1. Post #641
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,536 Posts
    sums up pretty well
    Would the amount of money you would actually get back from making all of these compromises be worth it though? In the long run it's probably better that we got the movie we did.

so     is deckard a replicant?    just thinking because other than one line     about him being "retired"     there isn't a whole lot that says otherwise, i know the critics said    he was    but the movie doesn't really say, nor would it matter     since his child is either the child of a human and a replicant, or the child of two replicants    both of which are world shattering. Also the other problem is that nobody is really a reliable source of information because nobody but tyrell sems to evwr have had the full picture
    also another minor point     if he was a replicant, why would wallace need to find his child? he could just make a copy of both deckard and rose   
    It's purposefully not clear just like    it isn't clear in the first one either even though Ridley Scott says he is, which everybody else thinks is dumb.   

Not knowing is kind of the point, just like this:

one very minor line that i felt summed up the entire meaning of the story was when K asked Deckard if his dog was real and Deckard responded with "I dunno, ask him."   

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    Spoilers:

Deckard being or not being a replicant doesn't matter. Both movies showed us that there is no difference between them because Replicants are human. Look at the first movie, Deckard is a human (yes there's scenes to make you doubt that but my point still stands) and while he is human, the Replicants he hunts show more humanity then him    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,330 Posts
    Oh my god. This movie is amazing. I saw it all on IMAX 70mm and it was absolutely stunning. If you haven't yet, go watch it.

That scene with Rachael 2.0 though gets even more saddening the more i think about it...   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #644
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,641 Posts
        if he was a replicant, why would wallace need to find his child? he could just make a copy of both deckard and rose   
    no they can't, the details were lost in the blackout, it's directly shown in the movie that    they can't get rachael's basic appearance right, let alone her DNA or whatever makes her special   

5. Post #645
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    no they can't, the details were lost in the blackout, it's directly shown in the movie that    they can't get rachael's basic appearance right, let alone her DNA or whatever makes her special   
        her eyes are actually brown in the original, it was Deckard's way of saying they could never replace her    

Is the 97 game any good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,705 Posts
    I thought    the fact that Deckard survived for so long in (kinda) irradiated Las Vegas without getting sick showed that he was a Replicant. When the other goons come to that place, they're all wearing breather masks.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    I thought    the fact that Deckard survived for so long in (kinda) irradiated Las Vegas without getting sick showed that he was a Replicant. When the other goons come to that place, they're all wearing breather masks.   
        the bees showed that it was perfectly livable   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

8. Post #648
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    9,229 Posts
       The goons didn't have a whole lot of time to check if the area was irradiated, since they wanted to surprise them. Could be that Deckard knows the building is clear and doesn't need to worry about any of it. K's scouting with his drone showed that the city is somewhat hospitable.   

9. Post #649
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,641 Posts
        her eyes are actually brown in the original, it was Deckard's way of saying they could never replace her    

Is the 97 game any good?
    straight from her VK test in the final cut

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Zing Zing x 8 (list)

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,607 Posts
    Spoilers:

Deckard being or not being a replicant doesn't matter. Both movies showed us that there is no difference between them because Replicants are human. Look at the first movie, Deckard is a human (yes there's scenes to make you doubt that but my point still stands) and while he is human, the Replicants he hunts show more humanity then him    
        i think its more poignant that his daughter is a child of a replicant and a human makes the point about replicants even more important   

Edited:

pretty sure they have rad-x and buildings in a place as swanky as     vegas    would have very tight filtration systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #651
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    straight from her VK test in the final cut

I thought of that scene too but every other scene she has brown eyes   

I might be wrong though I haven't seen the movie in years haha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,607 Posts
       I thought of that scene too but every other scene she has brown eyes   

I might be wrong though I haven't seen the movie in years haha
    thats the "replicant eyes" effect that just cues the audience, it looks like red eye in a photo but brown
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #653
    July 2013
    431 Posts
    While it wasn't the biggest or most important scene in the film, I found that    the scene where it transitions from the embers rising into the night sky to the city lights was honestly one of the most instantly memorable moments of any film I've watched so far. My God, that left quite an impression.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

14. Post #654
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,469 Posts
    Just got back from seeing it. Movie wasn't bad at all, but there's some points where it drags on, and some scenes which go on far longer then nessecary.

