1. Post #561
    June 2011
    342 Posts
    I am currently working on getting a decent AABB collision response to work.
    I invested a lot of time now and it does it's job but doesn't run very smoothly.
    Can someone please have a look at it?
    I am sure this is a simple problem but I'm just a bit to dumb to see it right now...
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3192286/PlayerPhysics.rar

Just try to move inside corners and you'll clearly see the stuttering. :(
    Also while sliding against a wall that is composed of tiles the player often suddenly stops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

2. Post #562
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts
    Oh gosh, Windows 8 (Visual Studio 11) has improved C++ Intellisense so it's almost exactly like C#'s. Oh gosh, all of my semen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative x 15Winner x 8Agree x 4Funny x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #563
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,046 Posts
    Oh gosh, Windows 8 has improved C++ Intellisense so it's almost exactly like C#'s. Oh gosh, all of my semen
    Maybe now i can start learning C++ again without quitting because i keep forgetting everything and intellisense isn't helping me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree x 9Funny x 3Dumb x 3Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #564
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,017 Posts
    Scrolls™!

Also I rewrote the magic system completely. Before I did, each spell was a class. Now spells are defined in JSON objects like this:

When a spell is created in-game it can have a strength from 0.0 to 1.0, like how items have a quality in the same range. The JSON object describes the properties of the spell when it has different strengths, and some overall properties like colour and whether it is a projectile etc. When a spell hits a target (or the caster if it is a self-inflicting spell like a healing one) it attaches a MagicalEffect to the target entity. The qualities object allows you to pass variables into the MagicalEffect, such as "hit damage" which is specific to the GenericDamageEffect effect. The value passed to the effect is interpolated between the first two numbers based on the strength of the spell, and skewed by the third number if present. Also, the description field can use values from the qualities object when they are surrounded by square brackets. You can write your own MagicalEffect classes to do practically anything without having to recompile the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

5. Post #565
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Hey man good work. Got a couple of questions, did you compare marmalade to anything similar? Are there any major annoyances?
    When I did my research, I came up with a list:

Unity - C#, separate $400 iOS license, separate $400 Android license, needs a Mac to deploy to iOS (AFAIK)

Corona - C++, combined $350 iOS/Android license, needs a Mac to deploy to iOS

Native builds - C++ (need custom Java/ObjC++ glue code), free, terribly complicated build chain on Windows for Android, needs a Mac to deploy iOS

Marmalade - C++, $150 iOS/Android license, integrates directly with MSVC, 1-click deployment to Android and iOS, can deploy to iOS directly from Windows

Marmalade has an absolutely amazing tool set, amazing documentation, and it's an absolute dream to program with - everything is extremely clean and everything Just Works - if it works in the Marmalade Simulator, it works on Android and iOS

Edited:

Throughout the entire development of the game so far (it's going to be released in 1-2 months), I have encountered only one annoyance:

Marmalade's sound system has a bug where the first few seconds of playback are silent...but this was easily fixed by playing a silent sound on game startup, essentially "warm-starting" the sound system and everything then works as expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Useful Useful x 4 (list)

6. Post #566
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    986 Posts
    Scrolls™!

Also I rewrote the magic system completely. Before I did, each spell was a class. Now spells are defined in JSON objects like this:

That's nice, but names should be like "Cold Blast, Frost Blast, Frost Shard, Frost Bolt, Frozen Bolt, Ice Bolt, Ice Spike"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13 (list)

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    That's nice, but names should be like "Cold Blast, Frost Blast, Frost Shard, Frost Bolt, Frozen Bolt, Ice Bolt, Ice Spike"
    Frost Blast implies a completely different type of spell than Ice Bolt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #568
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,893 Posts
    Scrolls™!
    Look out for bethesda AND mojang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,090 Posts
    lmao @ whoever was commenting on my video implying it was made entirely in ae and saying scripting isn't programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #570
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,482 Posts
    Not Scrolls

Edited:

I might have to take a look at Marmalade, I only have an android license for now but I might be getting an iOS one soon.

Edited:

Also for science fair this year I'm going to be doing a study on different pathfinding algorithms, the results of which might be helpful for some WAYWOers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #571
    May 2010
    5,375 Posts
    lmao @ whoever was commenting on my video implying it was made entirely in ae and saying scripting isn't programming.
    What video?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #572

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,073 Posts
    You might remember my frustrated post from yesterday about implementing A* in Minecraft. Well, after debugging the pathfinder about 4 times as long as it took to write it, it is now working.

