1. Post #801
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Can't say that yet, but I can say that the pack is 80% done, assuming Gilda and Spike are the final models in the pack. Unless someone can get a hold of a decent Discord model or so.
    What's the 20 percent?

Edited:

Low-Poly models do lack a deal of quality, and when some one like ME can notice a lack in quality in contrast to something better-looking, that's bad.

For the record, I welcome them. They will work better in larger numbers (or so I hope). I have an AMD X2 64 and a Geforce GT 220 and I can barely spawn around 10ish before it starts lagging badly.
    Anyone can tell out the small mash-ups in models, especially low-poly models. You can see some of the jagged edges on the side of the models or around that area. But when looking at an image filled to the brim with Anti Aliasing or something like that it's pretty hard to notice because you're looking at what is going on the ragdoll posing and the idea behind it.

2. Post #802
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    What's the 20 percent?
    Spike and Gilda.

3. Post #803

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Can't say that yet, but I can say that the pack is 80% done, assuming Gilda and Spike are the final models in the pack. Unless someone can get a hold of a decent Discord model or so.
    Only seems to be one Discord model, pretty sure you've seen it on DA. It's kinda higher in polycount though and I've absolutely no idea if anyone's contacted the modeller about rigging it for Gmod.

4. Post #804
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Only seems to be one Discord model, pretty sure you've seen it on DA. It's kinda higher in polycount though and I've absolutely no idea if anyone's contacted the modeller about rigging it for Gmod.
    I'm pretty sure there is some modeling websites where people upload their own work and leave it up for download so people can have a go with what they want to do with it.

Someone might have left a Discord model floating around the Internet that we don't know of yet.

5. Post #805

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Perhaps. Perhaps not.

To Google Image Search!

*a few minutes later*

Found one! Foxox on tumblr was doing a Discord model. Can't link to the posts, using a 3DS.

6. Post #806
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Perhaps. Perhaps not.

To Google Image Search!

*a few minutes later*

Found one! Foxox on tumblr was doing a Discord model. Can't link to the posts, using a 3DS.
    Oh, that model? I think it was posted on this thread some time ago, check the previous pages.

7. Post #807

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Well, that one and the one on DA are the only ones in existence, unless someone's made discord for MMD...

8. Post #808
    January 2011
    1,003 Posts
    Spike and Gilda.
    And what about the S2 Princess Luna?

9. Post #809
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    And what about the S2 Princess Luna?
    I think she's done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #810
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    Well, that one and the one on DA are the only ones in existence, unless someone's made discord for MMD...
    The MMD modeling community is pretty big. I'm sure it's just only a matter of time.

11. Post #811

May 2011
    365 Posts
    For the most part, when people talk about low-poly models, I think they're just automatically thinking of Nintendo 64 type models (http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=8115) as compared to simply models with a bit less polycount.
    Nope. I see it as a lower quality model. Also it looks like Playstation as well. but that's beside the point

Just saying that if people expect super mega high poly models with 8 bajillion polys
    I for one expect models that look decent. These models do NOT fit the par.
    For example, if you look at games like Skyrim or Crysis 2, there are lots of low poly things, but they look decent because they are covered in 18 million layers of shaders. Polys aren't everything.
    Then clearly I don't see that in your models.

If they want to be super artsy, they can use the older unoptimized unstable models (with fewer features) and try to post their DeviantArt pictures to Gmod-Ponies-Plus group, but have it turned down because of the extremely pointlessly high requirements which makes even thinking of posting something to that group pointless and a complete waste of effort.
    These people will also be having to make new skins for the lower poly models that they already made for the higher ones. That's going to be an issue whether or not you make the completely new models high or low poly though I guess.

I believe Gmod is supposed to be fun for everyone. I want to give everyone an equal chance to have fun and show their creations and pictures. I just want Gmod and ponies to be accessible to a much wider group and not limit the ponies to people who think the Source engine is a $3000 super rendering program. If those people still have the extreme lust for more polys, I'll be providing the sources anyways so they can jack up the polycount tenfold should they want to.
    By the way, Yuki wanted to re-iterate the fact he doesn't use gmod anymore. And he also apparently actually likes to complain about everything and also wishes to at least show some gratitude on behalf of those of us that still use gmod:

Yukitoshii posted:
    WHY DO OTHER PEOPLE care so much about other people’s opinions? Why don’t they ignore people like me who are almost always “complaining about everything”?

I am happy that you [oogaboogaman] ported the “old, unoptimized and unstable” (which they are not, I never had problems with them, not speed-wise nor graphically-wise (Gah, I’m sure this word is wrong :P), even with my really old and crappy PC) models to GMod. Thank you for that. Really. I appreciate the work you put into porting these models.

And now, just do what you want and love to do and don’t let other people stop you, especially not people like me. :P

And to be really honest, even if I won’t use these models for my pics, I’m still more than excited to try them all out. :D

(And yes, I like to complain about everything. Deal with that. :P )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

12. Post #812
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    I for one expect models that look decent. These models do NOT fit the par.
    Expect disappointment then for not having super high quality 5 million poly pony models from a kid's cartoon, and have it run stable on the old Source engine. Like I said, I'll be releasing the sources too, so feel free to amp up the poly count yourself after release.

These people will also be having to make new skins for the lower poly models that they already made for the higher ones. That's going to be an issue whether or not you make the completely new models high or low poly though I guess.
    Poly count won't affect the skins. Skinners will be able to copy paste their skins over to the new models should they want to.

