1. Post #161
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Doesn't boost have a filesystem class?
    What is boost? k
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 17Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,015 Posts
    That'd require a lot of work to get it to be cross-platform, though. Even though it could be the fastest solution.
    Also, progressive scanning as the user plays the game might work well.
    See SpaceSniffer.
    It's friggen incredible (albeit not cross-platform nor open sourced).

Perhaps you could use some decompilation to discover the methods they use.
    I suggest using Process Monitor to see what file system operations it utilises.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #163

February 2011
    1 Posts
    Dumping some tech screenshots of what me and another guy working on. Its a game called "Vortex" based on the Quake 2 engine which is mostly rewritten, maybe some of you remember a mod called "Quake 2 Vortex"? (which Half-Life 2 modular combat is based on btw). First time ever i release some media from it since its VERY early in develoment.

Edit: I will post more screenshots later when q2dm1 is properly relit and the screenshots wont be so dark lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Programming King Programming King x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    italian
    June 2011
    2,644 Posts
    Just wrote a Python (2.7) script to interpret the directory listing given by "ls -AmUFR /your/path > list.txt", and output it to a file. Input file is 10MB, output is 17MB

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env python
    import sys

# Open and read list.txt, file generated with command "ls -AmUFR /your/path > list.txt"
    list_file = open("list.txt")
    list_file_content = list_file.read()

# Split the content per-folder (they're separed by "\n\n")
    all_folders = list_file_content.split("\n\n")

# Create a list containing a list for each folder, first element being folder name
    all_folders_files = []

for folder in all_folders:
    	# Folder name and its files are separed by ":\n"
    	folder_split = folder.split(":")

# Add the folder name to a new list as first element
    	this_folder = list()
    	this_folder.append(folder_split[0])

folder_files = folder_split[1].split(",")

for file_name in folder_files:
    		# Remove potential unneeded newline in file name
    		file_name = file_name.replace("\n", "")

# Add to the list
    		this_folder.append(file_name)

# Finally, add this folder's content to the main list
    	all_folders_files.append(this_folder)

# Output the list to a file
    output_file = file("output.txt", "w")

print >> output_file, all_folders_files
    http://pastie.org/2509571
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

5. Post #165

August 2011
    196 Posts
    Working on my 2d lighting thingie with LVE:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 16Programming King Programming King x 4 (list)

6. Post #166
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Why is it that Windows still gives you Windows 98 style controls if you don't go out of your way to apply visual styles?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Because Themes is a service, and not all PCs support it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 25Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    917 Posts
    Readded emancipation grills (They broke during the physics change) and made them like the portals "impossible to lag through".
    Then I did the graphics but I'm not so sure.

Any idea how to make it look less like star wars?
    The more I look at it the more I like it though. Maybe it needs more blue.
    In my opinion, I'd like it to stay more Mario-esk and not so Portal-esk. I really, really like the idea of Mario with a Portal gun, but mashing the two game's art together is kind of a turn off.

What if it was a turtle shell that moved back and forth, so it stayed more Mario style.

And now you have to add sentries.
    Again, couldn't it be the traditional Mario bullets instead of Portal sentries?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 4 (list)

9. Post #169
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    I disagree, he's not mashing art styles, he's dropping in elements of portal into mario, for an almost... ironic effect.

Besides, it's that heterogeneous combination of the two games that make it what it is. If he replaced the portals with pop-up sewer pipes (as it sounds like you are suggesting), then it would no longer be mari0 (the '0' being a portal), it would mario with game mechanics taken from Portal.

Edited:

Again, couldn't it be the traditional Mario bullets instead of Portal sentries?
    Elaborate; how exactly would the giant mario bullets emulate the function of portal turrets?

Besides: in terms of gameplay, this idea makes zero sense. Mario's bullets already have a important and distinct gameplay role. Anyone who has played smb knows this. Trying to tactlessly reuse an existing gameplay mechanic for something it isn't designed for is bad design. And what about existing mario bullets? Are they to be allowed to exist in the game, while also serving the purpose of portal turrets?

