid of being killed if it didnt kill itself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #739
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    15,280 Posts
       K only rebels because he's the one tasked with investigating Sapper Morton and by some cosmic chance is the one with a memory that relates to the date on the tree. Which is what triggers the deviation from baseline. Seems like a massive coincidence. However, Wallace suggests Rachael was built to specifically seduce Deckard so maybe he had some foreknowledge by digging around the remaining Tyrell archives and was able to manipulate it so that K was the one sent to find Sapper. Seems plausible considering he was frustrated at being "only able to create so many". And the prequel anime short has Sapper show up on a screen as one of the priority captures after Iggy, who was the one who blew up the archives in the first place.

Also, isn't the baseline test a way for them to find which ones have started to fail? Because as soon as he fails the test, his boss tells him she can give him 48 hours, after which they will hunt him. Like they comply perfectly until they deviate and the baseline test finds out and they get retired before they realise that they have 'humanised'. 

IDK tbh, good to discuss. To me, Wallace seemed to know more than he let on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #740
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,005 Posts
    i think theyre all real human beings tbh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #741
    dvc
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,604 Posts
    Could someone please explain what     The baseline test is testing for? How does it determine things? Is it just how quickly they can say their prebuilt responses?    

22. Post #742
    June 2017
    147 Posts
    Could someone please explain what     The baseline test is testing for? How does it determine things? Is it just how quickly they can say their prebuilt responses?    
    It seemed to me like they were monitoring a whole bunch of physical responses while doing the test. Sort of like a really advanced polygraph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

23. Post #743

April 2005
    18,031 Posts
    Every statement outside the repetition parts seemed based around evoking some sort of emotional response, so it seemed like they were just trying to see if he can remain calm and inhuman during the test and focus on just repeating the same phrases over and over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

24. Post #744
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,279 Posts
    The questions are designed to try and provoke an emotional response from them.    Like "how do you feel when you hold your child in your arms" which wouldn't mean anything to a normal replicant that knew it could never have children. But lets say you went through some world shattering events and started to believe that you were actually human after all. Its a way of detecting an imbalance that suggests the replicant is beginning to think dangerous thoughts. As the chief puts "this breaks the world" because all of a sudden the things you use to fight your wars and work in your mines realize there's nothing that separates them from a "real" human other than the fact that a "real" human was born.   

Just my interpretation

25. Post #745
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,455 Posts
    i assumed it was a mixed Turing and polygraph test, because as the test goes on it starts using multiple words like CELLS or INTERLINKED in longer sentences while still only asking for a specific word. which is exactly the kind of thing that would confuse Cleverbot for example.    i guess doing the Turing half while monitoring K closely would give them a pretty good idea of where his head is at.   

26. Post #746
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,877 Posts
    I feel like it's a modified version of the testing from the original blade runner    instead of seeing if the replicants respond "wrong" to various emotional stimuli to determine that they're a replicant you also add in instructions for them to follow so ensuring that they don't give the "human" emotional reaction and also don't hesitate in following the instructions of the test   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #747
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    27,163 Posts
    The 2019 test was meant to poke at obvious emotional responses and see how coherent they were. The 2049 test is clearly meant to fish for any response whatsoever, which is done by rapid-firing rhetorical questions and see how the subject processes them. I guess the word parroting part is there to check the subject's responsiveness, since any emotional response/struggle which arises from the questions would distract them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #748
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    21,938 Posts
    The 2019 test was meant to poke at obvious emotional responses and see how coherent they were. The 2049 test is clearly meant to fish for any response whatsoever, which is done by rapid-firing rhetorical questions and see how the subject processes them. I guess the word parroting part is there to check the subject's responsiveness, since any emotional response/struggle which arises from the questions would distract them.
    to be fair, this all came about because goslinger was supposed to read a poem a certain way but he couldn't and so they started doing some acting exercises and they worked those into the film instead because of how jaring they were.

at least thats what was on adam savage's podcast
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #749
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    17,260 Posts
    Man it's only been a few days and I'm already really in the mood to watch this again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