It was the perfect roll for Ryan Gosling    given he's a Replicant and struggles with human emotion sometimes, which is perfect for his lack of expression.   

There was only 6 other people in the theater with me (yay for thursday nights), but everyone started laughing when    K burst through the wall after Deckard slammed the door behind him. They had to throw in a reminder he was super strong.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,579 Posts
    laughing when    K burst through the wall after Deckard slammed the door behind him. They had to throw in a reminder he was super strong.   
    That part confused the hell out of me at first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    14,943 Posts
    I'm finally getting around to watching Blade Runner, which cut do I watch? I don't know which one is supposed to be best beyond that I shouldn't touch the theatrical cut with a fifty-foot pole.

17. Post #657
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,465 Posts
    I'm finally getting around to watching Blade Runner, which cut do I watch? I don't know which one is supposed to be best beyond that I shouldn't touch the theatrical cut with a fifty-foot pole.
    I'd go with the 2007 Final Cut.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #658
    Dennab
    August 2014
    339 Posts
    I saw the movie yesterday and I really loved it.

Am not sure why, but when I saw those giant ships dumping garbage in the wasteland reminded me of Trump.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #659
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    I saw the movie yesterday and I really loved it.

Am not sure why, but when I saw those giant ships dumping garbage in the wasteland reminded me of Trump.
    I thought that was a neat SOLDIER reference

20. Post #660
    July 2011
    108 Posts
    I thought that was a neat SOLDIER reference
    Doesn't Soldier take place in the same universe? or was Tannhauser Gate in the guys service record just a reference to blade runner?

21. Post #661
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,036 Posts
    Doesn't Soldier take place in the same universe? or was Tannhauser Gate in the guys service record just a reference to blade runner?
    Yeah takes place in the same universe on one of the trash planets. It's a bit of a generic movie but still a fun watch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,353 Posts
    Saw it last night

10 out of 10 needless to say, I loved the visual connections to the first with the eye shot opening and the various still images

23. Post #663
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,817 Posts
    Just finished watching it.

Hands down my favorite movie of 2017. It's so rare to see a movie with this kind of budget not pander to the casual audience. All I want is more, although the    stair scene    was a great closer and summed up everything about K's journey.

The visuals were so well crafted, the rain, the embers transitioning into city lights, truly a great film and a better sequel.

I'm so disappointed that it's not making the money it deserves. Going to have to continue to shill this movie to coworkers.

Ahhh, it was even better watching it after actively avoiding all forms of trailers and advertisements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #664
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,365 Posts
    While it wasn't the biggest or most important scene in the film, I found that    the scene where it transitions from the embers rising into the night sky to the city lights was honestly one of the most instantly memorable moments of any film I've watched so far. My God, that left quite an impression.   
    I really liked that scene where    Deckard is hunting K in that room full of broken entertainment holograms that keep alternating between animating in silence and suddenly flickering around as the music glitches and kicks in for a few seconds.    It's unique, tense, and it also made me think of that one New Vegas DLC, so that's a plus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

25. Post #665
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,607 Posts
    I really liked that scene where    Deckard is hunting K in that room full of broken entertainment holograms that keep alternating between animating in silence and suddenly flickering around as the music glitches and kicks in for a few seconds.    It's unique, tense, and it also made me think of that one New Vegas DLC, so that's a plus.
    Bladerunner: New Vegas.

they really did rip a lot of imagery from new vegas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,807 Posts
    At first that scene annoyed me but I realized pretty quickly that it was intentionally janky and glitchy to crank up the tension.

27. Post #667
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,242 Posts

I love Ryan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #668
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    8,984 Posts
    I have to be honest, while I did enjoy the movie, after leaving the cinema, I felt like there wasn't anything all that memorable about it; the end felt really flat, like there was this kind of build up throughout the movie but the end was just, eh.

It's not bad but I don't get why people are praising it so much either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #669
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,607 Posts
    I have to be honest, while I did enjoy the movie, after leaving the cinema, I felt like there wasn't anything all that memorable about it; the end felt really flat, like there was this kind of build up throughout the movie but the end was just, eh.

It's not bad but I don't get why people are praising it so much either.
    thats noir in general.

