1. Post #1

November 2007
    39 Posts
    I think it is a must have book for Urban explorers: http://www.amazon.de/Access-All-Area...4389890&sr=1-1

Parkour and Freerunning are great skills for urban explorers, is anyone else doing Parkour ?

Here is my latest video, if you are interested:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb x 18Winner x 5Funny x 2Agree x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2010
    903 Posts
    I jumped over my table once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Master Captain
    August 2010
    2,010 Posts
    I jumped over my table once.
    Psh, I jumped over my cat once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Zing Zing x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Parkour is a flashy thing, you wouldn't want to use it for urbexing. Climbing or jumping like a regular person has always worked for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    Psh, I jumped over my cat once.
    You wuss.

You may only call yourself a REAL man once you have mastered the art of jumping over your doorstep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2011
    2,969 Posts
    Parkour is a flashy thing, you wouldn't want to use it for urbexing. Climbing or jumping like a regular person has always worked for me.
    You and the OP thinking of free running. Parkour is in no way meant to be flashy, it's meant to be an efficient form of human transport. Free running is meant to be flashy.

But I agree parkour isn't really needed for this sort of thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7
    May 2010
    175 Posts
    This was very cool; out of curiosity which one are you?

8. Post #8
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts

You're going to

A. Fall and break your neck

B. Hop over something and land on broken glass and rusty nails

C. Try to jump off unstable walls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

November 2007
    39 Posts
    Parkour is meant as an efficient art of movement, originated in vietnam war; I think it is very useful for escaping !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,929 Posts
    Old buildings are generally condemned for being unstable. As an Urban Explorer, it would be unwise to even run in one of those buildings. Floors rot through, staircases collapse. That banister you attempt to vault over will probably come off in your hands and that wall you are attempting to kick off of is probably full of asbestos.You could cause sections to collapse and entire staircases to go down, with you on or under them.

If you need parkour to get around the building, then you shouldn't be going to those parts as it is probably a deathtrap.

Use common sense people. Anything faster than a quick walk is foolish as hell. Sometimes even walking at a normal speed is risky, and testing the floor in front of you with slow balance-beam steps is required.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2011
    2,969 Posts
    originated in vietnam war
    What are you even talking about?

Wikipedia posted:
    Tangible historical precedents may be traced to movie stuntmen and martial arts practitioners. Hollywood stars and stuntmen such as Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., John Ciampa and Buster Keaton captured parkour-like moves on film as early as the 1920–40s.
    And as other people have pointed out, it isn't safe in structurally deficient buildings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,081 Posts
    What are you even talking about?

And as other people have pointed out, it isn't safe in structurally deficient buildings.
    urbex isn't just structurally deficient buildings though

that being said, I like to take my time with precarious heights

13. Post #13

November 2007
    39 Posts
    I know what I am talking about, look:

Raymond Belle (David Belle's father) was born in Vietnam, at the time part of French Indochina. His father died during the First Indochina War and Raymond was separated from his mother during the division of Vietnam in 1954. He was taken by the French Army in Da Lat and received a military education and training that shaped his character. After the Battle of Dien Bien Phu, Raymond was repatriated to France and completed his military education in 1958. At age 19, his dedication to fitness helped him serve in Paris's regiment of "sapeurs-pompiers" (the French fire service).

Raymond Belle had fought as a child during the vietnamese war against France. As you can hardly imagine, this extreme childhood experience had a tremendous effect on his personnality for the rest of his life. He understood perfectly the importance of being a strong man (thus having a strong body as well as a strong mind). Adapting the "méthode naturelle" by Georges Hérbert and using it to move more efficiently through the environment during war in Vietnam, he founded the roots of Parkour.

His son David Belle adapted his fathers techniques and philosophy to transfer the "méthode naturelle" from the vietnamese to the urban jungle, founding Parkour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    Parkour is meant as an efficient art of movement, originated in vietnam war; I think it is very useful for escaping !
    You are now imaging Daniel using parkour to escape from Gatherers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    143 Posts
    Neat although it made me laugh how the fail landings got followed up by a sudden spin. :D

Edited:

Old buildings are generally condemned for being unstable. As an Urban Explorer, it would be unwise to even run in one of those buildings. Floors rot through, staircases collapse. That banister you attempt to vault over will probably come off in your hands and that wall you are attempting to kick off of is probably full of asbestos.You could cause sections to collapse and entire staircases to go down, with you on or under them.

If you need parkour to get around the building, then you shouldn't be going to those parts as it is probably a deathtrap.

Use common sense people. Anything faster than a quick walk is foolish as hell. Sometimes even walking at a normal speed is risky, and testing the floor in front of you with slow balance-beam steps is required.
    Ok so anything faster than walking is foolish? Good luck getting to the other side of the country by
    quickly walking along,while we all flip over you or drive past you.

Not every building is crumbling because it isn't the apocalypse yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    612 Posts
    Or you could walk to just better examine the building you are exploring.

But if vaulting over split desk and cracks on the ground is your thing then go on ahead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    â–“â–“â–“ italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Wow, were you the guys practicing on the side of the Westminster Bridge near the hospital a few weeks ago? Because I've seen some people jumping around there and doing parkour stuff close to the border of the river.