13. Post #813
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,761 Posts
    Some guy did make a Discord 3d model, but I think he didn't release it yet

14. Post #814
    October 2011
    157 Posts
    The MMD modeling community is pretty big. I'm sure it's just only a matter of time.

... No Comment...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #815

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Derpcord is best pony.

16. Post #816
    January 2012
    16 Posts
    Yeah I know the guy making that model. I'd probably steer clear of it. Remember the original Gilda for MMD? Same guy.

17. Post #817
    July 2010
    442 Posts
    I think it'd be best just to wait a bit longer for a good looking Discord model, instead of trying to use the current ones. They either look very stupid, inaccurate, or will probably be never finished. There were bad looking models before we got the great ones we have currently. Patience is key.

18. Post #818

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Pretty wise words thar.

Edit: Questiom, Oogaboogaman, just to clear a bit of confusion in my brain. Is everypony in this pack getting the low-poly treatment?

19. Post #819
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts

... No Comment...
    An alligator and a snake had lovely booty sex?

20. Post #820
    April 2012
    36 Posts
    An alligator and a snake had lovely booty sex?
    uh... it apparently seems more like this other dude
    (which i think is a dishonor for sea serpents... ¬¬ )

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #821
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    Pretty wise words thar.

Edit: Questiom, Oogaboogaman, just to clear a bit of confusion in my brain. Is everypony in this pack getting the low-poly treatment?
    Celestia and Luna will remain the same. All the other ponies, yes.

22. Post #822
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    I think the pack is done. Does not include Discord model. I might add him in later.

Will probably pack it up tomorrow or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

23. Post #823
    August 2009
    92 Posts
    I think the pack is done. Does not include Discord model. I might add him in later.

Excellent. I anticipate the release.

24. Post #824
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts

Is it me? Or does Trixie's hat a look a little bigger than usual? Nonetheless, I am excited for the release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #825
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    Is it me? Or does Trixie's hat a look a little bigger than usual? Nonetheless, I am excited for the release.
    Same size as the original.

26. Post #826
    April 2012
    36 Posts

ah... so much win... TwT

(uh... will any other creatures from FiM can take role? cuz I did this eel :A)
    http://benja020.deviantart.com/#/d4zh3vd

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    ah... so much win... TwT

(uh... will any other creatures from FiM can take role? cuz I did this eel :A)
    http://benja020.deviantart.com/#/d4zh3vd
    That's a nice model! But I don't think it'll be in the pack. Not sure if I'll work on it or not, sorry.

Though I do love the way you model. Everything is so smooth and blends well together. You use edgeloops?

28. Post #828
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    I be awaiting a release.

29. Post #829
    April 2010
    266 Posts

i can't wait to see this.

30. Post #830
    April 2012
    36 Posts
    That's a nice model! But I don't think it'll be in the pack. Not sure if I'll work on it or not, sorry.

Though I do love the way you model. Everything is so smooth and blends well together. You use edgeloops?
    edgeloops? ._.

31. Post #831
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    edgeloops? ._.
    how u make so nice models

32. Post #832
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,761 Posts

Well I'm surprised, will be waiting for the link

33. Post #833

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Excellent news. Though the lappy is outta commission right now I have my entire gmod folder backed up, so I'll be downloading the back onto my flash drive.

Another question, oogaboigaman. Will the new low-poly models overwrite the original, high poly non-outlined ones?

34. Post #834
    Make passionate love with the local law enforcement
    August 2011
    1,341 Posts

Can't wait until tomorrow.

35. Post #835
    April 2012
    36 Posts
    how u make so nice models
    uh... youtube teached me... *w*, that and patient cuz it turns sometimes borring.... x_x
    (uh.. i think edgeloop meants when i'm extruding the edges, y'kno as extending 'em till give it a shape)

this is an example video, thats how i make 'em (that might answer the question :B)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1Bo0kyZP4&feature=plcp

36. Post #836
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    Excellent news. Though the lappy is outta commission right now I have my entire gmod folder backed up, so I'll be downloading the back onto my flash drive.

Another question, oogaboigaman. Will the new low-poly models overwrite the original, high poly non-outlined ones?
    Yes.

uh... youtube teached me... *w*, that and patient cuz it turns sometimes borring.... x_x
    (uh.. i think edgeloop meants when i'm extruding the edges, y'kno as extending 'em till give it a shape)

this is an example video, thats how i make 'em (that might answer the question :B)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1Bo0kyZP4&feature=plcp
    Ah, will look into it. Thanks.

37. Post #837

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    Gotcha. Soon as I get a new laptop, I'mma reinstall my back-up folder and get rid of the remnants of the outlined/closed/open models since the new ones use bodygrouping for wings.

Daaang, I just caught my spelling error in my last post. Oogaboigaman XD

I must admit, when I first got Gmod, I was unsure about adding the pony models to my collection. Now I have tons XD
    (I don't download OC's, with the exception of the Trollestia/Molestia hexes for lulz, and Illu-Mint's old Palette hexes/model edits. And her Pony Spike. And Glabers' Lauren Faust/Queen Faustia model. And I'll probaby grab PyrO_o/MarineACU's version of Wild Fire, since she's canon now.)

38. Post #838
    July 2010
    442 Posts
    Awesome how the same day the new models are coming out is the same day I'll be finished with my exams.

Now if only I can get my windows desktop to work.

39. Post #839
    January 2012
    16 Posts
    Awesome, I can't wait! :D

Don't forget to give credit to me and benja020 for the models we contributed, though.

40. Post #840
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    I credit lotsa people as usual.