Cows are now officially the smartest beings in Minecraftia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Winner Winner x 39Programming King Programming King x 5Funny Funny x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #574
    June 2011
    342 Posts
    You might remember my frustrated post from yesterday about implementing A* in Minecraft. Well, after debugging the pathfinder about 4 times as long as it took to write it, it is now working.

good work!
    idk what algorithm notch uses for pathfinding now (if any at all ), but this looks so much better.

But there is one thing that bugs me: make sure you include proper smoothing for the view angles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #575
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    1,311 Posts

Does that cow have Tourette's?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,462 Posts
    good work!
    idk what algorithm notch uses for pathfinding now (if any at all ), but this looks so much better.

But there is one thing that bugs me: make sure you include proper smoothing for the view angles
    Code:
    while( true )
    {
        wander();
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 34Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #577
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Look out for bethesda AND mojang
    I think the Q3 duel just turned into a deathmatch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

18. Post #578
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,073 Posts
    good work!

Thanks. Smoothing is probably only a matter of changing one or two lines of code and balancing accuracy against Tourette's.
    Code:
    while( true )
    {
        wander();
    }
    Actually yes, but the wandering is using some kind of pathfinding algorithm http://pastebin.com/DMPt391Z
    I don't get what he's trying to accomplish there, but it's obviously not working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #579
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    so, uh, i changed my text-based level/replay formats to binary ones, and, uh...

loading levels/replays became slower ugh i hate when this happens

i'm gonna try reading the entire file into memory and then using memcpy() on that buffer instead of individual read() calls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

20. Post #580
    December 2007
    1,113 Posts
    I am currently working on getting a decent AABB collision response to work.
    I invested a lot of time now and it does it's job but doesn't run very smoothly.
    Can someone please have a look at it?
    I am sure this is a simple problem but I'm just a bit to dumb to see it right now...
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3192286/PlayerPhysics.rar

Just try to move inside corners and you'll clearly see the stuttering. :(
    Also while sliding against a wall that is composed of tiles the player often suddenly stops.
    Take a look at my approach. I didn't look at your source but I hope you can find this useful. If not, I'll take a look at your source code tomorrow :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3724424/Prog...5september.rar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Maybe now i can start learning C++ again without quitting because i keep forgetting everything and intellisense isn't helping me
    If you need intellisense to use a language you've got bigger problems...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #582
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    If you need intellisense to use a language you've got bigger problems...
    intellisense (autocompletion in general) is a gift when programming; one of the main reasons i'm able to pump out massive amounts of code in short time periods is because i only have to type 2-3 keystrokes for every function/variable/etc. and hit enter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #583
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    intellisense (autocompletion in general) is a gift when programming; one of the main reasons i'm able to pump out massive amounts of code in short time periods is because i only have to type 2-3 keystrokes for every function/variable/etc. and hit enter
    Yes but to actually need it to use the language effectively is a bit absurd.

Also quoted post was not dumb, it made sense, just wasn't what I was talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #584
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,222 Posts
    Scrolls™!

When a spell is created in-game it can have a strength from 0.0 to 1.0, like how items have a quality in the same range. The JSON object describes the properties of the spell when it has different strengths, and some overall properties like colour and whether it is a projectile etc. When a spell hits a target (or the caster if it is a self-inflicting spell like a healing one) it attaches a MagicalEffect to the target entity. The qualities object allows you to pass variables into the MagicalEffect, such as "hit damage" which is specific to the GenericDamageEffect effect. The value passed to the effect is interpolated between the first two numbers based on the strength of the spell, and skewed by the third number if present. Also, the description field can use values from the qualities object when they are surrounded by square brackets. You can write your own MagicalEffect classes to do practically anything without having to recompile the game.
    That's not regular JSON? What's that parenthesis at the beggining? Some kind of custom identifier you parse before the rest?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #585
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    ah, fuck. reading the whole file into memory doesn't help much, actually i think it just got worse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Good thing it covers exceptions and whatnot, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

27. Post #587
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    Intellisense is just basically a extremely fast way to look up 90% of the information you need but don't have when programming. The alternative would be google searches.

I have no idea why people think it's a crutch.