30. Post #750
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,562 Posts
       K only rebels because he's the one tasked with investigating Sapper Morton and by some cosmic chance is the one with a memory that relates to the date on the tree. Which is what triggers the deviation from baseline. Seems like a massive coincidence. However, Wallace suggests Rachael was built to specifically seduce Deckard so maybe he had some foreknowledge by digging around the remaining Tyrell archives and was able to manipulate it so that K was the one sent to find Sapper. Seems plausible considering he was frustrated at being "only able to create so many". And the prequel anime short has Sapper show up on a screen as one of the priority captures after Iggy, who was the one who blew up the archives in the first place.

Also, isn't the baseline test a way for them to find which ones have started to fail? Because as soon as he fails the test, his boss tells him she can give him 48 hours, after which they will hunt him. Like they comply perfectly until they deviate and the baseline test finds out and they get retired before they realise that they have 'humanised'. 

I assumed that replicants memories are designed with their overall purposes in mind, so when the memory lady had the job to make K's memories she knew that he'd be working as a blade runner and therefore would be the most likely person to kick the rebellion plan in motion. The police chief responds to K's retelling of the story in more of a "huh that's a good memory for your line of work" type of way to me, as opposed to being genuinely interested in it. I feel like this was moreso planned than it was cosmic chance.    

Phone posting so sorry for shitty formatting and weird flow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #751
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    27,163 Posts
       I had a feeling that, based on the one-eyed rebellion leader's reaction, every Replicant in there has this memory implanted by default, since she says they all wish they were that special kid implying a lot of them went through that same disappointment.   

32. Post #752
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    17,260 Posts
       I had a feeling that, based on the one-eyed rebellion leader's reaction, every Replicant in there has this memory implanted by default, since she says they all wish they were that special kid implying a lot of them went through that same disappointment.   
       I feel like this makes the most sense. You have the girl designing memories that the corporation(s) use for their replicants, so it seems unlikely that she'd be able to get a single memory to only be transfered to one of the replicants.   

33. Post #753
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    14,809 Posts
    GOD DAMN IT what a good fucking movie. Holyy shit never thought Blade Runner would ever get a sequel, and never thought an eventual sequel could be this damn good.

Edited:

to be fair, this all came about because goslinger was supposed to read a poem a certain way but he couldn't and so they started doing some acting exercises and they worked those into the film instead because of how jaring they were.

at least thats what was on adam savage's podcast
    Yeah, it's based on an acting exercise called "dropping in".
    https://www.shakespearehigh.com/facu...n-example.html

Its goal is to "To help students create an emotional response to the text.".

The lines comes from the novel Pale Fire, which was in K's apartment. In one scene Joi holds the book.
    Check around line 700, http://www.shannonrchamberlain.com/palefirepoem.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #754
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,109 Posts
       not sure if this was mentioned but this could be further backed up by the prostitute that he bonked handled the carving that was on his side table and seemed to react to it   

35. Post #755
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    17,260 Posts
       not sure if this was mentioned but this could be further backed up by the prostitute that he bonked handled the carving that was on his side table and seemed to react to it   
       I kinda wish there was another explanation though and that K actually is alone in sharing that memory... but I doubt it.   

36. Post #756
    July 2008
    139 Posts
       I kinda wish there was another explanation though and that K actually is alone in sharing that memory... but I doubt it.   
       I was under the impression K was set up as a singular red herring, so if they ever tracked him down they would think they had found the child and stop looking. Giving all replicants the same memory seems like it would give the game away.   

37. Post #757
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    17,260 Posts
       I was under the impression K was set up as a singular red herring, so if they ever tracked him down they would think they had found the child and stop looking. Giving all replicants the same memory seems like it would give the game away.   
       But how did they get the memory in the first place then? Isn't the girl who designed it the child? Wait, that doesn't make any sense... Can somebody explain this thing? I need to see this film again, dang.   

38. Post #758
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    15,280 Posts
    postal how long do we have to keep using spoilers for? its been out long enough that anyway who reads this thread should be expecting spoilers anyway.