30. Post #670
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    8,984 Posts
    Well what was Blade Runner? Because that's a memorable movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #671
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,817 Posts
    Well what was Blade Runner? Because that's a memorable movie.
    Interesting, the original was incredibly memorable on the city design more than anything. I didn't find the romance nor the villains particularly memorable.

32. Post #672
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    27,407 Posts
    Well, that movie was fuckin dope. Shame I missed it in IMAX but I had a blast anyway.

So what's the canon ending of the first movie because the way this is turned it sounds like both endings kind of are canon   

33. Post #673
    August 2015
    116 Posts
    Wanted to watch this movie in dolby atmos 3d at first, since there's no Imax near me (and I'm low on money) but a few classmates were telling me that i HAVE to watch it in Imax since I'm such a fan of the original.
    So at the last moment I decided to use my last bit of money to get to an Imax theatre today and my god am I glad I did.

It's very faithful to the feeling and atmosphere of the original, while being it's own thing as well. I was afraid it would be hanging too much on nostalgia, but it didn't. Pacing is lovely (I'm a fan of slow movies and it fits with the pacing of the original)
    and visually perfect. The transition from fire to citylights gave me goosebumps. The music is pretty good, but a little loud at times as well as feeling a bit misplaced at some parts imo such as when    the loud Zimmer noises played
    when Ryan's character was at the huge female statues near the bees. 
       but it's a minor complaint. The story is great as well. I'm will be going to watch it again at the end of the month.

Sucks it's not doing well in cinemas, but honestly I kinda expected it to be. I saw it hardly being advertised, it's a long movie and I have the feeling the general audience would think the movie is too slow and doesn't have enough action.

Tl;dr: Good sequel. Go watch it in Imax if you can.

34. Post #674

April 2005
    18,864 Posts
    Even the $36 million prediction proved to be way off. It's current and more accurate estimate has it pegged at about $31.5 million opening weekend

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4332&p=.htm
    Shame to see given how perfectly they handled this film creatively, but there just wasn't a big enough market to justify that super massive price-tag. I'll still wait to see how it does in it's second weekend but still most likely RIP
    2nd weekend box office results are basically in: 54% drop for here in the states, 59% drop everywhere else. Yeah this films dropping like any other film would so there goes any chance it might've gotten for being saved by word of mouth. RIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10 (list)

35. Post #675
    October 2007
    454 Posts
    2nd weekend box office results are basically in: 54% drop for here in the states, 59% drop everywhere else. Yeah this films dropping like any other film would so there goes any chance it might've gotten saved by word of mouth. RIP
    I hope it doesn't hinder Denis Villeneuve's futur projects, the guy is a really great director.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,465 Posts
    Interesting, the original was incredibly memorable on the city design more than anything. I didn't find the romance nor the villains particularly memorable.
    Plus a lot of people will remember the end of original bladerunner just because of the Tears in Rain speech.

37. Post #677
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,337 Posts
    Saw it today.

My only problems with it is the sequel bait and MAYBE they could have trimmed the "monotonous" parts a bit, which I still outright adored.

Fantastic. Just... Absolutely fantastic.

38. Post #678

April 2005
    18,864 Posts
    I hope it doesn't hinder Denis Villeneuve's futur projects, the guy is a really great director.
    One of his upcoming projects is a big adaptation of Dune. I'd be surprised if Legendary Pictures doesn't get a bit worried about budget after this tanked seeing as the two projects seem kinda similar, at least from what very little I know of Dune. It's basically slow paced heavy scifi as well isn't it? Calling it now, Dune will be PG13.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #679
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,686 Posts

sums up pretty well
    i get that this video is just supposed to be expository and objective but nevertheless hearing someone cheerfully explain that the movie ought to have been shorter, dumber, cheaper, compromised to fit ratings, and from a higher profile brand in order not to have "flopped" triggers me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

40. Post #680

April 2005
    18,864 Posts
    On the lighter side of bladerunner news, here's a 30 minute podcast thingy between Denis Villeneuve and Rian Johnson discussing basically everything about the film, production and all.

http://collider.com/denis-villeneuve...listen/#images

haven't actually listened to it yet but with these two together I think it's safe to say it'll be worth the listen.