Edited:

Here: http://g.co/maps/7vqm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    April 2011
    250 Posts
    You even failed falling on the sand at 0:35.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Greece Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,828 Posts
    That's not Parkour. That isn't even free running. That's people trying to do flips. Parkour is getting from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. Its not just flipping over waist high walls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

20. Post #20

November 2007
    39 Posts
    Agree, it is Freerunning ;)

I still think that Parkour is in a way useful for Urban Exploration, e.g. climbing, balancing, efficient movement; you can use these skills in difficult situations !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2011
    2,282 Posts
    Parkour onto an unstable wall and break it along with a few bones. Parkour and urban exploration do not mix, urbex is about being careful and observant, which is kind of hard when you are jumping off of stuff. I suppose it could come in handy if you needed to get up to something, but really, consider safety first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2010
    212 Posts
    Don't think you quite understand parkour, man.

Free running is a flashy thing, the guy who posted this thread is a free runner judging by his flips

Parkour is any form of climbing or jumping method to get from one place to another efficiently, there is no flashy criteria to be a tracuer, you just are.

-dedicated tracuer of 5 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    About as smart and adept as a pile of turds
    January 2010
    3,463 Posts
    ~~~~~just like ezio~~~~~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Why so Sirius?
    April 2009
    1,775 Posts
    Parkour onto an unstable wall and break it along with a few bones. Parkour and urban exploration do not mix, urbex is about being careful and observant, which is kind of hard when you are jumping off of stuff. I suppose it could come in handy if you needed to get up to something, but really, consider safety first.
    obviously it requires SOME thought.

25. Post #25
    August 2010
    141 Posts
    I think it is a must have book for Urban explorers: http://www.amazon.de/Access-All-Area...4389890&sr=1-1

Parkour and Freerunning are great skills for urban explorers, is anyone else doing Parkour ?

I can do some basic vaulting and climbing as long as the obstacle is at my chest height and not too smooth, other than that I can't do shit :P

26. Post #26
    August 2011
    771 Posts
    OP joined to show off his silly flips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2012
    474 Posts
    One of my friends used to do parkour. He stopped doing it because he tried vaulting over a handrail but messed up, fell a few metres and managed to shatter both kneecaps. He decided to stop after that (not that he had a choice).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    597 Posts
    I wouldn't agree with this. I would much rather be much slower, but pick up more information about my surroundings than run everywhere and miss out on a lot of history.
    I understand what you mean when you say it'd help with escaping, but I think if confronted by security or police, I would rather turn myself in peacefully than run and risk a much larger punishment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

February 2012
    15 Posts

You're going to

A. Fall and break your neck

u maybe
    B. Hop over something and land on broken glass and rusty nails

C. Try to jump off unstable walls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    524 Posts

Oh I definitely need to learn how to do flips over walls because its way more efficient than just jumping over them without looking fancy and shit.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,666 Posts
    Is it a prerequisite or something for parkour/freerunning videos to use obscene amounts of fish-eye lenses?

It looks fucking terrible.

Also, THIS is real parkour:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,361 Posts
    I know what I am talking about, look:

Raymond Belle (David Belle's father) was born in Vietnam, at the time part of French Indochina. His father died during the First Indochina War and Raymond was separated from his mother during the division of Vietnam in 1954. He was taken by the French Army in Da Lat and received a military education and training that shaped his character. After the Battle of Dien Bien Phu, Raymond was repatriated to France and completed his military education in 1958. At age 19, his dedication to fitness helped him serve in Paris's regiment of "sapeurs-pompiers" (the French fire service).

Raymond Belle had fought as a child during the vietnamese war against France. As you can hardly imagine, this extreme childhood experience had a tremendous effect on his personnality for the rest of his life. He understood perfectly the importance of being a strong man (thus having a strong body as well as a strong mind). Adapting the "méthode naturelle" by Georges Hérbert and using it to move more efficiently through the environment during war in Vietnam, he founded the roots of Parkour.

His son David Belle adapted his fathers techniques and philosophy to transfer the "méthode naturelle" from the vietnamese to the urban jungle, founding Parkour.
    He didn't found or invent parkour, nobody did. Parkour is merely a concept, that's like saying that I invented running. You can't invent running, because it just is. I know that may not sound like a very affirming reason, but parkour is no more than efficient movement, something that's been around since the beginning of time.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,290 Posts
    I like how your video had half life sound effects at the end.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,212 Posts
    You and the OP thinking of free running. Parkour is in no way meant to be flashy, it's meant to be an efficient form of human transport. Free running is meant to be flashy.

But I agree parkour isn't really needed for this sort of thing.
    was about to post the same thing, parkour is just getting from point a to point b as fast as possible

35. Post #35
    November 2010
    3 Posts
    I disagree with you here but only because it's free running that is flashy, parkour, however; is very efficient (the fastest route from point a to b).

Edit: nevermind, late

36. Post #36
    July 2008
    631 Posts
    Is it a prerequisite or something for parkour/freerunning videos to use obscene amounts of fish-eye lenses?

It looks fucking terrible.

Also, THIS is real parkour:

One of the Youtube comments: "of course the french would come up with the most efficient way to run away"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)