I'd like to build on my earlier position and also point out that the gameplay mechanics of the separate games only make sense to be EITHER completely reinvented in an entirely new game, or to be tactfully combined without unnecessary modification.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    216 Posts
    Code:
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        int nValue = -9001;
        int nProcess;

while(nValue < 10000)
            {
                cout << "Boobs! This is number: " << nProcess << "\n";
                nProcess++;
            }
        return 0;
    }

:3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 21Programming King x 3Optimistic x 2Useful x 1Winner x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    July 2009
    7,166 Posts
    Apparently you have more control with telnet as it follows ansi codes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

12. Post #172

August 2011
    196 Posts
    Fixed my lighting to be gamma-correct (see this article).

Before:

After:

A few lights on the screen:

2d lighting is awesome. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 17Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Having never used C#, my best guess would be function call overhead.
    Changing it to a method makes almost no difference.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    Code:
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        int nValue = -9001;
        int nProcess;

while(nValue < 10000)
            {
                nProcess++;
            }
        return 0;
    }

:3
    Why the hell do you even have nValue? You could might as well use while (true).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    216 Posts
    Because skip bop boobity dwop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 15Informative x 5Useful x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    July 2009
    7,166 Posts
    Why the hell do you even have nValue? You could might as well use while (true).
    There are only so many boobs in the world. Just so happens that there are 19000 boobs on earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    There are only so many boobs in the world. Just so happens that there are 19000 boobs on earth.
    Though he never even increments nValue. He's also using an uninitialized variable...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    216 Posts
    I purposefully didn't increment nValue. I wasn't aware of that way for me to infinitely print "Boobs!", so I chose a way that I know.

Edit: K I revised it.

Code:
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        int nProcess;

while(true)
            {
                nProcess++;
            }
        return 0;
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

19. Post #179
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,404 Posts
    I made my own Pong, called as Pwong. Its the very original Pong, just with a powerup system added. When you get a high enough streak (you hit the ball enough times), you will be able to start different powerups, including:
    -Hit Attach - The ball will attach your paddle when it hits your paddle. Can be used 3 times.
    -Speed Multiplier - Your paddle's speed will increase, making it easier to hit the ball.
    -Bounceback - You will be able to "hit" the ball in mid-air.
    -Freeze - Freeze the opposing player for 1 seconds.

There are a few things that still need to be done. There is alot of har-coding on it, which may come problematic in the future. Made in XNA. Download may come if you want to test it out :) NOTE: The bounceback and freeze powerups may be buggy. Please say if they dont work :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Though he never even increments nValue. He's also using an uninitialized variable...
    C++ variables are initialized when they're declared.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 28Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

21. Post #181
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    I'm talking about initialized as in set to a defined value.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

22. Post #182
    May 2010
    5,378 Posts
    Code:
    int main()
    {

int a  = 0;
        int b;

std::cout << a << std::endl;

std::cout << b << std::endl;

return 0;
    }
    gives

Code:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Programming King Programming King x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    917 Posts
    In my opinion...
    Elaborate
    No. Rate me disagree but I don't have to elaborate my opinion to anyone. That's the point. It's my opinion.

Fucking internet elitist who think everyone has to bow down and explain everything to them. Go preach religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #184
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Seriously... Writing shaders for intel GPUs... You write something good and stable that's working on your nvidia/ati pgu but when you run the shit om your laptop everything is pitch black... hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Sweden Show Events

25. Post #185
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    No. Rate me disagree but I don't have to elaborate my opinion to anyone. That's the point. It's my opinion.

Fucking internet elitist who think everyone has to bow down and explain everything to them. Go preach religion.
    I said "elaborate" because I was unsure how a giant bullet replaces the function of a turret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #186
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts

I made pretty twinkling starfields, and asteroids now bounce off those green trails you can lay down.
    They don't actually bounce since basic 2d physics hurts my brain. Each asteroid turns 180 degrees when it intersects with a line segment, and has a timer that runs down to make sure it doesn't turn around like 50 times a second while colliding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I use a different password for everything. Not necessarily for personal security, but if one service is breached, no one will have access to the other services I use. It's hard to remember 20 different passwords though, so what most people do is write down passwords somewhere.