Edited:

Programming is about processing information (thinking), not memorizing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    When I did my research, I came up with a list:

Unity - C#, separate $400 iOS license, separate $400 Android license, needs a Mac to deploy to iOS (AFAIK)

Corona - C++, combined $350 iOS/Android license, needs a Mac to deploy to iOS

Native builds - C++ (need custom Java/ObjC++ glue code), free, terribly complicated build chain on Windows for Android, needs a Mac to deploy iOS

Marmalade - C++, $150 iOS/Android license, integrates directly with MSVC, 1-click deployment to Android and iOS, can deploy to iOS directly from Windows

Marmalade has an absolutely amazing tool set, amazing documentation, and it's an absolute dream to program with - everything is extremely clean and everything Just Works - if it works in the Marmalade Simulator, it works on Android and iOS

Edited:

Throughout the entire development of the game so far (it's going to be released in 1-2 months), I have encountered only one annoyance:

Marmalade's sound system has a bug where the first few seconds of playback are silent...but this was easily fixed by playing a silent sound on game startup, essentially "warm-starting" the sound system and everything then works as expected.
    Thanks for the informative reply, I'm gonna have a good look into marmalade, so far it's looking excellent.

By the way, I think you still need a Mac to deploy your app to the App store:

However, a Mac is currently required to upload final app builds to the App Store due to the store's dependency on the Mac App Loader. This may be improved in a future release.
    http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/devnet/faqs#-iOS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

29. Post #589
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts

By the way, I think you still need a Mac to deploy your app to the App store:

http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/devnet/faqs#-iOS
    Well that's unfortunate, but at least I can deploy and test straight out of MSVC on Windows. I can always borrow someone's Mac for 5 minutes to actually upload it if needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,996 Posts
    Well that's unfortunate, but at least I can deploy and test straight out of MSVC on Windows. I can always borrow someone's Mac for 5 minutes to actually upload it if needed.
    99% sure that's been resolved, I looked about it last week.

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    I'm really enjoying Befunge.

Code:
    >91+":eman ruoy retnE",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3>:~:19+-v
                                            ^<<+1p3\_$$98+2*\3pv
    v                                                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    <v"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     v<                                                                             
     >^
    Something as simple as storing a string to memory looks like this!

Also, holy crap that was some serious alliteration.

32. Post #592
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    1,311 Posts
    I'm really enjoying Befunge.

Code:
    >91+":eman ruoy retnE",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3>:~:19+-v
                                            ^<<+1p3\_$$98+2*\3pv
    v                                                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    <v"<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     v<                                                                             
     >^
    Something as simple as storing a string to memory looks like this!

Also, holy crap that was some serious alliteration.
    Always with the Alliteration. Almost seems Apparent that people Attempt to do it on purpose?

Edited:

In seriousness, I can't make heads or tails of that.

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    I wrote the damn thing and I don't even know what's really going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,893 Posts

-snip i am blind and couldn't read the rest of the thread rate dumb-
    -or actually wait with the dumbs and i'll post content after school-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #595
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,825 Posts
    Update:

the black pavement means it is connected to at least one neighbor tile.

And the dirt raising is slow as hell when recording with fraps.

Map generated near the end with this:

Each pixel represents a corner ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 18Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,484 Posts
    When did garry merge the showcase forums back into the programming forums?

Edited:

And why didn't he remove the "what is showcase?" sticky?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #597
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,017 Posts
    That's not regular JSON? What's that parenthesis at the beggining? Some kind of custom identifier you parse before the rest?
    I wrote the JSON parser myself, and added the ability to add an identifier before an object definition. Now I can get all the JSON objects loaded with a given identifier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,019 Posts
    99% sure that's been resolved, I looked about it last week.
    Well even if it isn't, it's not that hard to find someone with a mac. The good part is you can build the ipa on windows and deploy it to a jailbroken iphone for testing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

39. Post #599
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,841 Posts
    After a long while I did something quick in C# and with the exception of a divide by zero I forgot to account for, everything worked perfectly on first try :buddy:

Oh hey I just made a programming joke without realizing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

40. Post #600
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    After a long while I did something quick in C# and with the exception of a divide by zero I forgot to account for, everything worked perfectly on first try :buddy:

Oh hey I just made a programming joke without realizing
    Exceptional work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Zing Zing x 1 (list)