Instead, I wrote an application that copies a desired password to the clipboard after entering a master password. The password list is embedded in the application, encrypted with AES256 with the master password as key.

When the program verifies that the passwords were encrypted properly, you are allowed to select a password from the list and copy it to the clipboard.

I'm by no means a security expert, but I think this is a reasonably safe solution. Here is the full source code, because obscurity isn't security. Any comments? All I can think of is encrypting the salt and initial vector as well somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    Instead, I wrote an application that copies a desired password to the clipboard after entering a master password.

When the program verifies that the passwords were encrypted properly, you are allowed to select a password from the list and copy it to the clipboard.

I'm by no means a security expert, but I think this is a reasonably safe solution.
    I hope it's a safe solution, since it's the way Keepass works, which is what I use.

Edited:

Then again, I think the majority of Keepass's security comes from the fact that you have to use key files to unlock the database.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #189
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Then again, I think the majority of Keepass's security comes from the fact that you have to use key files to unlock the database.
    Keepass looks a bit complex to me for its purpose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    196 Posts
    Any comments?
    I'm sure any keylogger worth it's salt would record the contents of the clipboard on ctrl+v (or on change). If you're avoiding ctrl+v and ignoring the possibility that a trojan could just read the contents of any password field in your webbrowser of choice then you're perhaps more secure than without your app. Not sure that this app offers anything over storing passwords in an encrypted and passworded archive though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    I'm sure any keylogger worth it's salt would record the contents of the clipboard on ctrl+v.
    Not if it's a hardware keylogger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Code:
    int main()
    {

int a  = 0;
        int b;

std::cout << a << std::endl;

std::cout << b << std::endl;

return 0;
    }
    gives

Code:
    I don't mean to be pedantic, but I think it's worth mentioning here that it's undefined behaviour. So this output is implementation dependant. Chances are you'll get a different result when you run in debug mode to when you run in release mode for example. You may even find in debug mode your program works fine because the compiler adds a few extra instructions to set the memory to zero.

This is something anybody who learns C(++) should be taking into account when developing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #193
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Not sure that this app offers anything over storing passwords in an encrypted and passworded archive though?
    Imagine being in a public place, opening the passworded archive and having your passwords all over the screen in Notepad. That's why I made this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts

Dude, you read way to much into a single word.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

35. Post #195
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 20Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #196
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts
    Looking awesome! What are you making it with?

Also pointless but hopefully pretty content:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts
    Looking awesome! What are you making it with?
    C# + SFML + my own libraries

Here's holding 2 swords, 2 shields and an AK-47 at the same time.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 25Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    196 Posts
    Imagine being in a public place, opening the passworded archive and having your passwords all over the screen in Notepad. That's why I made this.
    If you find it useful that's great, but personally I don't think it would be a huge issue if the passwords are already too complex for you to remember easily (let alone someone else at a glance). I'm also assuming the archive would have a file per password so they wouldn't all be on the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #199
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts
    C# + SFML + my own libraries

Here's holding 2 swords, 2 shields and an AK-47 at the same time.

That's all well and good but you're not getting my money until there's saddowns zombies to fight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    No wonder it is so much slower.

public bool HasFlag(Enum flag)
    {
        if (!base.GetType().IsEquivalentTo(flag.GetType()))
        {
            throw new ArgumentException(Environment.GetResourceString("Argument_EnumTypeDoesNotMatch", new object[] { flag.GetType(), base.GetType() }));
        }
        ulong num = ToUInt64(flag.GetValue());
        return ((ToUInt64(this.GetValue()) & num) == num);
    }

Shitty redgate reflector hiding this (Shows as an empty method in reflector, ilspy however shows it). I don't even know why I use it anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)